GDT: 2019 World Championship

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like I said goal post moving.

Ep40- franchise player..Boeser etc. Someone else needs to get credit.

JV - Juolevi etc...any bust....pitchfork out .lmao.

Benning literally got a contract extension solely based on his drafting. That's a fact...

I'm surprised posters here dont hate EP40 and Boeser. Literally only reason why Benning still has a job

Anyways back to world championship.

Hughes looking good paired with Skeij.

There are no moving goalposts.

Hughes was a Benning pick. Benning (and the scouting staff, to be fair) clearly wanted him, and if that pick works out great, full credit to Benning. I've said this repeatedly.

The rest of the picks, nope. You can try assuming they're all the same and he gets credit, but there has been scads of information released over the past 5 years about our top picks and how they came about and we know that Juolevi and Virtanen were Benning overruling the scouts, and that Pettersson he wanted to overrule the scouts and take a different player. Unfortunately - but predictably - he's as bad at drafting as everything else.

And yes, he got his new contract solely based on Boeser and Pettersson (because god knows there's nothing else). But because credit has been mis-attributed to him or he was saved by dumb luck in the case of not trading the Boeser pick doesn't mean he deserved that extension or was actually good at scouting.

And yes, Hughes looks solid at the WC and has played well.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There are no moving goalposts.

Hughes was a Benning pick. Benning (and the scouting staff, to be fair) clearly wanted him, and if that pick works out great, full credit to Benning. I've said this repeatedly.

The rest of the picks, nope. You can try assuming they're all the same and he gets credit, but there has been scads of information released over the past 5 years about our top picks and how they came about and we know that Juolevi and Virtanen were Benning overruling the scouts, and that Pettersson he wanted to overrule the scouts and take a different player. Unfortunately - but predictably - he's as bad at drafting as everything else.

And yes, he got his new contract solely based on Boeser and Pettersson (because god knows there's nothing else). But because credit has been mis-attributed to him or he was saved by dumb luck in the case of not trading the Boeser pick doesn't mean he deserved that extension or was actually good at scouting.

And yes, Hughes looks solid at the WC and has played well.
One of the posters here mentioned prior to the draft last year (post was deleted by mods) that the Hughes pick was actually Aquillini driven.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One of the posters here mentioned prior to the draft last year (post was deleted by mods) that the Hughes pick was actually Aquillini driven.

I’m not sure if I buy that.

Benning has absolutely zero guile and is the easiest person alive to read. He was practically soiling his pants and sprinting to the stage to draft Hughes. And the Hughes family are friends of Weisbrod’s family.

Not saying it’s beyond our idiot owner to interfere but I’d be very surprised if Hughes wasn’t Benning’s top choice there.

Reactions: Josepho

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’m not sure if I buy that.

Benning has absolutely zero guile and is the easiest person alive to read. He was practically soiling his pants and sprinting to the stage to draft Hughes. And the Hughes family are friends of Weisbrod’s family.

Not saying it’s beyond our idiot owner to interfere but I’d be very surprised if Hughes wasn’t Benning’s top choice there.
Yeah, it's hard to say. But I wouldn't put it past him and may have been influenced by the Weisbrod connection.

Benning did say they had the exact same top 8 as the draft went down, just not the order. I just don't think it's a given Hughes ends up the best player available, most talented maybe, but that Dobson kid can play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, it's hard to say. But I wouldn't put it past him and may have been influenced by the Weisbrod connection.

Benning did say they had the exact same top 8 as the draft went down, just not the order. I just don't think it's a given Hughes ends up the best player available, most talented maybe, but that Dobson kid can play.

I had Dobson as the player I'd have taken at the time and said at the time that I fully expected that the hype on Hughes would dwarf that of Dobson for the next 1-2 years as he destroyed a WJC (which he didn't actually) and looked amazing in youtube clips and his skating quickly got him to the NHL. Which has been what's happened.

But I still feel that Dobson will be a 25+ minute all-situations #1 Pietrangelo type 3-4 years down the road which is a more valuable asset than the Krug/Barrie-type Hughes projects as. We'll see. They'll probably both be excellent players of a very different type.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Well for sure the Virtanen pick was owner driven...

If the Virtanen pick was owner driven that is a clear indictment of the Aquilini's meddling and incompetence.

It does not matter one way or another to the fans if a kid is local. Not unless that local kid is a franchise player.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.

Wasn't the pick driven by the fact that Weisbrod was extremely close to the Hughes family? Including saying that he wanted to make sure he went up to the podium if they were picking him in the behind the draft video?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Can't say enough about that great pass by DuBois to Stone for the winner in OT. Canada never quits.

Feel for the Swiss fans. They almost did it.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Wasn't the pick driven by the fact that Weisbrod was extremely close to the Hughes family? Including saying that he wanted to make sure he went up to the podium if they were picking him in the behind the draft video?

No, he was saying that when the detroit red wings were picking and they thought for sure that the red wings would pick hughes (since he was in the michigan program) so he wanted to go up and congratulate him believing he would be picked by them. It wouldn't make sense that he would say that he wanted to go up to the podium when we pick because he was going to go up during our pick anyways.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson is so much fun to watch on big ice, he loves to really dangle with extra room.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Fins upset the Swedes in OT
For some reason, Mr. Eriksson was on the ice in OT..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I had Dobson as the player I'd have taken at the time and said at the time that I fully expected that the hype on Hughes would dwarf that of Dobson for the next 1-2 years as he destroyed a WJC (which he didn't actually) and looked amazing in youtube clips and his skating quickly got him to the NHL. Which has been what's happened.

But I still feel that Dobson will be a 25+ minute all-situations #1 Pietrangelo type 3-4 years down the road which is a more valuable asset than the Krug/Barrie-type Hughes projects as. We'll see. They'll probably both be excellent players of a very different type.
They are different style of players. Hughes has more flash in his game. Dobson does project to be an every situation player. Not going to worry whether he’s on the ice against a speed guy or a power guy.

I had hoped for Dobson at the draft expected Hughes to go to either AZ or Det. The Hayton pick changed things.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I feel SO sorry for you guys that are stuck with Loui f***ing Eriksson. I had hopes he could at last show he has some hockey left in him. Nope, he was just as bloody awful as ever. Even worse, our incompetent coach also believed he has something great left in him, which he never showed, much more of the contrary. Loui was bloody useless in the QF against Finland (and most of the tournament really), yet the moronic, incompetent Swedish coached played him the second most of all forwards in the 3rd and even played him in the 3v3 OT! How did Loui manage that time? Well, he killed all momentum every time he was on the ice, with interest.

Loui should do the honorary thing and just retire, or you should just demote him and leave him to rot. He's soooo done. Bloody useless. He's not worth a buyout, just bury him and let him eat popcorn or ride the bus in AHL until he gets the message. Maybe he can be a 3rd liner in AHL @ $6m.

He can't skate, he can't pass a puck, he can't deflect pucks, he can't shoot, he can't win a board battle, he can't hustle, he can't screen the goalie and he can't clear a puck unless it's on the PK. He can score goals in an open net. What a unique quality to have.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I feel SO sorry for you guys that are stuck with Loui ****ing Eriksson. I had hopes he could at last show he has some hockey left in him. Nope, he was just as bloody awful as ever. Even worse, our incompetent coach also believed he has something great left in him, which he never showed, much more of the contrary. Loui was bloody useless in the QF against Finland (and most of the tournament really), yet the moronic, incompetent Swedish coached played him the second most of all forwards in the 3rd and even played him in the 3v3 OT! How did Loui manage that time? Well, he killed all momentum every time he was on the ice, with interest.

Loui should do the honorary thing and just retire, or you should just demote him and leave him to rot. He's soooo done. Bloody useless. He's not worth a buyout, just bury him and let him eat popcorn or ride the bus in AHL until he gets the message. Maybe he can be a 3rd liner in AHL @ $6m.
Inb4 he blames the head coach again

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Loui Eriksson: -11 in 9 games, with most of the games against weak competition. The team was +19 or so in total. Even if you really suck, that's hard to accomplish playing for Sweden. That's just pure talent in being bloody awful. All his goals were in an open net, none of his points impressive. And then we haven't even accounted for things like his own goal playing on the PK. And he STILL got a ton of ice time. I can't even...

Pettersson was pretty great though. He struggled earlier in the tournament, but worked himself into making an impact.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
He played so well, but I'm relieved that EP didn't get injured in this tournament. He is such fun to watch.

Looking forward to his appearance at the NHL Awards next month.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I feel SO sorry for you guys that are stuck with Loui ****ing Eriksson. I had hopes he could at last show he has some hockey left in him. Nope, he was just as bloody awful as ever. Even worse, our incompetent coach also believed he has something great left in him, which he never showed, much more of the contrary. Loui was bloody useless in the QF against Finland (and most of the tournament really), yet the moronic, incompetent Swedish coached played him the second most of all forwards in the 3rd and even played him in the 3v3 OT! How did Loui manage that time? Well, he killed all momentum every time he was on the ice, with interest.

He can't skate, he can't pass a puck, he can't deflect pucks, he can't shoot, he can't win a board battle, he can't hustle, he can't screen the goalie and he can't clear a puck unless it's on the PK. He can score goals in an open net. What a unique quality to have.
He has one great quality..ripping off Benning and Aquaboy. High level Grift that only a select few have.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Well at least in Vancouver Loui's buried in the bottom six and just plays PK for the most part, right? I don't know what dirt he had on our coach but he almost lead all forwards in tournament ice time, played on the #1 PP and even played the 3 on 3 OT. It's not like he was some kind of revelation in a new system either, he just kept playing like in Vancouver and kept getting ice time.

Reactions: Chimp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad