GDT: 2019 World Championship

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Glad to see all mighty Eriksson still gets the favouritism over Jesper Bratt during 5 on 5 and PP time over Nylander who has been the best Swedish player so far

I might be thinking of somebody else, but isn’t this the same Swedish national team coach that’s had a bit of a history of making these sorts of head scratching decisions for World Championship/Olympic teams before?

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I might be thinking of somebody else, but isn’t this the same Swedish national team coach that’s had a bit of a history of making these sorts of head scratching decisions for World Championship/Olympic teams before?

It can't hurt if he's inadvertently pumping up Eriksson's trade value.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Jeez this Sweden v. Latvia game was a tough one for me. Being Latvian im naturally cheering for my team, but at the same time im hoping Petey does well. Then he goes and does his stare down stunt after his goal, which just got my blood going and my feelings mixed :laugh::laugh:.
Not sure im understanding this death stare hes just looking thats all no emotion like the evil eye just looking hmm strange

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Not sure im understanding this death stare hes just looking thats all no emotion like the evil eye just looking hmm strange
Before he scored there was some back and forth between the teams, after the game he said our team was talking trash to him, but it was all in good fun. All in all, the game was a great one, lots of up and downs.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Marky was completely left out to dry today, it was ridiculous.
I counted at least 8 turnovers in front of the net to russia in the 2nd period alone

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
McCann with a nice goal today too.

Mcann is another example that Benning knows what hes doing w. Drafting.

Hopefully his trading catches up to his superior drafting skills.

I think it was the right move to trade Mcann based on all the reports about his attitude and ego...I just think the trade was awful.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mcann is another example that Benning knows what hes doing w. Drafting.

Hopefully his trading catches up to his superior drafting skills.

I think it was the right move to trade Mcann based on all the reports about his attitude and ego...I just think the trade was awful.

I mean, I guess passing on Pastrnak for McCann is better than overruling the scouts to screw up the Virtanen and Juolevi picks, trying to trade the Boeser pick for Lucic on draft day, and trying to push the team away from drafting Pettersson. Quite a high water mark there from hockey’s Forrest Gump.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I mean, I guess passing on Pastrnak for McCann is better than overruling the scouts to screw up the Virtanen and Juolevi picks, trying to trade the Boeser pick for Lucic on draft day, and trying to push the team away from drafting Pettersson. Quite a high water mark there from hockey’s Forrest Gump.

Ah so the goal post is moving again I see...

I was merely responding to the multiple posts complementing how good Mcann is now..which of course is a compliment to Benning and his drafting.

As for Pastrnak. .dont make me laugh. Tons of GM passed up on him ..even GMs that are considered top 5 in the league. You can make a case for every GM on a player they passed up on during their careers. Nobody bats .1000

That was a jackpot lottery pick in the 20s. We did the same thing a year later with Boeser.

Anyways... good to see Mcann doing well. Hopefully his character issues are past him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

LMAO. I dont think you understood what was happening on draft day 2017

Benning had EP40 pegged right from the get go.. * points him out from the crowd before it starts * flew him to Vancouver to have dinner w Linden and Sedins etc...

He tried to trade back 1 spot to get assets as he was sure Vegas wanted Glass. Vegas didn't want to pay the price.

He then spoke to Sabres about trading from 5 to 8 but quickly nixed it when Rangers traded for the 7th OA pick. The rangers were rumored to be very much wanting EP40. Remember EP40 was ranked somewhere around 10-15 on most boards with the occasional top 10.

So there was at no point that Benning wanted to move away from EP40....once again the goal post moved as on draft day he was crucified for taking EP40 waay too early and now you're trying to blame him for not instantly and firmly staying at 5 and drafting him there without trying to move back.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

“If he was there at No. 5, we were going to draft him,” said Benning. “We knew he has a special skill set and felt with the wingers we had in our system, a playmaker was a need. He had the vision and with his release from the half wall — he could really rip it — it was the (draft) separation.”
Still, Benning pondered a swap of first-round picks with Buffalo (eighth overall) and Vegas to add an additional later pick. The Golden Knights liked Glass, but weren’t sure what the Canucks were going to do. And with the New York Rangers getting the seventh selection, picking eighth didn’t ensure Benning would land Pettersson. Either did the sixth pick, because Vegas could have had a change of heart.
“I didn’t want to risk not getting Elias and didn’t want to draft too far down — that’s where you get in trouble,” recalled Benning. “My philosophy was you just take him.”
[email protected]

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ah so the goal post is moving again I see...

I was merely responding to the multiple posts complementing how good Mcann is now..which of course is a compliment to Benning and his drafting.

As for Pastrnak. .dont make me laugh. Tons of GM passed up on him ..even GMs that are considered top 5 in the league. You can make a case for every GM on a player they passed up on during their careers. Nobody bats .1000

That was a jackpot lottery pick in the 20s. We did the same thing a year later with Boeser.

Anyways... good to see Mcann doing well. Hopefully his character issues are past him.

It’s pretty funny to see someone using McCann to defend Benning.

Like, he was an OK pick but a superstar was taken with the next pick.

Then Benning and his Advanced Development Program decided to rush this physically and emotionally unready player to the NHL. And keep him there when it was obvious he wasn’t ready. And then, when he was a bit immature as a teenager who shouldn’t even have been in the league, made a disastrous evaluation and dealt him away in one of the worst trades of the past 5 years.

The whole McCann thing was a complete cluster**** that was completely on Benning.

LMAO. I dont think you understood what was happening on draft day 2017

Benning had EP40 pegged right from the get go.. * points him out from the crowd before it starts * flew him to Vancouver to have dinner w Linden and Sedins etc...

He tried to trade back 1 spot to get assets as he was sure Vegas wanted Glass. Vegas didn't want to pay the price.

He then spoke to Sabres about trading from 5 to 8 but quickly nixed it when Rangers traded for the 7th OA pick. The rangers were rumored to be very much wanting EP40. Remember EP40 was ranked somewhere around 10-15 on most boards with the occasional top 10.

So there was at no point that Benning wanted to move away from EP40....once again the goal post moved as on draft day he was crucified for taking EP40 waay too early and now you're trying to blame him for not instantly and firmly staying at 5 and drafting him there without trying to move back.

That’s literally the exact opposite of what happened, as has now been confirmed in the media. And you know what I said is correct.

Yes, Benning said nice things about the guy he just picked. Like what was he gonna say? ‘I didn’t like this guy as much as Glass and Linden made me take him?’

Keep shillin’!

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
It’s pretty funny to see someone using McCann to defend Benning.

Like, he was an OK pick but a superstar was taken with the next pick.

Then Benning and his Advanced Development Program decided to rush this physically and emotionally unready player to the NHL. And keep him there when it was obvious he wasn’t ready. And then, when he was a bit immature as a teenager who shouldn’t even have been in the league, made a disastrous evaluation and dealt him away in one of the worst trades of the past 5 years.

The whole McCann thing was a complete cluster**** that was completely on Benning.

That’s literally the exact opposite of what happened, as has now been confirmed in the media. And you know what I said is correct.

Yes, Benning said nice things about the guy he just picked. Like what was he gonna say? ‘I didn’t like this guy as much as Glass and Linden made me take him?’

Keep shillin’!

What is the exact opposite of what happened ?

I provided a source... can you ?

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
JD Burke a few days ago. Use the search function.

Nah you're the one making a claim. So you provide the source.

I provided Kuzma article on my source on what happened draft 2017. It also was an interview and direct quotes from Benning.

Not a 3rd party hearsay like JD Burke or others.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nah you're the one making a claim. So you provide the source.

I provided Kuzma article on my source on what happened draft 2017. It also was an interview and direct quotes from Benning.

Not a 3rd party hearsay like JD Burke or others.

This has been discussed here repeatedly in the past few days. The Burke interview has its own freaking thread. Look it up.

This is basically a dead issue at this point. There was a massive pile of circumstantial evidence and it’s now been confirmed by a credible media source. Stop wasting everyone’s time.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This has been discussed here repeatedly in the past few days. The Burke interview has its own freaking thread. Look it up.

This is basically a dead issue at this point. There was a massive pile of circumstantial evidence and it’s now been confirmed by a credible media source. Stop wasting everyone’s time.

Like I said goal post moving.

Ep40- franchise player..Boeser etc. Someone else needs to get credit.

JV - Juolevi etc...any bust....pitchfork out .lmao.

Benning literally got a contract extension solely based on his drafting. That's a fact...

I'm surprised posters here dont hate EP40 and Boeser. Literally only reason why Benning still has a job

Anyways back to world championship.

Hughes looking good paired with Skeij.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad