WJC: 2019 WJC U20 D1A in Füssen, Germany (9/12 - 15/12 2018)

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
He sure didn't look good in the shootout, but in the game he was really good I thought.
Sure. In my opinion though, he really only had like 3 big saves in regulation though. We outshot Germany actually 25-22 through 60, though they had like 70-30 possession, which is a testament to how well our defense played. And most shots that even did come were from tough angles or far away. He came up big, and he was good enough but I would personally stop short of saying he was good, generally speaking.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I want to express my disappointment in the new IIHF website. It used to be really easy to find the tournament pages for the various lower divisions while active, now it has one big article and then hides them. And even once you get to said page it is a jumbled mess of trying to see scores, and far more confusing than before. This trend of turning websites into this same mess of bloated white-filled spaces has to stop, it looks awful.
Absolutely. IIHF took the page out of NHL book how to ruin a perfectly fine website by making a complete "mobile-friendly" mess.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
2-0 Norway, they just scored the strangest goal. Is there no audio on these streams?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Absolutely. IIHF took the page out of NHL book how to ruin a perfectly fine website by making a complete "mobile-friendly" mess.

Thankfully Wikipedia is fairly quick to update these tournaments, and in a easily readable manner (though I'm biased in that I work on said articles).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Thankfully Wikipedia is fairly quick to update these tournaments, and in a easily readable manner (though I'm biased in that I work on said articles).
Good job, that is exactly where I went to check the info on last year's tournament.

Also needless to say this tournament has not started as expected. Germany has failed upwards (is that the expression) by only dropping a point against Austria.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ugh, tied 3 to 3.That goal with 1 second left in the 2nd really gave them all the momentum

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I honestly have no clue how Norway ever made it a close game. They are slow, except Solem and Vikingstad. They can't complete even short and uncontested passes. They routinely lose the puck when stickhandling alone. Skill-wise, they've played exactly like the Norway we expected but somehow still got three goals.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also needless to say this tournament has not started as expected. Germany has failed upwards (is that the expression) by only dropping a point against Austria.
Talk about speaking too soon :help:

A lot like Kabidjan said, Belarus is just better. Definitely favorites of the tournament in my eyes (not exactly a bold statement). Great comeback from them should add confidence going forward as well.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
If I had to guess, Norway is going straight back down. They didn't deserve a point against Belarus today. Players were slow, couldn't make fundamental passes even when no one was contesting, they lost the puck routinely even when no one was around. Not a single even slightly impressive shot on the game today, and they probably whiffed on more one-timers than they made contact. Some mistakes you would assume are because Belarus is good, but a lot of these unforced errors are just a product of being bad at hockey...

Belarus looked fine today, they dominated front to back and it was only incidental that the pucks only began going in later in the game rather than earlier. They're not unbeatable, but they deserved all of the 3 points.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
If I had to guess, Norway is going straight back down. They didn't deserve a point against Belarus today. Players were slow, couldn't make fundamental passes even when no one was contesting, they lost the puck routinely even when no one was around. Not a single even slightly impressive shot on the game today, and they probably whiffed on more one-timers than they made contact. Some mistakes you would assume are because Belarus is good, but a lot of these unforced errors are just a product of being bad at hockey...

Belarus looked fine today, they dominated front to back and it was only incidental that the pucks only began going in later in the game rather than earlier. They're not unbeatable, but they deserved all of the 3 points.
I guess we will never agree :D When I praise Belarus, you crap on them and now vice versa. I think Belarus is better in every department bar G position, but they lacked any sort of cohesion today. They were bigger, faster and less lucky first 39:59 minutes of the game, yet somehow prevailed despite that. Their forecheck was too active for their own good and cost them multiple stick penalties which started the scoring today. They can only play better from here on.

Reactions: kabidjan18

su24

Sep 30, 2017
They had to adjust and adapt for the 1st half of the game. Sushko played at center for the 1st time since he was 15. He was sliding to the wing all the time. The best player in my opinion was Shchyochin.
Also every single player who scored a point is/was playing in North America (except KHLer Drozdov).

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I guess we will never agree :D When I praise Belarus, you crap on them and now vice versa. I think Belarus is better in every department bar G position, but they lacked any sort of cohesion today. They were bigger, faster and less lucky first 39:59 minutes of the game, yet somehow prevailed despite that. Their forecheck was too active for their own good and cost them multiple stick penalties which started the scoring today. They can only play better from here on.
Haha wait, how are we disagreeing? I meant to say I thought they did well, I mean they had possession pretty much throughout. I feel like it was just bad puck luck at the start.

Think about it this way. Norway had all the luck in the world for two periods, and Belarus still won. Thus I think there was truly no possibility that Norway could have won. Now, another team in their place, maybe, maybe Germany or something, but not Norway.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I want to express my disappointment in the new IIHF website. It used to be really easy to find the tournament pages for the various lower divisions while active, now it has one big article and then hides them. And even once you get to said page it is a jumbled mess of trying to see scores, and far more confusing than before. This trend of turning websites into this same mess of bloated white-filled spaces has to stop, it looks awful.

Try this, it's the backdoor to the IIHF website. There should be no reason ever that anyone needs to visit the actual website

IIHF - ICE HOCKEY / 2019 CHAMPIONSHIPS

D1A in particular 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Div I Group A

su24

Sep 30, 2017
l8n0p
The live streams from this tournament is a hot garbage. The Belarus-Norway broadcast didn't have ANY sounds from the arena, no replays, no any commentary or text information on the screen. Also last time Germany hosted WJC they charged for the streams. That should be shameful for a "civilized" country like Germany. Poland right now is hosting the U20 Division 1B tournament and they're doing a great job in that regard! I used to watch even Belarus Extraleague-2 games from god damned Orsha in a better quality, with scoreboard and clock on the screen.
I hope Germany would never get a chance to host any tournament like that. Those tournaments are for the fans from all around the world and there's a reason that's called a "world championship".

That's exactly how Belarus 4th goal looked on the stream (without any chance to watch any reply):

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Out of all places I would expect Germany to put up a quality broacasting for this tournament. Forget announcers for non-Germany games, but just don't mute the freaking sound altogether... Estonia year after year provides good quality in their 2A tournaments, how come in 2018 fans have to suffer like this?

Reactions: su24

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Haha wait, how are we disagreeing? I meant to say I thought they did well, I mean they had possession pretty much throughout. I feel like it was just bad puck luck at the start.

Think about it this way. Norway had all the luck in the world for two periods, and Belarus still won. Thus I think there was truly no possibility that Norway could have won. Now, another team in their place, maybe, maybe Germany or something, but not Norway.
Lets put it this way, after two periods of play I didn't feel that Belarus deserved anything out of the game despite the possession numbers. Their eventual comeback didnt feel obvious at all to me.

Reactions: kabidjan18

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Lets put it this way, after two periods of play I didn't feel that Belarus deserved anything out of the game despite the possession numbers. Their eventual comeback didnt feel obvious at all to me.
Ohh ok! Now I see, at first I thought you felt my post was critical.

I think Belarus showed this game that they are beatable. But the key is "beatable", and not "will be beaten". I think it's possible, I don't think anyone will do it.

Germany, to me, is a 3 man team. Before the game, one of the best german players texted an Austrian national team player something to the effect of "it's going to be a 10-0 victory." But I think what we saw from the first game is that they really don't have much depth of talent, just a few key stars in Bokk, Schutz, and Seider.

Watch out for Latvia. They may have lost a game, but they shouldn't have lost it. They're still incredibly dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad