GDT: 2019 WJC Summer Showcase | Broberg, Lavoie, and Rodrigue Playing | Jul 26 - Aug 3

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Did he tho?

I recall really starting to watch him during the Mem Cup and the one thing that didn't take long to notice was that he skated it low and just threw it away almost everytime.
Yeah I definitely don't agree with the poster that Nurse used to do that all the time in junior. He rarely attacked the middle of the ice off the rush like Broberg does.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nurse didn't play in the Memorial Cup. Could be thinking of the playoffs where SSM went up against McDavid's Otters.

Yup. That was it. Thanks. He definately wasn't driving any nets. I recall being very dissapointed by how many times he went low and just threw it away

Reactions: Raab

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Yeah I definitely don't agree with the poster that Nurse used to do that all the time in junior. He rarely attacked the middle of the ice off the rush like Broberg does.

You don't have to take my word for it. You can watch him make literally the exact same move Broberg made today in this youtube video:

Nurse had the reach and power to do this a lot. He tried it a lot.

People tend to remember what they want to remember. So if you want to remember Nurse throwing the puck away, that's what you'll remember. From watching him in junior, he had no fear of cutting towards the net. Sometimes he made it, sometimes he got angled off. But he could do it, and it was effective for him. In juniors.

EDIT: Oh, and by effective, I mean he was actually able to cut in a lot. He didn't score as much as he should have because his hands in close aren't great.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchtapejr

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You don't have to take my word for it. You can watch him make literally the exact same move Broberg made today in this youtube video:

Nurse had the reach and power to do this a lot. He tried it a lot.

People tend to remember what they want to remember. So if you want to remember Nurse throwing the puck away, that's what you'll remember. From watching him in junior, he had no fear of cutting towards the net. Sometimes he made it, sometimes he got angled off. But he could do it, and it was effective for him. In juniors.

EDIT: Oh, and by effective, I mean he was actually able to cut in a lot. He didn't score as much as he should have because his hands in close aren't great.

I chose the word rarely for a reason. One replay isn't going to change my mind on the 30+ games I saw of Nurse prior to graduating to pro hockey. He rarely attacked the middle of the ice and I could just as easily link you replays of his where he drives wide and throws it on net from a terrible angle. I also don't think Nurse is as fast as Broberg, so the ability to translate those types of plays to pro hockey is a lot more in favour of Broberg imo.

Also not really sure what your "people tend to remember what they want to remember" comment is intended to mean. I love Nurse. I'm a big fan of his and one of his supporters on here. I think he was our best D last season. I'm not going to remember something that I rarely if ever saw.

Reactions: Raab

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I chose the word rarely for a reason. One replay isn't going to change my mind on the 30+ games I saw of Nurse prior to graduating to pro hockey. He rarely attacked the middle of the ice and I could just as easily link you replays of his where he drives wide and throws it on net from a terrible angle. I also don't think Nurse is as fast as Broberg, so the ability to translate those types of plays to pro hockey is a lot more in favour of Broberg imo.

Also not really sure what your "people tend to remember what they want to remember" comment is intended to mean. I love Nurse. I'm a big fan of his and one of his supporters on here. I think he was our best D last season. I'm not going to remember something that I rarely if ever saw.

I saw him do it plenty of times, and attempt it plenty of times, watched quite a bit. He can and has driven wide and cut in for scoring opportunities in junior.

But it's moot anyways, I think we both agree that he isn't currently able to beat guys wide to the net. He gets muscled out. Broberg will have the exact same issue because NHL defencemen simply rarely get turnstiled by other NHL defencemen. It just doesn't happen very often. They're NHL defencemen. And when Broberg does get to the inside, he looks just like Nurse, trying to stuff it home because he lacks those in close puck handling skills.

Brobergs toolset is strikingly similar to Nurses in the offensive zone. He has a solid wrist shot, but not an overpowering or quick slapshot. He can skate the puck through the neutral zone with ease, but isn't overly crafty once the zone is gained. Makes simple plays most of the time.

Again, if we get another Nurse out of that pick, I think that's pretty damn good.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's just very very hard to do in the NHL. In fact, you will rarely ever see a dman turn the corner on another dman like that in the bigs. Just doesn't happen much. Nurse used to do it all the time in SSM.

Broberg will find it similarly challenging.

False, Nurse played and identical game in SSM as he's now playing in the NHL. If anything he was way better defensively in the Saulte due to his great skating and ability to recover from poor positioning.

Edit: One thing I should add is that Nurse went for more open ice hits in the Saulte. That gave up some good opportunities against.

Last edited:
Reactions: B33K33PING

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Broberg vs Siikanen in half an hour.

Team USA is stacked this afternoon, I wonder if Canada responds in kind and Lavoie & Rodrigue finds their way into the lineup back-to-back

Reactions: ujju2

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I saw him do it plenty of times, and attempt it plenty of times, watched quite a bit. He can and has driven wide and cut in for scoring opportunities in junior.

But it's moot anyways, I think we both agree that he isn't currently able to beat guys wide to the net. He gets muscled out. Broberg will have the exact same issue because NHL defencemen simply rarely get turnstiled by other NHL defencemen. It just doesn't happen very often. They're NHL defencemen. And when Broberg does get to the inside, he looks just like Nurse, trying to stuff it home because he lacks those in close puck handling skills.

Brobergs toolset is strikingly similar to Nurses in the offensive zone. He has a solid wrist shot, but not an overpowering or quick slapshot. He can skate the puck through the neutral zone with ease, but isn't overly crafty once the zone is gained. Makes simple plays most of the time.

Again, if we get another Nurse out of that pick, I think that's pretty damn good.

Broberg has a hell of a lot more offensive ability then Nurse. He actually has hands, understands that he needs to get the puck to the high danger areas, good stretch pass, and has a big bomb from the point like Klefbom. The only area where Broberg and Nurse are alike, is in their skating ability. Everything besides physicality Broberg is better at then Nurse at the same age. Which is why I dont understand people not liking the pick at 8

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Broberg vs Siikanen in half an hour.

Team USA is stacked this afternoon, I wonder if Canada responds in kind and Lavoie & Rodrigue finds their way into the lineup back-to-back

Rodrigue won't be playing, but it's looking like Lavoie will.

Reactions: Soli

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Before the draft one of Broberg's biggest criticisms was his breakout pass. He said in an interview that that is something he needs to work on, and it shows. His first pass and stretch pass has blown me away so far.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
IIRC Broberg says he tries to model his game after Hedman. How was he in the 1st period? I didn't know there was a game on and just turned on the tv.
He was very good this period, just like all the others I've seen of him in the showcase. Very steady defensively and had a couple of good chances including a solo rush. His breakout passes and calmness in transition continue to impress me.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Lavoie draws in on the 3rd line at LW. Zegras also draws in as Team USA's 3rd line LW.

Also, Kenny Holland will be interviewed in one of the intermissions.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Broberg has a hell of a lot more offensive ability then Nurse. He actually has hands, understands that he needs to get the puck to the high danger areas, good stretch pass, and has a big bomb from the point like Klefbom. The only area where Broberg and Nurse are alike, is in their skating ability. Everything besides physicality Broberg is better at then Nurse at the same age. Which is why I dont understand people not liking the pick at 8

We'll see. I've watched Nurse a hell of a lot more than Broberg. But from what I've seen, don't think there's much that puts him above Nurse.

Nurse is a 40pt dman in the NHL at age 24. That means you believe Broberg will eventually be a 50-60pt producer in the league? I sure hope so! But I'm not betting on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad