GDT: 2019 WJC Summer Showcase | Broberg, Lavoie, and Rodrigue Playing | Jul 26 - Aug 3

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think that was a sarcastic post. Bouchard on main boards wouldnt be top 10 D prospect.

As insanely biased as the main boards are against Oilers, he still was rated the #7 defense prospect, and 17th overall. Which shows just how legit his upside is.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No sarcasm on my part.

I honestly feel the Oiler's 19 year old.. going on 32 year old prospect... Bouchard is THAT good.
Gagner was going to be a PPG #1C, RNH had the vision of Gretzky and Yakupov the next Ovechkin. Puljujarvi as good as Laine.
It's good to be wishfully dreaming but no need to make tall claims. Sets you up for disappointment later .
Bouchard is a great prospect but he is not generational talent.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Gagner was going to be a PPG #1C, RNH had the vision of Gretzky and Yakupov the next Ovechkin. Puljujarvi as good as Laine.
It's good to be wishfully dreaming but no need to make tall claims. Sets you up for disappointment later .
Bouchard is a great prospect but he is not generational talent.

While I 100% agree with what you are saying...

For me I think the only real legit thing to get excited about in the organization right now is just how good a prospect Bouchard is.

At this point in time he makes a guy like Schultz look like Steve Staios in terms of offensive potential.

I never get excited for offensive defensemen but Bouchard has just looked and statistically been such a force.

As an Oiler I'm sure he is destined to fail but as a prospect he is absolutely exciting.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm warming to this pick, can never have a defensive prospect pool that's too deep, but man oh man does Cole Caufield ever look amazing in this tournament. His shot release is unbelievable.

That was quite a shot he roofed on Gravel

I’m not a big fan of Gravel from his days in Halifax. He is a big goalie who gets beat quite often over his shoulder . Talbot had that problem last year as well

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Will be interesting to see how Caufield turns out. Guy looked like one of the main drivers on that US team. Surprised he dropped as much as he did.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's fine, but to claim he will be a top 3 D in the entire league within 3 years is pretty ridiculous.
Give or take. In 3 years he'll be starting the season 24 years of age. Doughty was a top 3D at 24. Karlsson as well. Hedman at 26. Not as crazy of an assertion as you think if you believe in Makar the way I do. There's no young D in the league or in any prospect pool aside from maybe Dahlin who has his total package.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Dunno if anyone with the Athletic saw Pronman’s write up for noteworthy prospects.

Here’s what he said for Broberg and his partner.

The Broberg-Bjornfot pair came together toward the second half of the tournament and was excellent. Broberg was arguably the best defenseman at the camp, making a ton of plays with his skating and skill particularly off the rush. His first game he had a rough couple of turnovers in bad spots, but the rest of the way his play was very strong. Bjornfot was his typical not flashy self, but with his great skating and brain he made stops and enough offensive plays to help drive play. This could be a possible pairing at the tournament in December.

Pretty good praise for Broberg, being the best defenseman at the camp.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not pumping the brakes on Makar. Everything aspect of his game is elite and he has zero weaknesses.

Not sure why the Norris hasn't been renamed the Makar Trophy already. NHL moves too slow to properly recognize it's legendary players.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Give or take. In 3 years he'll be starting the season 24 years of age. Doughty was a top 3D at 24. Karlsson as well. Hedman at 26. Not as crazy of an assertion as you think if you believe in Makar the way I do. There's no young D in the league or in any prospect pool aside from maybe Dahlin who has his total package.
I would take The kid from Dallas over him, Chabot aswell.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I sure as hell wouldn't.

I'm pretty high on Makar as well. Top 3 in 3 years wouldn't surprise me although I wouldn't bet on him bring a Norris candidate. I think top 15 is more reasonable. I thought he could be a really good #1 D when he was drafted and nothing he's done has changed that opinion and he should get there quickly I think.

He's going to push the play from the back end this coming year for the Avs and help their offense get even better. It also wouldn't surprise me if he won the Calder given the great situation he's stepping into. I don't know if there's a better situation a player of his ilk could be stepping into.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We talking about the same Cale Makar? Where you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

Yeah. The timing of his pinches and the risk of some of his plays. Probably will come with more experience but right now he’s still a little raw there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad