GDT: 2019 WJC Summer Showcase | Broberg, Lavoie, and Rodrigue Playing | Jul 26 - Aug 3

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Disagree simply because Bouchard has the advantage with his shot. Bouchard is very likely the better of the two prospects, and if not they are about equal.

What I have seen so far tells me that Broberg is better playing in the defensive zone than Bouchard.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Broberg looks pretty good to me. The pre-draft criticism seems a bit unfounded.

Hockey sense looks just fine. Good passer. Makes smart plays. Aggressive offensively.

I can't say I see any defensive concerns.

Bouchard has a bit of a knock for being a bit lackadaisical in the defensive zone. In contrast, Broberg seems to have great defensive awareness. He seems to be in the right spot all the time and does not get beat. Shows more urgency in the defensive zone.

Might be overstating it, Broberg may be better than Bouchard. Bouchard has a better breakout pass, but Broberg is a better defender.

I'd agree Broberg has a better stick and positional sense in the DZ. Don't think he's nearly the offensive threat Bouchard is, but his passing is better than was mentioned pre-draft. I have little doubt he'll play in the NHL, it's the offence that will be interesting.

Definitely sad watching the Oilers last year and seeing Bouchard and Caleb Jones were immediately the best passers on the D corpse. :D

Reactions: KYams17 and Aerrol

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
I'd agree Broberg has a better stick and positional sense in the DZ. Don't think he's nearly the offensive threat Bouchard is, but his passing is better than was mentioned pre-draft. I have little doubt he'll play in the NHL, it's the offence that will be interesting.

Definitely sad watching the Oilers last year and seeing Bouchard and Caleb Jones were immediately the best passers on the D corpse. :D

Regardless, it is nice to be able to debate which defender will be better.

Reactions: dustrock

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Broberg skating it up the ice into the offensive zone and passing it to himself.

The Canadian defender was coming hard. Broberg picks up the puck and skates it into Canada's zone.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Nice DZ play by Lavoie to take out the man by the net before the puck got there.

Whoa a great feed from Lavoie to Thomas from behind the net.

Lavoie got skillz.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Rodrigue in net now for Canada.

A broken play but Broberg should have anticipated random chaos and been a step quicker to the stick lift before Fortier bangs in a puck. :laugh:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Broberg maybe a little slow to cover a new man and Canada goes up 3-0.

Nothing egregious, just lack of urgency.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just tuned in to see Broberg lose his man in front. Come on Bro, I need you to ease the concerns I have.
It really wasn't THAT bad of a play, kind of a broken play.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Canada racking up PIM. Full 2 min 5-on-3 with Broberg on Rodrigue coming up.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Broberg looks pretty good to me. The pre-draft criticism seems a bit unfounded.

Hockey sense looks just fine. Good passer. Makes smart plays. Aggressive offensively.

I can't say I see any defensive concerns.

Bouchard has a bit of a knock for being a bit lackadaisical in the defensive zone. In contrast, Broberg seems to have great defensive awareness. He seems to be in the right spot all the time and does not get beat. Shows more urgency in the defensive zone.

Might be overstating it, Broberg may be better than Bouchard. Bouchard has a better breakout pass, but Broberg is a better defender.
Broberg skates well but is a bit lackadaisical coming back for pucks as well.

This tourny def not being played at full speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad