Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
BTW, Keita was also the second highest transfer fee for a central midfielder ever. Clubs tend to pay far less for central midfielders than for wingers. I'd definitely say that Liverpool paid a premium for him and almost a year early to stave off competition. Of course he was coming off an excellent year.
Right that's the point. They paid over the release clause and early to ensure that they got their guy. Money doesn't matter for these clubs.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Leipzig want Hudson-Odoi as well. Would be smart for Chelsea to do a swap deal of some sorts with them since they need a striker.
I don't want to lose Hudson-Odoi, but if it's going to happen then this is definitely the best case scenario. I would love to add Werner.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dortmund are probably going to need to buy another CB.

Why?

Edit: Just saw the report about Akanji. Bad news for our title hopes, and you might be right that we need another number at CB. I still think a Zagadou-Diallo pairing is really good and Toprak is reliable, but Akanji has been the leader on the backline this season.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Which doesn't mean they don't overpay.
I'm not really disagreeing with that, just to the extent, but we'll just disagree on that. I really don't think it's much of an overpay based on what the market has been like the past few years, and even longer than that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dortmund are probably going to need to buy another CB.
They up'ed their bid for Belardi for 18 million. Guess they're really sold on him. Juve/Barca went after him in the summer. I'd love for him to be in Germany Just wary of how soon this move is.

Also Godin is leaving Atleti. Which might open up the door for Belardi's partner Perez.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Marketing what?

No one can ever explain this bad talking point. We are supposed to acknowledge its existence without anyone explaining it in detail. It makes no sense, but I guess it doesn't need to.
Do you dispute that there is marketing value in having the best American player in a league and on a team that has a large American viewership, and a team that can play preseason games and sell kits and all kinds of merchandise in America?

I'm not saying Chelsea's entire marketing engine will revolve around Christian Pulisic or that he will be the face of Chelsea, but you don't see value in that?

Reactions: Evilo

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Still can't see your skepticism in any of those posts. :dunno:
And besides, you wrote : "Was always pretty skeptical of Jorginho".

Erh... Don't dig any deeper.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you dispute that there is marketing value in having the best American player in a league and on a team that has a large American viewership, and a team that can play preseason games and sell kits and all kinds of merchandise in America?

I'm not saying Chelsea's entire marketing engine will revolve around Christian Pulisic or that he will be the face of Chelsea, but you don't see value in that?

There is marketing value in signing any young player who has talent and hype. Is there any evidence that Pulisic will have more of an impact on the clubs finances than if a comparable talent was signed? The claims being made revolved around Pulisic being a marketing ploy because he's American.

He had next to no impact on the finances at Borussia Dortmund. The club often doesn't make it onto TV in the USA. I think many also overestimate the US National Team presence in the USA. The USA is the most diverse country in the world. It is not like Brazil, Argentina, England, France, Spain, Germany where the majority of football fans support the local NT. The US Mens National Team is not the most popular mens National Team in the country. Mexico is. We barely have any fans. Most people don't realize this. "Americans" is not the same as the US Mens National Team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
They up'ed their bid for Belardi for 18 million. Guess they're really sold on him. Juve/Barca went after him in the summer. I'd love for him to be in Germany Just wary of how soon this move is.

Also Godin is leaving Atleti. Which might open up the door for Belardi's partner Perez.

If Akanji is out the rest of the season, he's going to get some playing time. We are in three competitions right now, and with his price tag, they might prefer him to Toprak as the third CB.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Yeah, I saw that. They'd probably give him a good chance to play. Zagadou is the same age and he was in the rotation immediately after he transferred.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There is marketing value in signing any young player who has talent and hype. Is there any evidence that Pulisic will have more of an impact on the clubs finances than if a comparable talent was signed? The claims being made revolved around Pulisic being a marketing ploy because he's American.

He had next to no impact on the finances at Borussia Dortmund. The club often doesn't make it onto TV in the USA. I think many also overestimate the US National Team presence in the USA. The USA is the most diverse country in the world. It is not like Brazil, Argentina, England, France, Spain, Germany where the majority of football fans support the local NT. The US Mens National Team is not the most popular mens National Team in the country. Mexico is. We barely have any fans. Most people don't realize this. "Americans" is not the same as the US Mens National Team.

While others greatly overestimate the marketing impact, I think you are underrating it, as well as the size of the USA fanbase. Sure, a bulk of it is casual, but those are the fans that would be targeted with the Pulisic marketing.

Dortmund wasn't affected because the Bundesliga has minimal exposure here, and the Premier League is everywhere.

Reactions: Gecklund

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

The USMNT is not the US soccer market. I don't know why you keep making this point. There are loads of people who watch Euro leagues who don't care about the USMNT, or only tune in during WCs. International soccer in the US is an every 4 year event, at best. Tons of people watch soccer year round here, more every year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If Godin stays in Europe I bet Arsenal or United will give him huge wages in the summer.

Godin would be a fine add at United assuming we get another CB, like a young one that isn’t ready to play every week. But he can’t be our big CB signing that’s for sure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The USMNT is not the US soccer market. I don't know why you keep making this point. There are loads of people who watch Euro leagues who don't care about the USMNT, or only tune in during WCs. International soccer in the US is an every 4 year event, at best. Tons of people watch soccer year round here, more every year.

Why would the US Soccer market care about Pulisic if its not related to the National Team he plays for?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If it was for a transfer this window I'd think about it, but I want no part of giving him a big salary in the summer.

I mean I’d rather them just go all out for Koulibaly or Skriniar. I haven’t watched much Atletico this year, but I guess he’s falling off the cliff?

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean I’d rather them just go all out for Koulibaly or Skriniar. I haven’t watched much Atletico this year, but I guess he’s falling off the cliff?

I haven't watched him hardly at all either, but he's almost 33 and was never the fastest guy on the pitch to start with. If he hasn't hit the cliff yet, it's coming soon.

He's also not played in roughly 1/3 of Atletico's games.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I haven't watched him hardly at all either, but he's almost 33 and was never the fastest guy on the pitch to start with. If he hasn't hit the cliff yet, it's coming soon.

He's also not played in roughly 1/3 of Atletico's games.

Oh shit he’s 33? I though he was only 30 and he’d be a solid 3CB for a couple seasons, yeah that changes my outlook for sure.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why would the US Soccer market care about Pulisic if its not related to the National Team he plays for?
The casual soccer fans, if they want to pick a team to support, then they'll probably pick a team that they can make a connection to. A lot of US fans like Man U because of Beckham. A lot of casual fans will pickup Chelsea. How much money will that bring Chelsea, we simply don't know that at the moment. If they could renegotiate their kit deal with Nike or Yokohama, they would be able to demand more money.

It's a huge base of people, they just tend to be casual fans, which is why they are easy to turn to new clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce