Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Napoli actively searching in the Eredivisie for reinforcements. They're pursuing Lozano, Tagliafico, Ziyech, van de Beek and Dolberg.

Ajax upped their offer for Diego Laniez, with 15M.

Magallan was presented yesterday. He costs Ajax between 8 and 9M. Few fans are excited about this acquisition, but then again, they also were when Davinson Sanchez arrived. Both are the same mold: purely defensive CB's.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Dortmund and Chelsea have the total opposite mindset on playing young players. Hopefully for Pulisic, he actually gets enough playing time to continue his development.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
More reports of Bayern going for Hudson-Odoi. That one is going to sting if it happens. Hopefully he shows patience like RLC had and stays and works with Sarri. The minutes will be there over the course of the next season or 2.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Marketing ploy.

Add the full quote of what he was being asked. This lacks context.

I love this idea that Pulisic is a marketing ploy. It’s unbelievably dumb and is just feeds into the idea that there’s still an anti-American bias in football. Pulisic hasn’t made a dent on TV numbers in the USA. Dortmund often doesn’t make it onto US TV.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Add the full quote of what he was being asked. This lacks context.

I love this idea that Pulisic is a marketing ploy. It’s unbelievably dumb and is just feeds into the idea that there’s still an anti-American bias in football. Pulisic hasn’t made a dent on TV numbers in the USA. Dortmund often doesn’t make it onto US TV.

Yeah, Sarri gave his approval a month ago and didn't want to be updated on the deal. He likes to stay out of transfer dealings more than other managers. I'm not sure where the controversy is here to be honest.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Naldo to Monaco is official

Werner is for sale because apparently Leipzig won’t let him go into next season with only one year. (Interview with CEO) A few reports saying United, Bayern, and Liverpool are interested.

Fosu-Mensah’s loan with Fulham has been terminated by United (James Gray)

Christian Eriksen is stalling on a new contract. This next part is baseless speculation on my part but maybe he’s waiting to see if Poch leaves and he will follow him (to United/Real/stay at Spurs)

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, Sarri gave his approval a month ago and didn't want to be updated on the deal. He likes to stay out of transfer dealings more than other managers. I'm not sure where the controversy is here to be honest.

While he was more candid about it, his quote implies an involvement in transfer that is probably typical of managers in continental leagues and especially Italy. They may ask for a certain kind of player but they usually aren't doing the scouting themselves.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
While he was more candid about it, his quote implies an involvement in transfer that is probably typical of managers in continental leagues and especially Italy. They may ask for a certain kind of player but they usually aren't doing the scouting themselves.

Right, most managers aren't involved. Then you can also factor in the average lifespan of Chelsea managers, which is one issue I have with them. The board can't really acquire the exact player a manager would want because every 1.5-3ish years, we could have a complete different system in place. It's why I hope Roman gives Sarri a pass for this season because very few of the players are actually capable of playing his style. Roman has always wanted that style of play and if he's too impatient, he's going to have to wait even longer.

Roman wants the ideal way to play the game, but he's also too much of a pragmatic and simply wants trophies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't think there's anything controversial. I think Chelsea was right to acquire him. But the price was clearly dictated by other things than football because at that price they probably could have had a better player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are news reports that Sarri asked for Pulisic in the summer, but Dortmund didn't want to sell.

Sarri was being asked about his involvement in this transfer and other transfers, and he reiterated a couple of times that he doesn't have much input on transfers, including on this transfer. That seems to be what he publicly maintains. English also isn't his first language, so using his exact words to prove a point doesn't make sense.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Marketing was always going to play a big part in any English team buying Pulisic. I don't think they would spend that kind of money if it was only about marketing, though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Marketing was always going to play a big part in any English team buying Pulisic.

Marketing what?

No one can ever explain this bad talking point. We are supposed to acknowledge its existence without anyone explaining it in detail. It makes no sense, but I guess it doesn't need to.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Marketing what?

No one can ever explain this bad talking point. We are supposed to acknowledge its existence without anyone explaining it in detail. It makes no sense, but I guess it doesn't need to.

Why are Fulham referred to as Fulhamerica in the states? It ain't cause Khan owns the Jags too.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Fosu-Mensah’s loan with Fulham has been terminated by United (James Gray)

Have you heard if they're terminating it to try to get him some playtime elsewhere or if they're planning on keeping him?

He hasn't got a lot of playtime at Fulham, but I also don't recall him playing great in the few bits of play I've seen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why are Fulham referred to as Fulhamerica in the states? It ain't cause Khan owns the Jags too.

Are Fulham games on TV more than other teams? Does Fulham's US presence bring in a substantial amount of money for the Premier League?

Also, the US Mens National Team isn't even the main National Team of the country. The Mexican National Team is more popular in the USA. They outdraw the USA 2-1 in games played in the USA.

Many Borussia Dortmund games haven't been shown on TV this season. This is while we are in first place. Bayern Munich is still the preferred team to show by Fox Sports. Pulisic didn't make a dent financially while at Borussia Dortmund.

If this has anything to do with marketing, Chelsea should fire their whole marketing department. There's not evidence that signing an American player has much of an impact on club finances.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Don't think there's anything controversial. I think Chelsea was right to acquire him. But the price was clearly dictated by other things than football because at that price they probably could have had a better player.
Could they though? Maybe they paid a premium to avoid a bidding war in the summer, but we won't really know what a bidding war would've looked like. It's less than what we spent on Morata. Pulisic is better than Morata and Morata offered 0 off-field revenue. It wasn't even that much in today's market.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Are Fulham games on TV more than other teams? Does Fulham's US presence bring in a substantial amount of money for the Premier League?

Also, the US Mens National Team isn't even the main National Team of the country. The Mexican National Team is more popular in the USA. They outdraw the USA 2-1 in games played in the USA.

Many Borussia Dortmund games haven't been shown on TV this season. This is while we are in first place. Bayern Munich is still the preferred team to show by Fox Sports. Pulisic didn't make a dent financially while at Borussia Dortmund.

If this has anything to do with marketing, Chelsea should fire their whole marketing department. There's not evidence that signing an American player has much of an impact on club finances.

This is the first time a major American has ever been on a major club and it's in a league that has the most exposure in the States. I think Pulisic adds some leverage to Chelsea in terms of kit deals moving forward, but many of those that they have are probably already locked in, so I doubt they can renegotiate. There is no doubt that there will be a ton of Pulisic Chelsea jerseys sold in the states.

I'm not familiar with the NBCSN rules, but Chelsea probably gets a few more games, and plenty of new fans looking to pick up a team. The economic impact gets overblown, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even if Pulisic flops, he'll provide Chelsea more of a return on investment than Morata for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad