Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Of course, but it's generally accepted in football circus that a player with a year left is worth half his fee. That's what people envision usually.
Here Pulisic was a year and a half. But even 100M. That'd be awful.
It's like the Keita situation. Chelsea like Liverpool knew there was going to be competition in the summer, so they paid a premium to get the deal done early and then have a loan back. The 1.5 years is meaningless to Chelsea or any other acquiring team.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Of course, but it's generally accepted in football circus that a player with a year left is worth half his fee. That's what people envision usually.
Here Pulisic was a year and a half. But even 100M. That'd be awful.
If Pulisic become a star it would be worth way much more for Chelsea in term of brand recognition. If he is not good enough and loaned out then it's money wasted.

edit: just realised that Nike is the kit sponsor. They might have had a say on this transfer to Chelsea.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Was always pretty skeptical of Jorginho iirc and glad Liverpool didn't go all in there when they were linked
No, you don't remember correctly.
Transfer: - Summer transfer rumours
Jorginho behind Keita and one of Ox/Wijnaldum/Henderson will be a menace in the PL next season, assuming it happens.

Transfer: - Winter mercato window rumors
Jorginho would be a big big yes from me.

2017-18 EFL Carabao Cup
A real defensive 6 would certainly be a step in the right direction. Krychowiak would have been someone I thought could have been a good choice...Illarramendi, Camacho or Jorginho would be ideal really.

Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread II
Absolutely love Jorginho

Change of heart I'm guessing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's like the Keita situation. Chelsea like Liverpool knew there was going to be competition in the summer, so they paid a premium to get the deal done early and then have a loan back. The 1.5 years is meaningless to Chelsea or any other acquiring team.
It is NOT meaningless. And I doubt big teams were lining up for Pulisic. Certainly not many who are bigger than Chelsea.
Was Keita out of contract soon?
Was he benched or was he among the best players in the league?

No, that's not comparable.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The reason Jorginho is poor has little to do with Jorginho. It is because they don't have players who play in quick passing triangles and the good attackers they do have hold the ball a bit too long for him to look good.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Pulisic become a star it would be worth way much more for Chelsea in term of brand recognition. If he is not good enough and loaned out then it's money wasted.
Pretty much. I agree. Chelsea probably put 20M more than they needed because they felt he could bring something else beyond his clear talent and potential.
If he fullfills his potential, they'll get better return for him than another similar player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's why Sarri needs a pass this season because a lot of the team isn't ideal for his style. If you get a proper front 3, then that will improve a lot of the issues. We won't be as tight and structured as we were with Conte, but for Sarri to succeed, we need to be able to score a lot more.
I don't disagree here and I am in no way advocating that Sarri be let go. If we were scoring a lot more with our 62% average possession than my concerns over our structure would go away for sure.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I mean, that probably took him a minute or two to look up. :laugh:

Everyone here was busting to Jorginho at the time so you could probably find that from just about everyone.

It turning out he has to play in certain tactics doesn't mean he's not a great player, and I think Chelsea should change their tactics to fit him. He'll be fine. Some players are adaptable and others aren't, not a very big deal.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean, that probably took him a minute or two to look up. :laugh:
Pretty much. I was surprised to read this because I thought he rated Jorginho, like most of us BTW.
But no he implied he never really rated him.
Hit the search button and yep, my old brain remembered correctly :D

EDIT : and I don't blame him for rating him. I know I did too (I still do). But I don't go around saying I didn't however.

Reactions: Gecklund

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't disagree here and I am in no way advocating that Sarri be let go. If we were scoring a lot more with our 62% average possession than my concerns over our structure would go away for sure.
Yeah, a proper front 3 would do wonders. Too much toothless possession because a lot of the time we only have 1 player that can score, so when Hazard can't score, we just sort of flounder.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This is what I explained about Liverpool players who weren't considered elite two years ago but who are almost all considered elite or close now.
Most of it comes from the coach and some players progressing, but the context is what matters.
Coaching, tactics, the group around him, the league they play in, all ALSO defines the player's value/career/achievements.
Jorginho was also better in a league where he had more time with the ball.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BTW, Werner has 18 months before the end of his contract.
Leipzig is putting pressure on him to either sign a new contract of they'll transfer him so that they get some money out of it.

Really similar to Pulisic on that part.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Are you serious?
EPL teams are recruiting young french players by dozen every year. I'm talking about non pro players.

How many of those players get a chance to play at the big EPL teams though? Of course the smaller clubs do this.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
BTW, Werner has 18 months before the end of his contract.
Leipzig is putting pressure on him to either sign a new contract of they'll transfer him so that they get some money out of it.

Really similar to Pulisic on that part.

Leipzig want Hudson-Odoi as well. Would be smart for Chelsea to do a swap deal of some sorts with them since they need a striker.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How many of those players get a chance to play at the big EPL teams though? Of course the smaller clubs do this.
Smaller teams?
No I'm talking about City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Spurs...
They go after young french players all year long.

They simply suck at scouting.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Everyone here was busting to Jorginho at the time so you could probably find that from just about everyone.

It turning out he has to play in certain tactics doesn't mean he's not a great player, and I think Chelsea should change their tactics to fit him. He'll be fine. Some players are adaptable and others aren't, not a very big deal.
Our tactics do suit him, it's just the players around him do not. Sarri isn't a pragmatic, he's an ideologue, it's the same system that Jorginho played in at Napoli. Chelsea just has a toothless front 3 except for Hazard which leads to a lot of wasted possession, and we don't really have a scorer in the midfield. While I like Kovacic, he simply doesn't provide goals.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Smaller teams?
No I'm talking about City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Spurs...
They go after young french players all year long.

They simply suck at scouting.

For their academies you mean? Because I can't think of many examples of one of those clubs buying a guy like Ndombele from a club like Amiens and giving him the playing time on the main team to develop into a star like Lyon did.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Because they can't scout properly. As I told you. They buy 18 year old all the time.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
For their academies you mean? Because I can't think of many examples of one of those clubs buying a guy like Ndombele from a club like Amiens and giving him the playing time on the main team to develop into a star like Lyon did.

From Arsenal:
Guendouzi
Holding
Mavropanos

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
BTW, Keita was also the second highest transfer fee for a central midfielder ever. Clubs tend to pay far less for central midfielders than for wingers. I'd definitely say that Liverpool paid a premium for him and almost a year early to stave off competition. Of course he was coming off an excellent year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Guendouzi is a good example. Excellent young player, great potential, and not out of contract a year after. Went for 8M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad