OT: 2019 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Next Stop the 107th Grey Cup vs. the Ti-Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
That would be foolish, IMO.
Your prediction is possible, maybe even probable, but it depends entirely on whether Collaros plays to his potential for the next 3 games.
Remember if the Bombers re-sign Collaros they give up a first round pick to the Argos.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If he proves to be a QB who can lead us to a Grey Cup, he is worth the 1st round pick
I agree. If he leads us to a Grey Cup, then I think Walters needs to give up the pick (assuming Collaros even wants to re-sign with the Bombers). Apparently his wife really loves living in Ontario so Winnipeg may not even be an option for him, beyond this season.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No loss. How many Bomber 1st round picks are still with the team (or even still in the CFL)?

Alot.

2019 - DE Jonathan Kongbo - Rotational DE, key piece of the future
2019 - OL Drew Desjarlais - Started many games this year, key piece of the future
2017 - DT Faith Ekakatie - Bust, out of CFL
2017 - OL Geoff Gray - Started many games this year, key piece of the future
2015 - OL Sukh Chung - Multiple time All-Star, left in UFA to BC
2014 - OL Mattias Goossen - Multiple time All-Star, retired

Since Walters has taken over the CFL draft has been one of the keys to him taking this team to this level. Only first round bust was Ekakatie. Of the other 5, 2 were superstars with the team, 2 are just breaking in as a starters replacing those superstars and 1 is a ratio breaking star in the making in his rookie year.

As other have said if Collaros leads you to a GC victory (which is even if he starts in playoffs, far from a guarantee of that) you try to re-sign him. But even that's unlikely as it's pretty well known Collaros wants to go back to Toronto.

The QB here next year will be Masoli almost assuredly. I'd bank money on that.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Alot.

2019 - DE Jonathan Kongbo - Rotational DE, key piece of the future
2019 - OL Drew Desjarlais - Started many games this year, key piece of the future
2017 - DT Faith Ekakatie - Bust, out of CFL
2017 - OL Geoff Gray - Started many games this year, key piece of the future
2015 - OL Sukh Chung - Multiple time All-Star, left in UFA to BC
2014 - OL Mattias Goossen - Multiple time All-Star, retired

Since Walters has taken over the CFL draft has been one of the keys to him taking this team to this level. Only first round bust was Ekakatie. Of the other 5, 2 were superstars with the team, 2 are just breaking in as a starters replacing those superstars and 1 is a ratio breaking star in the making in his rookie year.

As other have said if Collaros leads you to a GC victory (which is even if he starts in playoffs, far from a guarantee of that) you try to re-sign him. But even that's unlikely as it's pretty well known Collaros wants to go back to Toronto.

The QB here next year will be Masoli almost assuredly. I'd bank money on that.

I think Kongbo has a chance to be the best pick Walters has made, not sold on Desjarlais yet but Goossen didn't light the world on fire when he first arrived here.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think Kongbo has a chance to be the best pick Walters has made, not sold on Desjarlais yet but Goossen didn't light the world on fire when he first arrived here.
I agree, and we have Kongbo signed for another 2 years after this season. I see him as a regular starter on the DL. Desjarlais you have to remember is a rookie, so the fact he has become a regular starter on the OL is pretty remarkable. Very, very few rookies start their first year in the CFL, so what he's doing is pretty rare.

Walters has had a few busts like Ekakitie, Richards and Simonise. But he's hit many more home runs.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Award nominees:
MOP: Jefferson
Defensive: Jefferson
Canadian: Miller (!)
Special Teams: Miller
Offensive Lineman: Bryant
Rookie: Lawler

Harris' omission is a complete joke, especially after the insane season he had. Even Miller wasn't happy about it: "It is my honour to be named the Most Outstanding Special Teams Player for the Bombers, but I feel I must speak out in support of Andrew Harris as our team’s Most Outstanding Canadian. Andrew is one of the true leaders on our team and one of the best players in the history of the Canadian Football League, and it is a shame he is not being recognized after such a sensational season. I will accept the Canadian nomination on Andrew’s behalf, but do so reluctantly and while completely disagreeing with his omission."

Jefferson might have a shot at DPOY, and Bryant definitely has a shot at OL.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

None

Feb 22, 2012
Harris' omission is a complete joke, especially after the insane season he had. Even Miller wasn't happy about it: "It is my honour to be named the Most Outstanding Special Teams Player for the Bombers, but I feel I must speak out in support of Andrew Harris as our team’s Most Outstanding Canadian. Andrew is one of the true leaders on our team and one of the best players in the history of the Canadian Football League, and it is a shame he is not being recognized after such a sensational season. I will accept the Canadian nomination on Andrew’s behalf, but do so reluctantly and while completely disagreeing with his omission."

Jefferson might have a shot at DPOY, and Bryant definitely has a shot at OL.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Willie Jefferson's response to the MOP nomination as well.

Ted Wyman put out an article explaining his rationale for not voting for Harris. He explained that there's 5 local voters and the team's head coach who have a vote for the nominations announced today.

These are the voters that have revealed their votes
Wyman - Didn't vote for Harris
Irving - Voted for Harris
O'Shea - Voted for Harris

These are the voters whose votes are implied to be for Miller (or not Harris) for Most Outstanding Canadian
Darrin Bauming
Jeff Hamilton
Paul Friesen
Edit: Put Wyman twice
Edit2: My Jeff Hamilton guess ended up being right rather than Friesen, added Hamilton back; Friesen didn't have a vote.

My opinion is that the media shouldn't get a voice in voting for end of season awards. I still remember a few years ago Paul Friesen at a practice at CanadInns responding to a tweet from someone asking a question with something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "I don't know, I'm not even watching."

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I take the complete opposite view, and think the whining from the players is funny and pathetic.

There's no way Harris should be MOC for this franchise this year.

Wyman basically lays it out in one paragraph:

"The point here is, hundreds of athletes have made the tainted supplement claim before, but when it’s unsubstantiated, it can’t be held as gospel."

WYMAN: Why I did not vote for Bombers running back Andrew Harris for any CFL awards

Last edited:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Some time ago, Harris made mention that he was sending the balance of the suspected tainted substance to a lab for review. I have not heard about any results from that review. Would this indicate that Harris did not get the result he was hoping for or is it possible that the result of the test has not been made available to him yet?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Some time ago, Harris made mention that he was sending the balance of the suspected tainted substance to a lab for review. I have not heard about any results from that review. Would this indicate that Harris did not get the result he was hoping for or is it possible that the result of the test has not been made available to him yet?
We won't hear anything on this because it's a farce.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

Willie Jefferson's response to the MOP nomination as well.

Ted Wyman put out an article explaining his rationale for not voting for Harris. He explained that there's 5 local voters and the team's head coach who have a vote for the nominations announced today.

These are the voters that have revealed their votes
Wyman - Didn't vote for Harris
Irving - Voted for Harris
O'Shea - Voted for Harris

These are the voters whose votes are implied to be for Miller (or not Harris) for Most Outstanding Canadian
Darrin Bauming
Paul Friesen
Edit: Put Wyman twice

My opinion is that the media shouldn't get a voice in voting for end of season awards. I still remember a few years ago Paul Friesen at a practice at CanadInns responding to a tweet from someone asking a question with something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "I don't know, I'm not even watching."

Bauming and Hamilton did not vote for Harris either.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
We won't hear anything on this because it's a farce.
Well, if he did it to deflect his guilt, then he should release the results. Anything less than a positive test result would confirm his guilt. I am waiting for the results to be released and if it doesn’t happen soon, then IMO that confirms his guilt.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Well, if he did it to deflect his guilt, then he should release the results. Anything less than a positive test result would confirm his guilt. I am waiting for the results to be released and if it doesn’t happen soon, then IMO that confirms his guilt.

"I have never had a single positive doping test, and I do not take performance-enhancing drugs."

Lance Armstrong, in 2004.

that's not to say I think Harris is guilty, or the people who didnt vote for him think he's guilty, but the age of giving athletes the benefit of the doubt for this kind of thing is long over.

Reactions: Ggg99 and Ducky10

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
To be honest it’s been a few months and I’ve forgotten, but since Harris was suspended, wouldn’t that mean he was PROVEN guilty? He wouldn’t be suspended if he was innocent.

I know the NFL suspended Zeke a few ago before he was found innocent, but that’s the NFL. I thought the CFL was innocent until proven guilty.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
To be honest it’s been a few months and I’ve forgotten, but since Harris was suspended, wouldn’t that mean he was PROVEN guilty? He wouldn’t be suspended if he was innocent.

I know the NFL suspended Zeke a few ago before he was found innocent, but that’s the NFL. I thought the CFL was innocent until proven guilty.
He tested positive for a banned substance which means he is guilty. He claims he never took anything and it was a tainted supplement. We will likely never know for sure if he is lying or telling the truth but we do know that the substance was in his system and nobody is disputing that.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
"I have never had a single positive doping test, and I do not take performance-enhancing drugs."

Lance Armstrong, in 2004.

that's not to say I think Harris is guilty, or the people who didnt vote for him think he's guilty, but the age of giving athletes the benefit of the doubt for this kind of thing is long over.
It ended with Ben Johnson, with a thud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad