2019 WHL Bantam Draft

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
I saw on the internet that there are questionnaires emailed to prospects and I'm wondering what these mean or ask for? Do all WHL teams do this and how many do they send out? Is this replacing the phone call that happened in the olden days?

WestCoastHockeyDad

Apr 3, 2018
I saw on the internet that there are questionnaires emailed to prospects and I'm wondering what these mean or ask for? Do all WHL teams do this and how many do they send out? Is this replacing the phone call that happened in the olden days?
Only speaking from personal experience, these questionnaires are sent to either the parent or directly to the player. They are mostly all similar in what they ask, and I think the purpose is to gauge interest in how likely the player will want to play/sign with the team if they draft him.
Most use a multiple choice or scale out of 10 to determine level of interest. I heard that teams will still call players but closer to the draft date.
Some questions that have been on these questionnaires include:
- What is your interest level in playing in the WHL?
- Would you have any concerns if you were drafted to <team>?
- Do you have any desire to pursue the NCAA path?
- Do you have any family members to play high level hockey, or any other high level sport?
- How tall is your father? How tall is your mother?
- Describe yourself as a player?
- What areas of your game do you need to improve on?
- What are your development plans after your season is over?
- What NHL player do you model your game around?
- Name a teammate that you would like to bring with you and why?

Reactions: bawkbawk

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
WHL subscribes to hockeytech/rinknet. Not sure who all does it, but I've seen the questionnaires from a couple teams. Mostly just asking for future career goals, how the player describes himself, injury/health history, school grades, etc. Oh, and can't forget about height/weight (even parents' height on one of them.) No mention of stats on either which is unlike the Junior A questionnaires.
I have not had a personal conversation about my son with a scout that I didn't already know. A parent of a more likely draft prospect on my son's team has been approached by scouts in person, so some are still doing it the old-fashioned way.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
WHL subscribes to hockeytech/rinknet. Not sure who all does it, but I've seen the questionnaires from a couple teams. Mostly just asking for future career goals, how the player describes himself, injury/health history, school grades, etc. Oh, and can't forget about height/weight (even parents' height on one of them.) No mention of stats on either which is unlike the Junior A questionnaires.
I have not had a personal conversation about my son with a scout that I didn't already know. A parent of a more likely draft prospect on my son's team has been approached by scouts in person, so some are still doing it the old-fashioned way.

So how many of these questionnaires do kids get roughly? Are the WHL teams sending them in masses or just to a select few? And does a questionnaire mean that there is a likelihood of drafting or is this just a weeding out process? Seems more high tech than I remember.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
So how many of these questionnaires do kids get roughly? Are the WHL teams sending them in masses or just to a select few? And does a questionnaire mean that there is a likelihood of drafting or is this just a weeding out process? Seems more high tech than I remember.
I've got those same questions. But considering that the first one came on Dec 10, I wouldn't put too much stock in these questionnaires.
I had to laugh at a couple of scouts I was sitting next to during playoffs last year and Zimmer was out on the ice.
1st scout: "I like that #19."
2nd scout: "You can't pick him, he's only an 04."
Goes to show that you can still catch their eye at the end of the season. Especially when a scout from 3 provinces away sees you for the first time.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
They will send mailers, Phone calls to the players and or parents. They will also talk with the Coaches. I knew of one player, They knew what he ate, knew his grades, new his group of friends.They knew he was lazy on dry land.

You get scouted once you are off that bus to the time you are back in your hotel room. They also ask who is a strong player you played against.
Closer too late March they will call and ask if you would sign and if you would come to camp. They might draft a player and they will not talk to or send anything him or you.

Of the 228 selected last year (03 year) , 74 have signed 8 to Seattle already( Most) .
5 2nd rounders not signed. Only 4 have committed to NCAA D1.
The latest player (228 pick) to sign was round 13. Only 2 USA players have signed of the 74. ( Regina & Swift - none has signed yet,Prince Albert has 1 ) All 1st rounders have signed.

East Division tends to keep East for players. Many West Coast players ( parents) do want them to go East. West will go all over the place. If your son does not get drafted, He might get asked to attend Camp and listed by a team. This can be helpful, that you can choose where you want to go.

Reactions: e14 and bawkbawk

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
They will send mailers, Phone calls to the players and or parents. They will also talk with the Coaches. I knew of one player, They knew what he ate, knew his grades, new his group of friends.They knew he was lazy on dry land.

You get scouted once you are off that bus to the time you are back in your hotel room. They also ask who is a strong player you played against.
Closer too late March they will call and ask if you would sign and if you would come to camp. They might draft a player and they will not talk to or send anything him or you.

Of the 228 selected last year (03 year) , 74 have signed 8 to Seattle already( Most) .
The latest player (228 pick) to sign was round 13. Only 2 USA players have signed of the 74. ( Regina & Swift - none has signed yet,Prince Albert has 1 ) All 1st rounders have signed.

East Division tends to keep East for players. Many West Coast players ( parents) do want them to go East. West will go all over the place. If your son does not get drafted, He might get asked to attend Camp and listed by a team. This can be helpful, that you can choose where you want to go.

So how many of these does a descent player get I wonder?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Varies from team to team. Mid pack draft 3rd round to 6th round figure 5 to 8 Questionnaires. Phone calls 3 or 4. But it all depends on what the team is looking for.
in the 02 group 2017 draft goalies were the hot ticket. Last year was Def ( more Left)
But teams would gamble more on a local kid then a kid from Dallas, even if the Dallas kid was stronger. Kamloops does not send out many questionnaires at all. PG, Reg, Vic all do.
The 1st round picks have had mulit phone chats with the team. They need to be a sure as they can that they player will sign.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
in the 02 group 2017 draft goalies were the hot ticket...
They need to be a sure as they can that they player will sign.

(Actually 2018 had more goalies overall, but 1(2018) compared to 5(2017) in the first 2 rounds.)

Do they assume that a straight A student is likely to go NCAA, or why does the WHL ask about grades? Should a player downplay his academic success if he wants to play WHL?

I just read how the lottery works for the bottom 3 teams and Regina being 1 of them traded away their first pick to Saskatoon. That would be pretty hilarious if Blades get Savoie.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
For the goalies - yes, Goalies usually go in the 4th and later. So having 5 go in the 1st 2 , shows how strong they were.

As for grades yes, If a student is going to St Georges or Shawnigan ( and Parents are paying 30k a year)
Hockey is 2nd to School. Trevor Wong switched and was Committed to NCAA, then went to BC MML , but since Kelowna is hosting the Memorial Cup. They signed. Not the only reason, but 1 of many. Another example is Justin Szeto. (97) He was not drafted in WHL, not due to talent, But he was at St Georges school and grades were very high. He was going to Harvard University in the states. BTW he did not play his fresh or soph year. His brother Kalen is a 02. Did get drafted but late 6th ot 7th round. Should have been a 2nd or 3rd round forward.But since school was a factor was a risk.

Thats is also why so many USA Players get drafted later rounds. They WHL must compete with the NCAA , USHL, NAHL. So sign later ,or will wait till after the USHL & NAHL draft which is in May 2019 this year. Hope this helps.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Do they assume that a straight A student is likely to go NCAA, or why does the WHL ask about grades? Should a player downplay his academic success if he wants to play WHL?

The questionnaire asks about grades? That is interesting so will a kid with good marks be a risk? You can be smart and still playin the WHL (lol).

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Double edge sword. It can also be a gain. WHL teams do not want kids who cant speak or complete a sentence out in the areas of schools, markets, as a rep for the program.
You have 3 left wing players all fairly equal in hockey skills all played Minor hockey, all same size, You would look at the grades and take a 4.0 over a 1.8 any day.
You will want to remember that when these players are out in the city as marketing tools for the business of the team.

I wish there was a book to help parents go thru this process. Most other parents are very secretive about this process. You cant trust paid advisors. There are a few Agent organizations, Octagon, CAA,O2K,Newport and SWMM. If these guys speak to talk with you that is huge. They can help you and see where you kid will fit in well. Never pay for a advisor, And take the Social media sites as maybe 65% true.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
I've read that NCAA teams like good grades so that those who can secure academic scholarships leave athletic scholarship money for the others. I think this has an affect on WHL draft if a kid with good grades shows inclination toward the Junior A and college route. That's the other side of the grades question.

e14

Feb 14, 2018

Hi Capitols03, where do you get this info? I've been wondering the same... how many have signed from first few rounds. thanks

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
I had to go thru every team and then double check it against Elite Hockey Prospects to confirm signing. Below are teams and how many have signed with the team
Elite Prospects has them ( if signed) as a transaction. and the link to confirm.

For Example PG Cougars have signed 3. 3 of 4 were the first 2 rounds 3. No one after round 2 has signed at all. This helps CJHL teams see who of the 03 Group is not going the CHL route and they can have them at their Spring camps.

Rd 1 - 9th overall- Armstrong -Airdrie
Rd 1 -21st overall- Brennan -Rink Acd
Rd 2-33rd overall- Thornton-Rink Acd ( No Sign)
Rd 2 -44th overall-Eastman0 Fort Sask

Only 2 USA Players -Signed ( But I think 2 have signed with Portland from Little Caesars Team)
Which would make it 4.

Sea-has 1
Sask has 1

Edmon4
Kootney4
Price Alb1
Calgary2
Kamloops4
Sask5
Red Deer5
Leth2
Prine George3
Seattle8
Tri City4
Evertte5
Med Hat4
Victoria5
Brandon2
Kelowna4
Kamloops4
Portland2
Moose Jaw6
Swift Curr0
Regina 0
Vancouver2
Total 76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: lfunk and e14

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
how many have signed from first few rounds
It also begs the question: WHY did they sign if they can't be rostered until 2019/2020? What do they get in return? I wouldn't let my son sign without at least a full year's worth of scholarship money.
I am so ignorant of the bantam draft when it comes to what's in it for the kids that I think it might be better to not get drafted at all.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
It also begs the question: WHY did they sign if they can't be rostered until 2019/2020? What do they get in return? I wouldn't let my son sign without at least a full year's worth of scholarship money.
I am so ignorant of the bantam draft when it comes to what's in it for the kids that I think it might be better to not get drafted at all.

If you're not a high end pick and don't get drafted you can choose which camp you attend(if you're invited). But i like the idea that you go to camp where you're drafted and fight for a spot. Seems like players these days want guarantees instead of fighting for your spot. FWIW, 1 WHL game you instantly get 1 year of scholarship.

Reactions: Capitals03

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
1st year play 1 game( could be exhibition or real) = * 1 year school
2nd year play 1 game ( same as above)= * 1 year of school

The other plus is the insurance policy( If you have a career ending injury during practice or a game)
4 years of school covered.

What they are doing is not putting a value on the amount due to the changes in school tuition fees.
On the contacts you have to select a school( yes it can change) then when you do go to school they cover the fees. School costs for 2019-2020 will be different in 2024-2025.

It can be better not to be drafted, You can select which team you want to attend camp.
Do you really want to be drafted by Swift Current as a 02, 03 or 04.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
If you're not a high end pick and don't get drafted you can choose which camp you attend(if you're invited). But i like the idea that you go to camp where you're drafted and fight for a spot. Seems like players these days want guarantees instead of fighting for your spot. FWIW, 1 WHL game you instantly get 1 year of scholarship.

I understand the guarantee vs fight argument but remember that these kids should be looking for their development and hence the 'guarantee' of play time. What most are looking for is a commitment to the player's development. WHL is a business and the only thing they look at is the bottom line accomplished by putting buts in seats and selling swag. Some teams might need to "convince" top players hence getting a better product on the ice hence selling more tickets etc. by providing them a good development plan which includes some ice time? Other teams may have other business models.... let's not kid ourselves though... they are not "non profit" organizations designed around player development and education.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Not a WEHP fan but I couldn't help but notice that 2 of the top 4 players are not in CSSHL.

Also noticed only 6 of the 22 are born after June 30. This in itself tells me scouts have trouble distinguishing between talent and age. Most often a second or third round pick born in December is actually a better selection than some first rounders. Except there's a bit more risk.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
As per multiple WHL sources, 2004-born generational talent Matthew Savoie has been denied exceptional status in the Western Hockey League.

I can't say, I am shocked with this outcome. Talent is the not decision factor for the WHL. Its the travel as a 15 year old for long periods of time. What 21 year olds talk about is different than a 15 year olds. WHL( Hockey Canada) also does not want some 230 lb. player crushing him in his 2nd game and giving him a career ending injury.
This is just enhanced on how the lack of depth for the 04 year. Alot of the WHL teams that could select him will take the risk. ( NCAA is where the rumors are looking towards)
It will be interesting to see if he drops( but I doubt it)

Every year or two this topic comes up. Yes he is a good player. But its not a who can get to the top first.
Its how and what you learn getting to the top.

He cant go to the USHL for another 2 years. Sometimes its not where you are , but what you make of it.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
As per multiple WHL sources, 2004-born generational talent Matthew Savoie has been denied exceptional status in the Western Hockey League.

I can't say, I am shocked with this outcome. Talent is the not decision factor for the WHL. Its the travel as a 15 year old for long periods of time. What 21 year olds talk about is different than a 15 year olds. WHL( Hockey Canada) also does not want some 230 lb. player crushing him in his 2nd game and giving him a career ending injury.
This is just enhanced on how the lack of depth for the 04 year. Alot of the WHL teams that could select him will take the risk. ( NCAA is where the rumors are looking towards)
It will be interesting to see if he drops( but I doubt it)

Every year or two this topic comes up. Yes he is a good player. But its not a who can get to the top first.
Its how and what you learn getting to the top.

He cant go to the USHL for another 2 years. Sometimes its not where you are , but what you make of it.

Agreed... I would add that if you want exceptional status it's not onlyonly a ability to play or survive in WHL at 15. If you want that status you need to come in with ability to play top line. I don't think Savoie is there. Not sure if Wright is there in OHL but he did look a step above the rest in the Canada winter Games.
As a recent reference, Mcdavid was leading his team in scoring at 15.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Agreed... I would add that if you want exceptional status it's not onlyonly a ability to play or survive in WHL at 15. If you want that status you need to come in with ability to play top line. I don't think Savoie is there. Not sure if Wright is there in OHL but he did look a step above the rest in the Canada winter Games.
As a recent reference, Mcdavid was leading his team in scoring at 15.

Can you elaborate on how you think Savoie is "not there" ?.... that would be interesting ....

Savoie is a Jan.1 birth, literally hours from being a 2003. Compared to players like Stankoven who will be in the WHL, Savoie's skating (speed & edges) is better and Stank is an elite skater. No doubt Savoie would be a 1st line player next yr if he gets drafted by Prince George.

Reactions: 420Canuck and e14

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Can you elaborate on how you think Savoie is "not there" ?.... that would be interesting ....

Savoie is a Jan.1 birth, literally hours from being a 2003. Compared to players like Stankoven who will be in the WHL, Savoie's skating (speed & edges) is better and Stank is an elite skater. No doubt Savoie would be a 1st line player next yr if he gets drafted by Prince George.

I'll start by saying that I don't think I'm a great judge of player abilities or in this case potential over the next year and I've only seen him on a few occasions.
He's an amazing skater but if you want an exception you should be exceptional. his birthdate is irrelevant. a cut off is required and his on the other side. I think the argument for the exception is in talent, not how many days or hours from being an 03.

I guess if you think Savoie would be top line then it holds some weight. I just don't think he would be, at least on most teams.
at the CWG he was good but didn't always stand out when playing top teams and these were only 03s

when 02, 01, 00 in the mix I believe most teams would have 3 better forwards.

could be wrong though... guess we won't know until the fall when he can play in a few games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad