2019 WHL Bantam Draft

Brandon5

Apr 18, 2019
Do you think that will make Glover a first rounder? Hometown kid, 6'0", and arguably the fastest skater in MB.
I think it will depend who they get with the 6th, 10th and 13th. If he is there at 22nd (1st pick of 2nd round) it is possible

Reactions: howbowdat

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
As expected it was good competition there but with 11 fwds playing 20 min run time games, each fwd only got 3 shifts per period. The ones playing Center were out more as they mostly went 3 Centers and 4 sets of wingers. Hard to get any flow into the game and players that went more individualistic were rewarded. I watched most games and most of the top end kids were still the best, regardless of points - they had all the possession, etc.

Manitoba’s was the same. 2 x 20 min run time periods. 4 F lines 6D. Goalies didn’t play with same team twice. Some top kids looked great. Some didn’t. Lots is being made about kids that weren’t ranked high having good weekends. I’m sure the good scouting staffs look at bodies of work and not a weekend. The positive was seeing the Provinces players together with all the options those kids have, it’s rare you get the group together and see what a provincial team could look like.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
As expected it was good competition there but with 11 fwds playing 20 min run time games, each fwd only got 3 shifts per period. The ones playing Center were out more as they mostly went 3 Centers and 4 sets of wingers. Hard to get any flow into the game and players that went more individualistic were rewarded. I watched most games and most of the top end kids were still the best, regardless of points - they had all the possession, etc.
I disagree. Some of the top kids were just coasting. A few big names looked like they were not doing much.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
100% agree. Best part of these events is the chance the kids get to play with others they have always played against but not with. My son got to know a few kids where they have had their share of battles but laughed about it now. Also there was no combine tests which would have been more value than a practice. At U15 last year they had a combine test and they said it would be a good benchmark to compare last years test results with this years. Food was really good according to my son so that's how they can keep a 14 yr old happy! But sad to know that if you kid ends up on Team BC, parents will be in it for over $2,000 plus whatever the cost will be for the actual tournament.

if your kid ends up going to Team BC in a Canada winter games year it will be close to $10 000... maybe a bit less for WHL cup but will be close!

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Has it all ,only issue may be strength as a smaller player. Needs to really train hard next few years , the rest is there.
Ya seen Ward play a few times, small, and takes a beating but never backs down, keeps coming at them. Great player.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Coaches can teach skating, shooting, Puck control, but what they can't teach is No Fear, Who stands and blocks shoots, who goes into the corners first knowing they will get hit, Who stands in front of the goalies knowing they will get hit in the back of the legs. Another item you want to see who the weaker Def player is on the ice, Look to what corner the other teams dump the puck.

Reactions: lfunk

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Coaches can teach skating, shooting, Puck control, but what they can't teach is No Fear, Who stands and blocks shoots, who goes into the corners first knowing they will get hit, Who stands in front of the goalies knowing they will get hit in the back of the legs. Another item you want to see who the weaker Def player is on the ice, Look to what corner the other teams dump the puck.
They also can't teach size. And although things are changing, it still is a significant factor in the draft, unfortunately. I've seen just as many big kids who lack the qualities you just listed, but those big kids who do have them usually get picked first.

Last edited:
Reactions: e14

Kamsurvey

Apr 18, 2019
As a Blazer fan mat Ward is interesting. Local kid with a ton of skill. Issue may be, as people have pointed out, his size. Last year we took a small skilled player early (Stankoven). Perhaps we would be better suited going after one of the bigger kids? I wouldn't be surprised if the Blazers took one of the highly touted Dmen if they are still there at 7. Just not Lindgren unless they can get an assurance from him that he will report. It hurt wasting that first round pick on Rizzo in 2016.

coachhky

Apr 21, 2019
As a Blazer fan mat Ward is interesting. Local kid with a ton of skill. Issue may be, as people have pointed out, his size. Last year we took a small skilled player early (Stankoven). Perhaps we would be better suited going after one of the bigger kids? I wouldn't be surprised if the Blazers took one of the highly touted Dmen if they are still there at 7. Just not Lindgren unless they can get an assurance from him that he will report. It hurt wasting that first round pick on Rizzo in 2016.
I actually thought John Babcock and Joshua Neidmayer had a better weekend than Lindgren

Reactions: bawkbawk

e14

Feb 14, 2018
They also can't teach size. And although things are changing, it still is a significant factor in the draft, unfortunately. I've seen just as many big kids who lack the qualities you just listed, but those big kids who do have them usually get picked first.

Just a hunch... I think the days of small players in the NHL is a "fad".... There will always be some small exceptional guys but we went through a time where big guys that can't move were purged which makes sense... However, coming up the ranks in the next few years will be big guys that can move just as fast as the small guys and size will again be the norm as it's an advantage in a game this tough

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Just a hunch... I think the days of small players in the NHL is a "fad".... There will always be some small exceptional guys but we went through a time where big guys that can't move were purged which makes sense... However, coming up the ranks in the next few years

I do think this is a "fad" right now and a scout will pick a fast big player over a small fast player with the same skill level.

Last edited:

coachhky

Apr 21, 2019
I agree with this. When it comes to playoff hockey you can really see that the smaller guys struggle and the bigger teams do better. I have also noticed this year in bantam that some of the big guys are actually fast and can keep up with the smaller guys. I think with this new trend the bigger players know that they have to work on their skating and make it a priority to remain at this level, and it shows when some of them can skate as fast as their smaller peers. I do think this is a "fad" right now and a scout will pick a fast big player over a small fast player with the same skill level.
The Boston Columbus game really hits that fact home.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Just a hunch... I think the days of small players in the NHL is a "fad".... There will always be some small exceptional guys but we went through a time where big guys that can't move were purged which makes sense... However, coming up the ranks in the next few years will be big guys that can move just as fast as the small guys and size will again be the norm as it's an advantage in a game this tough
I think the big guys bring a different skill set altogether. Geekie's reach, for example, helps him steal pucks all of the time. Along with that, his size gives him the puck protection that you don't see in the smaller kids. He doesn't skate all that fast unless he has the whole rink to start a rush, but his small area game doesn't suffer because of the aforementioned natural abilities due to size. Add his puck handling ability, shot, and hockey sense and you have a top 5 pick. And now his opponents need big kids to defend against him because small kids can't. That's how the trend to big kids multiplies.

Last edited:

coachhky

Apr 21, 2019
I am hoping that Kamloops could get Neidermayer with their 28th overall pick. You think he will be gone before that?
I personally think being Scott's son will help. He is a legit late first or early second rounder. I think probably in the mid first round is what we will see. Competes hard. Good size and skills . Hockey IQ good. U 16 was the first chance I had to scout those kids ,going on that I had Ward ,Babcock then Niedermeyer. the later two safer bets because of size but I think if Ward trains hard off season he is a small skill guy that can play Jr A

coachhky

Apr 21, 2019
Ugh is he a legit prospect? Or because he's the son of an ex Blazer *eyeroll*?
He should be a player. Heard his off ice training could be better but people get envious and talk crap sometimes , also he's young and if that was the case things can change in a new environment . Hockey wise he is solid prospect.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Some interesting stuff going on in Winnipeg. I was told that the Savoie brothers were in Winnipeg somewhat recently for a tour.

I was also told Carter will change his decision and not go NCAA and sign with Winnipeg Ice for next season and that Matthew will be drafted 1st overall and will play at the Rink Academy in Winnipeg for his Midget season.

Ice owners also own Rink Acedemy.

I know alot of people will question where i got this info but ive heard it from multiple hockey people now. Time will tell!!.. Some exciting times for Winnipeg fans. The kids they already have are impressive, let alone adding these 2

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Some interesting stuff going on in Winnipeg. I was told that the Savoie brothers were in Winnipeg somewhat recently for a tour.

I was also told Carter will change his decision and not go NCAA and sign with Winnipeg Ice for next season and that Matthew will be drafted 1st overall and will play at the Rink Academy in Winnipeg for his Midget season.

Ice owners also own Rink Acedemy.

I know alot of people will question where i got this info but ive heard it from multiple hockey people now. Time will tell!!.. Some exciting times for Winnipeg fans. The kids they already have are impressive, let alone adding these 2
I read that on another website forum that Brandon has a deal in place for #16 plus players and prospects with Winnipeg for the #1 and Savoie's brother. Not sure if it was someone trolling, wishful thinking or what. As a Wheat Kings fan I can only hope.

Kamsurvey

Apr 18, 2019
Ugh is he a legit prospect? Or because he's the son of an ex Blazer *eyeroll*?

Pretty legit I would say. I have not seen him play but most ranking services (that I have seen) have him in the low 40's as a draft position. Kamloops goes 28 then 50. Ex-Blazer or not, you can't argue with the bloodlines.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I can almost bet that eighty percent or more of the players the Winnipeg Ice take are from Manitoba. Or the surrounding areas like eastern Saskatchewan, Minnesota, North Dakota and co.

Just like how the Wheat Kings always tend to draft Manitobans.

Edit: Shocked at the lack of Manitobans the Ice have drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad