2019 WHL Bantam Draft

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
I do hear this all the time on blogs like this and around the rink. that free ride is not completly free??? My son has been approached by a few schools and I've talked with the coaches. all of them say free is free and that the full ride players have nothing to pay out of pocket other than plane rides home twice a year

who's correct in all this... I guess I'll know if/when he goes

Is your son Savoie? lol jk

Reactions: e14

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Does Wpg ICE take Geekie at 1?
I would think Wpg is exhausting every conversation with the Savoie family to convince him to go there. If he eventually agrees, obviously Savoie. But if that doesn't come together, ya, I see them taking Geekie #1 for sure imo

Reactions: NumberForr

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
I would think Wpg is exhausting every conversation with the Savoie family to convince him to go there. If he eventually agrees, obviously Savoie. But if that doesn't come together, ya, I see them taking Geekie #1 for sure imo
I guess the other option for them is to have a deal in place with the team Savoie wants to go to, pick him #1, then execute the trade, but that trade has to get Wpg a lot more than what Geekie is for it to make sense. Will be interesting how it all unfolds.

Reactions: NumberForr

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Does Wpg ICE take Geekie at 1?
Only if they are needing a forward and not a defenceman. If I were starting a team from scratch, I would take Mateychuk before Geekie. That's my opinion from watching both playing the same opponents several times over the last few years.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Only if they are needing a forward and not a defenceman. If I were starting a team from scratch, I would take Mateychuk before Geekie. That's my opinion from watching both playing the same opponents several times over the last few years.

“Starting from scratch” is pretty strong I would say. They did take the top defenseman in a few years in Carson Lambos last year

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
“Starting from scratch” is pretty strong I would say. They did take the top defenseman in a few years in Carson Lambos last year
The "starting from scratch" was not in reference to the Wpg Ice, but if I was picking teams for some shinny I'd pick Mateychuk if I had to choose between him and Geekie. Even if the shinny included body contact.
And you are right, I am not sure if there is room for both Lambos and Mateychuk on the same team, considering they both shoot left and will someday each log a lot of ice time.

Reactions: howbowdat

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Lots of talk about here about Geekie and Mateychuk for the ICE at #1. They are the best prospects in Manitoba but outside of Savoie are they the best prospects available? The Ice need to be taking the best player regardless of position and residence.

Reactions: lfunk

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Lots of talk about here about Geekie and Mateychuk for the ICE at #1. They are the best prospects in Manitoba but outside of Savoie are they the best prospects available? The Ice need to be taking the best player regardless of position and residence.

Makes sense

Are Ziemmer/Dowhaniuk AB’s versionnof Geekie/Mateychuk ?

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
I completely agree, but when you look at the Ice's picks and transactions over the last couple of years, they have been acquiring a lot of MB talent. If they stay on that trend, I say they go local with #1. BUT, if that was only leverage to secure a move to Wpg, there is no longer a reason to pick a local kid.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
The Ice need players that are going to sign with them. No point in taking a 1st rounder if not going to sign.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Anyone get a chance to watch any of the U16 regional provincial skates on the weekend? Standouts?

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Was there much difference between Csshl kids and association kids? And individual stand outs?
Definitely the CSSHL kids dominated but not necessarily the ones you would think. Some of the high ranked guys looked a little flat. A few non CSSHL standouts but not that many.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Definitely the CSSHL kids dominated but not necessarily the ones you would think. Some of the high ranked guys looked a little flat. A few non CSSHL standouts but not that many.
Likely some of the top end kids assume they are through and didn't put the effort in, vice versa, some of the other kids had something to prove. Would be a hard yet fair lesson if a few top end kids didn't make it through cause they didn't put the effort it... but who are we kidding, kids in the top 10 or 20 will always get through....

Reactions: bawkbawk

WestCoastHockeyDad

Apr 3, 2018
Likely some of the top end kids assume they are through and didn't put the effort in, vice versa, some of the other kids had something to prove. Would be a hard yet fair lesson if a few top end kids didn't make it through cause they didn't put the effort it... but who are we kidding, kids in the top 10 or 20 will always get through....
It was an awful event. Way too many kids on every team with 13-14 Fwds, 8-9 D; 3 goalies. Some kids would stay out 3-4 mins for shifts. 16 min run time periods meant 3 shifts per period. Kids usually started their first shift of the period with others they wanted to play with but as the rotations came, you had a mish mash of top kids playing with kids a lot lower. No flow to games. Top CSSHL kids clearly dominated but a few association kids certainly held their own.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
These are all about Individual play, Def will take the puck and rush with no consequences if they lose the puck and create a 3 on 1 the other way. If a player does pass , no way he will get it back.

Most of the players getting signals from Parents. The entire system needs adjusting, but no one will change anything, Since people dont complain enough. The costs are silly. The camps cost more and you get less. The evaluators are busy looking for their next hockey jobs. The bench coaches do nothing about kids staying on longer, If they do 2 min buzzer then changed it would better for each kid to play. Also have the players switch partners. Its not that hard to organize this, they just are lazy and dont care.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
These are all about Individual play, Def will take the puck and rush with no consequences if they lose the puck and create a 3 on 1 the other way. If a player does pass , no way he will get it back.

Most of the players getting signals from Parents. The entire system needs adjusting, but no one will change anything, Since people dont complain enough. The costs are silly. The camps cost more and you get less. The evaluators are busy looking for their next hockey jobs. The bench coaches do nothing about kids staying on longer, If they do 2 min buzzer then changed it would better for each kid to play. Also have the players switch partners. Its not that hard to organize this, they just are lazy and dont care.

100 % agree with you
it's all about the money
180 kids go to salmon arm... ice time likely sponsored by the city because of influx of people staying at hotels.
$800 for 3 ice times. no accomodations meals supplied buffet style at arena restaurant.
you do the math... someone is raking it in... and for what?

Their is absolutely no need for them to look at that many kids. The provincial team will be picked among the top 20 players... period
bring 50 players to a camp... cut it to 20 for camp 2... that is all.

The national teams don't take this much time/effort... why should this one?
unless you are looking for a way to charge maximum $ to as many families as possible without having to give any services in return?

Reactions: WestCoastHockeyDad

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
100 % agree with you
it's all about the money
180 kids go to salmon arm... ice time likely sponsored by the city because of influx of people staying at hotels.
$800 for 3 ice times. no accomodations meals supplied buffet style at arena restaurant.
you do the math... someone is raking it in... and for what?

Their is absolutely no need for them to look at that many kids. The provincial team will be picked among the top 20 players... period
bring 50 players to a camp... cut it to 20 for camp 2... that is all.

The national teams don't take this much time/effort... why should this one?
unless you are looking for a way to charge maximum $ to as many families as possible without having to give any services in return?
What they did the past two seasons which is new is have 60 kids go to the island instead of 40. for a week long camp. That is a extra 24,000. For kids that will never see the light of day. When they did the 2 teams is was much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad