2019 WHL Bantam Draft

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
And there you go, my kid already got his first training camp invite after going undrafted. If he gets another one or two, he has a choice. Draftees have no choice.
did he get any more? Sometimes its better to NOT get drafted than to get drafted to someplace you don't really want to go.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
No others yet. He is going to be patient as it has only been 3 days and he has until June 5 to register. I did some research on this team's previous camps and they seem to hoard up to 100 kids maybe by getting the invite out the earliest. (It is also an 18 hour drive away.)

Magellan13

May 11, 2019
Winnipeg
So with Winnipeg drafting Savoie and Geekie 1-2 and with Savoie's brother in the fold, what is the consensus of where the ICE stand in terms of generating interest? Does the fact that they ICE also own the MJHL's Winnipeg Blues factor in here (perhaps as the location for Savoie to play next season while maintaining his NCAA eligibility)? I would think that the lure of Winnipeg with the hockey facilities and easy access for scouts (with an NHL and AHL team in town, the ICE should be a relatively high-visibility franchise for NHL scouts - certainly compared to Cranbrook) would make it attractive for players looking for that exposure.

As a newly-minted season ticket holder, I am certainly interested in the long-term viability of the team in Winnipeg. With no game-day tickets available for the first two seaons (due to the small capacity in the temporary arena), there is a risk that the team won't generate new interest if nobody can watch them play. So I assume that the draft day splash of moving up to make the top 2 picks was an attempt to generate this interest?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
No others yet. He is going to be patient as it has only been 3 days and he has until June 5 to register. I did some research on this team's previous camps and they seem to hoard up to 100 kids maybe by getting the invite out the earliest. (It is also an 18 hour drive away.)

Yes if he ends up getting multiple invites, try to do research on how many kids this team invites to camps too. A lot of teams invite pretty much everyone that they have noticed and do a generic invite and make up about 10-12 teams at camp and it gets quite watered down....where as many teams only invite guys that they are quite high on and have a smaller, more intense camp with about 4-6 teams.

Also if a team/scout calls you/family and personally invites him too, that is always a very good sign. I know many teams encourage their regional scouts in all provinces to personally call kids in their region to encourage them to come to camp

Last edited:
Reactions: lfunk

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Does the fact that they ICE also own the MJHL's Winnipeg Blues factor in here (perhaps as the location for Savoie to play next season while maintaining his NCAA eligibility)?
I think there is a rule for out-of-province players not playing in MJHL until they are 17 or 18, or traded?

Magellan13

May 11, 2019
Winnipeg
Thanks lfunk - you are right. They have to be 18 unless they have been traded. So I guess that wouldn't apply in Savoie's case. His brother's WHL rights were traded from Regina to Winnipeg, but it seems Sherwood Park still own his CJHL rights.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
It will be interesting to see who Junior A teams avoid in their respective drafts due to already being drafted to WHL. This is 2019 CJHL coach of the year's rule of thumb: 50% chance a WHL prospect plays in the MJ and 50% chance a non-WHL prospect plays rather than hang up the skates. Sounds like a crapshoot.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
It will be interesting to see who Junior A teams avoid in their respective drafts due to already being drafted to WHL. This is 2019 CJHL coach of the year's rule of thumb: 50% chance a WHL prospect plays in the MJ and 50% chance a non-WHL prospect plays rather than hang up the skates. Sounds like a crapshoot.

So do kids drafted in WHL fairly high expect not to be drafted? And vice versa? How did last years MJHL draft fair? Must’ve been some drafted higher WHL picks

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
So do kids drafted in WHL fairly high expect not to be drafted? And vice versa? How did last years MJHL draft fair? Must’ve been some drafted higher WHL picks
I think only 1/2 of the 33 WHL picks were drafted to MJ last year. For example, I saw a recent top 100 ranking for MJHL this year and Geekie, Zimmer and Mateychuk aren't on it.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
RE: These WHL camps in August.
In the main camps how many kids that are invited to those end up being listed?
And does anyone know where you can find prospect lists for each team to see who is on their protected lists and when they were drafted and listed?

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
So with Winnipeg drafting Savoie and Geekie 1-2 and with Savoie's brother in the fold, what is the consensus of where the ICE stand in terms of generating interest? Does the fact that they ICE also own the MJHL's Winnipeg Blues factor in here (perhaps as the location for Savoie to play next season while maintaining his NCAA eligibility)? I would think that the lure of Winnipeg with the hockey facilities and easy access for scouts (with an NHL and AHL team in town, the ICE should be a relatively high-visibility franchise for NHL scouts - certainly compared to Cranbrook) would make it attractive for players looking for that exposure.

As a newly-minted season ticket holder, I am certainly interested in the long-term viability of the team in Winnipeg. With no game-day tickets available for the first two seaons (due to the small capacity in the temporary arena), there is a risk that the team won't generate new interest if nobody can watch them play. So I assume that the draft day splash of moving up to make the top 2 picks was an attempt to generate this interest?
I am interested in the interest level in the city about the ICE myself. The location of the new facility is not downtown and traffic could be an issue. I also wonder if folks realize that tickets prices aren't as cheap as they thing they will be. Last Wheat Kings game I was at tickets were about $30 bucks if memory serves me correctly. As far as the MJHL Blues go for Savoie he can't play more than 5 games as a 15 year old this year. He needed Hockey Canada to grant him exceptional status to play in the CHL and CJHL to play as a 15 year old. Given his stated desire to play in the NCAA it was probably one of the reasons the didn't get it. Not sure if the Blues/MJHL will have any impact on player recruitment. Time will likely tell. The MJHL isn't exactly the preferred choice of tier 2 leagues for players. Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan would rank higher. MJHL is very good but it does't have the reputation of the other leagues.
Either way it's a fascinating discussion if you are interested in the business of sport and the politics of junior hockey.

Fred Fuzzo

Aug 22, 2017
And does anyone know where you can find prospect lists for each team to see who is on their protected lists and when they were drafted and listed?

Courtesy of Alan Caldwell -

Reactions: lfunk and bawkbawk

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Majority of teams will leave a few spots open on their protected list to add guys that impress at camp. I wish i could give you a better answer but sometines a few guys will get listed but sonetimes none get listed. Completely depends on how the kids do

Many many kids/parents at the meeting when cut(and not listed) will be told that they will keep a close eye on the kid the following season. It is not just a generic thing they say to all kids, teams will infact keep note of all kids that attended camp that did well and watch them as soon as possible.

Teams want to find those diamonds in the rough that went undrafted and then listed and eventually make the team. It makes the team and scouts look good when they find those unknown type kids. Many kids feel as though everyone is just watching all the drafted kids and it doesnt really matter how they do. But as i said, every single team PRAYS an undrafted camp invite stands out and plays well and plays better than other kids that were drafted. Its all about making the team better down the road so it doesnt matter if the kid was a 1st overall pick or a camp invite. When you step on the ice, scouts treat everyone the same and evaluate everyone fair

Reactions: bawkbawk

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Majority of teams will leave a few spots open on their protected list to add guys that impress at camp. I wish i could give you a better answer but sometines a few guys will get listed but sometimes none get listed. Completely depends on how the kids do

Many many kids/parents at the meeting when cut(and not listed) will be told that they will keep a close eye on the kid the following season. It is not just a generic thing they say to all kids, teams will infact keep note of all kids that attended camp that did well and watch them as soon as possible.

Teams want to find those diamonds in the rough that went undrafted and then listed and eventually make the team. It makes the team and scouts look good when they find those unknown type kids. Many kids feel as though everyone is just watching all the drafted kids and it doesn't really matter how they do. But as i said, every single team PRAYS an undrafted camp invite stands out and plays well and plays better than other kids that were drafted. Its all about making the team better down the road so it doesn't matter if the kid was a 1st overall pick or a camp invite. When you step on the ice, scouts treat everyone the same and evaluate everyone fair

Good to know. Too bad that all the camps run roughly at the same time so undrafted kids can really only chose one camp to go to if they get a few invites without knowing which place they would have a better chance at.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Good to know. Too bad that all the camps run roughly at the same time so undrafted kids can really only chose one camp to go to if they get a few invites without knowing which place they would have a better chance at.

Actually alot camps are around the 20thish of August and alot are around the 26thish of August and ive seen many kids go to 2 camps. Its a crapload of travelling for the family but it still happens alot.

I actually know a family that their kid went to Seattle camp and then went to Victorias camp right after and was listed by the Royals

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Teams want to find those diamonds in the rough that went undrafted and then listed and eventually make the team. It makes the team and scouts look good when they find those unknown type kids. Many kids feel as though everyone is just watching all the drafted kids and it doesnt really matter how they do. But as i said, every single team PRAYS an undrafted camp invite stands out and plays well and plays better than other kids that were drafted. Its all about making the team better down the road so it doesnt matter if the kid was a 1st overall pick or a camp invite. When you step on the ice, scouts treat everyone the same and evaluate everyone fair

I was just talking to a former semi pro player today who said it doesn't matter how good you are at 14 or if you got drafted. You'll end up where you were meant to play: WHL, Junior A/B, College, or beer league.
Consequently, he mentioned that he was a poor player at 14/15 but became very good at 16 years old and then got noticed. Other good players he knew were burnt out by then from all the summer hockey. He credits never being invited to play on summer teams.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I was just talking to a former semi pro player today who said it doesn't matter how good you are at 14 or if you got drafted. You'll end up where you were meant to play: WHL, Junior A/B, College, or beer league.
Consequently, he mentioned that he was a poor player at 14/15 but became very good at 16 years old and then got noticed. Other good players he knew were burnt out by then from all the summer hockey. He credits never being invited to play on summer teams.

Ya it doesnt matter too much at 14 years old. Thats sooo young. The amount of kids ive seen that were studs at 14/15 and then never see them again is unreal. It happens ALOT which is too bad.. But there are also alot that go on to have long successful junior careers and post junior careers

Majority of scouts/gms/pro players say all this nonstop hockey is absolutely ridiculous and more and more kids are starting to burn out and even quit hockey at 17/18/19 years old. High up hockey people have been trying to convince kids to play other sports and get away from the rinks for years now but every parent says the same thing... "Well johnny and mike play all year so when tryouts come in september, they will be a few months ahead of my kid".. Its a vicious circle that is burning kids out

Last edited:

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Makes you wonder what the stat is on what percentage of drafted players actually end up playing in the WHL. Id like to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad