2019 WHL Bantam Draft

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
We will see alot of trades for future picks next year from teams that drafted well last year and signed players.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I can almost bet that eighty percent or more of the players the Winnipeg Ice take are from Manitoba. Or the surrounding areas like eastern Saskatchewan, Minnesota, North Dakota and co.

Just like how the Wheat Kings always tend to draft Manitobans.
It will be interesting to see. Brandon used to draft a lot of Manitoba kids because they were generally under scouted and with Brandon being the farthest team in the East they could likely sign them. It will be interesting to see what Winnipeg does. If they bypass good players just to draft local it doesn’t seem like a recipe for success. I would also assume that Krebs is traded to Kelowna. This team is 2 years away from anything and I doubt he'll want to play his entire career without a playoff appearance. Plus the return could be huge. He's got 2 years left and Kelowna could trade him again after the Memorial Cup run this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: irunthepeg

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
It will be interesting to see. Brandon used to draft a lot of Manitoba kids because they were generally under scouted and with Brandon being the farthest team in the East they could likely sign them. It will be interesting to see what Winnipeg does. If they bypass good players just to draft local it doesn’t seem like a recipe for success.
But when there are 3 MB players in the top 5 or 6, it doesn't seem like a waste if you can ensure they sign. I hear they want to trade up to get the higher end "local" kids. Maybe that goes with your Krebs theory. (Edit: I guess Brandon passed on Mateychuk, so 3 MB kids in top 11)

Last edited:
Reactions: Give and Go

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Blades give away 3rd pick and a 99 Def player to Winnipeg

Pick up

9th -2019
24th -2019

2nd round -2020
5th round 2020

This is going to happen a few more times today

Reactions: lfunk

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Blazers get Lindgren and Levis…..yeesh the history of getting NCAA players committed is not good. There should be assurances they'll come to Kamloops this time before they drafted them no?

Reactions: Kamsurvey

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
What's with Tri-City passing at pick 134 and then resuming at pick 143? Had to go to the washroom?

Reactions: bawkbawk

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Can anyone give me info on the high Portland picks? Kyle Chyzowski, Carter Streek, and Ryder Thompson

I also dont know why we drafted another goalie in Ty Shumanski with Dante Giannuzzi on the roster and drafting Lochlan Gordon high last year. Think we could have used a skater at that pick.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Can anyone give me info on the high Portland picks? Kyle Chyzowski, Carter Streek, and Ryder Thompson

I also dont know why we drafted another goalie in Ty Shumanski with Dante Giannuzzi on the roster and drafting Lochlan Gordon high last year. Think we could have used a skater at that pick.
Almost all teams take a goalie every year. With an average of 12 picks and 2 goalies on every 20 man roster, you gotta take 1. It's the objective science part of it. I don't get some teams taking 2 goalies in the same year.
You could argue that several undrafted goalies will develop and supplant half of the drafted ones (see Kamloops PPL In The System – Kamloops Blazers)

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Almost all teams take a goalie every year. With an average of 12 picks and 2 goalies on every 20 man roster, you gotta take 1. It's the objective science part of it. I don't get some teams taking 2 goalies in the same year.
You could argue that several undrafted goalies will develop and supplant half of the drafted ones (see Kamloops PPL In The System – Kamloops Blazers)
Yeah we had a listed goalie do well last season too in Parker Sawka, I guess it was more of a timing thing in the draft and where could the pick have best helped the team

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
And what's with Cash Arntsen at 283 overall? Why not just list him instead of drafting him a year late?

Last edited:
Reactions: Capitals03

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Blades give away 3rd pick and a 99 Def player to Winnipeg

Pick up

9th -2019
24th -2019

2nd round -2020
5th round 2020

This is going to happen a few more times today
Only 10 of 22 first round picks are in original draft order.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Koehn Ziemmer will be the steal of the draft. Mark my words
You might be correct. I just noticed his December birthdate. 6th youngest in entire draft. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Ziemmer is almost as good as Savoie was 11+ months ago.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
You might be correct. I just noticed his December birthdate. 6th youngest in entire draft. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Ziemmer is almost as good as Savoie was 11+ months ago.

just a questions... does all this birthday stuff matter in the end? besides determining which year you are drafted in... when you get to NHL and want to make the team you need to beat out the best available in the last 20 years. you could say the same for WHL just over 4 years while considering the effect of turnover? I guess it serves to compare with players that have trained for the same number of years but any other value? at this age there are so many factors affecting their development tragectory other than the number of months past / befort their 15 th birth day no?

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
just a questions... does all this birthday stuff matter in the end? besides determining which year you are drafted in... when you get to NHL and want to make the team you need to beat out the best available in the last 20 years. you could say the same for WHL just over 4 years while considering the effect of turnover? I guess it serves to compare with players that have trained for the same number of years but any other value? at this age there are so many factors affecting their development tragectory other than the number of months past / befort their 15 th birth day no?
I wish it didn't matter, but every year, only 1/4 (67 of 230+ this year) are born after June 30. It appears giving weight to the present performance factor is less risky than predicting development trajectory for scouts. You are right though, time will shake out the early birthday chaff.

Reactions: e14

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe little unorthodox, But this is a year where the scouts really needed to do alot of homework on players. 3 teams took zero goalies. The first USA player 3 round, typical. Most teams went with 9-12 players. I think 1 went with 8. There were times when teams grabbed just 5 or 6. Meaning they are trying to reduce the rick of players not signing.

Many players who did not get drafted, that were on the bubble will get invites to camps, the plus side of this is, that they can select the camp they want to attend. So not getting drafted is not the end by any means, 23-27% of the WHL did not get drafted, this does include USA and players from other countries as well. The 04's are going to all have to prove themselves alittle more, the 05 group is very good( like the 97 or 98 year) The they have the 03's which are just under that.

CobraChicken

Feb 24, 2019
The 04's are going to all have to prove themselves alittle more, the 05 group is very good( like the 97 or 98 year) The they have the 03's which are just under that.

I totally agree with this.
From what I've seen, I think the 06 group is even better than the 05's.
After that, their is a steep drop for a couple of years...

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
And there you go, my kid already got his first training camp invite after going undrafted. If he gets another one or two, he has a choice. Draftees have no choice.

Reactions: bawkbawk

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
And there you go, my kid already got his first training camp invite after going undrafted. If he gets another one or two, he has a choice. Draftees have no choice.

He will most likely get more, Some players wont sign, for many reasons.

See, I just dont make this stuff up. Know you have to do some home work. look at sons position.
How many did they draft in that year, How many did they draft in the previous year.
Overage players in that position. How many signed, How many going away to school, NCAA.

You can go for 48 hours to camp( if you want to keep NCAA as a option), Pay for everything, Hotel, food, car rentals, No gift, hats, t shirts, etc.

Ask questions. You can only attend 1 camp per team for D1, ( You can go to other camps 1x as well)
If you go 2x to the same team camp D1 is out the door, D3 can be out the door( it will be questioned) and until its all cleared they cant play D3. Dont be sneaky and try to get away with anything. ( not that you will) They ( WHL) Teams have records of everytime players are on the ice and for how long and what time for camps. I dealt with with at D3 level, Player went to same camp 3x's 3 different years. They allowed him to play, but it was nervous time.

Bring your own snacks,

Reactions: bawkbawk and lfunk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad