2019 University Cup (Lethbridge, AB)

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I have to say I am in shock.
Only because what happened was fair and makes sense...or perhaps...dollars and cents!
Alberta should benefit as #1 seed.
Lethbridge should be the #8 seed.
The gate for the opening night game Alberta-Lethbridge likely will be the best. A potential Alberta-Saskatchewan gate would help too.
UNB and St. FX benefit because they fly accross the Country and don't have to play until Friday.

The Bears played Lethbridge 4 times this season:
Nov. 16th @ Lethbridge (Nicolas Sheran Arena): Alberta 5-Lethbridge 2; shots 43-36 for Alberta
Nov. 17th @Lethbridge (Enmax Arena): Alberta 4-Lethbridge 3 (OT); shots 60-21 for Alberta, Bears started 3rd string goalie Kenny Cameron
February 1st in Edmonton: Alberta 6-Lethbridge 0; shots 59-14 for Alberta
February 2nd in Edmonton: Alberta 9-Lethbridge 5; shots 40-18 for Alberta, Bears started back-up Brendan Burke who was coming off of an injury.

Like Bob, I am very surprised. I can't remember the last time that the #1 seed got to play the #8 seed, deservedly, when they were from the same conference.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
It's unfortunate that Alberta / Sask and UNB / St FX would have to meet in the Semis.

However, from a TV ratings standpoint, it makes perfect sense. An AUS vs CW final would get a lot more viewers than an all-AUS or all-CW final.

Other than Alberta over Lethbridge, I think the QF games will be pretty tight.

Quarterfinals

Saskatchewan 2 Guelph 1
Alberta 5 Lethbridge 0
UNB 4 Carleton 3
Queens 3 St FX 1

Semifinals

Alberta 2 Sakatchewan 0
UNB 4 Queens 0

Championship

Alberta 3 UNB 1

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Makes sense from a Lethbridge hosting point of view between both teams fans should be a good gate.

Although unexpected I'm ok with this
IMO, Lethbridge playing Friday night made more sense. Now they get the excitement of a full house Thursday night and they will be one and done!
At least the fans could have enjoyed 4 games of the UCup before knowing their teams fate.
IMO, it will hurt the gate, but agree that it wouldn't be fare for the #1 seed to have to play Friday night.

Reactions: bert

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It's unfortunate that Alberta / Sask and UNB / St FX would have to meet in the Semis.

However, from a TV ratings standpoint, it makes perfect sense. An AUS vs CW final would get a lot more viewers than an all-AUS or all-CW final.

Other than Alberta over Lethbridge, I think the QF games will be pretty tight.

Quarterfinals

Saskatchewan 2 Guelph 1
Alberta 5 Lethbridge 0
UNB 4 Carleton 3
Queens 3 St FX 1

Semifinals

Alberta 2 Sakatchewan 0
UNB 4 Queens 0

Championship

Alberta 3 UNB 1

I am not brave enough to predict scores. I do think the Queen's - StFX game is a pick 'em. Both teams rely on goaltending and opportunistic scoring. StFX was really banged up for the UNB games, and certainly didn't have their normal late-period pushes. Not sure how healthy they are this week.

I do think Alberta is still the team to beat. The table is set for them, being in their home province and getting Lethbridge to start. Sask could be a challenge for them if the Bears come off an easy win over Lethbridge and don't start out strong. UNB is more physical than Alberta, but that has cost them untimely penalties at the UCup. Skill wise, Alberta might have a very slight edge until you get to UNB's third and fourth lines ... but with TV timeouts the Reds won't be rolling lines 1 through 4 like they normally do.

UNB may try to parlay that old chestnut of "no respect", since they didn't get the #1 seed. Whatever works for them in the dressing room, but it does seem funny from the outside. Carleton should give them a good game, and I am sure they will bang them around a bit. If UNB's power play is cold, or Dubeau has a bad game (he is overdue this season) this could be closer than predicted. I still remember UNB-Western and UNB-Calgary.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Safe to assume all the Thursday/Friday games will be webcast somewhere? I don't see it advertised anywhere yet, but it is 2019..so this should be a given

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The games are still played on ice. You need to execute. If you have a bad game, you will probably lose. Plain and simple.

I tend to agree that UNB may be a bit more physical, but not by a lot. They still have a lot of skill guys who don't like getting hit. I didn't see any of the playoffs, but did read where UNB scored from the "dirty" areas. Look for CAR to pound guys at every opportunity. Other than the UofA-LETH game, I'm hoping for some decent hockey.

UNB did not deserve the #1 seed, but if it makes people feel good to play that card.....

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The quarter-final/bronze games will be webcast at the USports site...semi-finals/gold are on Sportsnet 360.

It doesn’t matter that it’s CW...all championships are a pay per view model now. The basketball/volleyball/track and field championships were all $9.99 for a day and $14.99 for the weekend so I assume the UCup will be similar.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The quarter-final/bronze games will be webcast at the USports site...semi-finals/gold are on Sportsnet 360.

It doesn’t matter that it’s CW...all championships are a pay per view model now. The basketball/volleyball/track and field championships were all $9.99 for a day and $14.99 for the weekend so I assume the UCup will be similar.

As of right now there is nothing on the USports webcast site.

CHAMPIONSHIPS

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My predictions for the championship

Quarterfinals

Saskatchewan 3 Guelph 2 in OT
Alberta 8 Lethbridge 2
UNB 6 Carleton 0
St FX 4 Queens 2

Semifinals

Alberta 3 Sakatchewan 1
UNB 5 ST FX 2

Championship

UNB 4 Alberta 3

Carleton wont lose 6-0, I dont think they will win but Brassard is too good of a goaltender and they beat a very good Mcgill team, out played queens and were the second best team in the OUA after Ottawa all year. If you think that game is going to be a blow out but the Sas Guelph game is close I am not sure how familiar you are with the OUA.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was just looking through the “U Sports Playing Regulations” for the University Cup and I noticed that video review is going to be used this year. I wonder if that will become a requirement moving forward?

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Guelph over U of S
Alberta Over Leithbridge
Carleton over UNB
Queens over Stfx.

I don’t think above will happen but it’s been strange USport year

More likely this will happen
U of S over Guelph
Alberta over Leithbridge
Unb over Carleton
Stfx over Queens

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008

I watched the basketball games for no charge on AUStv last weekend,unless Dal circumvented usports rules?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I watched the Dal semi final and the final this last weekend.

Maybe because they were televised?? That’s the only reason I can think of.

You should be able to watch the UCup semi-finals/final online at no charge (if you have Sportsnet through your cable provider) but I think it would be through Sportsnet and not AUStv.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Stauffer Predictions:

based partially on the OUA going 0-9 over the last 3 University Cups in the 8-team format era.

Saskatchewan 4-Guelph 2
Alberta 5-Lethbridge 1
St. FX 3-Queens 2 (OT)
UNB 6-Carleton 1

Alberta 3-Saskatchewan 1
UNB 6-ST. FX 1

Alberta 4-UNB 3 (OT)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad