VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Sask 5 Guelph 2
Alberta 6 Lethbridge 1
Queens 3 X 2 (ot)
Unb 4 Carleton 3

Alberta 2 Sask 1 (ot)
Unb 5 Queens 2

Alberta 4 unb 2 with AB pp doing unb in...

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
I just hope the games are entertaining. I'm leaving 80F Louisiana for 36F Lethbridge. No shorts and sandals there.
Hey AUS!
While u are out here check out "the Penny Coffee House" . Classic old Atlantic feel!!
5th street in old Lethbridge downtown!!

Reactions: AUS Fan

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
The games are still played on ice. You need to execute. If you have a bad game, you will probably lose. Plain and simple.

I tend to agree that UNB may be a bit more physical, but not by a lot. They still have a lot of skill guys who don't like getting hit. I didn't see any of the playoffs, but did read where UNB scored from the "dirty" areas. Look for CAR to pound guys at every opportunity. Other than the UofA-LETH game, I'm hoping for some decent hockey.

UNB did not deserve the #1 seed, but if it makes people feel good to play that card.....

The words "UNB did not deserve the #1 seed" may be a little harsh. A 25-2-3 regular season and 5-0 playoffs in my mind the toughest conference certainly deserves a least a thought. Alberta is ranked #1 but finished in second place in their conference regular season and lost a playoff game. I don't think the difference between the 2 is so much that UNB wasn't at least considered

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Carleton wont lose 6-0, I dont think they will win but Brassard is too good of a goaltender and they beat a very good Mcgill team, out played queens and were the second best team in the OUA after Ottawa all year. If you think that game is going to be a blow out but the Sas Guelph game is close I am not sure how familiar you are with the OUA.

Been watching, following and attending CIS hockey as a religion since 1991 when I was only 11 years old. Im highly respectfully of Carlton being a good OUA team. And upsets happen when you least expect it for sure. But if you feel UNB can't score 6 on Carleton if Queens scored 4 and that the possibility of UNB can't shut out Carleton when Queens allowed a goal.......

The Ravens will not fire 56 shots at the UNB net, 30 is extremely doubtfull. And not getting 20 shots is a high possibility.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Been watching, following and attending CIS hockey as a religion since 1991 when I was only 11 years old. Im highly respectfully of Carlton being a good OUA team. And upsets happen when you least expect it for sure. But if you feel UNB can't score 6 on Carleton if Queens scored 4 and that the possibility of UNB can't shut out Carleton when Queens allowed a goal.......

The Ravens will not fire 56 shots at the UNB net, 30 is extremely doubtfull. And not getting 20 shots is a high possibility.

I think the UNB-Carleton game is very difficult to predict. Of the three OUA teams, I believe that Carleton is the one that COULD upset UNB, because they have the size and grit to counter UNB.

Let's remember that Carleton outplayed Queen's in both games, and that Carleton got past a tough McGill team after losing the first game in that series. They've earned their spot. BUT, this is also a Carleton team that lost TWICE to RMC this season. I question the quality of their coaching, and I question their discipline. If UNB gets ahead early, this is a game that could quickly spiral out of control for Carleton.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I think the UNB-Carleton game is very difficult to predict. Of the three OUA teams, I believe that Carleton is the one that COULD upset UNB, because they have the size and grit to counter UNB.

Let's remember that Carleton outplayed Queen's in both games, and that Carleton got past a tough McGill team after losing the first game in that series. They've earned their spot. BUT, this is also a Carleton team that lost TWICE to RMC this season. I question the quality of their coaching, and I question their discipline. If UNB gets ahead early, this is a game that could quickly spiral out of control for Carleton.

I do agree out of the 3 OUA teams Carleton is the one with the best chance of an upset vs UNB no doubt

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Well I didnt say that they couldnt score 6 I said they werent beating them 6-0 in a game of this magnitude. Not hard to understand what I was saying, I literally said I dont expect them to win the game.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I expect Saskatchewan to advance today, prediction 4-2. I think their defensive game will limit Guelph's chances in the offensive zone. Guelph is coming in after losing the Queens Cup, Dave Adolph's squad has lost 2 straight, after opening the CanadaWest final with a win.
Alberta 6-1 over Lethbridge, as Lethbridge isn't only the least skilled team in the University Cup, but they haven't played a game in a month!

Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Thanks for coming Guelph. They overachieved in the playoffs and Sask just skated circles around them. Not to mention a lethal powerplay.

Those 4-5 seeds games continue to favour the AUS or CanWest teams.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Not a great game. Guelph had a few lucky bounces and could have scored, but..... They got a bit stupid with a min left but UofS kept their composure.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I expect Saskatchewan to advance today, prediction 4-2. I think their defensive game will limit Guelph's chances in the offensive zone. Guelph is coming in after losing the Queens Cup, Dave Adolph's squad has lost 2 straight, after opening the CanadaWest final with a win.
Alberta 6-1 over Lethbridge, as Lethbridge isn't only the least skilled team in the University Cup, but they haven't played a game in a month!
Pretty close eh!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Lethbridge did a good job to keep it close for the first half of the game, but no match for the Bears over 60 minutes.

Some tough breaks in that 2nd period for the Pronghorns though - a goal that may have been offside, a short handed goal, and another with 17 seconds left in the period. Those are all tough ones to give up.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UofA is a very good team. Watching them live you see that they never stop skating, they support the puck all over the ice. Lethbridge was doomed from the opening faceoff. Credit them for hanging around.

Reactions: Rob and FreddtFoyle

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
DAY ONE RECAP

#4 Guelph vs #5 USask (Afternoon)
As most expected, the Huskies played a full 60min and despite not scoring in two straight games vs ALB to lose the CW title - they scored two goals a period on their way to a 6-1 win. Surprisingly the shots were 28-36 for Guelph. Top of the heap for USK was PoG Collin Shirley with 4A, Wyatt Johnson 1G+2A and Carson Stadnyk with 2G. The PoG for Guelph was Scott Simmonds.
Final Score: 6-1 for USK, shots 36-28 for Guelph

#1 Alberta vs #8 Lethbridge (Evening)
Again, as most expected, the top seed vs the lonely host was a blow-out. Alberta won 7-1 with six different scorers on 28 shots vs Lethbridge's 12. The game was close, in score, with the Horns scoring their loan goal early in the 2nd period and it remained 2-1 beyond the halfway mark. Then ALB opened up with five straight. Notable performers for ALB were PoG (USports MVP) Luke Philp with 2G+2A and Trevor Cox with 1G+3A. The PoV for Lethbridge was Justin Valentino.
Final Score: 7-1 for ALB, shots 28-12 for Alberta

Semi-Final #1 is as an all Canada West affair between #1 Alberta and #5 Saskatchewan in a rematch of UCup '18 Semi's.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
No surprises on Day 1. Guelph was overmatched, and like most first-time (in a long time) UCup participants was likely overwhelmed by the experience. I also don't think we'll see Guelph back for a while, as their top players are all graduating.
I'm much more excited to see the matches on Day 2.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Gritty effort by Carleton this afternoon. They were outplayed, outshot but had a chance. Dubeau was solid making several good saves on the PK. A little more skill by Carleton and they could finish a few of their chances. Very entertaining game.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Ice conditions looked bad this afternoon, both teams struggled at times trying to move the puck around, especially on the PP.
Good game from Carleton, as I think that they have had a good team since pushing USask to overtime in Halifax.Brassard was solid in nets for the Ravens!
That wasn't one of UNB's better performances, but they found a way to get it done.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
With regards to the ice conditions Victor Findlay said that they looked pretty bad. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue for the rest of the tournament.

Also, I hope the camera angle is better for Sportsnet. It seems quite far from the ice.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I can't believe Queens lost that game, after jumping out to a 3-0 lead. That is usually the recipe for success against X, but they sat back, letting Marchand settle in as the pp went to work.
X owned the second and third period against the OUA champs.
St Fx has gone through a pile of drama, disposing Acadia in the third and deciding game in an AUS quarter final, after they had a major brawl/suspensions handed to them, including a 10 game suspension to the coach and then crawling back to win 3 straight against a very skilled SMU team.
Despite getting shelled 5-1,7-1 by UNB in the AUS final, they get another shot at UNB.
:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad