2019 University Cup (Lethbridge, AB)

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So for clarity sakes let's give you the #'s.
Five of the last 6 times the University Cup was held in the West.. Alberta won it all:
1999 (Saskatoon)
2000 (Saskatoon)
2005 (Edmonton)
2006 (Edmonton)
2013 UNB won in Saskatoon
2014 (Saskatoon)

Waterloo upset the Golden Bears 2-1 in the round-robin in 2013. for those asking, Bears outshot them 43-13, Warriors had 2 EVS SOG. Bears also outshot SMU 40-20 and beat them 4-3 in OT, but Huskies advanced through.

The next year Alberta outshot Carleton 41-17 and McGill 55-20 but had to sneak through with a 3-2 win vs the Ravens and a Johnny Lazo OT winner vs McGill.

Obviously we are headed for an Alberta-Carleton opening game. Absolutely the Ravens can win the game; I am fairly confident though that Alberta will outshoot them in the 37-24 range.

UNB wallops Lethbridge who were the 6th best team in the West this year.

Reactions: TB12

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
So for clarity sakes let's give you the #'s.
Five of the last 6 times the University Cup was held in the West.. Alberta won it all:
1999 (Saskatoon)
2000 (Saskatoon)
2005 (Edmonton)
2006 (Edmonton)
2013 UNB won in Saskatoon
2014 (Saskatoon)

Waterloo upset the Golden Bears 2-1 in the round-robin in 2013. for those asking, Bears outshot them 43-13, Warriors had 2 EVS SOG. Bears also outshot SMU 40-20 and beat them 4-3 in OT, but Huskies advanced through.

The next year Alberta outshot Carleton 41-17 and McGill 55-20 but had to sneak through with a 3-2 win vs the Ravens and a Johnny Lazo OT winner vs McGill.

Obviously we are headed for an Alberta-Carleton opening game. Absolutely the Ravens can win the game; I am fairly confident though that Alberta will outshoot them in the 37-24 range.

UNB wallops Lethbridge who were the 6th best team in the West this year.
Impressive!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
The Red Army and the Wild West:
1998 (Saskatoon) Gold
1999 (Saskatoon) silver (lost double o.t. Alberta)
2013 (Saskatoon) Gold.
Overall University Cup record 8-1
Only other games that the V-Reds played were exhibition victories over U of C at Father David Bauer Arena and U of A at Claire Drake Arena 2010-11?
IMO, UNB elevated their program to elite status at the 2007 University Cup, when they were led by former USport MVP Rob Henniger and former UNB/NHL alumni Daryl Boyce.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Sorry Red Army East but the Bears beat AUS Champ Moncton 6-2 in the final in '99.
The V-Reds lost 5-4 in Double OT to Russ Hewson and the Golden Bears in 2000 in Saskatoon.
I wanted UNB (BADLY!) in Edmonton in 2005 and 2006 but the AUS only had one spot both years and Moncton and Acadia won the AUS those years and got annihilated by Saskatchewan both years...when the USports game still had physicality in it!
IMO Alberta was very lucky to beat UNB in 2008 in Moncton...but winning in the Atlantic is never easy, which made the 2015 Final in Halifax that much more enjoyable for me; watching the Golden Bears limit UNB to 9 SOG in a 6-3 win.

Reactions: TB12

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Sorry Red Army East but the Bears beat AUS Champ Moncton 6-2 in the final in '99.
The V-Reds lost 5-4 in Double OT to Russ Hewson and the Golden Bears in 2000 in Saskatoon.
I wanted UNB (BADLY!) in Edmonton in 2005 and 2006 but the AUS only had one spot both years and Moncton and Acadia won the AUS those years and got annihilated by Saskatchewan both years...when the USports game still had physicality in it!
IMO Alberta was very lucky to beat UNB in 2008 in Moncton...but winning in the Atlantic is never easy, which made the 2015 Final in Halifax that much more enjoyable for me; watching the Golden Bears limit UNB to 9 SOG in a 6-3 win.
Moncton 2008:
Hunter Tremblay intercepted a clearing attempt, hit the post square on, from a give away in the slot, with less than a couple minutes left. Also, Sorochan caught a high shot that many (including myself who had a great viewing angle) say was over the goal line, but no instant replay.
UNB got their revenge on Sorochan and the Bears, beating them the following year in T-Bay and winning the 20o9 U Cup.
IMO, UNB could have won 3 straight.
SMU had some great teams back then (won 2010 Cup), some real AUS battles with UNB. Rancourt, Fergus, Hotham brothers etc.. dangerous pp unit!

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I've learned to take nothing for granted in these tournaments.

Alberta and UNB are favorites no doubt, but anything can happen in a single game of hockey.

It should have been an Alberta/UNB final last year but ST FX does that thing they do to UNB it seems each year.

I forget UNBs record vs OUA competition the past few years I think something like 40-1 ? The problem is that game meant something when Western beat UNB 3-2 at the UCup in Freddy.

I refuse to look past Lethbridge, it's a different situation for them, they'll be playing in front of a larger home crowd than normal. May change everything.

To those saying Queens should beat X, I doubt it. Don't let the scores of the AUS final fool ya. You'll see the X-Men that came back vs a good Huskies team.

Saskatchewan is due to experience at some point some luck? A top 5 program it seems every year with next to nothing to show for it.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X
Like I mentioned before, your going to get an X team that was better than the one that knocked off SMU, as Cooke (best player) didn't play. They will be rested and ready. A match up with Queens could be a very close game? X is familiar with playing UNB/SMU, but not with the Gaels, which is good news for Queens.
In fact they are probably familiar with Alberta, as they also have met the Bears at several recent Nationals.
I agree that this years version of the X-Men are not as talented as some of the more recent X teams, but still very capable and dangerous opponent. They have gone through a lot of drama and won two tough playoff matches, including SMU, who was very good this year. If you don't get to Marchand early, he can steal the show! They did beat UNB twice in the second half.
With X, they rely on Marchand and an efficient pp, which has struggled without USport All-Star Holden Cooke, they are well coached.
With the Gaels, they are OUA champs, but IMO, that doesn't mean that they are favourites.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Do I think Queeen’s will beat X? No.

Would I be surprised if they did? Not really. They have a good goaltender and are facing an offensively-challenged team so it should be a close game.

I do think the gap between the top OUA teams and the top AUS teams has closed a bit in recent years.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What the heck just happened here?

Bears earn No. 1 seed, play Lethbridge in quarter-final

No. 1 Alberta to play No. 8 Lethbridge in U SPORTS Quarter-Final on Thursday
By U SPORTS Communications on March 10, 2019
1819-philp-5.jpg

Luke Philp
TORONTO (U SPORTS) - The Alberta Golden Bearshave been named David Johnston University Cup favourites the lead-up to an action-packed weekend of national championships.

The 2019 U SPORTS Cavendish Farms University Cup, hosted by the Lethbridge Pronghorns in kicks off on Thursday at the ENMAX Centre, home of the Western Hockey League’s Lethbridge Hurricanes, and concludes next Sunday with the gold-medal final at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT. The semifinals and final will be broadcasted live on Sportsnet 360 and SN NOW All remaining games livestreamed at USPORTS.LIVE.
CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE

Wednesday, Mar. 13

Meet the Teams Media Conference, 12 p.m. MST
All-Canadian Awards Gala, 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT

Thursday, Mar. 14 (Quarterfinals)

No. 4 Guelph vs. No. 5 Saskatchewan, 1 p.m. MST
No. 1 Alberta vs. No. 8 Lethbridge, 7 p.m. MST

Friday, Mar. 15 (Quarterfinals)

No. 2 UNB vs. No. 7 Carleton, 3 p.m. ET / 12 p.m. PT
No. 3 Queen’s vs. No. 6 StFX, 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT

Reactions: AdamMcg83

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Had a feeling this could happen...regardless of the possible conference match-up, the difference between Lethbridge and Carleton was just too massive to put the Pronghorns at #7. Alberta would have had every right to be mad if they got the Ravens instead....especially if it was Friday night. So now they get the easier matchup and get the extra day of rest...as they should as the #1 seed.

Reactions: Rob

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Makes sense from a Lethbridge hosting point of view between both teams fans should be a good gate.

Although unexpected I'm ok with this

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
More than a mild surprise for me. I've always thought the 1st round match-up thing was cast in stone. Guess not. I do agree with the fact that CAR is a better team than LETH. All things being equal, we could have an AUS semi and a CW semi.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have to say I am in shock.
Only because what happened was fair and makes sense...or perhaps...dollars and cents!
Alberta should benefit as #1 seed.
Lethbridge should be the #8 seed.
The gate for the opening night game Alberta-Lethbridge likely will be the best. A potential Alberta-Saskatchewan gate would help too.
UNB and St. FX benefit because they fly accross the Country and don't have to play until Friday.

The Bears played Lethbridge 4 times this season:
Nov. 16th @ Lethbridge (Nicolas Sheran Arena): Alberta 5-Lethbridge 2; shots 43-36 for Alberta
Nov. 17th @Lethbridge (Enmax Arena): Alberta 4-Lethbridge 3 (OT); shots 60-21 for Alberta, Bears started 3rd string goalie Kenny Cameron
February 1st in Edmonton: Alberta 6-Lethbridge 0; shots 59-14 for Alberta
February 2nd in Edmonton: Alberta 9-Lethbridge 5; shots 40-18 for Alberta, Bears started back-up Brendan Burke who was coming off of an injury.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Makes sense from a Lethbridge hosting point of view between both teams fans should be a good gate.

Although unexpected I'm ok with this

Speaking just from an attendance POV...is it better to put your eggs all in one basket like this? Or would it be better to have the two teams play on different nights and hope their fans come early for the other game that day?

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Speaking just from an attendance POV...is it better to put your eggs all in one basket like this? Or would it be better to have the two teams play on different nights and hope their fans come early for the other g

I think it does benefit the gate, because a Lethbridge UNB opening crowd may not have been that great. Alberta Carleton crowd also may not have been that great either.

Now Lethbridges only game (likely regardless if they play Alberta or UNB, will likely be a sellout. Alberta second game will likely be against Saskatchewan in semis, which should be also a good crowd. And regardless of which gets to the Cup Final should play minimum to 60% full

Reactions: Rob

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I prefer the UNB/Carleton Matchup. I definately think Carleton maybe a stronger team but......they did not face stronger competition like Lethbridge did all year, and they will not have the home crowd on their side like Lethbridge would have.

I think Alberta has an Easier time with Lethbridge than UNB would have.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
My predictions for the championship

Quarterfinals

Saskatchewan 3 Guelph 2 in OT
Alberta 8 Lethbridge 2
UNB 6 Carleton 0
St FX 4 Queens 2

Semifinals

Alberta 3 Sakatchewan 1
UNB 5 ST FX 2

Championship

UNB 4 Alberta 3

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think Lethbridge would rather play Alberta honestly. They know them better and have pushed them to OT once this season (even if they were heavily out-shot).

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I have to say I am in shock.
Only because what happened was fair and makes sense...or perhaps...dollars and cents!
Alberta should benefit as #1 seed.
Lethbridge should be the #8 seed.
The gate for the opening night game Alberta-Lethbridge likely will be the best. A potential Alberta-Saskatchewan gate would help too.
UNB and St. FX benefit because they fly accross the Country and don't have to play until Friday.

The Bears played Lethbridge 4 times this season:
Nov. 16th @ Lethbridge (Nicolas Sheran Arena): Alberta 5-Lethbridge 2; shots 43-36 for Alberta
Nov. 17th @Lethbridge (Enmax Arena): Alberta 4-Lethbridge 3 (OT); shots 60-21 for Alberta, Bears started 3rd string goalie Kenny Cameron
February 1st in Edmonton: Alberta 6-Lethbridge 0; shots 59-14 for Alberta
February 2nd in Edmonton: Alberta 9-Lethbridge 5; shots 40-18 for Alberta, Bears started back-up Brendan Burke who was coming off of an injury.
So Lethbridge is due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad