2019 University Cup (Lethbridge, AB)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Unbelievable that X keeps on pulling off these comebacks. I’ve said and thought all season that they aren’t a particularly great team this year but hell, at this point, they could win the whole thing and I wouldn’t be surprised.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Penalties were a big factor in the game tonight. Even when SFX didn't score, QUE had guys sitting. Credit to SFX for not caving in. QUE had a great 1st period, but stopped playing for most of the game. The few good chances they had, Marchand was there for SFX.
Regarding attendance, there are more volunteers then fans. I can see a decent crowd tomorrow for the UofA game, but not as many as yesterday.

Shades of Kitchener in 2001-2002

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Penalties were a big factor in the game tonight. Even when SFX didn't score, QUE had guys sitting. Credit to SFX for not caving in. QUE had a great 1st period, but stopped playing for most of the game. The few good chances they had, Marchand was there for SFX.
Regarding attendance, there are more volunteers then fans. I can see a decent crowd tomorrow for the UofA game, but not as many as yesterday.

Shades of Kitchener in 2001-2002
Good thing it's only for this year. As a student athlete, it's exciting to play in a building 3/4 full or better.
As far as the CanadaWest hosting, we know it works in Saskatoon. I don't know about Edmonton, since they have added the Oil Kings. Bears hosted in 2005-6.
It would be more of a challenge there now?

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The tournament organizers really blew it as far as I'm concerned with their seedings. I think that two Canada West vs AUS semi finals would have been a lot more satisfactory and even more interesting. Alb / Sask and UNB / St FX were just league finals a week or so ago.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The tournament organizers really blew it as far as I'm concerned with their seedings. I think that two Canada West vs AUS semi finals would have been a lot more satisfactory and even more interesting. Alb / Sask and UNB / St FX were just league finals a week or so ago.

While I agree I would rather see inter-conference games...I don’t know what the committee could have done. You can’t just make up the rankings based on POTENTIAL semi-final matchups...and it would’ve made no sense to rank Lethbridge ahead of Carleton or St. FX ahead of Saskatchewan.

The only move that would’ve been at least somewhat justifiable, and would have prevented this situation, was to put UNB ahead of Alberta.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
While I agree I would rather see inter-conference games...I don’t know what the committee could have done. You can’t just make up the rankings based on POTENTIAL semi-final matchups...and it would’ve made no sense to rank Lethbridge ahead of Carleton or St. FX ahead of Saskatchewan.

The only move that would’ve been at least somewhat justifiable, and would have prevented this situation, was to put UNB ahead of Alberta.

Despite a couple of close scores in the quarter finals, OUA supporters must be disappointed that all three teams are one and done again!

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007

This is why I'm not a fan of 8 teams from just 3 conferences going to the U-cup.

I can't speak for the OUA or Canada West. But this format of 8 has completely devalued the importance of a AUS Championship, means nothing to win when 1 or 2 other teams are gonna go to the UCup anyway.

The former 4 team tourney Semis and Championship at Varsity Arena was the most pure method. Prob is these days with No Host team (means less dollars) so it will never be done again.

6 teams wasn't so bad with a host and rotating wild card, but the format with no official semifinals didn't work for the Television networks.

I would like to see a Memorial Cup style format. Canada West Champ, AUS Champ, OUA Champ and a Host team. 3 game each Round Robin. 3rd vs 2nd semifinal, and 1st place gets a Buy to the final. But the tournament would have to start on a Monday and end on the following Sunday

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
This is why I'm not a fan of 8 teams from just 3 conferences going to the U-cup.

I can't speak for the OUA or Canada West. But this format of 8 has completely devalued the importance of a AUS Championship, means nothing to win when 1 or 2 other teams are gonna go to the UCup anyway.

The former 4 team tourney Semis and Championship at Varsity Arena was the most pure method. Prob is these days with No Host team (means less dollars) so it will never be done again.

6 teams wasn't so bad with a host and rotating wild card, but the format with no official semifinals didn't work for the Television networks.

I would like to see a Memorial Cup style format. Canada West Champ, AUS Champ, OUA Champ and a Host team. 3 game each Round Robin. 3rd vs 2nd semifinal, and 1st place gets a Buy to the final. But the tournament would have to start on a Monday and end on the following Sunday

Or even better scrap the semi, 1st vs 2nd championship. Therefore you avoid any team playing 5 games and tourney could start on a Tuesday

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I wouldn’t mind a Memorial Cup style tournament with 3 conference champions + host....but you know the OUA would want their two guaranteed spots.

I know one of the main arguments against it are that it would last a week and these are students...but under the current format most teams arrive on Monday anyways (so they are missing 5-6 days of school anyways). Not to mention, the curling championship going on right now lasts six days so it’s not like a longer tournament isn’t already being done.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was speaking to a coach the other day who guessed that it would cost around 50K for an Eastern team to come out here. Hotel setup is rather curious. UNB and SFX are in the same hotel as are UofA and UofS. Guess the organizers don't know about regional rivalries.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I think seeding UNB #1 after their very strong playoff run would have been a lot better than having what is basically Game 4 of the Canada West Finals and Game 3 of the AUS Finals playing out as the National Championship Semi Finals.

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
For all the hype of UNB on here I cant say they impressed me yesterday at all. Murphy and Leblanc had good games and Dubeau was awesome but for a team with a lot of 5th year players they didnt overpower carelton who didnt have one 5th year player in the lineup... Careltons heavy forcheck created multiple giveaways that they didnt capitalize on...Careltons whole d core coming back could make for a strong team next year but losing brassard will be tough.... Was an awesome game to watch very phsyical

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
People will never be completely satisfied no matter what. The reason I'm here is to watch hockey. We can complain about the format, but it is what it is for the moment. I agree that the OUA should be removed. I agree that only UNB and ALB should play a best of five every year, but until that happens.....

I saw two poor games on Thursday, which I expected. I saw two good games yesterday, the CAR game was a lot of fun. I expect to see two tough games today and a good Gold game tomorrow . Neither team in the Bronze game will want to be there, so I don't expect a lot.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
For all the hype of UNB on here I cant say they impressed me yesterday at all. Murphy and Leblanc had good games and Dubeau was awesome but for a team with a lot of 5th year players they didnt overpower carelton who didnt have one 5th year player in the lineup... Careltons heavy forcheck created multiple giveaways that they didnt capitalize on...Careltons whole d core coming back could make for a strong team next year but losing brassard will be tough.... Was an awesome game to watch very phsyical

It certainly wasn’t their best game that’s for sure...but a big reason for that was their opponent. Carleton is a good team.

I know a lot of UNB fans were concerned about the toughness they lost after last year in Thomas/Lewis...but I thought they stood up well yesterday to a big, physical Ravens team.

Reactions: KKWG11

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I attended the last final-4 UCup in Toronto. It was also my first. It was drama to the max.

I liked how the 6-team format gave everyone 2 games to play and avoided the one and done.

I am not enjoying the one and done when you have a crowded 8-team format, and the disparity between the AUS and CanWest runners-up vs OUA runners-up.

My suggestion. Not original. Go back to final-4 with one evening game per day. AUS, CanWest, OUA East and OUA West winners. All three games on TV. Like the Americans, let any city bid for hosting knowing there will be no host slot. It is a financial risk, but let the Canadian Frozen Four sell itself on its quality and drama.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No question since going to an 8-team Tournament the OUA has been exposed...as they are now 0-12!
My theory is that often OUA teams had little or no pressure on them in the 6-team tournament format, because everyone expected either an AUS or CW winner out of the pool, and the lower seed actually got last change, etc in the opening game.
Now the finality of a 1-game showdown puts equal pressure on both teams IMO.
The other thing is the OUA Playoff structure, which has seen some good teams not make it to the Nationals; though I firmly assert that both SMU and Calgary were better than what we saw from the OUA at this Tournament.

Alberta and UNB the favorites today; but we all know anything can happen!

Reactions: TB12

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
My suggestion. Not original. Go back to final-4 with one evening game per day. AUS, CanWest, OUA East and OUA West winners. All three games on TV. Like the Americans, let any city bid for hosting knowing there will be no host slot. It is a financial risk, but let the Canadian Frozen Four sell itself on its quality and drama.

I think that could certainly work for a place like Halifax or maybe Moncton. Given the proximity of the AUS schools to those two cities I would think their representative would get good support no matter who it was. Not sure how it would work in other parts of the country though.

If they continue with having a host I actually wouldn’t mind seeing the AUS as a conference be the “host”. Have the tournament in Halifax and just take the top 3 finishers in the playoffs, not a specified host team + 2 others. As much as I love having it in Fredericton, it certainly felt like a much bigger event in Halifax.

Does anyone know how much longer Sportsnet has the tournament? I wonder if TSN will make a push to get it back when the chance comes up again, given their lack of NHL coverage now. I know it’s not quite the same, but they are the main reason the WJHC has turned into such a major event so maybe they could put the marketing machine behind the UCup.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Biggest issue in oua is there too many teams which waters down talent base. Twenty teams is too many and best of 3 format is issue as well.

Only top 6 from each conference should make playoffs and top 2 seeds in each division get a bye into conference semifinals

1st rd of oua playoffs should be best of 3.
Second Round should be best of five and conference finals is a best of 3 then a winner take all for Queens Cup

Other issue for oua is afa money. It’s not even close to same playing field compare to AUS. The Best players will mostly likely head to AUS because everything is reimbursed to said player if they go school out east. . I know of many players who went to said schools and have walked away with no school debt and few $$$ in their bank accounts

Last edited:
Reactions: AUS Fan

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Biggest issue in oua is there too many teams which waters down talent base. Twenty teams is too many and best of 3 format is issue as well.

Only top 6 from each conference should make playoffs and top 2 seeds in each division get a bye into conference semifinals

1st rd of oua playoffs should be best of 3.
Second Round should be best of five and conference finals is a best of 3 then a winner take all for Queens Cup

Other issue for oua is afa money. It’s not even close to same playing field compare to AUS. The Best players will mostly likely head to AUS because everything is reimbursed to said player if they go school out east. . I know of many players who went to said schools and have walked away with no school debt and few $$$ in their bank accounts

Keep in mind 24 million out of the 35 Million people live in Ontario and Quebec , so having more schools and teams make total sence.

But I get the other side the TOP programs in the OUA are really good, but their disadvantage is the bottom programs are really weak. So they don't always have to play at a high level all the time. No nights off in the AUS or Canada West

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007

They didnt look great at all which was a surprise, worst game I saw of them this year. But Carleton deserves credit for that, they did what they had to.

Reactions: KKWG11

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I'm sure both Can West and AUS believe they are the strongest league in the country. It would have been great to see how Alb / St FX and UNB / Sask semi finals would have played out.

If Alb and Sask are the top 2 teams in the country, they deserve the opportunity to play in the championship game but these "sacred" seedings won't allow that, especially since some posters were critical of UNB in their first game.

Poor tournament planning doesn't help sell the product to TSN or anyone else.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Death. Taxes. And the Bears beating Sask in playoffs.

And in typical CLASSLESS U of S fashion they start a ton of crap after the empty netter. Been seeing them pull this shit for 20 years.

f*** you Adolph you piece of shit. f***ing classless.

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Entertaining end to a good game between alberta vs sask... Interesting to see how supension are handed out

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Two things that will never happen again in my lifetime:

- The Huskies beating Alberta when it really matters.

- The Huskies scoring a goal on Sawchenko.

Bears will get hosed if they lose Lange because of that fight at the end.

Saskatchewan is getting good at this bronze medal game thing.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Pretty gutless by Forsberg in the Husky /Bear game (another Husky or 2 as well). Thats how the guy has always rolled though

Reactions: TB12

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
From the look on Herbers face, looked like the ref was explaining Lange got a fighting major. Interesting that on the game summary, they do not have Lange's penalty listed. Ref stood back and watched the entire play with his notebook out. Going to be interesting what they call on that play. Will we see Wil Tomchuk (if he is available) revive his role as big game player in the National finals if Lange is suspended.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The box score is showing both Forsbergs with instigators and game misconducts but nothing for Lange. Not sure how it works here, but in the AUS if you are in a fight where the other guy gets an instigator, oftentimes you won’t get suspended.

If Lange gets suspended (which I don’t think he will, especially given nothing showing on the boxscore) Alberta would have every right to be furious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daryls Nose

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
* Don't blame the tournament organizers for the draw. All they did was pick between a Thursday and a Friday opening game for the host team.

* Don't blame OUA losses on the format. They are in a slow period because their few decent programs (actually from Quebec) have managed some wins in the past. From what I have seen, they have no Alberta/Saskatchewan calibre programs, a few Calgary/Manitoba/UBC/MRU calibre programs, a lot of Lethbridge/Regina calibre programs, and a few sub-ACAC calibre programs.

* Each conference's #1 and #2 teams should be on opposite sides of the draw. A conference's #3 team should play a team from another conference in the opening round.

* The CIS/US has no consistent philosophy on formats, qualifications, and seedings for national tournaments.

* The national tournament concept might need a re-work. A final four would be best from my point of view but I don't see it happening. The 6-team format was pure silliness.

* These are students. Best-of-5 series should never happen. Keep the playoffs and nationals short and sweet.

* I wouldn't mind seeing all preliminary losers compete for the bronze. They used to do that.

* SportsNet got the rights to CIS/US before they had NHL rights. There was much fanfare and talk about it leading to expanded regional and on-line coverage. Right now, TSN seems a much better fit. Their mobile app has a lot of special features like rugby and NCAA coverage not available on their 5 regular channels.

* The allocation of a berth for the RSEQ is a joke, and has been for years. If they want a berth, they should be ineligible for OUA playoffs and their top two teams should meet the teams eliminated from the CW and AUS semi-finals.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bears beat Huskies when it matters the most...again!
Saskatchewan refers to the Bears as "forever rivals".
OK.
Full disclosure I'm in Arizona and I couldn't watch the game online because of U.S. "Protectionism".
My friends were losing it because of the actions of Forsberg brothers...at the end of the game.
I have yet to see it...but I have seen this act before from the U of S...there is a common denominater since the mid 1990's...figure it out!
Zack Sawchenko is good enough to play in the AHL.
His decision to not return to Moose Jaw for his 20 year-old season and come to the U of A a year early cost Moose Jaw a WHL title last year...and helped Alberta outlast SASK and X last year.
UNB or X will give a very good Bears team all they can handle.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Anyone know who the colour commentator is for Sportsnet at the StFX/UNB game? Guy sure likes to talk about his own hockey career more than the guys playing on the ice.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
While I'm obviously excited to see UNB go after another championship Sunday night I'm also excited to see the two best teams in the country finally face each other. UofA was clearly the superior team back in 2015. This time they are evenly match IMHO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad