2019 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Just keeping track of his bad business decisions, that's all.
you don't win a cup by doing business. even if people are salty about him I still think that he is a great jackets and keeping him around will not hurt the team. especially since they don't need the cap and if the owner were really concerned about money they would have pushed for it but they didn't I'm pretty sure the trust in Jarmo is pretty high.

Reactions: thebus88 and Fro

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There was nothing at all bad about the contract when signed, to try and hindsight it is bad

I remember thinking the length was a tad too long, but the $ were fine

It's been a disaster of a contract. Dubinsky played the type of game which usually falls off in the late 20s /early 30s. Jarmo gets a D on this one.

Brandon Dubinsky - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Two OK years followed by 2 garbage years followed by 2 nothing years. Only a blind apologist for Jarmo could call this anything but a poor deal for the CBJ

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Who cares, it’s not your money. If his contract doesn’t count against the cap then that’s great.
Well, it’s ownership’s money and they are the ones who pay for everything. Either way, IF he ends up going on LTIR then insurance will kick in for 80%? of what he gets paid for the time he is on IR after 20 games if I understand correctly.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
There was nothing at all bad about the contract when signed, to try and hindsight it is bad

I remember thinking the length was a tad too long, but the $ were fine
I think your last sentence is on point and to truly evaluate a contract's merits requires one to measure both. And as it stands it's a bad contract.

I appreciate what Dubi brought to this term in his first half of his career and this injury, if career ending, is a tough way for him to end things. I don't want to be mean here, but him being out of the lineup is overdue.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Well, it’s ownership’s money and they are the ones who pay for everything. Either way, IF he ends up going on LTIR then insurance will kick in for 80%? of what he gets paid for the time he is on IR after 20 games if I understand correctly.
insurance isn't standardized so we don't know. but there's no reason why it wouldn't be insured since Dubi wasn't like super injury prone when he signed I think like for exemple horton was

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So , Winnipeg has signed Laine , so Connor is still unsigned , and Rantanen, but no worries they will be signed just like every other player this summer . I remember hearing what a great asset it was having all this cap space , and there were all these teams in cap hell. They all made it work without really losing anyone . Jarmo lucked out with a Bowman being a complete and utter idiot with the Panarin situation , unfortunately for us , there appears to be no other Bowmans in the NHL

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This was hardly a Jarmo problem...not laying this at his feet.

Many of the veterans around the league were getting too much term around the time Dubi signed his deal. Its a product of the CBA setting ELC @ 3 years, RFA @ 6 years, UFA @ 7 years and 7-8 year max deals. Do the math...means many players are getting a last longterm deal that expires after the player does.

IMO this is where the monumental shift is happening in hockey right now. The league is getting younger. I heard someone recently say that for the first time in the history of the NHL there are more players in the league under 25 than over 25. RFAs are negotiating for contracts that get them to UFA @ 26-28 rather than 28-29. Hopefully that means players should be getting their big contract expiring between 32-34 rather than 34+.

Reactions: thebus88 and EspenK

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Jarmo's failure to buy Dubinsky out will cost the team $3.9 million unless Dubinsky's contract is covered by insurance. Also assuming that the LTIR is done for the remainder of his deal.

Depending on what the insurance coverage is, it might end up saving the owners' money compared to the buyout.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
So , Winnipeg has signed Laine , so Connor is still unsigned , and Rantanen, but no worries they will be signed just like every other player this summer . I remember hearing what a great asset it was having all this cap space , and there were all these teams in cap hell. They all made it work without really losing anyone . Jarmo lucked out with a Bowman being a complete and utter idiot with the Panarin situation , unfortunately for us , there appears to be no other Bowmans in the NHL

Carolina traded for Marleau and a 1st and bought him out, so they paid I think almost 4 million for a pick in the 20s...I'm pretty sure I read that Jarmo said he'd never do that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

And that ladies and gentlemen is why you just throw everything on net. Even a terrible, underpowered one timer can find it's way to the back of the net.

It's being in the right place on the ice to make the play. In Sweden, Wennberg had like 16 goals and 5 assists for Frölunda (SHL) - it wasn't like he was scoring amazing goals. He was in the right place to get rebounds and stick pucks in rather than passing.

Last season he wasn'tgetting into position to make those types of plays. But he's also should be playing a more skilled game than just trying to battle in front of the net and his shooting needs to improve. But I do wonder if he's still having issues with proprioception or his vestibular system follow the concussion.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's being in the right place on the ice to make the play. In Sweden, Wennberg had like 16 goals and 5 assists for Frölunda (SHL) - it wasn't like he was scoring amazing goals. He was in the right place to get rebounds and stick pucks in rather than passing.

Last season he wasn'tgetting into position to make those types of plays. But he's also should be playing a more skilled game than just trying to battle in front of the net and his shooting needs to improve. But I do wonder if he's still having issues with proprioception or his vestibular system follow the concussion.
I've thought that too, but I would also add that I feel like he's had a confidence problem as well. When he plays with confidence and he's aggressive he's a completely different player.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If we survive this season I can handle being one of a very small number of teams who could actually afford to sign Taylor Hall.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So , last nights game showed why Bemstrom was a lock to make the team , and why Torts future with the Cbj probably hinges on him needing to have a very successful year . The Powerplay . I mean we had 2 , 5 on 3 man advantages , and a few other power plays , having a player that can just flat snipe can turn a dismal powerplay , into a very effective one . I still have no clue , and can’t understand why the media hasn’t asked Torts how he could possibly go into this season with the exact same staff that has had 0 answers on the powerplay , and had to bring in a retired player to retool the powerplay . Maybe they feel Bemstrom will make the powerplay great ? But that’s a lot of pressure to put on the rookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad