2019 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Dubi all a sudden hurt :D. Lots of press box for Dubi this year . Bem, Tex and Milano were making team regardless . Hopefully Lilja takes advantage of the opportunity

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who, specifically, are people suggesting Werenski be traded for? I'm not saying he should be absolutely immovable, but none of the guys rumoured to be on the trade block right now seem to be worth the price (thinking both on-ice and reputation-wise).

I think people are suggesting he be moved for a player who's not likely currently on the block. I mean, ZW's not exactly being shopped, so...

But I'm answering for people, so maybe someone can provide a better answer. I don't think I'd trade ZW for anyone likely to be acquirable in return.

Yeah pretty much. It's an abstract suggestion for now. The return would have to be someone a full step up from Kyle Connor value-wise. (Laine does not qualify).

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Someone somewhere put Dubinsky's name in the same sentence as "LTIR". Cannot imagine his career ending this way. Is the chronic wrist injury considered that serious?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Athletic did an anonymous ranking of all 31 starting goalies in the NHL. Korpisalo got tied for 28th, here's what it said.

Joonas Korpisalo is tied with Anderson but he’s a goalie who is headed in a different direction. He got lower ratings because he’s never been a full-time starter, but there were plenty of panelists who believe he’s on the rise. He was getting three and four ratings but they usually came with a caveat.

“The one thing about Columbus is they play great D. It’s going to make a goalie look good,” said a head coach. “You can’t play great as a goalie if you don’t play great defense. Columbus has a good team defense and a great D corps.”

“I’d have an up arrow next to him,” said a GM of Korpisalo.

“I like this guy a lot but I haven’t seen enough of him, but I think he could turn out to be pretty good,” said another GM. “I like him, I like him a lot. I think they’re going to be OK with him.”

2019-20 Goalie Tiers: Anonymous panel of GMs and coaches...

paywall ^

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Someone somewhere put Dubinsky's name in the same sentence as "LTIR". Cannot imagine his career ending this way. Is the chronic wrist injury considered that serious?
I think it's more just wishful thinking. At least it is for me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Blue Jackets center Brandon Dubinsky, who already was in a fight to keep his spot in the lineup, will be out indefinitely because of a nagging left wrist injury, the club announced Wednesday.

Dubinsky, who had offseason wrist ligament surgery in 2017, is sure to miss at least the start of the 2019-20 season, Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said.
But he could be out far longer.

“Based on what the doctors are telling us, with the trauma to the wrist, this has the potential to be a long-term injury,” said Dubinsky’s agent, Kurt Overhardt.
It’s unclear whether more surgery will be needed, or whether Dubinsky’s wrist could improve with rest and rehabilitation. He is expected to remain with the club in Columbus while he rehabs.

“This has been bugging him for a long, long time,” Kekalainen said. “It bugged him before the operation, and it bugged him after the operation. It’s been a nagging injury that’s been bugging him for years now.

“When you have a sore wrist, it’s tough (to play) hockey.”

Blue Jackets say Brandon Dubinsky out indefinitely with a...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Athletic did an anonymous ranking of all 31 starting goalies in the NHL. Korpisalo got tied for 28th, here's what it said.

2019-20 Goalie Tiers: Anonymous panel of GMs and coaches...

paywall ^

Our "team defense" actually isn't very good. All the shot metrics and analytics show we don't play that well on D, leaving goalies vulnerable to high shot shares, and a good amount of the "high danger" variety.

mod edit: extract reply from quote

Last edited by a moderator:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Is this your comment? "Our "team defense" actually isn't very good. All the shot metrics and analytics show we don't play that well on D, leaving goalies vulnerable to high shot shares, and a good amount of the "high danger" variety."

I agree, at least for the last year. I think it can turn around in a hurry though. The personnel to do much better is there. A lot can be gained from abandoning "safe is death" - specifically the absurd number of odd-man rushes the Jackets gave up.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bobrovsky is/was "good" moving side to side and shots in close and without much traffic and/or on the rush, however, he's f***in terrible with shots from the point with traffic/a screen or having to move side to side during/after looking through bodies/a screen in front of him.

Could this possibly affect the heat maps and perceptions of those who take those "analytics" and "advanced knowledge" into account more than the actual situational hockey games??

Imo, yes, IMO.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
That's kinda ****ed up.
I am always going to associate Dubinsky with the turning point in the locker room culture and fortunes of the CBJ. Before Dubi, players simply seemed happy to collect a paycheck and if they could win games that was a bonus. Dubi came in...a guy who HATES LOSING and was willing to do anything it took to win...and started the turnaround.

Is he worth what he is making...of course not. But without Dubi I am not convinced the CBJ are as successful over the last five years as they have been. Oh...and that playoff series vs Pittsburgh and Crosby. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

If this is the end, I am sad. He's been an outstanding CBJ and I will miss him. I hope he gets to go out on his own terms and not some stupid wrist injury.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That's kinda ****ed up.

I am always going to associate Dubinsky with the turning point in the locker room culture and fortunes of the CBJ. Before Dubi, players simply seemed happy to collect a paycheck and if they could win games that was a bonus. Dubi came in...a guy who HATES LOSING and was willing to do anything it took to win...and started the turnaround.

Is he worth what he is making...of course not. But without Dubi I am not convinced the CBJ are as successful over the last five years as they have been. Oh...and that playoff series vs Pittsburgh and Crosby. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

If this is the end, I am sad. He's been an outstanding CBJ and I will miss him. I hope he gets to go out on his own terms and not some stupid wrist injury.

Is it f***ed up? Yeah it is. But it's the truth of hockey and his style of play. He's been dealing with injuries the last few seasons. I appreciate what has brought to the organization and he and Foligno have helped shaped the club into what we see today.

But him going on LTIR and riding that until his contract is up is what's best for the club. It frees up a roster spot for the kids and prevents us from having to buy out his contract and possibly even let's us go over the cap if a massive deal comes our way.

Reactions: CPTN71

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I'm starting work on my contract chart (will add depth chart eventually). Two questions:

Do you think it's better to include players under Columbus until formally sent down or go with a projected roster that includes Dano and Peeke in Cleveland?

If I wish to post a link to it here, what would be the appropriate thread?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
no one waived today ? felt like dano was done for yesterday. I think its between lilja bem and milano

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Agree with this.

Vinny “scoreboard” Prospal is another guy who comes to mind who helped turn the culture corner.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
From Friday's Columbus Dispatch {Ohio's Greatest Home Newspaper}
COMMENTARY

Jackets’ season may rest on goalie duo

By Michael Arace

[sarcasm] All props to Michael Arace for his hard hitting investigative work. He has adroitly discovered and unlocked the key to the Blue Jackets upcoming season. [/sarcasm]

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jarmo's failure to buy Dubinsky out will cost the team $3.9 million unless Dubinsky's contract is covered by insurance. Also assuming that the LTIR is done for the remainder of his deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad