2019 Trade Deadline Feb 25

Would you move the 2019 1st round pick for scoring help?

• Yes

• No

• Only for a player with term left

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I’m fine with it. Gaudreau, Monahan, lindholm, Bennett, tkachuk, Hanifin, Anderson, valimaki, kylington, Janko, these guys are only going to get better. Hell, I’m becoming impressed with czarnik, and dube will be on the club sooner than later. Our young core is intact and we are 2nd in the league. If we don’t go deep this year, I’m not going to be happy, but I won’t be irate either. We haven’t peaked imo, and that’s very exciting given where a lot of players are in regards to development.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm happy we didn't make a serious move.

You need to see how this team does in the playoffs before making any significant moves. We've had an amazing year, but this is also the first year as "contenders". We need to evaluate how deep this team can get with the squad that we have now. If we are bumped in the first or second round of the playoffs, then I will definitely expect a big move in the draft, especially if a top name goalie is made available.

Reactions: SKRusty

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’m so glad Kylington is still a Flame. I feel like we would have really regretted trading him. I would have for Stone, but no one else.
I wouldn’t get too attached to him. I think if the deadline showed us anything, it’s the pecking order of the young defensemen. I think the almost inevitable loss of Frolik and our playoffs will support Treliving’s desire to add a top 6 upgrade. Unless something changes dramatically, Kylington and the 1st, will still be our most valuable, expendable trade chips.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, sounds like Bt was more than happy to move our first and someone like Kylington.

Who knows what’ll happen at the draft this year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn’t get too attached to him. I think if the deadline showed us anything, it’s the pecking order of the young defensemen. I think the almost inevitable loss of Frolik and our playoffs will support Treliving’s desire to add a top 6 upgrade. Unless something changes dramatically, Kylington and the 1st, will still be our most valuable, expendable trade chips.

If Treliving and the Flames didn’t value Kylington, he would have been dealt for either Stone, Hayes, Simmonds or Zucker today. Keeping young top end talent like that will only extend the Flames window to win and that’s why Treliving did not move him. Personally I would have only moved Kylington for Stone and by the sounds of things, the Flames felt the same.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'm choked that the Flames missed out on Zuccarello. He would have been a perfect fit, and even would have been perfect if they would have picked him up from Dallas after the injury.

I'm also a little choked that Stone is in division. Hopefully the Flames can win the div and avoid Vegas in the first round, but he'll be a thorn for years.

I'm excited to see how Hayes does in Winnipeg. I doubt they can afford to extend him and I think he'd be a great FA target for Calgary in the summer. Use the assets that you didn't use today to convince someone to take Neal then go back and give Hayes a 6.25x7 or something if he looks like he'll deserve it. Bridge Tkachuk @ 6.66 and take another good shot in 2020.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If Treliving and the Flames didn’t value Kylington, he would have been dealt for either Stone, Hayes, Simmonds or Zucker today. Keeping young top end talent like that will only extend the Flames window to win and that’s why Treliving did not move him. Personally I would have only moved Kylington for Stone and by the sounds of things, the Flames felt the same.
100%, you don’t move a kid like Kylington for a rental. I think we’ll package him and the 1st for a young, cheap, cost controlled player. Suzuki comes to mind but actual NHL time would definitely be preferred

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Has anyone actually had a look at the Knights cap situation. I didn’t both to do the math but at first glance, it appears there’s going to have to be some big changes, in order to fit in all their extensions.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
100%, you don’t move a kid like Kylington for a rental. I think we’ll package him and the 1st for a young, cheap, cost controlled player. Suzuki comes to mind but actually NHL time would definitely be preferred

I would be fine if they moved him for a like forward. But I think they need to be patient with him and let his value become what it can be.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I would be fine if they moved him for a like forward. But I think they need to be patient with him and let his value become what it can be.

Remember how I was bashed in this thread for suggesting Kylington for A. Nylander was a good trade for both teams?

Proposal: - Buffalo - Calgary Prospect Swap

Yeah, Not only were they all wrong about Kylington, I was wrong about Nylander too. Everyone in the thread was wrong.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I’m gonna be real with you guys. I’ve been at work all day and confused Brannstrom with Liljegren and thought Stone was going to Toronto. The fact that he’s going to a divisional rival makes today about a million times more frustrating. Lol

Reactions: Corpus X

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
I didn't mind the Flames hardly doing anything today at the deadline. Let's see how this group will do in the playoffs. They are young and need the experience. Looks like Treliving trusts this group heading into the playoffs. I'm excited to see what they can do in the playoffs.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
To me the key point is it looks like Treliving did try to do something - Zucker - but it fell through. Would of been looking at Zucker-Backlund-Lindholm as the 2nd line. An upgrade likely but Frolik is still a good player. The 2019 1st will be useful come June so glad we still have it. Plus Kylington and Brodie are strong assets along with that 1st to upgrade the top 6 if needed.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I don’t mind staying out of things. I guess I would have preferred to add someone, but the prices were high (whether it be acquisition or Stone’s extension).

I still like how we match up in the Pacific, we were a better team than Vegas, and Stone certainly narrows that gap (or closes it completely) but it’s still winnable. San Jose is having issues in net, so that makes them beatable too. Overall, I’m most scared of Nashville in the West.

Hopefully we can take advantage of a weak remaining schedule to hold off SJ and let them and Vegas beat each other up in round 1.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Has anyone actually had a look at the Knights cap situation. I didn’t both to do the math but at first glance, it appears there’s going to have to be some big changes, in order to fit in all their extensions.

With all their extensions in place they're at $82 mil with 6 spots to fill. The current cap is 79.5 and projected is around 81. They also still need to sign Karlsson.

Like I said in regards to Stone, we weren't re-signing him for $9.5 mil with Tkachuk still unsigned and needing to jet players out to make room for more cap space. So it would have had to be a rental and the Flames aren't giving up Vali (or Ollie) for a rental. Sure everyone in our division (and Winnipeg) upgraded with a player, but we're 2nd in the conference and have won 5 in a row without the top line. When Gaudreau and Co. get going again I am confident we'll have the firepower to go 1 on 1 with anyone in the West, especially with our depth guys starting to heat up. And I expect Neal to up his game for the playoffs.

Treliving's attitude of going for it for years to come is perfect with me, because all we really need to do is sign Tkachuk and we're good for the next 3-4 years (pending a goalie), meanwhile this is Winnipeg's last year pretty much before getting destroyed by the cap and San Jose is getting older.

Reactions: Janks

Khrox

May 31, 2018
This deadline has actually fallen in line with what BT has done every deadline since coming to Calgary. All his major moves have been Draft Day moves.
2015: Glencross to Washington for 2015 2nd round pick and 2015 3rd round pick. Baertschi to Vancouver for 2015 2nd round pick (We were sellers as a playoff team).
2016: Granlund to Vancouver for Shinkaruk. Hudler to Florida for 2016 2nd round pick and 2018 4th round pick. Russell to Dallas for Jokipakka, Pollock, 2016 2nd round pick. Jones to Minnesota for Backstrom and 2016 6th round pick.
2017: 2017 3rd round and 2018 5th round to Arizona for Michael Stone. Jokipakka and 2017 2nd round to Ottawa for Lazar and Kostka
2018: 2019 7th round pick to Ottawa for Nick Shore

Which brings us to this year:
2019: 2020 4th round pick (condition: possibly 3rd rounder, but not likely) to LA for Oscar Fantenberg

This trade is literally the type of trade Tre does in the week leading up to (and including) Trade Deadline. We either get a couple assets by selling relatively minor pieces, or we acquire depth pieces. This is all most of us should have expected (even if we were hopeful for more).

Reactions: Nanuuk and 1989

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This deadline has actually fallen in line with what BT has done every deadline since coming to Calgary. All his major moves have been Draft Day moves.
2015: Glencross to Washington for 2015 2nd round pick and 2015 3rd round pick. Baertschi to Vancouver for 2015 2nd round pick (We were sellers as a playoff team).
2016: Granlund to Vancouver for Shinkaruk. Hudler to Florida for 2016 2nd round pick and 2018 4th round pick. Russell to Dallas for Jokipakka, Pollock, 2016 2nd round pick. Jones to Minnesota for Backstrom and 2016 6th round pick.
2017: 2017 3rd round and 2018 5th round to Arizona for Michael Stone. Jokipakka and 2017 2nd round to Ottawa for Lazar and Kostka

2019: 2020 4th round pick (condition: possibly 3rd rounder, but not likely) to LA for Oscar Fantenberg

This trade is literally the type of trade Tre does in the week leading up to (and including) Trade Deadline. We either get a couple assets by selling relatively minor pieces, or we acquire depth pieces. This is all most of us should have expected (even if we were hopeful for more).
Yep. The rumors had me wanting more, but just a few weeks ago I was saying how I'd be happy with some depth moves (a depth LD and depth /gritty F), kind of disappointed we didn't add a Raffl type or whatnot, but it's not like we don't have guys like Quine, Dube, Lomberg, Graovac, Rychel, Peluso, Robinson... etc

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was disappointed at first, but the more I sit back and think about the TDL, the more I am ok with the end result.

Treliving geared up hardcore this past off season. There was just a ton of stuff this TDL that weren't necessary. It's kinda like getting really good deals on black Friday, then getting frustrated that the deals aren't good enough on boxing day.

Do the Flames perhaps fall in the Western Conference rankings for playoffs favourites? Sure. But where we are now was uncharted territory. Whether it's sustainable or not, we don't actually know. But it does seem like most teams blew their prospects and futures war chests this season. Next season, most contenders will play won't have a war chest that competes with the Flames to bolder their roster. Those with a war chest that can compete likely are doing retools/rebuilds and aren't playoff threats. I think the Flames are in for the long haul and have identified a realistic window they can compete in. With some many teams spending currency this TDL, I think this years playoffs will be extremely unpredictable results wise. Not a good year to throw assets away which can be better spent on true weaknesses in our roster that we better identify by the end of this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was disappointed at first, but the more I sit back and think about the TDL, the more I am ok with the end result.

Treliving geared up hardcore this past off season. There was just a ton of stuff this TDL that weren't necessary. It's kinda like getting really good deals on black Friday, then getting frustrated that the deals aren't good enough on boxing day.

Do the Flames perhaps fall in the Western Conference rankings for playoffs favourites? Sure. But where we are now was uncharted territory. Whether it's sustainable or not, we don't actually know. But it does seem like most teams blew their prospects and futures war chests this season. Next season, most contenders will play won't have a war chest that competes with the Flames to bolder their roster. Those with a war chest that can compete likely are doing retools/rebuilds and aren't playoff threats. I think the Flames are in for the long haul and have identified a realistic window they can compete in. With some many teams spending currency this TDL, I think this years playoffs will be extremely unpredictable results wise. Not a good year to throw assets away which can be better spent on true weaknesses in our roster that we better identify by the end of this year.
To add to this, by more or less standing pat, we aren't f***ing with the chemistry of this team.

Did the Jets get better on paper? Yes, on paper. However, someone is likely moving from center to wing to make room for Hayes. On top of Hayes they made like 4 or 5 other trades, that is alot of new blood in their dressing room.

Did the Predators get better? Yes, on paper. However, they are adding two guys to their top 6. That means two gets are going to see reduced ice-time and a bunch of guys are looking at new linemates as that trickles down the lineup.

Did the Sharks get better? A little, on paper. However, goal scoring hasn't been an issue for the Sharks. They did nothing to address their goaltending or defensive play.

Did the Golden Knights get better? Of course, on paper. However, Stone is leaving the only team he has ever known, a city he loves and long term this will be a great move for Vegas, but how long will it take for him to fit in?

Did the Flames get better? Not really. However, we don't have those additional outside factors. We are bringing in 1 lesser player into the room, a guy who knows 5 of our players from back home.

Whenever I get upset about the Flames not renting a big fish, I just think about two names. Brad Stuart and Olli Jokinen. Getting thatbig fish doesn't guarantee success.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
To add to this, by more or less standing pat, we aren't ****ing with the chemistry of this team.

Did the Jets get better on paper? Yes, on paper. However, someone is likely moving from center to wing to make room for Hayes. On top of Hayes they made like 4 or 5 other trades, that is alot of new blood in their dressing room.

Did the Predators get better? Yes, on paper. However, they are adding two guys to their top 6. That means two gets are going to see reduced ice-time and a bunch of guys are looking at new linemates as that trickles down the lineup.

Did the Sharks get better? A little, on paper. However, goal scoring hasn't been an issue for the Sharks. They did nothing to address their goaltending or defensive play.

Did the Golden Knights get better? Of course, on paper. However, Stone is leaving the only team he has ever known, a city he loves and long term this will be a great move for Vegas, but how long will it take for him to fit in?

Did the Flames get better? Not really. However, we don't have those additional outside factors. We are bringing in 1 lesser player into the room, a guy who knows 5 of our players from back home.

Whenever I get upset about the Flames not renting a big fish, I just think about two names. Brad Stuart and Olli Jokinen. Getting thatbig fish doesn't guarantee success.

I agree, this cannot be overlooked. Especially for Nashville and Winnipeg, that's a lot of incoming lineup changes. Not saying these teams all got crap players, they definitely landed talent. But team chemistry is vital at this time of year and I'd be more surprised by immediate success than some initial hiccups. When you look at the general trend over an entire NHL season, most teams get better, we the viewers see better hockey the further we go. I wouldn't discount essentially doing nothing at this time of year.

And again, young developing core, blah, blah, blah...I've said it enough already. Let's see how poor or great we do in the playoffs before making big decisions. This team is very inexperienced.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

I like this way of doing business as a GM. The people that likely benefit the most from this style of roster management is the players and coaches...and really, that's what matters the most.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
For me the big question is "are we tough enough"? We are a smallish team that is regularly out hit. In a play-off grind against the same team, will a larger team wear us down? We'll find out.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
For me the big question is "are we tough enough"? We are a smallish team that is regularly out hit. In a play-off grind against the same team, will a larger team wear us down? We'll find out.

We have good to great possession metrics most games. It’s really hard to outhit your opponent when you have the puck way more often than they do

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Recap:
San Jose added Nyquist and his 15G 49P
Winnipeg added Hayes and his 14G 42P
Nashville added Simmonds 16G 27P
Nashville added Grandlund 15G 49P
Nashville minus Fiala 10G 32P
Vegas added Stone 28G 62P

upload_2019-2-26_8-0-54.png

There was a great deal of negative press pointing towards Calgary not making any major moves so I thought I would put forth why this was not only the right move for this year but years to come. Above is a list sorted by goals for. As you can see other than San Jose, Calgary has a decided advantage over the conference leaders.

TeamGoal DiffAddAdjustedAdded Defense
Calgary
49​
049Negligible
San Jose
34​
1549Small Increase
Winnipeg
24​
1438Negligible
Nashville
24​
2145Negligible
Vegas
4​
2832Negligible
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Above to take things a step further I take these numbers a step further to goal differential and it shows Calgary and San Jose are in a relative dead heat when you adjust in Nyquist's totals. It looks close until you have to consider all the players added to these various teams must form chemistry to be impactful before the playoffs. Yesterday on TSN they stated that the chance a player makes an impact on a Stanley Cup run of a little over 1% so all these adjusted numbers are in a perfect scenario.

From my view Calgary likely has an edge over every team that made a splash yesterday despite staying pat.

upload_2019-2-26_7-59-52.png

The real difference comes looking forward. First I would like to note that these stats include the top 10 contributors from each team and the goals, points, average age and then I factored in for each player on a bell curve the likelihood each player would achieve a career year after this current year and created an average for the team(Chance Increase).

Conclusions that can be drawn from the chart above. Calgary has by far the largest opportunity moving forward with a 72 percent chance that the top 10 on the Flames will put up better numbers. San Jose is at a very precarious point in that 4 out of the 10 players, without Nyquist are UFA's next season and the lowest chance for an increase in production. Realistically speaking Calgary increased its odds of winning the Pacific for the foreseeable future as San Jose and Vegas both have older cores. Now remember the assets that both Vegas and San Jose just put out. San Jose's first pick this year is in round 3 and next year round 2. The Sharks will be hard pressed to be a shell of their former selves. Vegas on the other hand will be Calgary's main competition moving forward with 17 picks in the next 2 seasons.

The closest competition in the Central has is Winnipeg but with the likely declining talent of Byfuglien, Wheeler and the 4 (Trouba, Meyers, Chiorot, and Morrow) contracts to be negotiated or replaced on the blue line it may take Winnipeg's defensive advantage away.

Though Nashville's defensive core is still elite the same old problem is presented with poor forward depth.

In all likelihood Calgary's best years are in front of them and it was wisest to stick with this very good young team and continue to let the build their chemistry and skill levels while stockpiling prospects for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia