2019 Trade Deadline Feb 25

Would you move the 2019 1st round pick for scoring help?

• Yes

• No

• Only for a player with term left

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Listening to Treliving it sounds like they were trying to upgrade the forward group but didn't like the prices. Teams were really after Valimaki and Andersson, probably Kylington and Dube too. Personally happy those guys will continue to be part of the Flames, like all of them a lot. Keeping the 1st I guess makes sense, though I still would of liked Kevin Hayes in a Flames jersey. Don't see much in that latter half of the 1st round that I really like, hopefully somebody like Newhook or Leason drop.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
For at least (insert amount of years until they reach UFA) years
Everything that was said about Ottawa today was what was said about Calgary when Iggy was traded. Essentially the franchise is in jeopardy.

Dorion was not the architect of the current disaster. That is reserved for Melnyk and Bryan Murray (RIP).

I think Dorion and Melnyk learned greatly from last years implosion. How important team chemistry is. How important it is to deal with personal issues in the dressing room before they destroy the team. I have confidence Ottawa will follow a similar path Calgary did as both markets are about the same size and composition.

Melnyk I think has finally learned he is not god and that running rogue only hurts you reputation and threatens your financial future. Melnyk if he survives this will be much more behind the scenes and well behaved.

Best of luck to the Sens fans.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Everything that was said about Ottawa today was what was said about Calgary when Iggy was traded. Essentially the franchise is in jeopardy.

Dorion was not the architect of the current disaster. That is reserved for Melnyk and Bryan Murray (RIP).

I think Dorion and Melnyk learned greatly from last years implosion. How important team chemistry is. How important it is to deal with personal issues in the dressing room before they destroy the team. I have confidence Ottawa will follow a similar path Calgary did as both markets are about the same size and composition.

Melnyk I think has finally learned he is not god and that running rogue only hurts you reputation and threatens your financial future. Melnyk if he survives this will be much more behind the scenes and well behaved.

I don’t really blame any of the GMs, if the owner is pulling strings it’s on him. I imagine the team ends up getting sold to the group in Ottawa that is committed to build the new building on Lebreton Flats. That needs to happen to save the franchise imo

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Love Ottawa’s deadline. GMs tend to go for multiple mediocre assets rather than then one stud like Brannstrom. I see a lot of Giordano in Valimaki and think he is definitely on par with Brannstrom.

Also, good job by Treliving being patient. This was not the year to be aggressive. Not with our salary structure

Reactions: Janks and SKRusty

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lebrun just tweeted about the supposed deal that fell through between Calgary and Minnesota for Zucker. Maybe the Frolik + 1st rumor had legs ??? Either way I for one am glad it did not go down!
There is no way we were adding a first if that was the deal. Frolik is just as good if a player and Suckers contract is awful. If anyian was adding a first it should be them.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Columbus, Dallas and Vegas are no sure playoff teams. It would be funny if they miss the playoff after spending their future...at least Vegas has the priviledge of overpaying Stone for the next 8 yrs lol

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Zucker is a stud. He’s much like Lindholm in my view. Just does everything well and can move
One good year doesn't make Hima stud. He had a fluke season and got a terrible contact because of it. There is a reason the rumors were about the Wild "shopping him hard" rather than him being a target

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
One good year doesn't make Hima stud. He had a fluke season and got a terrible contact because of it. There is a reason the rumors were about the Wild "shopping him hard" rather than him being a target

I disagree. He’s an all around player that does everything much like a Lindholm type

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
IF all the rumors from the last 48 hours are true. Then BT tried hard to improve our forward group but got shafted multiple times.
Calgary thought they had a deal with Ottawa last night for Stone but it fell through in the morning. Then they thought they had a deal for Simmonds but he refused to waive his NTC to come to Calgary. Then we had a deal with Minny done. Rumored to involve Frolik for Zucker but Frolik wouldn’t waive his NTC for Minny.
Rough day for Calgary ..... 3 potential deals they thought they had done. All got screwed

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
IF all the rumors from the last 48 hours are true. Then BT tried hard to improve our forward group but got shafted multiple times.
Calgary thought they had a deal with Ottawa last night for Stone but it fell through in the morning. Then they thought they had a deal for Simmonds but he refused to waive his NTC to come to Calgary. Then we had a deal with Minny done. Rumored to involve Frolik for Zucker but Frolik wouldn’t waive his NTC for Minny.
Rough day for Calgary ..... 3 potential deals they thought they had done. All got screwed
Kind of flies in the face of what BT said today in that he was not willing to pay with multiple firsts Valimaki or Andersson... but yeah those rumors must be true.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So were we really prepared to pay Stone 9M+ if the rumor was true?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I don't recall once when Iggy was traded that people were wondering if Calgary would stay here, there was support from the ownership group, the fans and management in terms of a much needed rebuild.

Whoever the GM is in Ottawa, they will always be handcuffed in terms of what they can do while Eugene is the owner. The rumours of him giving pep talks to players during intermissions, and being involved in day-to-day is horrendous.

Big props to Dorion getting a huge prospect rather than lucky lotto balls. GM's should learn, get the huge prospect versus the first.

Reactions: Mr Snrub

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Kind of flies in the face of what BT said today in that he was not willing to pay with multiple firsts Valimaki or Andersson... but yeah those rumors must be true.

His comments to me definitely rang of someone putting on a brave face. Talks of drinking cold beer. Reminds me of another reference to wine he made when nothing was allegedly going on regarding another deal..

Reactions: Mobiandi

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ummm, our own organization confirmed we were very much in on Stone. The rumours around Zucker and Simmonds. The huge amount of smoke around the Rangers. Regardless of what Treliving said, it’s pretty obvious he was trying hard for an upgrade up front but fell short. I mean what was he going to say, “I tried hard to upgrade a couple of these guys but it didn’t work out, so I guess we’re stuck with them, till the end of the season, at least.”

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
His comments to me definitely rang of someone putting on a brave face. Talks of drinking cold beer. Reminds me of another reference to wine he made when nothing was allegedly going on regarding another deal..
That's the first thing I thought of too. Treliving always shares the bare minimum.

I have no doubt he was pushing hard for a deal and I'm 80% sure we trade our 1st at the draft yet again this summer

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Ummm, our own organization confirmed we were very much in on Stone. The rumours around Zucker and Simmonds. The huge amount of smoke around the Rangers. Regardless of what Treliving said, it’s pretty obvious he was trying hard for an upgrade up front but fell short. I mean what was he going to say, “I tried hard to upgrade a couple of these guys but it didn’t work out, so I guess we’re stuck with them, till the end of the season, at least.”
I have no doubt Calgary got to the point of trying to negotiate a contract and then heard Stone's ask.. There was no way Calgary could afford the contract with Chucky due in the summer. and thus the crashing halt to things.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

I wonder whether the earlier rumour @Mobiandi posted about Frolik being involved and nixing it was the reason

Im really curious as to what the price was.

I think Treliving was in the mix to the very end. His interview said that much on the Fan960. Im fine with him not wanting to part with Valimaki or Andersson. I would have been okay with the 1st or Dube moving personally. He stuck to his guns and didnt get involved in the insanity, dont mind that at all. This might not be the year to go all in. The goaltending is shaky and this team might need a year of playoff growing pains.

I like Stone as a player, but that 9.5mil contract is ugly. I dont see him being an offensive driver on his line, so in my mind hes not worth close to that money.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, it's pretty obvious Treliving and co. were trying very hard to get something done for a forward. And it's also clear he was more than willing to pay a decent price to do so, just not what the other teams demanded. He had prospects on the table, just not the ones other teams wanted. He had picks available but not multiple first rounders. He wanted access to talk contract but wasn't given permission (as far as we know).

There's a lot of lawyer-speak when Treliving talks in public. He covers his bases. He's smart enough to know that there's no value in getting people's hopes up and then not delivering. But he also, rarely, out right lies. He's also, at baseline, doesn't emotional about these things. Or at least tries to stay objective. He's not the type to get caught up in the success of this season and go all in. Nor is the type to get overly attached to all of his draft picks and other assets. He just goes down the middle.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I have no doubt Calgary got to the point of trying to negotiate a contract and then heard Stone's ask.. There was no way Calgary could afford the contract with Chucky due in the summer. and thus the crashing halt to things.
What the breaking point was, is irrelevant. The point is everything Treliving has told the media, leading up to deadline, was posturing. The 1st appears to be very much available and I’d say probably Kylington too. Personally, I’d be very surprised if we ever make that pick.

Reactions: Mr Snrub

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Yeah, it's pretty obvious Treliving and co. were trying very hard to get something done for a forward. And it's also clear he was more than willing to pay a decent price to do so, just not what the other teams demanded. He had prospects on the table, just not the ones other teams wanted. He had picks available but not multiple first rounders. He wanted access to talk contract but wasn't given permission (as far as we know).

There's a lot of lawyer-speak when Treliving talks in public. He covers his bases. He's smart enough to know that there's no value in getting people's hopes up and then not delivering. But he also, rarely, out right lies. He's also, at baseline, doesn't emotional about these things. Or at least tries to stay objective. He's not the type to get caught up in the success of this season and go all in. Nor is the type to get overly attached to all of his draft picks and other assets. He just goes down the middle.
I like how you write... You're clear and concise and you put thought into your posts. You're like the opposite of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad