GDT: 2019 Trade Deadline Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Simple Jack is Simple Jack, but he isn't wrong. Ship off all the waste who doesn't want to play for your club is probably a super happy feeling. Now only if he didn't burn up the blueprints for his time machine, he could head back and undo the Matt Duchene trade.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
When you're aggressive, you might win the Cup or you might not. It's a crapshoot once you make it to the dance.

When you're patient, you're not going to win the Cup. Instead, you're going to keep chasing moving goalposts until the years pile up with no wins.

The reason I think a lot of Avs fans are so risk averse is that we've seen the Avs make some terrible aggressive decisions on bad players to help the team win. So doing nothing is better than bringing in bad players. But I don't think it's too much to want them to just make proactive decisions to bring in good players. That should be the goal, and no amount of hoarded draft picks is going to make that better for me.

Prices were really low this year in a buyer's market. Holding onto the Avs' first round pick because the goalies decided to **** the bed for two months is just a really stubborn, frustrating move to me.
We've also seen them try to compete before actually providing our top end guys with proper support and depth. You make aggressive moves when you have a wealth if assets and 1-2 holes left. We aren't quite there imo.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People have to realize that the Sens weren’t going to trade Stone to us, barring a huge overpayment. The optics of potentially trading the 1st overall pick and Stone to the same team for a middling return would be devastating...even for a team like Ottawa.

Stone wasn't the only guy who would've helped us moving forward that was available. The pricetag for Hayes was perfectly affordable for us, and a guy like Zucker was being dangled...even if he didn't actually end up moving. Add either of those two, or hell both, and all of a sudden we've made a lot of progress with a futures' surplus still there for future moves.

Ultimately it's something that a strong summer can remedy, but even if Stone wasn't an option for us...which I'm not so sure of...there were upgrades available for prices that were well within our budget.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Probably best part of today is that we now know the Minnesota GM is a moron and we don't have to worry about them for a while. Bad news is our guy isn't much better but at least he ain't making bad trades.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
sens-uber-video.jpg

Who is in this picture and who is left after the deadline?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Biggest losers in all of this is the action that Oilers did. Absolutely nothing, of course Sens are losers, but at least they got some assets for their players.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
We've also seen them try to compete before actually providing our top end guys with proper support and depth. You make aggressive moves when you have a wealth if assets and 1-2 holes left. We aren't quite there imo.

The point I'm trying to make is that they have to be somewhat aggressive in providing our top end guys with support and depth, otherwise they're going to run out of time and cap space to do that. Once MacKinnon's contract is up, he'll either command a salary that will force some lean years or he'll move on in free agency to a team that will spend to win him a Cup. Either way, the window's over.

It would be one thing if we were swimming in recently homegrown gems that can help provide that support for MacKinnon, Landeskog and Rantanen, but that just isn't the case because the drafting and development was ass for so many years. So the only ways to fill those holes is with trades and free agency. When you can't subtract from an already deficient roster, you have to spend futures. I'd rather spend those futures this way than draft players that won't make a difference in prolonging the Cup window, given recent prospect history.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just saw the Stone deal and trade...damn. Well, that's why you never count on players waiting to make UFA, and never base plans on them -- which happens too frequently around this board. Aggressive GMs go out and get things done. Not saying the Avs could have realistically been in on that deal whatsoever, but just pointing that out.

When Vegas moves into our division after Seattle joins the Pacific we now get to play him for the next 8 years.

I believe Arizona is moving over, not Vegas.

They've put him on the roster... It's 18 ****

"
Maybe all of these examples are purely coincidence. Maybe though, the reasoning behind the misfortune is much more sinister. After all, if broken down, the numerals of the “number of the beast” (666) do add up to 18.
That’s not all, either; 12th century teacher Theobald of Langres, who was infamous for his work in the field of numerical symbolism, said the number 18 symbolizes those who do not want to receive the name of Jesus, or those who did receive it, but did not persevere. Religious or not, this cannot be a good omen."

The curiously cursed history of the No. 18 for the Colorado Avalanche | Mile High Sports

If anyone cares to read up on our hx with #18.

If it will take #18 off the guy it's currently assigned to, I'm all for it.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The point I'm trying to make is that they have to be somewhat aggressive in providing our top end guys with support and depth, otherwise they're going to run out of time and cap space to do that. Once MacKinnon's contract is up, he'll either command a salary that will force some lean years or he'll move on in free agency to a team that will spend to win him a Cup. Either way, the window's over.

It would be one thing if we were swimming in recently homegrown gems that can help provide that support for MacKinnon, Landeskog and Rantanen, but that just isn't the case because the drafting and development was ass for so many years. So the only ways to fill those holes is with trades and free agency. When you can't subtract from an already deficient roster, you have to spend futures. I'd rather spend those futures this way than draft players that won't make a difference in prolonging the Cup window, given recent prospect history.
I guess it depends on whether or scouting staff has improved. And I agree that there's a point where aggression is the right play but I have always felt it is Sakic's plan to make his moves in the summer when their likely is more roster flexibility around the league aswelll as draft/FA which could solve alot of problems without risk. We'll see how he plays it though. As of now I'm optimistic but if he doesn't make a positive move for the ssecond line this summer the doubt will creep in.

Reactions: hooverdam and cgf

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
So the only ways to fill those holes is with trades and free agency. When you can't subtract from an already deficient roster, you have to spend futures. I'd rather spend those futures this way than draft players that won't make a difference in prolonging the Cup window, given recent prospect history.

The problem is that we're never in it for top free agents or available players. Pacioretty, Skinner, Stastny, Stone, Karlsson, Tavares, Hoffman, Hamilton, Domi, Strome, etc....these higher-end support players or stars are guys that we aren't even remotely linked to. We're generally getting consolations like Brassard or Cole. Whether that's because we aren't a good enough destination anymore or Sakic is unable to pursue these guys, I'm not sure but either way, we're an afterthought.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
And as far as "assets" go, it might be another 3-4 years before they have that organizational depth.

Currently every top prospect is basically being counted on as an integral part of getting them to the place where they can acquire the assets necessary facilitate bigger moves.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Coyle + Nino + Granlund for Donato + Rask + Fiala

Man that's devastating.

Hopefully the hockey gods punish Minny for trading all those players during a playoff run, the same way they punished the Blues for trading Stastny.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The problem is that we're never in it for top free agents or available players. Pacioretty, Skinner, Stastny, Stone, Karlsson, Tavares, Hoffman, Hamilton, Domi, Strome, etc....these higher-end support players or stars are guys that we aren't even remotely linked to. We're generally getting consolations like Brassard or Cole. Whether that's because we aren't a good enough destination anymore or Sakic is unable to pursue these guys, I'm not sure but either way, we're an afterthought.

Yeah I don't see free agency as a realistic route for this team for various reasons, but it's somewhat of a self-inflicted wound and a catch-22. They can't lure free agents without proving they can win, but they won't win without the kind of help free agents would provide. So, trades.

I'm not saying to empty the cupboard. Honestly, the Grubauer trade was a really good example of the type of move I mean: Sakic used multiple assets (from picks and cap space) as currency to fill a need on his roster. Has it worked out exactly the way he probably wanted it to? No, not yet, but at least he did something and acted.

That's exactly the kind of move he needs to be repeating with secondary scoring, just with a wider pool of available assets. Hoarding first round picks to spend on the Kauts and Josts of the world isn't going to get us to the promised land, and I'm saying that as someone who really likes Kaut and Jost and hopes that they'll be good NHL players someday. You need a Kessel or two to get the most out of young players like that instead of just hoping they'll figure it out with waiver pickups and Blue Jackets castoffs.

Reactions: cgf

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I don't disagree with the assessment, it's more crucial to avoid mortgaging the future.

AVs are unlikely to ever get EK, Stone, Skinner, Tavares or Panarin to sign long-term. So there is no point to spend the future for rental depth. Sakic has a plan to build through trades, drafting and possibly B-Level UFAs. Continuing to build from within might take more time, but the sensible approach.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We're already onto Skinner, Hayes, W. Karlsson, Nyquist, Ferland, etc for free agency forwards. My top two targets would've been Stone and Silfverberg. Stone for obvious reasons and Silfverberg because of fit and him being much cheaper than some of the others.

Reactions: S E P H

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
We're already onto Skinner, Hayes, W. Karlsson, Nyquist, Ferland, etc for free agency forwards. My top two targets would've been Stone and Silfverberg. Stone for obvious reasons and Silfverberg because of fit and him being much cheaper than some of the others.
It will be slim picking in free agency as it has been in recent years, in this NHL you have to be aggressive when the time is right, I hope Joe is soon.

Reactions: cgf and Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad