GDT: 2019 Trade Deadline Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Reading through this thread makes me laugh how many armchair GMs there are.

No we could not have matched the deal Vegas gave Ottawa. Not only that we couldn't have offered Stone the same deal and had him sign it. With Nevada tax law, he nets more than he would in Colorado on the same deal.

The equivalent deal for Stone would have been Makar, (no Kaut is not equal to Brannstrom or even that close, neither is Timmins), Calvert, 2nd.

While Calvert and 2nd pick were tradable assets, Makar was not and shouldn't have even been discussed. We've never had a defensive prospect as good as him. I don't care what return was available, Makar is a non starter. And Ott 1st is also a non-starter end of discussion.

It's very clear that Ottawa wanted that top prospect more than anything. They probably don't even make the deal without that top prospect. The only way they'd have dealt with us was going to either be Makar or their 1st back, and to me that just isn't even a remote conversation.

As for Hayes, yeah it was closer to obtainable. But NYR got a 1st rd pick. We didn't have the luxury of trading a 1st, because ours isn't going to be most likely bottom 4 of the first round. Maybe we could have offered our 2nd and a better player/prospect. But who knows if they go for that, seemingly they were more concerned about the 1st round pick than the player coming back. The way to look at this though is WPG really can't sign him. He'll hit UFA, and if we really want him we can look at him for free and not give up any assets if we decide we want to go after him.

I know people are disappointed about not getting Stone, I'm slightly disappointed as well. But at the end of the day so are fans of the other 30 teams around the league. He can only play for one team, Vegas was desperate enough to cough up their top prospect and then turn around and give him a huge deal that will look very average near the end of it. He is a very good player. But he wasn't worth Makar or Hughes/Kakko/whoever we draft top 4 who are all cost controlled for a much longer time. Plus by not adding a 10M contract, we still have tons of flexibility and now it's on Sakic to get us a winning team.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
"We know we've got a lot of good veterans."

Who the hell is he talking about? Haha. Bobby Ryan? And Anderson?

We are lucky to have their pick and I feel bad for the guy, because he has to say so much **** because of Melnyk.

Reactions: RareDangles

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
"We know we've got a lot of good veterans."

Who the hell is he talking about? Haha. Bobby Ryan? And Anderson?

We are lucky to have their pick and I feel bad for the guy, because he has to say so much **** because of Melnyk.

Ottawa might have the best FO, scouts & dev team in the NHL; given what they've accomplished with the limitations Melnyk puts on their ability to ice a competent team.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I know people are disappointed about not getting Stone, I'm slightly disappointed as well. But at the end of the day so are fans of the other 30 teams around the league. He can only play for one team, Vegas was desperate enough to cough up their top prospect and then turn around and give him a huge deal that will look very average near the end of it. He is a very good player. But he wasn't worth Makar or Hughes/Kakko/whoever we draft top 4 who are all cost controlled for a much longer time. Plus by not adding a 10M contract, we still have tons of flexibility and now it's on Sakic to get us a winning team.

I think people are more disappointed that he up and signed the instant he was traded, negating any chance of making an offer on July 1st.

I also think we are now realizing that we aren't going to be getting anyone through UFA anytime soon. We just don't have the advantages. Sakic is never going to over pay for someone like that, and Colorado is never going to be an attractive destination as long as other teams can offer the benefit of no income tax.

It's either draft or trade.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Pretty good player too and only 26 years old. I can't see Vegas letting him get away though unless they hit the jackpot and add the other Karlsson in free agency.

I’m leaning towards Hayes & Ferland. :dunno: At least W Karlsson would be a former Jacket who fits with the core age wise, & has productive years ahead of him.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Ottawa might have the best FO, scouts & dev team in the NHL; given what they've accomplished with the limitations Melnyk puts on their ability to ice a competent team.
Best scouts, sure. And a good dev team. They wouldn’t be sitting dead last in the NHL without their 1st round pick if their FO was decent.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think people are more disappointed that he up and signed the instant he was traded, negating any chance of making an offer on July 1st.

I also think we are now realizing that we aren't going to be getting anyone through UFA anytime soon. We just don't have the advantages. Sakic is never going to over pay for someone like that, and Colorado is never going to be an attractive destination as long as other teams can offer the benefit of no income tax.

We won't get the top UFAs for sure, for the reasons you stated but a guy like Hayes is realistic.

But you also nailed the biggest thing, and that is Sakic is going to have to put his nuts on the table and make some trades. Hockey trades as he likes to call them.

To make it team better we're going to have to be extremely good at finding the right parts via trade. It's the only way a market like Denver can compete.

Reactions: AvsWraith

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Best scouts, sure. And a good dev team. They wouldn’t be sitting dead last in the NHL without their 1st round pick if their FO was decent.

This is one year. That they've made the playoffs as often as they have with the moves that Melnyk forces them to make for financial reasons is a miracle. They should be this bad every year given the limitations he puts on them.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
This is one year. That they've made the playoffs as often as they have with the moves that Melnyk forces them to make for financial reasons is a miracle. They should be this bad every year given the limitations he puts on them.
I think a lot of that is due to their brilliant scouting and good development programs. Their FO as a whole, though, isn't very good, in my opinion. Dorion should be a head scout instead of a GM since he hasn't made a really good trade in his tenure yet. They hired Guy Boucher to be head coach, a guy who shouldn't be coaching a NHL team in this day and age. There are too many FO blunders for me to agree with you there.

All that being said, I'm all for giving them their due when it comes to scouting and developing because I'm jealous as hell as their org on that front, but I can't agree about their general FO. I certainly wouldn't trade Sakic for Dorion, but I would love for Dorion to come work for the Avs to replace Hepple.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

There's still plenty of good options in Free Agency this summer that the Avs could go hard after. Panarin, Ferland, Hayes, Skinner, Eberle, Nyquist, Johansson, Zuccarello, Simmonds, etc.

Panarin is certainly a pipe dream with less then 1% chance of happening, but Ferland, Hayes, and Skinner could definitely be targets. So could Eberle who we've been linked to before although I'd probably prefer to stay away from that one.

Not all guys go to the tax free places. And it's silly to say Sakic wont overpay for a guy when he did just that for Cole last summer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think a lot of that is due to their brilliant scouting and good development programs. Their FO as a whole, though, isn't very good, in my opinion. Dorion should be a head scout instead of a GM since he hasn't made a really good trade in his tenure yet. They hired Guy Boucher to be head coach, a guy who shouldn't be coaching a NHL team in this day and age. There are too many FO blunders for me to agree with you there.

All that being said, I'm all for giving them their due when it comes to scouting and developing because I'm jealous as hell as their org on that front, but I can't agree about their general FO. I certainly wouldn't trade Sakic for Dorion, but I would love for Dorion to come work for the Avs to replace Hepple.

I dunno what to say about Boucher but a lot of their "bad trades" are from orders that come down from above...often for financial reasons. So I can't blame him for the Duchene trade or the Zibanejad trade as both of those were Melnyk specials. I don't remember the specifics of the Phaneuf trades, but I would suspect that the allocation of real dollars was at play there as well.

I was being hyperbolic, but they make a lot of good moves when Melnyk isn't sending orders down beyond just their scouting & development.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
There's still plenty of good options in Free Agency this summer that the Avs could go hard after. Panarin, Ferland, Hayes, Skinner, Eberle, Nyquist, Johansson, Zuccarello, Simmonds, etc.

Panarin is certainly a pipe dream with less then 1% chance of happening, but Ferland, Hayes, and Skinner could definitely be targets. So could Eberle who we've been linked to before although I'd probably prefer to stay away from that one.

Not all guys go to the tax free places. And it's silly to say Sakic wont overpay for a guy when he did just that for Cole last summer.

It could happen, but my bet would on him giving the old "We're gonna trust that our young guys will step up" schtick.

Yeah, he had to over pay to get Cole... Ugh.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I dunno what to say about Boucher but a lot of their "bad trades" are from orders that come down from above...often for financial reasons. So I can't blame him for the Duchene trade or the Zibanejad trade as both of those were Melnyk specials. I don't remember the specifics of the Phaneuf trades, but I would suspect that the allocation of real dollars was at play there as well.

I was being hyperbolic, but they make a lot of good moves when Melnyk isn't sending orders down beyond just their scouting & development.
True that. Melnyk is a gigantic crap stain on a rather smart and talented hockey group, that's for sure. I think something similar happened with Turris, which is why he was ultimately included as part of the Duchene deal, which led to us getting the haul we did. The sooner EM is gone, the sooner that franchise will be back on the right tracks.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

We better not f***ing go after Eberle. I'd rather extend Brassard tomorrow morning than go after Eberle this summer.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Man Dorion is in full PR spin mode. He's so out of touch too. Says he doesn't think there's a disconnect between fans and management/ownership because he's only had one person yell at him in public. :laugh:
What was he supposed to say exactly? Be miserable and cry that all his good players decided to leave? Dude is a scout, it's understandable that he's optimistic about pics and prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad