GDT: 2019 Trade Deadline Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
@S E P H

I don’t think AJ missed much though? I mean they called the Grubi trade and brought up some stuff that the Avs were interested in Stone and Skinner but never definitively called something wrong from what I can remember. Seemed like he was pretty spot on with most of his stuff from what I remember?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
@S E P H Brannstrom seems to have higher upside than Jost and a concussed Timmins, he's practically PPG as a defenseman in the AHL. Avs would have had to give up Makar.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Apparently, Kevin Weekes said that the Avs told him they were prepared to not make any moves unless someone called with a great deal.

It’s not only the Sens who give teams discounts to save on airfare.

I like this because it gives me hope they settled for Brassard rather than targeted him and hopefully won’t re-sign him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Brannstrom isn't VGK's best prospect, Glass is. This trade equivalent would be us giving up either Jost or Timmins (without the concussion issues), AJ Greer (better potential than Lindberg), and a 2nd in 2020 for effin' Stone. Avs dropped the ball here, but so did 90% of the league. Glad he went to VGK though and not to someone like the Flames, Jets, or Preds who have a much better foundation.

Brannstrom is a clear better prospect than Timmins though. Especially with Timmins concussion. Same with Jost given his start in the NHL. Sens might even value him more than Girard.

Avs don't have a comparable offer to make. They'd have to talk them into doing Avs 1st+Girard+Kaut. Maybe Avs 1st+Timmins+Kaut but I think the Sens take the Brannstrom deal over both. They want that high end D prospect.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@S E P H

I don’t think AJ missed much though? I mean they called the Grubi trade and brought up some stuff that the Avs were interested in Stone and Skinner but never definitively called something wrong from what I can remember. Seemed like he was pretty spot on with most of his stuff from what I remember?
I didn't remember him (AJ) calling the Grubs trade? If he did I will absolutely retract that statement or was it Dater because that would make more sense considering his history.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Outside of Stone signing, very happy with how today turned out for many reasons:

1. Get an upgrade for the top 9 for a playoff push without selling off the future (save this in a few years).

2. I see us fighting with Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota for the two last wildcards. Minnesota goes without saying are a much worse team now than before their 3 trades. I see them phasing out hopefully, but who knows. One less team to be bothered with. Dallas and Chicago essentially did nothing however Crawford is coming back.

3. Ottawa successfully sold off their top 3 forwards for futures, that team is looking rough on paper. Other tanking teams didn't dismantle their team as much as Ottawa has over the last week.

Hopefully Brassard gives the team a little momentum heading into the final 20. Now would be get good time to get a streak going and some confidence back.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Brannstrom isn't VGK's best prospect, Glass is. This trade equivalent would be us giving up either Jost or Timmins (without the concussion issues), AJ Greer (better potential than Lindberg), and a 2nd in 2020 for effin' Stone. Avs dropped the ball here, but so did 90% of the league.

And what if Stone didn't want to sign an extension here.

Is Jost/Timmins, Greer and a 2nd worth 15 games of Stone?

Answer: Nope

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Brannstrom is a clear better prospect than Timmins though. Especially with Timmins concussion. Sens might even value him more than Girard.

Avs don't have a comparable offer to make. They'd have to talk them into doing Avs 1st+Girard+Kaut. Maybe Avs 1st+Timmins+Kaut but I think the Sens take the Brannstrom deal over both.
I don't disagree, but even if the difference between Brannstrom and Timmins is Avs 1st in 2019, I think you still do it. I would definitely have done Kaut/Timmins+Jost+2nd 2020 easily. Jost and 2nd would be the difference between Kaut and Stone and Stone would replace whatever Kaut would bring long term.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

When you're aggressive, you might win the Cup or you might not. It's a crapshoot once you make it to the dance.

When you're patient, you're not going to win the Cup. Instead, you're going to keep chasing moving goalposts until the years pile up with no wins.

The reason I think a lot of Avs fans are so risk averse is that we've seen the Avs make some terrible aggressive decisions on bad players to help the team win. So doing nothing is better than bringing in bad players. But I don't think it's too much to want them to just make proactive decisions to bring in good players. That should be the goal, and no amount of hoarded draft picks is going to make that better for me.

Prices were really low this year in a buyer's market. Holding onto the Avs' first round pick because the goalies decided to shit the bed for two months is just a really stubborn, frustrating move to me.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't disagree, but even if the difference between Brannstrom and Timmins is Avs 1st in 2019, I think you still do it. I would definitely have done Kaut/Timmins+Jost+2nd 2020 easily. Jost and 2nd would be the difference between Kaut and Stone and Stone would replace whatever Kaut would bring long term.

I don't think the Sens wanted quantity in this deal though. They did that with Duchene and Dzingle.

Stone was their big fish and they wanted quality over quantity. That's why I think they take the Brannstrom deal over almost anything the Avs offer.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't think the Sens wanted quantity in this deal though. They did that with Duchene and Dzingle.

Stone was their big fish and they wanted quality over quantity. That's why I think they take the Bransstrom deal over almost anything the Avs offer.
Yeah, I think the only way Stone was coming here is if we offered Makar or their 1st back, which are both hell no.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, I think the only way Stone was coming here is if we offered Makar or their 1st back, which are both hell no.

And you gotta think they were insisting on one of those. Dorion/Melnyk don't want to get embarrassed again.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
@S E P H Brannstrom seems to have higher upside than Jost and a concussed Timmins, he's practically PPG as a defenseman in the AHL. Avs would have had to give up Makar.

28 points in 41 games is not practically PPG.

Hes a good prospect obviously but let's not stretch the truth with his AHL production.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When you're aggressive, you might win the Cup or you might not. It's a crapshoot once you make it to the dance.

When you're patient, you're not going to win the Cup. Instead, you're going to keep chasing moving goalposts until the years pile up with no wins.

The reason I think a lot of Avs fans are so risk averse is that we've seen the Avs make some terrible aggressive decisions on bad players to help the team win. So doing nothing is better than bringing in bad players. But I don't think it's too much to want them to just make proactive decisions to bring in good players. That should be the goal, and no amount of hoarded draft picks is going to make that better for me.

Prices were really low this year in a buyer's market. Holding onto the Avs' first round pick because the goalies decided to **** the bed for two months is just a really stubborn, frustrating move to me.

giphy.webp

Bad moves are bad moves whether they're reactive or proactive. They should not be an excuse not to ever take any risks

Reactions: hooverdam

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
People have to realize that the Sens weren’t going to trade Stone to us, barring a huge overpayment. The optics of potentially trading the 1st overall pick and Stone to the same team for a middling return would be devastating...even for a team like Ottawa.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
28 points in 41 games is not practically PPG.

Hes a good prospect obviously but let's not stretch the truth with his AHL production.

Whoops looked at the PIM column. But still quite good production. Jost would put up similar numbers as a forward.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
And you gotta think they were insisting on one of those. Dorion/Melnyk don't want to get embarrassed again.
I could definitely see them being petty and giving us a way higher ask than others because he knows he has plenty of other options. Best chance of Stone coming here was UFA, I doubt they had any intention of trading him here after everything that happened.

Reactions: Foppa2118

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And what if Stone didn't want to sign an extension here.

Is Jost/Timmins, Greer and a 2nd worth 15 games of Stone?

Answer: Nope
Showing how fast Stone was able to sign an extension with Vegas tells me that the extra year for him was huge (it's not like Vegas captures that success of last year because they clearly haven't played like it thus far). Of course if he went to Arizona or Oilers, he probably would've went to July 1st. For all **** talking and complaining we do about the Avs, we still have a very bright future and core in front of us. You think Stone wouldn't have signed with the chance of playing with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Jost, Soderberg, and potentially Hughes or Cozens four years from now? I am under the impression that if he was so quick to sign with VGK, the desire to sign with us would have been up there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad