GDT: 2019 Trade Deadline Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Patient GMs are the most successful GMs.

It would have been nice to make moves like Columbus did but I still can't see them making it far in the playoffs.

We could have added Stone and maybe another player and traded away our top prospects but we would still have to get through Nashville and Winnipeg and then Tampa Bay in the East. I can't see us coming close to beating them in a 7 game series.

Be patient. Let the young guys learn. Develop our prospects and draft a few key guys. Supplement with a trade or free agent.

Our window to take on the big boys is not open yet.

I don't have much of a problem with the fact that we weren't aggressive today. Brassard is a nice cheap add. All I'm saying is the patience era should be ending very shortly, and if it isn't then I'll start to become frustrated.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
But we have a 35% chance of getting Hughes or Kakko.

I'll be surprised if LA sucks more than Ottawa down the stretch.

With the chance of adding either Hughes or Kakko, I like these odds.

Maybe a consolation prize of Podkolzin, Cozen, Dach or Turcotte...I still won't have problems with losing the draft.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm not trying to convert anyone so you can keep making whatever excuses for Sakic's inaction you want, but they don't hold water with me. If you have faith in Sakic & trust everything he does, that's nice, but I don't.

I'm not making any excuses for Sakic...the decisions on not mortgaging the future of the team for a short-term fix is a decision that makes considerable sense. You shouldn't so angry if others disagree with with your opinion to selloff players, prospects and picks for rentals.

Reactions: 21

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I can say it now: at least they didn't trade for Ceci!

Also, not to acknowledge a ghost (damn browser logged me out) but none of the GMs of the past cap era Cup winners have been patient, like at all. More often than not, patience results in a window passing you by.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
What does your defense look like for this contending team?

Lil Spinny who doesn’t get points - Aging Johnson
Inconsistent Russian - Rookie
Green Giant/Broken Barbie - Overpaid ex-BJ

Erik Karlsson
Tyler Myers
Anton Stralman
Jake Gardiner

Or even a guy like Girardi, McQuaid, Chairot, Engelland for the bottom pairing to give us some size and grit.

But if we stand pat. Sign Zadorov for 1 year. Trade Barrie. Lose Nemeth.

Makar - EJ
Girard - Cole
Zadorov - Graves
Timmins

Nothing wrong with that.

Trade Barrie for a top 6 forward like Kadri. Resign Brassard. Draft Hughes.

Hughes- Mack- Rantanen
Lando- Kadri- Kerfoot
Compher- Soderberg- Calvert
Nieto- Brassard- Jost

Bowers
Kaut
Kamanev
Greer
Avs 2019 1st

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I don't have much of a problem with the fact that we weren't aggressive today. Brassard is a nice cheap add. All I'm saying is the patience era should be ending very shortly, and if it isn't then I'll start to become frustrated.
We'll know when it comes to paying Mikko if this organization is really willing to contend long term, or if they are Colorado Rockies of the NHL.

The word "budget" has been uttered too many times in the last few years for my liking, and the Organization has been notoriously difficult when it comes to negotiating new deals for players. But that has also been clouded in mystery with the fact that they have been bad and "rebuilding" since 2009, and they've made "hockey deals" to try improve by trading guys, for picks and prospects, that seemingly forced their way out of town.

Now they're on the verge of contending for what seems like a extended period of time. Will they pay the necessary $ to keep guys around? They haven't paid any one more than Mack's $6.5 in years.

They did with Joe, Peter, Patrick, Rob, etc. back in the day, but Stan also didn't own the multiple teams he does now, including what seems like his new Bae in the NFL's Rams. Does that stop him from spending on the Avs? We're gonna find out soon.

Reactions: 21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not making any excuses for Sakic...the decisions on not mortgaging the future of the team for a short-term fix is a decision that makes considerable sense. You shouldn't so angry if others disagree with with your opinion to selloff players, prospects and picks for rentals.

Or we could call it moving surplus assets for a long term solution if we didn't wanna spin it to justify doing nothing of consequence :dunno:

PS I'm not angry with anyone, not even Sakic...yet. Although if he doesn't break character this summer, he'll raise my ire.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can say it now: at least they didn't trade for Ceci!

Also, not to acknowledge a ghost (damn browser logged me out) but none of the GMs of the past cap era Cup winners have been patient, like at all. More often than not, patience results in a window passing you by.

Bingo.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Apparently, Kevin Weekes said that the Avs told him they were prepared to not make any moves unless someone called with a great deal.

It’s not only the Sens who give teams discounts to save on airfare.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wild are making bad trades and giving out a multi-year deal to a 35 year old. Okay then.

Staal has been a great signing for them though. What a career turnaround after that one disastrous Canes/Rangers season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not supposed to be an anti-AJ post, but another year where he got absolutely nothing right.

McPhee redeeming himself from the Tatar trade, losing Brannstrom is going to hurt a lot. But holy **** they traded away nothing for Stone and got him an extension. Avs should've been way more aggressive if that's the case. I would've given Jost up easily for him if that's what Stones price dropped to in the long run. Sens might've been their own worst enemy here, they probably could've gotten more if they traded him a week ago.

One for one? That's a bit of a low-sell on Granlund isn't it?
I love Fiala, love the way he plays the game, but no doubt this is a low trade for the Wild. Granlund thinks the game better and can anticipate the game better than anything Fiala has shown thus far. Because of that Granlund is much better, especially considering he can play centre and wing and Koivu is 35 freakin' years old. Your #1 centre is on the cusp of retiring/dropping off and you trade the only other offencive player who can play centre for a winger?

I wouldn't do Makar straight up for a signed Stone
Brannstrom isn't VGK's best prospect, Glass is. This trade equivalent would be us giving up either Jost or Timmins (without the concussion issues), AJ Greer (better potential than Lindberg), and a 2nd in 2020 for effin' Stone. Avs dropped the ball here, but so did 90% of the league. Glad he went to VGK though and not to someone like the Flames, Jets, or Preds who have a much better foundation.

As I mentioned yesterday, JR wasn't ever a good GM. Perhaps when he was in his prime when Canes won the Cup, but that was one of the weakest Finals ever. Sure he won two Cups with Pens, but one was a fluke due to a random 3rd line of Bonino, Kessel, and Hagelin and the other was the partnership between Fleury and Murray. Of course they have talent, but holy smokes those moves will set them back long term.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Lol Minny consistently shipping out their only decent players. They're virtually guaranteed to suck for a long while after this.
Not to mention trading away Haula and Tuch to make sure they didn't take Staal/Dumba/Scandella because they chose to protect others including Granlund, Nino and Coyle, who are all gone for peanuts now :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad