WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This didn't help Walsh last year but USA Hockey would be insane not to have Walsh on the left side of the PP set up for the onetimer. He has more goals per game than most of his competition have PPG.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.03.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.03.09 PM.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 54

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Miller has 15 points in 16 games. He's the leading U19 scorer in college hockey, and he's doing that from the back-end. Wilde has 22 points in 21 games. He's 5th in defensemen PPG in the OHL. I think both of these players that weren't at the summer camp need to be on the radar.

There's going to be a lot of tough decisions for this team to make on defense. Conventional wisdom says that Hughes, Samberg and Anderson are locks because they were there last year. Walsh nearly made it last year, and has had a good start to the season. He wasn't good at the summer camp, but I think that would matter more if he wasn't a favorite to make the team this year going in. I think he'll make it. Samuelsson and Keane were both good at the summer camp and have had decent starts to the season. I think those two have earned spots. That leaves one spot for Miller or Wilde. Both deserve to make it. Could Anderson come off the list and both get spots? There's also Gildon, Rathbone and Mirageas who also wouldn't be bad additions.

We are stacked on D. These are good decisions to have to make.

Hughes , Barratt, Poehling , Norris at Center I'd say is at least as deep as any other years. Three bonafide college stars and the eventual 1st overall pick. Hard for any country to top that.

None will, but there's more to the forward position than center. We are looking really weak at winger right now.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope theyre not afraid to give more of the 01s to make the team. I say this every year, but i'd take a little youth and inexperience when it comes with more skill, as an alternative to taking those few guys on the team that dont really contribute but they were chosen because they were older and seen as safe. If theres any year to trust the underagers its this year. Obviously Hughes, but I really want too see Kaliyev, Boldy, Zegras, Caufield, Turcotte (if healthy) at least get invited to camp, let one of them try and win a spot.

And then each successive year, your returning players will be more experienced

I think Turcotte is out of contention. He's still not healthy. He's played so few hockey games this year. He should make it, if healthy, but a player who wasn't there last year and has not put up a case this year isn't making it.

I don't see Caufield making it. There are some smaller forwards like Guttman, Kruse, Dhooghe who are more likely to make the camp. Is he better than some of the players who will likely be there? I think so, but draft-eligibles always get discriminated against in the selection process. It's that way for all of the big countries except for Finland.

I think Kaliyev has to be there. His OHL numbers are ridiculous. He's outpacing a lot of players already drafted that will play at this tournament. Zegras and Boldy should also be there, but I wouldn't be surprised if only one is or none of them is. I can't see both making the final roster, and it might be none.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Out of this group of OHL players who do you think gets invited to camp?
Kaliyev, J.Robertson, Wilde, Regula, J.Keane, Tortora, Lodnia, A.Thomas, Dhillon, Keyser, Stranges, Chmelevski, Cotter

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Miller has 15 points in 16 games. He's the leading U19 scorer in college hockey, and he's doing that from the back-end. Wilde has 22 points in 21 games. He's 5th in defensemen PPG in the OHL. I think both of these players that weren't at the summer camp need to be on the radar.

There's going to be a lot of tough decisions for this team to make on defense. Conventional wisdom says that Hughes, Samberg and Anderson are locks because they were there last year. Walsh nearly made it last year, and has had a good start to the season. He wasn't good at the summer camp, but I think that would matter more if he wasn't a favorite to make the team this year going in. I think he'll make it. Samuelsson and Keane were both good at the summer camp and have had decent starts to the season. I think those two have earned spots. That leaves one spot for Miller or Wilde. Both deserve to make it. Could Anderson come off the list and both get spots? There's also Gildon, Rathbone and Mirageas who also wouldn't be bad additions.

We are stacked on D. These are good decisions to have to make.

None will, but there's more to the forward position than center. We are looking really weak at winger right now.

Kaliyev, Wahlstrom, Robertson, theres some talent on the wings, I think some forwards will surprise too.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kaliyev, Wahlstrom, Robertson, theres some talent on the wings, I think some forwards will surprise too.

First year draft eligible, struggling early on this season, only one player.

The USA is never going to put out a winger group with no talent, but the wingers look to be by far the weakest component of the American team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Out of this group of OHL players who do you think gets invited to camp?
Kaliyev, J.Robertson, Wilde, Regula, J.Keane, Tortora, Lodnia, A.Thomas, Dhillon, Keyser, Stranges, Chmelevski, Cotter

yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, no, no, no, yes, no, yes, yes

Edit: Who is A. Thomas? Are you talking about Akil Thomas? He was eligible for the USA, but he plays for Canada. I think he'd make the American team this year, but its a moot point.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
The "POOR TEAM - UNH (which) stinks", who nabbed 3 points last weekend against #19 Miami and just tied #10 Providence down at Schneider Arena, has a new head coach in Mike Souza. Here's what Max Gildon recently said:
"Being solid in the defensive zone but not losing that offensive spark. Coach Souza and the addition of coach Jeff Guiliano are really starting to help me out with that and it’s been awesome."
I've been in the arenas for 6 of his games this season and watched the other 7 online. Gildon just made a key defensive play to preserve the 1-1 tie with #10 Providence. I think he'll get invited to the USA camps in Washington and British Columbia. From there, it's up to him to show how much he's developed.
His obvious strengths are skating, carrying the puck through all three zones, anticipation, passing and shooting. He's improving in the defensive zone, using his reach and puck control to break up plays. He occasionally turns the puck over leading to rushes by opponents. If he can eliminate this during camp, I think he could make the final roster.

Yes, UNH beat Miami for their second win of the season and their third in nearly a FULL YEAR. Then they took one-point from Providence scoring two goals on the weekend. They're averaging 2.07 goals-per-game as a team, while Gildon is scoring nearly a point per game from the blueline. Poor is a pretty fair assessment of UNH the past year and a half. And Gildon succeeding notably at both ends of the rink, inspite of that, is exactly why he should make this team IMO...

Put him (and Walsh) on one PP with the elite forward talent that he doesn't play with at UNH - with Hughes leading the other group - and USA would be SO SO SO dangerous in a short tournament...

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, no, no, no, yes, no, yes, yes

Edit: Who is A. Thomas? Are you talking about Akil Thomas? He was eligible for the USA, but he plays for Canada. I think he'd make the American team this year, but its a moot point.
yeah not sure if he would make Canada either

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I would be shocked if he didn't make it...

his play with Hughes and Farabee was other worldly..you bring him to camp, pair that trio back up and see if magic starts...if it doesn't then adjust from there.

Hughes will get Wahlstrom going, his struggles in college aren't unlike Bellows couple years ago. Bellows been doing just fine.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I always enjoy PB's posts, but I think he is a bit off on the forwards. I get it that Farabee and Wall E stats wise haven't tore things up which makes the group look weaker..

There are plenty of names that can make up the forward group. Centers are a strength which was already mentioned..but having Kaliyev, Robertson, Farabee, Wahlstrom, Drury, Chmelevski, etc on the wing is very very solid. Maybe we lack that elite forward, but we make up for it in absolute depth. Tons of kids are in the running for this team because of their strong seasons. Jim O'Brien doesn't get an invite IMO, he hasn't been healthy enough. Wahlstrom has played well and once reunited with Hughes and Farabee we can watch the show yet again..Zegras is legit and makes this team, too dynamic to leave off.

Jason Robertson - Josh Norris - Arthur Kaliyev
Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Trevor Zegras - Ryan Poehling - Sasha Chmelevski
Tyler Madden - Evan Barratt - Jack Drury

Quinn Hughes - Reilly Walsh
Max Gildon - Bode Wilde
Dylan Samberg - K'Andre Miller
Mattias Samuelsson

that 4th line are all almost over a ppg in NCAA hockey - that would be a lethal 4th line...

if that isn't enough firepower for some, then load up on the defense with puck movers and shot bombers! Mikey Anderson doesn't make this team and shouldn't...too many others that need to be here over him that are more dynamic. that defense is f***ing scary good!

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I think the D ends up being:

Quinn Hughes-Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg-Max Gildon
Mikey Anderson-Phil Kemp
K'Andre Miller

I'd take Samuelsson over Kemp personally, but I have a weird feeling they'll keep Kemp around.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think the D ends up being:

Quinn Hughes-Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg-Max Gildon
Mikey Anderson-Phil Kemp
K'Andre Miller

I'd take Samuelsson over Kemp personally, but I have a weird feeling they'll keep Kemp around.
God I hope not, but year after year we do see the odd ball pick especially on defense - Brian Lashoff, Jack Ahcan, and even Scott Perunovich was odd at the time...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Keane was very good at the summer camp, and has had a good season. I don't know why so many aren't naming him. I think he's very likely to make the team.
I try and pick my teams with a balanced RD and LD...but I have Miller on his off side (though he plays both)...Keane could make this team, I just like my top 6 better over him...you can make a case between him and Samuelsson, but I wanted a bit more grounded and bigger guy in Mattias. Keane likely makes it as Wilde probably won't get the call despite those of us that really want him there. My group doesn't include Anderson as a returnee...just a lot of competition here a few guys are going to be very disappointed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I try and pick my teams with a balanced RD and LD...but I have Miller on his off side (though he plays both)...Keane could make this team, I just like my top 6 better over him...you can make a case between him and Samuelsson, but I wanted a bit more grounded and bigger guy in Mattias. Keane likely makes it as Wilde probably won't get the call despite those of us that really want him there. My group doesn't include Anderson as a returnee...just a lot of competition here a few guys are going to be very disappointed.

I wasn’t talking about anyone specifically. I’ve seen a few people not mention him. I think the most interesting choices will be on the backend. We have a lot of defensive depth. Some players that are having good seasons probably won’t make it.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Keane was very good at the summer camp, and has had a good season. I don't know why so many aren't naming him. I think he's very likely to make the team.
he's been quite average on a colts team that is very good. been outplayed by tyler tucker who was selected way after and is a full year younger. i like keane, but don't think he makes the squad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
he's been quite average on a colts team that is very good. been outplayed by tyler tucker who was selected way after and is a full year younger. i like keane, but don't think he makes the squad.

Has he? Have you watched a lot of Barrie? I don’t watch much of Barrie, so I could be wrong, but everything I’ve read and saw has been very positive about Keane.

I think Keane will make it. There are higher picks in contention that might look better in a best “prospect lineup”, but I think after the summer camp he was going to make it as long as he had a decent start to the season. Troy Terry, Scott Perunovich, Patrick Harper are some players in recent years who might’ve not fit in the best “prospect lineup”, but they earned their spot on the team and their reputation caught up. Keane’s reputation should start catching up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad