Reilly Walsh
Bode Wilde

Goalies (x4):

Drew DeRidder
Keith Petruzzelli
Dylan St. Cyr
Cayden Primeau

Notes:
  • There are 6 potential returnees and only Tkachuk is a threat to be in the NHL. There's certainly a good chance he's in the NHL, but right now I'd imagine he's more likely to be back at BU.
  • The forward depth isn't great. The '99 forward group is average. There's better top-end forward talent in the '00s, but there's not an elite star in that group and the talent in that group isn't what it was once hoped to be with guys like Wise having disappointed.
  • There's pretty good depth on the back-end with Samberg and Hughes definitely the go-to guys to start.
  • Looking at the goalie options, it's even crazier that they didn't choose to bring along a guy that could return in 2019, especially since Swayman was never going to get a chance. Mind boggling decision by USAH.
Without knowing what the other rosters will be, it's probably a team that you hope can sneak out of there with a bronze medal if things go really well. Reminds me a bit of this year's team except the star forward will be a 17-year old instead of 19-year old and the goalies will be a clear weakness.

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Tkachuk-Poehling-Wahlstrom
Farabee-Norris-Lodnia
Robertson-Hughes-Reedy
Barratt-Mismash-Giles
Wise

Samberg-Wilde
Hughes-Kemp
Anderson-Walsh
Gildon

Primeau
Petruzzelli
DeRidder

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Do you think Motzko will be back? This tournament obviously didn’t go all too well, and his goaltending decisions were suspect, but he rallied his team from being behind twice with admirable levels of success, and the US had by far the best system in this tournament IMO. He also seems to generally get the most out of his players and put people in opportunities for success.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Do you think Motzko will be back? This tournament obviously didn’t go all too well, and his goaltending decisions were suspect, but he rallied his team from being behind twice with admirable levels of success, and the US had by far the best system in this tournament IMO. He also seems to generally get the most out of his players and put people in opportunities for success.

I hope not. Good coach but I like having a new set of eyes.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It's time to start looking forward to next year.

Goaltenders

Cayden Primeau (Northeastern Univ.)
Best guess to be US number one next year. I am suprised he wasnt third goalie this year but has been pretty good this year in Northeastern and when his competitors struggling at the moment you have to hope he can continue improving and be number one next year.

Dylan St.Cyr (Univ. of Notre Dame)
Undersized goalie who was excellent in U18s. Now has been outplayed in Notre Dame and have to improve next year.

Keith Petruzzelli (Quinnipiac Univ.)
Struggling at the moment in NCAA. Has been outplayed in Quinnipiac and have to improve a lot in next year if he want to be in this team.

Adam Scheel (Penticton Vees)
Dark horse but has been really good in BCHL this season. If he can continue same way in North Dakota next season there is chance for him. Has been part of NTDP so USA hockey knows him very well. Reminds me Hunter Miska situation who saved his career in BCHL after struggling in NTDP. Then he was excellent in NCAA and signed NHL contract after one season.

Drew DeRidder (USNTDP Juniors)
Probably best 2000 born goalie from US at the moment. Then there is Mor, Kraws and Saville. Ullan and Karki was dropper from NTDP after last season so i dont believe they can bounce back well enough.

Defenders

Favourites:
Quinn Hughes
Michael Anderson
Philip Kemp
Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg
Max Gildon
Benjamin Mirageas
David Farrance
Bode Wilde
K'Andre Miller
Mattias Samuelsson
Adam Samuelsson

Others:
Clayton Phillips
Jack Rathbone
Tyler Inamoto
Tommy Miller
Joshua Ess
Matt Anderson
Nate Knoepke
Chase Hartje
Ty Emberson
Stanislav Demin

This group is slightly harder because there is always some freshmens who will suprise everyone.

My early picks:
Hughes-Samberg
Gildon-Walsh
Anderson-Kemp
Wilde

Forwards

Favourites:
Brady Tkachuk
Joshua Norris
Ryan Poehling
Oliver Wahlstrom
Jack Hughes
Grant Mismash
Joel Farabee
Evan Barratt
Jason Robertson
Ivan Lodnia
Alexander Chmelevski

Others:
Graham Slaggert
Scott Reedy
Logan Cockerill
Jacob Tortora
Sean Dhooghe
Michael Pastujov
Jay O'Brien
Cole Guttman
Noah Cates
Jack Drury
Johnny Gruden
Blade Jenkins
Tyler Madden
Blake McLaughlin
Jacob Pivonka

My early picks:
Tkachuk-Norris-Wahlstrom
Farabee-Poehling-Hughes
Robertson-Mismash-Lodnia
Cockerill-Barratt-Chmelevski
Dhooghe

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking at that forward group, I am left wondering who is going to score outside of the top line.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Defense will be the strength of the team. There are some top-end guys and a ton of depth.

Forward group certainly doesn't seem nearly as good on paper but they still have a year to develop.

Goaltending seems like a huge wild card at this point but if Primeau keeps playing the way he is, it could be better than it was this year.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I think after a year of development next year's team wont be any worse than this years. Guys like Yamamoto and Brown never really got going this year, and the team still succeeded for the most part with depth. If Tkachuk comes back, he, along with, Wahlstrom, Farabee, Jack Hughes, are good high end talent, with depth in Poehling, Norris, Lodnia, Mismash (who is having a great year it looks for a freshman) etc I can see a good team. hopefully a few of the current NTDP U18 defensemen have big years (Wilde, Samuelsson, Miller etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: clevelandcane

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Next years team has great talent. Been waiting for Wahlstrom, Wilde, Wise etc... They havent hit their stride yet...hopefully.

And J. Hughes is the real deal.

Reactions: Blindsummit

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This is way too early as the rest of the season, especially the IIHF U18, will help determine so much, but an early guess:

Forwards (x13):
Brady Tkachuk (C) - Ryan Poehling - Ivan Lodnia
Grant Mismash - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Joel Farabee - Josh Norris - Jason Robertson
Blake McLaughlin - Evan Barratt - Sasha Chmelevksi
Jonathan Gruden

Defense (x7):
Dylan Samberg - Bode Wilde
Quinn Hughes - Mikey Anderson
Ben Mirageas - Alec Regula
Reilly Walsh

Goalies (x3):
Cayden Primeau
Keith Petruzzelli
Spencer Knight
Notes:
  • You could make strong cases for a lot of forwards, especially after you get past the top 6-8 guys.
  • I'm especially interested to see which U18s (if any) beyond Wahlstrom/Farabee make a strong case for the team.
  • There's a lot of options on defense and a lot of guys have realistic chances right now. There always seems to be a guy that comes out of nowhere to make the roster. Will Regula be that guy?
  • The goalies are a crapshoot. Primeau's the best candidate right now, but a lot can change in a year (see this year's goalies). I wouldn't be surprised to see an underage goalie (likely Knight, possibly Wolf?) make it.
  • When evaluating 17/18 year old hockey prospects, this outlook is bound to change a lot in 4 months, but it's fun to see how wrong I can be right after the 2018 WJC.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I'm surprised if Tkachuk doesn't make it to the NHL next season. He will be probably drafted 4th or 5th and will join one of the bottom teams in the league, where it's easier to make it as well.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
I'd be surprised if Tkachuk isn't on this team again next year. Remember, immediately prior to the tournament this was a player that a number of posters (wrongly) didn't think should even make the team.

He had a great tournament - but he has only been solid/good at BU. Not spectacular. He currently has four goals as a FR. For comparisons' sake Keller had 21. Someone will draft him high and be thrilled to death to give him another year of free development with BU and USA hockey and he'll be better for it. Especially with the game he wants to play when he does get to the NHL...

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'd be surprised if Tkachuk isn't on this team again next year. Remember, immediately prior to the tournament this was a player that a number of posters (wrongly) didn't think should even make the team.

He had a great tournament - but he has only been solid/good at BU. Not spectacular. He currently has four goals as a FR. For comparisons' sake Keller had 21. Someone will draft him high and be thrilled to death to give him another year of free development with BU and USA hockey and he'll be better for it. Especially with the game he wants to play when he does get to the NHL...
Never under estimate some teams ability to rush players when they shouldn't. I don't doubt that he should be back next year but with top picks you literally never know what teams will do with them. Really depends on the team that ends up picking him up.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
This is way too early as the rest of the season, especially the IIHF U18, will help determine so much, but an early guess:

Forwards (x13):
Brady Tkachuk (C) - Ryan Poehling - Ivan Lodnia
Grant Mismash - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Joel Farabee - Josh Norris - Jason Robertson
Blake McLaughlin - Evan Barratt - Sasha Chmelevksi
Jonathan Gruden

Defense (x7):
Dylan Samberg - Bode Wilde
Quinn Hughes - Mikey Anderson
Ben Mirageas - Alec Regula
Reilly Walsh

Goalies (x3):
Cayden Primeau
Keith Petruzzelli
Spencer Knight
Notes:
  • You could make strong cases for a lot of forwards, especially after you get past the top 6-8 guys.
  • I'm especially interested to see which U18s (if any) beyond Wahlstrom/Farabee make a strong case for the team.
  • There's a lot of options on defense and a lot of guys have realistic chances right now. There always seems to be a guy that comes out of nowhere to make the roster. Will Regula be that guy?
  • The goalies are a crapshoot. Primeau's the best candidate right now, but a lot can change in a year (see this year's goalies). I wouldn't be surprised to see an underage goalie (likely Knight, possibly Wolf?) make it.
  • When evaluating 17/18 year old hockey prospects, this outlook is bound to change a lot in 4 months, but it's fun to see how wrong I can be right after the 2018 WJC.
Hey Bonney, just curious, do you have your roster guess for this 2018 team from last year? I'm not judging just trying to get a feel for how many of these kids are known (at this time of year - 1 yr in advance) and how many will come out of relative obscurity.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Hey Bonney, just curious, do you have your roster guess for this 2018 team from last year? I'm not judging just trying to get a feel for how many of these kids are known (at this time of year - 1 yr in advance) and how many will come out of relative obscurity.
If you go to the first pages of the 2018 USA Roster thread you'll see a year's worth of predictions.

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

This was my after-tournament guess last year:

Way too early, and after the season finishes, I'm more interested in what a summer camp roster may look like instead of trying to predict the team, but here's my initial guess:

Forwards (x13):

Kieffer Bellows - Clayton Keller - Joey Anderson
Casey Mittelstadt - Logan Brown - Kailer Yamamoto
Max Jones - Trent Frederic - Ivan Lodnia
Jason Robertson - Josh Norris - William Lockwood
Ryan Poehling

Defense (x7):

Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Chad Krys - Luke Martin
JD Greenway - Andrew Peeke
David Farrance

Goalies (x3):

Joseph Woll
Jake Oettinger
Cayden Primeau

Notes:
  • I don't think they should lose anyone to the NHL like they did this year. Keller needs another year to get stronger, and Brown needs more consistency in his game. Hopefully they're available.
  • On first look, this defense will need a few guys to progress and rise to the challenge, much like this year's team. Can Krys take another step in his development? Sean Day?!?
  • Left off Harper as he's barely a returning player. The next DeBrincat? If he can keep up his production in the NCAA next year, he'll obviously be heavily in the running, but I'm skeptical.
  • I'm not that high on the NTDP U18 team, but the IIHF U18 tournament in April will help determine potential front runners. There will definitely be quite a few players on that team at the summer camp, but not that confident on most of those guys being ready for this tournament.
  • Some interesting players in the OHL to follow. I threw on Lodnia and Robertson here, but guys like Gettinger, Chmelevski, Kopacka, and Dineen are worth watching.
I had 10 of the 13 forwards. Keller obviously proved he didn't need another year and I had Lodnia/Robertson on the team instead of Tufte/Harper.

I only had 3 of the 7 d-men. Really shows how quickly things can change at these age levels as Samberg and Perunovich weren't really on most anyone's radar a year ago, Anderson was known but not a strong contender, and Hughes was obviously very good but the IIHF U18 is critical to baselining the U18 guys.

I had 2 of the 3 goalies, but I should have been 3 for 3 because we should have taken a '99 and Primeau would have been the obvious choice : )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->