WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't see how that is an awful forward group

I'm speaking of the normal age group for the players, which are players born in 1999 and 2000, usually those already drafted. We have probably two wingers who deserves to make the team, Robertson and Farabee. I'd call that a weak year for the forwards, and no big stars from this group of players. Without the younger players as well, the team isn't even that deep at center. Four good ones, but nothing too great that Canada, for example, doesn't have. If you add the younger players, the forwards look much better, but none of those guys have ever played in the WJC, and most of them probably will not make it. I don't actually think any draft eligible forward besides Hughes will be picked.

The fact that we have to rely so much on so many younger forwards, otherwise put out a forward core that I think anyone should agree is pretty awful, shows where this team's struggles are going into the tournament. There are a number of good defensemen within the age group who won't make this team. You can't say the same for the forwards. Goalies are pretty good also. Certainly much better than it was looking earlier in the year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
a ridiculous comment. also lacks miller which is bizarre coming from a rangers fan...

That must be the difference between me and some of you. I am not going to shill for the New York Rangers management. If a player from the organization deserves to make it, I'll list them, as I listed Keane. Were you able to spot this or your outrage didn't allow that?

He thinks Miller is dumb and isn’t very good

Speak for yourself. There are three returning left-shots, and another who is pretty established and was good at the Summer camp. No room for another lefty, unless that lefty is so much better than the right-handed options. Next year he'll have a good chance to make the team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I thought Barratt was a lock prior to the summer eval camp, and he has done nothing but cement that. Barratt currently leads the ENTIRE NCAA is scoring - 19 points in 11 games. He plays both sides of the puck and has grit and energy like a Tkachuk out there...just see his destruction of Ryan Lindgren from last year as evidence.

This will be a strong group overall with a ton of tough choices to make at every position.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
That must be the difference between me and some of you. I am not going to shill for the New York Rangers management. If a player from the organization deserves to make it, I'll list them, as I listed Keane. Were you able to spot this or your outrage didn't allow that?

Speak for yourself. There are three returning left-shots, and another who is pretty established and was good at the Summer camp. No room for another lefty, unless that lefty is so much better than the right-handed options. Next year he'll have a good chance to make the team.
It shouldnt matter what handed shot he is. If he can play he should.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Robertson-Poehling-Barratt
Kaliyev-Hughes-Hutsko
Zegras-Norris-Guttman
Farabee-Drury-Kruse
Madden

Hughes-Keane
Samuelsson-Samberg
Anderson-Walsh
Wilde

Knight
Primeau
Keyser

I like our defense and goalies. Forwards look awful. Good down the middle, but not much on the wings, unless you start using a bunch of draft-eligibles. 3 of the 13 are draft-eligibles, which I doubt we'll see happen anyway. Boldy and Caufield might actually also belong here over guys like Kruse, Guttman, Hutsko, Madden. I'll leave them out for now, but they belong here on talent level. If Turcotte gets himself healthy, I think I'd have him in this team.
I think that is one of the strongest group of forwards out there, plus you have a few names I would switch out as well...by the time the tourney starts, I think the forward group will look stronger once a number of the slower start freshmen get rolling...

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
What about Max Gildon? He has great numbers on a poor NCAA team and he was good for team USA in the U18 tournament.

Extra emphasis on POOR TEAM - UNH stinks this year. They simply cannot score, and still, Gildon leads the team averaging a point per game figuring in exactly half of the team's 20 total goals. He has zero cheap points either as he has flat out created all of the goals he's figured in...

If he played on even a good offensive team he'd be filling out the stat sheet a la Adam Fox at Harvard.

He's also playing a TON of minutes. A TON. Easily every other shift, first PK shifts and almost entire PPs. He breaks out an obscene percentage of pucks (when he's on the ice they actively look for him nearly every time) - and keys whatever offense UNH can generate from the point, on the rush or by dropping low and making plays. Despite being the focal point of every team they play...

I think he should have made it last year and definitely should make it this year, at worst as the extra D who can bring so much skill, but USA Hockey doesn't seem to like him. He only made the summer camp this time around due to injury...

At this point, I don't expect him to even make the winter camp, honestly. And that's probably going to be a result of how bad his team is around him.

While a kid like Guttman might play his way onto this roster by landing in good fortune on a line with a two stud wingers on a winning team, there is no one to help Gildon. His numbers are suffering certainly and his overwork has led to a few mistakes that likely won't be given the benefit of the doubt after his turnover struggles a couple years ago (even though those issues have been extremely few and far between the last year or so as he's cleaned a lot up).

His FR D partner (MacKinnon) is struggling along at -6 (to Gildon's -1) with coverage concerns and the two best skill forwards are a couple of FR - one an 18 year old straight out of Prep School...

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are so many good defensemen that won't get picked. Tough year to make it on defense. I think Gildon will miss out, especially considering he's a left shot.

Hughes, Samberg and Anderson probably are locks. They've cut players before who made it the previous year, but thats usually only if there's a big gap in the ability of the players. You could argue Anderson shouldn't be there, but I think they'll go with him over players like Gildon, Miller, Mirageas, Rathbone, if its close.

Samuelsson and Keane both were good at the Summer training camp, and have had good starts to the season. I think they are close to locks. Walsh nearly made it last year. He didn't have a good summer training camp, but he's started the season well. I think he's likely to make it.

One spot left. We are right now at 4L, 2R. That last spot is between the players mentioned above, and I think Wilde also has a chance as a right shot. I would not go with 5L, 2R. I think 4L, 3R makes a lot more sense, and we could use Wilde's PP ability. If you take another left shot and not a good PP player, we only have two good PP defensemen with Hughes and Walsh. I'd like to have three good options, in case we want to put two defensemen on one of the PP's.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Blake McLaughlin was getting some mentions earlier in the year for this team, but if any Gopher freshmen are going to be considered it should be Sammy Walker. I don't expect him to make it but his speed could be a real asset on this squad.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Goaltending update/question:

Keyser has been fantastic with his .930 sv pct for Oshawa (OHL), and Knight has been great too at .924 for the USNTDP (USHL). Cayden Primeau sits at .915 (NU, NCAA), and from my viewings he's been mostly ok throughout the year, with a couple of spectacular performances (he looked really good during a 11/16 shutout vs. Vermont).

My question is, does anyone expect Knight or Keyser to have the inside track at this point despite Keyser being a late bloomer and Knight being 17? Not sure if people have been watching their performances either and has strong feelings towards a player.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Robertson-Poehling-Barratt
Kaliyev-Hughes-Hutsko
Zegras-Norris-Guttman
Farabee-Drury-Kruse
Madden

Hughes-Keane
Samuelsson-Samberg
Anderson-Walsh
Wilde

Knight
Primeau
Keyser

I like our defense and goalies. Forwards look awful. Good down the middle, but not much on the wings, unless you start using a bunch of draft-eligibles. 3 of the 13 are draft-eligibles, which I doubt we'll see happen anyway. Boldy and Caufield might actually also belong here over guys like Kruse, Guttman, Hutsko, Madden. I'll leave them out for now, but they belong here on talent level. If Turcotte gets himself healthy, I think I'd have him in this team.
Wow no Miller? YIKES

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Goaltending update/question:

Keyser has been fantastic with his .930 sv pct for Oshawa (OHL), and Knight has been great too at .924 for the USNTDP (USHL). Cayden Primeau sits at .915 (NU, NCAA), and from my viewings he's been mostly ok throughout the year, with a couple of spectacular performances (he looked really good during a 11/16 shutout vs. Vermont).

My question is, does anyone expect Knight or Keyser to have the inside track at this point despite Keyser being a late bloomer and Knight being 17? Not sure if people have been watching their performances either and has strong feelings towards a player.

I think Keyser will be third. Knight or Primeau for the starting spot. I think Primeau will start out as the starter going into the exhibition games, and whoever plays better up into the knockout round will start the important games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Keyser will be third. Knight or Primeau for the starting spot. I think Primeau will start out as the starter going into the exhibition games, and whoever plays better up into the knockout round will start the important games.

that makes sense, I know Primeau's assistant coach at Northeastern is one of the coaches for Team USA so he will have a good idea of what Primeau can do. I've watched a lot of their games this year, he hasn't been bad but he doesn't seem as sharp as last year although when you have the top line in the entire NCAA racking up goals that's got to help take the pressure off. As a Hab fan I'm hoping Primeau gets the nod and does well but wouldn't be shocked if he's not the starter by the end.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
that makes sense, I know Primeau's assistant coach at Northeastern is one of the coaches for Team USA so he will have a good idea of what Primeau can do. I've watched a lot of their games this year, he hasn't been bad but he doesn't seem as sharp as last year although when you have the top line in the entire NCAA racking up goals that's got to help take the pressure off. As a Hab fan I'm hoping Primeau gets the nod and does well but wouldn't be shocked if he's not the starter by the end.

I prefer Knight because I think when you have a prospect of that caliber, you should give him every chance to showcase himself. He’s not getting this handed to him either. He’s great wherever he plays. I think Knight is the best American goalie prospect in recent memory. He might be the best non-Vasilevskiy goalie prospect in recent memory.

Primeau is very reliable and should be one of the better goalies at the tournament. I don’t think it’d be a bad decision to go with him instead of Knight, even if I prefer Knight. It would be understandable, and he’s more than capable of leading the team to the WJC title. Goaltending is not an issue for the USA going into the tournament. There are a number of good options.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tyler Madden is definitely playing like he's going to force USAH to invite him to camp. Good to see some more bottom 6 guys emerge. Mismash has also picked it up as of late.
Sasha Chmelvski has really turned it on of late as well. he had a slow start for Ott, but has been on fire the past month. he had a real strong summer camp as well, I think he has to be locking in for a spot with this team.

Madden and Drury both have played really really well and should be strong candidates for the bottom 6. Also Cotter now almost a ppg with London has to be a good sign, USA Hockey really liked him as well at camp, likely another invite.

the big question will be - what does USA Hockey do with Wahlstrom and O'Brien??

I think both get invited, O'Brien has had such bad health this year, so he needs to be healthy obviously..but what happens from there?

I don't think Wahlstrom has played that bad this year, he has been pretty snake bitten in the games I have seen as well.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Primeau
Kayser
Knight

Hughes-Gildon
Anderson-Miller
Samuelsson-Samberg
Walsh

Robertson-Hughes-Wahltstrom
Kaliyev-Barratt-Dhooghe
Farabee-Poehling-Chmelevski
Mismash-Norris-Madden
Kruse

Reactions: NewHampshire

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
From an outsider perspective the defense and goaltending looks pretty impressive but the forward core doesn't exactly instill as much fear as in years past. Obviously still some really good players but seems to be a slight step down.

Reactions: cg98

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I hope theyre not afraid to give more of the 01s to make the team. I say this every year, but i'd take a little youth and inexperience when it comes with more skill, as an alternative to taking those few guys on the team that dont really contribute but they were chosen because they were older and seen as safe. If theres any year to trust the underagers its this year. Obviously Hughes, but I really want too see Kaliyev, Boldy, Zegras, Caufield, Turcotte (if healthy) at least get invited to camp, let one of them try and win a spot.

And then each successive year, your returning players will be more experienced

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Primeau
Kayser
Knight

Hughes-Gildon
Anderson-Miller
Samuelsson-Samberg
Walsh

Robertson-Hughes-Wahltstrom
Kaliyev-Barratt-Dhooghe
Farabee-Poehling-Chmelevski
Mismash-Norris-Madden
Kruse

I want Gildon to make this roster as much as anyone - and I think USA will be worse for excluding him (which I still expect), but I wouldn't play him with Hughes. I don't think a pair with two aggressive offensive defensemen looking to jump into the offense at every opportunity would be a great fit.

Using your group I think this is a better mix...

Hughes - Samberg
Anderson - Gildon
Samuelsson - Miller
Walsh

---

Also for other posters concerned about L/R defensemen - Gildon has played RD for the last two seasons as UNH has only one RHD on their roster. Playing on the right side would not be an issue for him...

Reactions: AmericanDream

ClarkHislopCox

Jan 14, 2014
Vermont
The "POOR TEAM - UNH (which) stinks", who nabbed 3 points last weekend against #19 Miami and just tied #10 Providence down at Schneider Arena, has a new head coach in Mike Souza. Here's what Max Gildon recently said:
"Being solid in the defensive zone but not losing that offensive spark. Coach Souza and the addition of coach Jeff Guiliano are really starting to help me out with that and it’s been awesome."
I've been in the arenas for 6 of his games this season and watched the other 7 online. Gildon just made a key defensive play to preserve the 1-1 tie with #10 Providence. I think he'll get invited to the USA camps in Washington and British Columbia. From there, it's up to him to show how much he's developed.
His obvious strengths are skating, carrying the puck through all three zones, anticipation, passing and shooting. He's improving in the defensive zone, using his reach and puck control to break up plays. He occasionally turns the puck over leading to rushes by opponents. If he can eliminate this during camp, I think he could make the final roster.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Gildon also being a USNDP alumn should add in his quest to get invited...he really should at least get a shot at camp, but there is a lot of solid dmen this year, so who knows which way they go..

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
From an outsider perspective the defense and goaltending looks pretty impressive but the forward core doesn't exactly instill as much fear as in years past. Obviously still some really good players but seems to be a slight step down.

Hughes , Barratt, Poehling , Norris at Center I'd say is at least as deep as any other years. Three bonafide college stars and the eventual 1st overall pick. Hard for any country to top that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad