WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
On the eve of the camp roster announcement, here are the changes I'd make to my projection from 3+ weeks ago:

Forwards
  • Additions:
    • Tyler Madden - He's had a very good start to his NCAA career with Northeastern and has the skating that USAH loves in the bottom six, while having enough skill to provide some offense as well. Adding one forward based on the reports that 29 players will be at camp and I only had 28 on my initial projection.
  • Removals:
    • None - I don't expect Kaliyev to actually make the camp roster as an underager playing in the OHL, but I'll leave him nonetheless as he deserves a look. I fully expect someone like Paul Cotter, Brandon Kruse, Ivan Lodnia, or Cole Coskey instead.
Defense
  • Additions:
    • None - There are some players (Wyatte Wylie, Jack St. Ivany, Marc Del Gaizo) I'd be intrigued to see get a look at camp, mostly because I'm interested to see how they'd do and whether they'd surprise enough to get in contention. That said, I really like my list of 10 players already though and the defensive options are really deep this year. I fully expect USAH to force Phil Kemp on us even though they don't need a pure shutdown guy with no offense given there are other players that will be on the team just as adept at the defensive aspects while contributing offensively, but it's their M.O.
  • Removals:
    • None - I really like my list.
Goalies
  • Additions:
    • Kyle Keyser - He deserves to be here with the OHL season he's had. The only reason I didn't have him on my prior list is I figure USAH would give the starting role to either Primeau or Knight, and I'm not a fan of having a goalie that can't return next year at the tournament to watch and learn, which is why I opted for Wolf. But I hope he's here if the staff gives Keyser the chance to earn the starting role - which he's certainly earned.
  • Removals:
    • Dustin Wolf - I like him a lot and would have no issues with him being here as well to start the formation of a dynamic duo with Spencer Knight for the next 3 WJCs, but he may need to wait until next year.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
On the eve of the camp roster announcement, here are the changes I'd make to my projection from 3+ weeks ago:

Forwards
  • Additions:
    • Tyler Madden - He's had a very good start to his NCAA career with Northeastern and has the skating that USAH loves in the bottom six, while having enough skill to provide some offense as well. Adding one forward based on the reports that 29 players will be at camp and I only had 28 on my initial projection.
  • Removals:
    • None - I don't expect Kaliyev to actually make the camp roster as an underager playing in the OHL, but I'll leave him nonetheless as he deserves a look. I fully expect someone like Paul Cotter, Brandon Kruse, Ivan Lodnia, or Cole Coskey instead.
Defense
  • Additions:
    • None - There are some players (Wyatte Wylie, Jack St. Ivany, Marc Del Gaizo) I'd be intrigued to see get a look at camp, mostly because I'm interested to see how they'd do and whether they'd surprise enough to get in contention. That said, I really like my list of 10 players already though and the defensive options are really deep this year. I fully expect USAH to force Phil Kemp on us even though they don't need a pure shutdown guy with no offense given there are other players that will be on the team just as adept at the defensive aspects while contributing offensively, but it's their M.O.
  • Removals:
    • None - I really like my list.
Goalies
  • Additions:
    • Kyle Keyser - He deserves to be here with the OHL season he's had. The only reason I didn't have him on my prior list is I figure USAH would give the starting role to either Primeau or Knight, and I'm not a fan of having a goalie that can't return next year at the tournament to watch and learn, which is why I opted for Wolf. But I hope he's here if the staff gives Keyser the chance to earn the starting role - which he's certainly earned.
  • Removals:
    • Dustin Wolf - I like him a lot and would have no issues with him being here as well to start the formation of a dynamic duo with Spencer Knight for the next 3 WJCs, but he may need to wait until next year.

Keyser's been the best goalie in the OHL this season (better than Michael DiPietro and Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen) but I havent seen him on very many "USA predictions" for the WJ team, I've been surprised. Admittedly, I never watch Primeau or Knight, but I have a hard time believing there are very many, if any, U21 goalies more capable of absolutely dominating for a 2 week stretch more than Kyle Keyser is

Reactions: LDN

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Keyser's been the best goalie in the OHL this season (better than Michael DiPietro and Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen) but I havent seen him on very many "USA predictions" for the WJ team, I've been surprised. Admittedly, I never watch Primeau or Knight, but I have a hard time believing there are very many, if any, U21 goalies more capable of absolutely dominating for a 2 week stretch more than Kyle Keyser is
I watched Keyser play in his last game and he looks excellent...announcers couldn't stop saying that Oshawa would be near the bottom if it wasn't for him..that is pretty crazy to hear.

I am not sold on Primeau, saw him a few the past few weeks, he has been okay so I am fine with Keyser and Knight battling it out for #1 with Primeau being #3...

why you haven't heard more about Keyser, some of us have had him on their lists at times, but with USA Hockey when it comes to CHL kids it is a 50/50 shot they are going to give them that fair shake vs kids playing at the NCAA level....especially a kid like Keyser that did NOT go through the USNDP.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I watched Keyser play in his last game and he looks excellent...announcers couldn't stop saying that Oshawa would be near the bottom if it wasn't for him..that is pretty crazy to hear.

I am not sold on Primeau, saw him a few the past few weeks, he has been okay so I am fine with Keyser and Knight battling it out for #1 with Primeau being #3...

why you haven't heard more about Keyser, some of us have had him on their lists at times, but with USA Hockey when it comes to CHL kids it is a 50/50 shot they are going to give them that fair shake vs kids playing at the NCAA level....especially a kid like Keyser that did NOT go through the USNDP.

They should’ve learned their lesson from Tyler Parsons to stop that “if you didn’t go NTDP then screw you” nonsense!

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
seems like not a lot of CHL flavour in these predictions

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
seems like not a lot of CHL flavour in these predictions
it really isn't that deep of a CHL contingent like years past - but still will be well represented....Bode Wilde and Blade Jenkins have done well for Saginaw and both should get a look....Kaliyev obviously in Hamilton..Joey Keane and Keyser already discussed here..Jason Robertson and Sasha Chmelevski as a lock IMO...a few WHL kids like McGrew and Toporowski, but both have little chance here...Cotter now in London could get an invite and Regula still could as well.....so overall it is a solid group of kids but not a ton of options from the CHL this year..Lodnia didn't do much at the summer camp so doubtful he gets another look...

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Just saw the camp roster, there are some big head scratchers. No Reilly Walsh is the biggest surprise for me. Hughes and Knight are the only '01s.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Just saw the camp roster, there are some big head scratchers. No Reilly Walsh is the biggest surprise for me. Hughes and Knight are the only '01s.
not even inviting 01s like Kaliyev Zegras or York is just stupid. Invite them to camp, give them a chance. USA Hockey annoys me so much sometimes. From the grit lovefest of the WC team, to the inexplicable snubs of some of our best junior players like Connor and Debrincat, its so frustrating at times.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Forwards - Barratt, Cates, Chmelevski, Cockerill, Coskey, Dhooghe, Drury, Farabee, Hughes, Madden, Norris, O'Brien, Poehling, Robertson, Wahlstrom, Walker

Defense - Anderson, Callahan, Emberson, Hughes, Keane, Kemp, Miller, Samberg, Samuelsson, St. Ivany

Goalies - Keyser, Knight, Primeau

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
“USA Hockey selection camp will open at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett, Washington, from Dec. 15-17, and continue at Sandman Centre in Kamloops, British Columbia, Dec. 18-20.

The U.S. National Junior Team will compete in exhibition games against RUS at Sandman Centre on Dec. 20 and CZE at George Preston Recreation Centre in Langley, B.C., on Dec. 22.‘

Some good pre-tourney warm up games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad