WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Goalies have played well. Difficult choices for coaches.

Cyaden Primeau (Northeastern) 8G SVS%91,1
Spencer Knight (NTPD) 3G SVS%91,4 (USHL)
Adam Scheel (Norh Dakota) 6G SVS%92,3
Keith Petruzelli (Quinnipiac) 6G SVS%90,7
Kyle Keyser (Oshawa Generals) 11G SVS%93,5
Dustin Wolf (Everett Silvertips) 17G SVS%92,4

I would still choose Primeau, Knight and Keyser.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Defense Core: Red = Locks
Left side --- Right Side
Hughes ---- Anderson
Samberg ----
_______
_______ ---- _______
_________

So you have quite a few guys competing for essentially 4 spots.
Lefties
Miller
Samuelsson
York
Rathbone

Righties

Regula
Emberson
Wilde
Reilly
Walsh

Yes there is more, but this is off the top of my head and I think could be the favorites.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Left side --- Right Side
Hughes ---- Anderson
Samberg ----
_______
_______ ---- _______
_________

Lefties
Miller
Samuelsson
York
Rathbone

Righties

Regula
Emberson
Wilde
Reilly
Walsh

Yes there is more, but this is off the top of my head and these are most likely the favorites.
No Warren or McCarthy?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Left side --- Right Side
Hughes ---- Anderson
Samberg ----
_______
_______ ---- _______
_________

Lefties
Miller
Samuelsson
York
Rathbone

Righties

Regula
Emberson
Wilde
Reilly
Walsh

Yes there is more, but this is off the top of my head and these are most likely the favorites.

Keane was at the Summer training camp, and did well. He's also having a good season. I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
anyone know if there will be a camp or exhibition games with US team before the next world Jrs? With the games in BC, would be cool if there was some exhibition games in WA.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
We're getting close (~4 weeks) from the preliminary roster announcement, so I figured I'd toss out an early projected camp roster that will surely be wrong, but fun nonetheless. I'll probably make some slight adjustments as the next 3-4 weeks will change things, but here's a guess based on the same roster breakdown (15,10,3) as last year's preliminary roster:

Forwards (x15):

Evan Barratt
Noah Cates
Sasha Chmelevski
Jack Drury
Joel Farabee
Cole Guttman
Jack Hughes
Arthur Kaliyev
Grant Mismash
Josh Norris
Jay O'Brien
Ryan Poehling
Jason Robertson
Oliver Wahlstrom
Trevor Zegras

Defenseman (x10):

Mikey Anderson
Quinn Hughes
Joey Keane
K'Andre Miller
Ben Mirageas
Jack Rathbone
Dylan Samberg
Mattias Samuelsson
Reilly Walsh
Bode Wilde

Goalies (x3):

Spencer Knight
Cayden Primeau
Dustin Wolf
Notes:
  • Overall
    • Losing Tkachuk obviously doesn't help, but my outlook on the team from the summer camp hasn't really changed: In single elimination tournaments anything can happen, but it'll be a disappointment if this team isn't in the gold medal game and it would be an embarrassment if they don't medal at all.
  • Brady Tkachuk
    • Obviously a huge loss. He would have been a dominant physical force at this tournament a la Jordan Greenway at the 2017 tournament and likely would have put up a ton of points too. Tkachuk is a smaller Greenway except he's more skilled, better at nearly everything, and meaner too. He's doing really well with Ottawa though, so it's good to know he's gone because he was ready for the next level. We should want to lose top players to the NHL from our team each year, so this is a good thing and the next hurdle USAH needs to prove it can overcome on a yearly basis.
  • Forwards
    • Outside of Tkachuk, the only other forward I don't have on my camp roster from my projected team from the summer camp is Paul Cotter. He's off to a really, really slow start with Western Michigan as an old freshman and I'm not a big fan of bringing in players that are struggling to find their footing and expecting them to succeed here. On the other hand, I thought a guy like Barratt was invisible at the summer camp, but you can't ignore his season thus far.
    • Interested to see if any of the early summer camp cuts (Cole Coskey, Ivan Lodnia, Brandon Kruse, Jake McGrew) have done enough to get another look, especially with a guy like Cotter sputtering and Mismash having a pedestrian start?
    • I have 3 2001s up front at the camp. Obviously Hughes is a lock, and while I don't expect there to really be 3 2001s, it's hard to ignore the starts that Kaliyev and Zegras have had this year. I always expected at least 1 or 2 more underagers to get in the conversation - I thought it would be Cole Caufield and/or Alex Turcotte - but Caufield had a slow start and Turcotte has been injured most of the year. Will USAH overlook age?
    • Outside of the 2001s, Cole Guttman is my surprise forward pick. He's had a really strong start to his NCAA career with Denver.
    • Jay O'Brien should be on the team...if he's healthy. He was out with an injury, returned for one game where he was injured again after a dirty hit to the head.
    • Wahlstrom should make the team, but I'm not expecting much of anything come tournament time. He was invisible at the summer camp and he's not doing well in the NCAA. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bail on Boston College during the season for the QMJHL.
  • Defense
    • Really deep group. Should be a strength of the team. I wouldn't have a problem with any of the 10 guys on my list making the team.
    • Miller missed the summer camp with an injury and he was always likely to get himself back in contention, but he's been very good to start his NCAA career. Excited to see how he does at camp.
    • I think Wilde has done enough to get a look for the roster, although I'm not sure he's a strong contender for the team yet.
    • Phil Kemp and Matt Anderson are the only d-men that survived the summer camp that I don't think should garner a tryout. Kemp's good at what he does, but a pure defensive defenseman with no offensive skills isn't necessary when you have guys like Samuelsson, Samberg, and Mikey Anderson. And if you don't want Kemp, do you bother with Matt Anderson?
    • Jack Rathbone is my surprise pick on the backend. It had been Regula for quite awhile, but he hasn't risen to the challenge. Rathbone has average size, but he's an elite skater with offensive talent, and USAH has done well plucking these types out of obscurity in this tournament.
  • Goalies
    • The question is who takes the reins as the number one? I get the sense we'll see goalies splitting the role until one grabs the role or one falters.
    • There are 4 goalies that deserve an invite. Who gets left out? I have Keyser right now as the odd man out as I'm not a fan of bringing multiple goalies that will age out of the tournament this year, especially if you don't expect them all to play.
    • Primeau and Knight should be here, but if the staff is confident that Primeau and/or Knight will carry the load, I hope they take Wolf as he's a fantastic underager, just like Knight. If they have concerns about Primeau, I'd take Kyle Keyser instead of Wolf.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
As much as I would love Wilde to make it, my gut says that if he wasn't invited during the summer, he won't be making the team. Hopefully I am wrong

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I called out Paul Cotter's disappointing start to the season with Western Michigan as why I didn't think he was in contention. Suffice to say he wasn't happy with it either as the reports are he's left WMU to sign with the London Knights.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I called out Paul Cotter's disappointing start to the season with Western Michigan as why I didn't think he was in contention. Suffice to say he wasn't happy with it either as the reports are he's left WMU to sign with the London Knights.
what we learned from this - Cotter is on HF, and follows Bonney!!!

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Left side --- Right Side
Hughes ---- Anderson
Samberg ----
_______
_______ ---- _______
_________

Lefties
Miller
Samuelsson
York
Rathbone

Righties

Regula
Emberson
Wilde
Reilly
Walsh

Yes there is more, but this is off the top of my head and I think could be the favorites.

Flyers draft pick right-handed defenseman, Wyatte Wylie, from the WHL's Everett Silvertips, should get a mention. 19 pts in 20 games this year. A very solid player. I was mildly surprised he didn't get an invite this summer. He might be a little overlooked by USA Hockey because he's a native northwest kid playing in the Dub.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Flyers draft pick right-handed defenseman, Wyatte Wylie, from the WHL's Everett Silvertips, should get a mention. 19 pts in 20 games this year. A very solid player. I was mildly surprised he didn't get an invite this summer. He might be a little overlooked by USA Hockey because he's a native northwest kid playing in the Dub.

I wanted to see him at summer camp since I know so little about his game. You'd think as an RHD he'd get plenty of consideration given the lack of available RHDs, so we'll see.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
You have to think Reilly Walsh makes this team given his strength on the PP and how close he came last year. RHD with a cannon from the point. Can they mask his weakness in cap control?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Oh my gosh watching Rathbone skate along with his puck skilks is unreal!

USA would be soooo entertaining to watch having him and Hughes on the back end.

Where did Rathbone come from ? Did not see him om USA WJC radar until most recently

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Robertson-Poehling-Barratt
Kaliyev-Hughes-Hutsko
Zegras-Norris-Guttman
Farabee-Drury-Kruse
Madden

Hughes-Keane
Samuelsson-Samberg
Anderson-Walsh
Wilde

Knight
Primeau
Keyser

I like our defense and goalies. Forwards look awful. Good down the middle, but not much on the wings, unless you start using a bunch of draft-eligibles. 3 of the 13 are draft-eligibles, which I doubt we'll see happen anyway. Boldy and Caufield might actually also belong here over guys like Kruse, Guttman, Hutsko, Madden. I'll leave them out for now, but they belong here on talent level. If Turcotte gets himself healthy, I think I'd have him in this team.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Robertson-Poehling-Barratt
Kaliyev-Hughes-Hutsko
Zegras-Norris-Guttman
Farabee-Drury-Kruse
Madden

Hughes-Keane
Samuelsson-Samberg
Anderson-Walsh
Wilde

Knight
Primeau
Keyser

I like our defense and goalies. Forwards look awful. Good down the middle, but not much on the wings, unless you start using a bunch of draft-eligibles. 3 of the 13 are draft-eligibles, which I doubt we'll see happen anyway. Boldy and Caufield might actually also belong here over guys like Kruse, Guttman, Hutsko, Madden. I'll leave them out for now, but they belong here on talent level. If Turcotte gets himself healthy, I think I'd have him in this team.

You think Zegras has a shot?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
What about Max Gildon? He has great numbers on a poor NCAA team and he was good for team USA in the U18 tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad