Fiala - Hischier - Praplan
Hofmann - Kurashev - Ambühl
Hollenstein - Fuchs - Riat
Bertaggia - Bertschy - Rod

Not dressed: Descloux, Loeffel, Müller, Walser

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Hischier (3x), Kurashev, Ambühl and Hofmann score on a Berra-shutout (6-0). France not much of an opponent. Difficult to judge anyone based on this game.

But:
Kurashev could have an advantage over Fuchs, Müller and Walser. Haas, Hischier and Bertschy/Rod the other centers.
On D a lot will change. Fora and Frick seems to be set. Moser and Marti had a good game but it's a long way for them. Rathgeb had some good offensive plays but also some defensive brainfarts which are costly when you play Russia. Kreis was very solid, maybe a guy you want to have around to step in in case of injuries. Glauser had a good game, too, better than Genazzi. But we're still missing our potential Top-4 here, with Kukan still possible a Top-5.

On offence we're closer to the final team. Moser, Haas and Scherwey have to be integrated. Maybe Suri or Martschini but they're far from set. And keep a spot open for Nino.
Praplan didn't look like the solution beside Fiala/Hischier. Bertaggia plays surprisingly good and is making a stand. Why not. Riat probably doesn't have a spot. And Praplan has to show more, too.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I agree with most of your points, too bad France doesn't have a better team, it would have been better to have them as first opponent and play Russia now.

Difficult to comment about the defensmen, France didn't threaten enough to judge defensive play. Not convinced by Rathgeb and Genazzi, Fora the best D again.

The fast skaters had a field day against France's slow defensemen, especially the Hofmann - Kurashev - Ambühl line, as well as Bertschy and Bertaggia. On the other hand, there wasn't enough presence around the net, especially in the first period. I thought Praplan had a slow start but got better in the third period, although France getting tired made things easier late in the game. And Fischer said it's top 6 or bust for Kurashev, so it's better to wait for a stronger opponent that will challenge him defensively to evaluate his chances to make the team.

Hopefully France can play better tomorrow, but I doubt they can be much better with their current roster. Players like Rech, Manavian, Fleury or Guttig are fine in lesser roles, but aren't good enough to be difference makers.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Nice that Nico could put on a little show with so many Kids in the stands idolizing him. But like you said France was pretty bad so not much valubale information to take out of this one.

Kurashev had some turnovers but impressed with good vision and showed his skill on that breakaway goal. I liked Bertschy too, he showed some good hands and great speed on several plays. Ambühl should still be good enough to play at the WC level but maybe not in the top 6 anymore...

Has Moser actually confirmed he will be at the tournament? I thought he was still unsure because his wife is expecting a child around that time.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The child was born begin of April, Moser said after the finals that he plans to come if everything works as planned.

Bertschy is a lock imho, very versatile player who can play wing or center, can play in an offensive or a defensive role, can play Powerplay or boxplay. Works hard each shift and also a really good skater. It's worth so much to have such a player around, even if he'd slip out of the lineup once.

Yeah, Ambühl gets older, but he's still fast and his experience is worth so much.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Ok thanks I probably mixed something up then. Moser definitley brings some much needed size to the table at F, especially around the net. Nico is very good at deflections but still gets pushed around in the slot quite a bit. So Moser should be a good weapon on that front, especially since Nino might not come this year.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Ambühl will make it, he can be efficient in so many roles that there should be a spot for him. Difficult to say how good Bertschy and Hollenstein really are, they did well today but were disappointing last week. Right now I would say that Müller, Walser, Fuchs and Riat are the most likely to be cut after tomorrow's game. I could also see Fischer delay the decision and go with a large group of forward for the games against Latvia.

Any news about Siegenthaler? Washington has been out for a few days and he didn't play in Hershey's last game.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I read that Siegenthaler is still in Washington today and doesn't know if he has to go to Hershey. They play tomorrow.

Josi, Diaz, Weber, Untersander, Kukan, Siegenthaler would be an amazing Top-6. And still possible.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So according to blick.ch Untersander will miss the WC because he's still taking drugs. Genoni, Moser, Haas and Scherwey confirmed from the SCB.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I see, we've all come to the same conclusions about yesterday's game.

This match wasn't representing international hockey regarding space and physical game, more like a NLA game.
As the rest of the Ds were really solid, Rathgeb was clearly nervous, out of rhythm and had a few hickups on the D-side. It has gotten better during the game though. Showed a few glimpses of his offensiv and rovering potential. And that he can throw the body around if needed.
Definitely needs to improve his game to make the final team.
But Im curious, how he'd look against tougher physical forechecking in comparsion to smaller guys like Glauser or Kreis. Latvia could be a bigger test physically.

Kurashev was refreshing, and showed that he's already capable to handle lesser competition. Could be an option as 13th/14th forward, and then shuffle him in against smaller nations in an offensive role?
But if they keep a spot open for Nino, and there's only one player in spare, they probably have better options.

I go with stv11 about the 4 forwards on the hot seat.

It's probably a smart decision by Untersander to skip the WHC this year. It's still all too risky. And he could be an important piece next year at home.

Fortunately the quality on the defensive right side is all there this year to compensate the loss.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I don't think he declined a nomination for the U-18's. I mean he still played for the U18 team at the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August. I also think he said in an Interview that he will likely play for Switzerland that summer, but don't hold me on that one as I am not 100% sure. I also don't think the federation saw the nation change comming, if they did, they would probably have locked him up at the U18's.

It was a quote from an interview from the LHC-home page... I posted it in here:)

If an ordinary fan is aware of the risky situation, the SIHF should be as well IMO. Looking at his talent and his status as a dual citizen with roots in the biggest, most tempting hockeyprogram, they might should have given him the special treatment.
I mean, he wasn't far off the team qualitywise anyway. The 00er forward group was pretty deep, but even then as a 02er he was already considered as a better player than any 01er. Replacing the 13th forward with the best underager wouldn't have been a big thing.

I don't think that is the case. Maybe I am overanalysing here but from all the media quotes from Fischer it comes accross like something happened between the two and Fischer seems to harbor some sort of discontent against Malgin. Even if he just disliked him as a player in 2017 it would be unreasonable to not let him come at least to camp. Its also not like Malgin didn't improve at all the last two years. I mean just look at what Andrighetto is able to do at a WC and Malgin is arguably a slightly better NHL player. Even if he doesn't fit the coaches system or philosophy 100% I just don't think you can just pass on a player with that kind of skillset if hes available..

What I meant, is: it's easier to keep an NHL player off the team from the begining for disiplinary reasons than to cut him during camp. As this could raise questionmarks wether his acctual game isn't good enough. Which further could influence his market value in NA, something the lack of dedication to play for your home nation wouldn't cause.

Beside that, Malgin is a fine player, a pleasure to watch, when he plays good. And on quality alone, he certainly should make the team.

I really hope you are right with this theory but it wouldn't shine the best light on our Coaches Social skills. Its extremely easy for a player to take a situation like this the wrong way and a major rift could be created.

Yep, it would be the the butcher methods to handle players a la Christian Wohlwend. Not something Fischer is known for.

Overall i think the hole Situation was mostly Fischer trying to set an example that he is not giving NHL players any special treatment. From some more articles I gatherd that Malgin apparently did not come tho the National Teams prospects camp last summer. Maybe he felt disrespected that Malgin did not deem the camp important enough. So Fischer probably thinks he can't maintain some sort of authority towards the younger NHL guys with decisions like this. Lets not forget that some of those players (not Malgin though, not yet at least) already accomplished more in their early twenties than Fischer in his whole career. Im not sure if he could pull something like that with Hischier or Meier though, not without a major backlash at least.

With the skipping of the whole prospect camp instead of just the kick-off-day, things changed slightly.
Nevertheless, I've written before, with Malgin's history and merits, there would have been smarter ways to handle this situation for Fischer. I hope, he'll learn from it for the future.

Besides, I think, Fischer is a very accomplished player, a legend in the NLA, a longtime Nationalteam member, with NHL and KHL experience. And a good charakter to go with it.

I really like him as a coachand communicator as well, that's why I find this situation with Malgin really irritating.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
It's probably a smart decision by Untersander to skip the WHC this year. It's still all too risky. And he could be an important piece next year at home.

Fortunately the quality on the defensive right side is all there this year to compensate the loss.

Yeah, sounds sensible. However, a loss re. the offensive capabilities of Team Switzerland defense.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Swap of Hofmann and Fiala tonight. Walser replaces Bertschy on the 4th line, Müller dressed as 13th forward.

Loeffel instead of Marti on defense. Mayer starting and Descloux backup.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Lineup for today:

Mayer (Descloux)
Genazzi - Loeffel
Kreis - Glauser
Frick - Fora
Moser - Rathgeb

Hofmann - Hischier - Praplan
Fiala - Kurashev - Ambühl
Hollenstein - Fuchs - Riat
Bertaggia - Walser - Rod
Müller

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Terrible game today. France deserves credit for making the right adjustments but there's no excuse for allowing 4 goals against such a limited opponent, but they just played simpler and smarter hockey. The lack of cohesion within the team is worrying, as is the fact that they didn't adjust the system as the game went on.

Fiala and Praplan need to be a lot better, and Hollenstein was maybe the most disappointing player. Hofmann and Ambühl did ok but Kurashev wasn't as visible as yesterday. Good game by Rod, and I thought that Bertaggia and Müller did their job well. The defense is worrying, Loeffel, Rathgeb and Kreis had a particularly poor game.

I'm not sure who will be cut, some of the most likely forwards like Müller or Bertaggia are exceeding expectations while some bigger names like Hollenstein dissapoint, and Fischer is not afraid to take unexpected decisions. On defense, it all depends on whether Josi and Weber join next week already, but only Fora and Frick have been convincing so far. I can see Mayer being dropped for Genoni as Fischer has always taken a young 3rd goalie, and I think that Descloux played better in both of the games they shared.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer expects Josi&Weber on Tuesday.

So we can add:
1G, 3D, 3-5F (3 SCB plus eventually Suri and/or Martschini).

I expect one goalie to be cut (probably Mayer), 3 D and 3 F (maybe 2 Centers?).

Walser and Müller played ok, but they risk of getting cut. Fuchs is clearly better, Kurashev was not very visible today but also didn't play bad. Bertaggia does have a shot I think. Riat had a solid game today also.

On D Frick & Fora are set, together with the 3 coming. Loeffel was not good in every aspect of the game, defensive mistakes, inaccurate passes, his shots were mainly blocked. Rathgeb had a smaller role than yesterday, he just plays too risky. Moser was again ok, he doesn't look out of place and I'd give him another week and watch him play vs. Latvia. Glauser was not very visible today which isn't a bad thing.
I'd cut Loeffel, Rathgeb, Kreis.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
I wondering why Hollenstein still getting invitations to the National Team. This guy should play Swiss League with Chloote.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
According to hockeyfans.ch who quotes RSI (couldn't find the original), Diaz and Martschini are the only Zug players who will come. I guess Suri hasn't fully recovered from the Almqvist hit, but Schlumpf would have been nice considering the current state of the defense.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
D5Pgc68XoAAchSJ.jpg:large

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So out are:

Descloux; Rathgeb and Marti; Samuel Walser, Jason Fuchs. Did I miss somebody?

So I guess we'll see 4 cuts by the end of the week, 2D and 2 F. And he probably will keep spots open for Kukan, Nino and Andrighetto as long as possible.

Edit: Ah, Siegenthaler got a call, but the Caps didn't allow him to join because of an injury.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Surprised Mayer was picked above Descloux considering their performances and Fischer's habit of giving the 3rd goalie spot to young players, but it shouldn't matter. Rathgeb makes sense, he was really disappointing against France, but I would have taken Marti above at least Loeffel and Kreis, even though I'm far from a fan. Fuchs wasn't bad, but no other forward was an obvious cut.

Solid additions considering that the team lacked top 4 defenders, presence in front of the net and offensive depth. Hofmann, Ambühl and Haas should provide reliable secondary scoring, Rod and Bertschy could compose a reliable fourth line and I think that Fora is ready for top four minutes. What we miss is linemates for Hischier and depth on defense, hopefully Fiala can do better and maybe Moser is the right solution for the other spot. Things are more complicated on defense, I don't see any player on the current roster capable of stepping up. Kukan seems to be the only solution.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Like some others, I do also worry about the line composition, especially on the Hischier line. Fiala and especially Praplan seem way off their game. And the other candidatets are either lacking the skill or speed (Hoffmann) to keep up with him. Hopefully Moser will work out, if not I wouldn't mind trying out Kurashev on his wing. They played togehter a lot in Juniors, so there is probably enough chemistry.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It's a little weird that Latvia and Switzerland are facing each other *twice* just a week before quite possibly the QF-decider-match between the two sides.

I wonder if that will in any way affect the lines, etc.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Like some others, I do also worry about the line composition, especially on the Hischier line. Fiala and especially Praplan seem way off their game. And the other candidatets are either lacking the skill or speed (Hoffmann) to keep up with him. Hopefully Moser will work out, if not I wouldn't mind trying out Kurashev on his wing. They played togehter a lot in Juniors, so there is probably enough chemistry.

If Ghetto and Nino are able to join, would they fit as linemates?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
If Ghetto and Nino are able to join, would they fit as linemates?

I feel like both could do potentially well with Hischier. Im really hopping for Nino though as he is the better goalscorer and complemented Aho (who is a similar type of player as Hischier in my opinion) really well after the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad