WC: 2019 - Team Switzerland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
No Brunner or Fuchs? This is strange after the playoffs their line had. And that's another potential center missing out, so we're reduced to Hischier, Corvi, Walser, Rod, Ambühl, and possibly Haas.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, that's what they say.

I don't know how accurate this article is. But normally blickonline is well informed. I guess we'll see this weekend.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Tonight's team. Interesting to see Hollenstein with Corvi, and the Hofmann - Müller - Bertschy line looks good. Also interesting that Rod plays on the wing.

Berra (Descloux)

Genazzi -Loeffel
Guerra - Glauser
Frick - Fora
Marti

Hollenstein - Corvi - Bachofner
Hofmann - Müller - Bertschy
Bertaggia - Walser - Rod
Prassl - Baltisberger

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Some thoughts on the first exhibition game:

- Switzerland played very passively in the defensive zone and it worked pretty well. Russia had some long stretch of possession in the offensive zone but few shots from dangerous position to show for it, the first goal was the only time a player was open in the slot when playing 5 on 5.
- Breakouts were good, the defensemen made a good job carrying the puck forward and passing it out of the defensive zone.
- Switzerland made a poor job with the puck in the neutral and offensive zone, most scoring chances came off turnovers.
- The passive approach didn't work well on the PK, that's where Russia got most of its dangerous shots.
- The only PP was played well by the Corvi - Genazzi - Loeffel triangle, but was wasted by a blocked shot by Genazzi, and the 2nd unit couldn't get anything going

Berra could have done better, the 4th goal is on him and he let some bad rebounds. I liked what the defenders showed. Frick - Fora was the best pair, they were in WC form already. Guerra and Glauser did their job, Loeffel had a few good breakouts and I was pleasantly surprised by Marti, who did a good job keeping up with the play in the defensive zone, although his breakout passes weren't great. Genazzi is the only one I didn't like, didn't do much on offense and lost too many pucks.

At forward, the most dangerous player was Corvi, but he didn't get much help. Hollenstein was very disappointing, he couldn't create anything and clumsily lost the puck for the last goal. Bertschy didn't do much, Hofmann had some speed burst in the third period but couldn't go anywhere, and Bachofner had two incredibly stupid penalties. On the bright side, Prassl and Baltisberger had some strong board play, and Bertaggia was suprisingly good, and not only because of the goals, but he benefited from Russia's lack of physicality.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I agree on most points. Glauser didn't look good on the first goal. Otherwise the defence was ok. Hollenstein needs to get better if he wants to make the team. Corvi showed from time to time his magic but failed to create much doing so. Bertschy was nearly invisible.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I agree on most points. Glauser didn't look good on the first goal. Otherwise the defence was ok. Hollenstein needs to get better if he wants to make the team. Corvi showed from time to time his magic but failed to create much doing so. Bertschy was nearly invisible.

Thanks for that, I had a bad stream, couldn't figure which defensive pair was on the ice for the goal.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Pretty much the same lineup today, except that Hofmann plays with Corvi and Hollenstein, Rod with Bertschy and Müller, and Baltisberger with Walser and Bertaggia. Mayer starting.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
So both Nashville and Carolina are on the brink of getting thrown out of the playoffs. I usually dont root against swiss players in the playoffs but I don't think either team is good enough to go on a cup run this year anyway. So Josi, Niederreiter and even Weber would be a huge upgrade to the National Team and I feel like they really need it, with so many players not coming from the NLA.

Last edited:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
So both Nashville and Carolina are on the brink of getting thrown out of the playoffs. I usually dont root against swiss players in the playoffs but I don't think either team is good enough to go on a cup run this year anyway. So Josi, Niederreiter and even Weber would be a huge upgrade to the National Team and I feel like they really need it, with so many players not coming from the NLA.

Majority of silver medal teams from 2013. and 2018. were composed of NLA players:dunno:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Just some thoughts about the 2nd game against Russia: less passive approach than during the 1st game, which led to many more mistakes and scoring chances for Russia. On the other, the team created more offensively.

Fora and Frick had a strong game again, and I liked the Loeffel-Genazzi pair much more than on Thursday. On the other hand, Marti, Guera and Glauser were exposed many times. In goal, I liked Descloux more than Mayer, who let some bad rebounds. Some forwards were much more active, most notably Hollenstein and Hofmann, while Corvi tried a lot but had trouble getting things going. Good game by Rod as well.

I don't mind the losses, that Russian roster is as strong as it get so early in the training camp, but the limited offensive output is a bit worrying, with Corvi, Hollenstein, Bertschy, Hofmann and Rod there is enough talent to score more than 3 goals in two games, especially with all three of them scored by a player with no chance to make it to Slovakia.

Now there's been report that Rathgeb will join the team. If the earlier reports about Kreis, Riat and Praplan are correct, and with Hischier and Ambühl already announced, we'd have 9 defensemen and 15 forwards so I guess a few cuts are likely.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So apart from the already mentioned players, Moser and Fuchs got a call and Fiala comes already (I thought it was announced that he would only come for the Latvia games?). I'm a bit surprised to see Moser get a chance during week 2 when Berni and Karrer didn't get one earlier.

Guerra, Bachofner, Prassl and Baltisberger cut. The first two make sense, but I thought that Prassl and Baltisberger would have deserved a chance to show more. Corvi injured, not sure if he was definitely cut or if there is a chance he returns next week. That would be another blow to the center depth.

Reactions: Swissfan5411

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Majority of silver medal teams from 2013. and 2018. were composed of NLA players:dunno:

Maybe I articulated myself wrong. Yes most of the roster will still consist of NLA players but a few of the best like Richard, Vermin, Suter and maybe Moser wont be avalible due to injury or personal reasons. Because of that it would be even more important to get the NHL players than in other years. Also I dont think you can get a medal without NHL reinforcements at that level anymore. Last year the team was suddendly way more competitive when Meier, Josi and Fiala arrived. And 2013 was sort of a Cindarella story that wont happen again realistically and even that team needed Josi to take the team on his back and drag them into the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: pukovnik

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I think Moser and Fuchs are spontaneous calls due to the injuries of Corvi, Geering and Paschoud. Fuchs is pretty obvious, Moser had an exceptional season, had an error-count of near 0 at the World Juniors. But he's probably not mature enough. Maybe other reasons (injuries, school, etc.) were leading to the nomination of him instead of Berni.

Hopefully Haas is fully healed and able to join the team.

Reactions: Swissfan5411

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
No Brunner or Fuchs? This is strange after the playoffs their line had. And that's another potential center missing out, so we're reduced to Hischier, Corvi, Walser, Rod, Ambühl, and possibly Haas.

Reduced? :huh: Incl. Haas six decent centres, I'd say.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Corvi is out now. And neither Ambühl nor Rod are natural centers. Both showed in the past that they are much more effective on a wing at international level. And Walser is decent, yes. But not more. Haas is urgently needed.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Corvi is out now. And neither Ambühl nor Rod are natural centers. Both showed in the past that they are much more effective on a wing at international level. And Walser is decent, yes. But not more. Haas is urgently needed.

Corvi is out?! Oh damn, that's a blow. :help:
One of my fav players on the team together with Vermin & Ghetto (who aren't coming as well).
And yes, Haas is needed, and Ambühl and Rod have to step up.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There is no official word on Andrighetto yet. It's just been said that Meier, Malgin and Sbisa are not available or not an option.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
There is no official word on Andrighetto yet. It's just been said that Meier, Malgin and Sbisa are not available or not an option.

Would be good to have Ghetto on the team. I thought his effort last year was vital for the team success; his grit and energy made a huge difference. During the course of the tournament, Fischer used him increasingly in important faceoff situations.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I think Moser and Fuchs are spontaneous calls due to the injuries of Corvi, Geering and Paschoud. Fuchs is pretty obvious, Moser had an exceptional season, had an error-count of near 0 at the World Juniors. But he's probably not mature enough. Maybe other reasons (injuries, school, etc.) were leading to the nomination of him instead of Berni.

Hopefully Haas is fully healed and able to join the team.

Moser had an incredible season, we can all agree on that, but I don't expect him to come close to the WC yet. Hopefully he will make the best out of the experience, like Geisser last year. Fuchs make complete sense, I would have taken him even without the injury to Corvi.

Reduced? :huh: Incl. Haas six decent centres, I'd say.

Well, as Jonas said, Rod and Ambühl are wingers who can play center if needed, and both are bottom 6 players. Walser is an ok depth player at best. Hischier - Haas - Ambühl - Walser would be fine, but Haas is far from certain to join the team.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I wonder what the plan with Rathgeb is. He got permission to go altough "his" team plays AHL-playoffs. They wouldn't ask for permission if they weren't sure that he got a place at the final team. Rathgebs potential might be undisputed but he didn't play much this year and he never played a WC.
And with the best possible case we could get Josi, Weber, Diaz, Untersander and even Kukan. But probably Fischer knows more than we know.

I agree on the chances of Moser. But I'm really looking forwared to see him in one or two of these upcoming games.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to this Haas should be ready to play.

And I hope Weber/Josi are healthy. Weber has not played for quite some time.

Edit: Looks like Simon Moser will also travel to Bratislava.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Haas and Moser would be huge, that would save the center depth and add some presence around the net. Regarding Josi and Weber, I prefer to wait for the confirmation, you never know with NHL players.

I was wondering what the forward lines will look like. Who would you play with Hischier? Moser to work around the net? Fiala for the skills? Hofmann for the scoring touch?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Genoni also plans to come, last time he switched teams he declined. So Goalkeeping is again the best we currently have.

Hofmann, Haas and Moser played together in the knockout-round last year and worked pretty well. I think it might be worth a try to keep them together. Trying out Fiala with Hischier also makes sense I guess. Maybe add Praplan for the upcoming friendlies and hope for Nino.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad