WC: 2019 - Team Switzerland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I wasn't such a big fan of the Hofmann-Haas-Moser line last year, if I remember correctly they were together for five games and only scored against France and Finland (all three had special team goals during those games though). Haas and Hofmann being primarly shooters might explain that.

Maybe keep Haas with Moser, and play Hofmann with Rod? He works well with grinders, see Sannitz this season or Lapierre and Lajunen during the playoffs last year.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure that Fischer is again seeking 3 lines with some offensive potential so it might be an option to split these line. Scherwey is also an interesting option to fill a spot in one these 3 lines.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
If Weber, Untersander and Diaz will accept an invitation, we are stacked on RD. Add Rathgeb, Fora and Loeffel, and the potentially best 6 right-handers are all available.

Unfortunately, the left side looks rather weak in comparsion. Only Frick has the level to match the quality on the other side.

Genazzi's limits in mobility and footspeed where clearly exposed at last year's WHC. And the PP skills on the blue line are good enough, that his services are redundant.

Kreis looked surprisingly good earlier this year for the NT, but I didn't like what I've seen in the playoffs. He surely is a good, shifty skater and can carry the puck out of a zone, but the play oftenly died on his stick as well. And he was oftenly hesitant in board battles. That won't work on international level IMO.

Marti is ok as a 7th/8th D, but would probably struggle in a bigger role.

That means Josi, who's always crucial of course, would be even more important, to fill that hole with his ability to eat a lot of minutes.

And if Siegenthaler would be available soon, that could be an other option to help compensating for the lack of Mueller/Kukan this year.

Josi-Weber
Siegenthaler-Diaz
Frick-Fora
Untersander-Rathgeb

That would be a pretty solid line-up, better than most other years.

I think Josi-Rathgeb could be a very interesting pairing, but for the begining it's Weber's place to lose.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Josi and Weber confirmed that they want to travel to the World Championship. They just need to be cleared by the Predators, which shouldn't be a problem, especially if they want to have good contract-talks.

Malgin said in an instagram-post that he found it strange hearing the national coach talking about his motivation and that he'd have been 100%-motivated to play for Switzerland. Hopefully they can sort it out together.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
If Weber, Untersander and Diaz will accept an invitation, we are stacked on RD. Add Rathgeb, Fora and Loeffel, and the potentially best 6 right-handers are all available.

Unfortunately, the left side looks rather weak in comparsion. Only Frick has the level to match the quality on the other side.

Genazzi's limits in mobility and footspeed where clearly exposed at last year's WHC. And the PP skills on the blue line are good enough, that his services are redundant.

Kreis looked surprisingly good earlier this year for the NT, but I didn't like what I've seen in the playoffs. He surely is a good, shifty skater and can carry the puck out of a zone, but the play oftenly died on his stick as well. And he was oftenly hesitant in board battles. That won't work on international level IMO.

Marti is ok as a 7th/8th D, but would probably struggle in a bigger role.

That means Josi, who's always crucial of course, would be even more important, to fill that hole with his ability to eat a lot of minutes.

And if Siegenthaler would be available soon, that could be an other option to help compensating for the lack of Mueller/Kukan this year.

Josi-Weber
Siegenthaler-Diaz
Frick-Fora
Untersander-Rathgeb

That would be a pretty solid line-up, better than most other years.

I think Josi-Rathgeb could be a very interesting pairing, but for the begining it's Weber's place to lose.

I agree about Genazzi and Marti, but will withhold judgement on Kreis until this week's games. I'm also not sure what role it's reasonable to give Siegenthaler and Rathgeb, AHL players are difficult to evaluate so you're maybe a bit optimistic with Siegenthaler on the 2nd pair and Rathgeb over Genazzi/Loeffel (without even considering that Siegenthaler could be sent to the AHL). Weber has also struggled a bit when given first pair responsibilities, maybe it would be better to have him in a lesser role. Also, are we sure that Untersander will come? He's been injured for a large part of the season.

So I think it's more realistic to go with (assuming Untersander comes and Siegenthaler is in the AHL playoffs):

Josi - Diaz
Untersander - Fora
Frick -Weber

With the 7th and 8th D to be decided by who between Marti, Loeffel, Genazzi, Kreis and Rathgeb performs well against France and Latvia.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Malgin said in an instagram-post that he found it strange hearing the national coach talking about his motivation and that he'd have been 100%-motivated to play for Switzerland. Hopefully they can sort it out together.

Without having any knowledge of the background of this story, from a neutral position the reaction of Malgin seems appropriate and professional at the same time. Disappointed, but doesn't burn any bridges. Good man!

On one hand what we all have seen in the past from Malgin, nothing ever indicated him being a possible headcase. From a very young age he not only accepted any international invitation, he also always was, unlike e.g. Fiala, a determined leader. Probably the most influencial center beside Hischier, they ever had at juniors.

On the other hand, Fischer is normaly a pretty thoughtfull guy. You'd expect the hot head Wohlwend to go out and give such a direct statement to the press, but not Fischer.

Certainly, Malgin's debut at the WHC 2 years ago wasn't as good as one could have hoped, and IIRC, he was losing his spot during the tournament. But it looked more like a very talented player hasn't figured it out completely yet, how to be effictive on this level, but could be very useful in the future type of situation, then something disciplinary. Maybe something happened there between the two?

Fischer has punished Fiala in the past for declining the invitation to the World Juniors, and reintegrated him.

Let's hope we see Malgin next year again, if he's available.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I agree about Genazzi and Marti, but will withhold judgement on Kreis until this week's games. I'm also not sure what role it's reasonable to give Siegenthaler and Rathgeb, AHL players are difficult to evaluate so you're maybe a bit optimistic with Siegenthaler on the 2nd pair and Rathgeb over Genazzi/Loeffel (without even considering that Siegenthaler could be sent to the AHL). Weber has also struggled a bit when given first pair responsibilities, maybe it would be better to have him in a lesser role. Also, are we sure that Untersander will come? He's been injured for a large part of the season.

So I think it's more realistic to go with (assuming Untersander comes and Siegenthaler is in the AHL playoffs):

Josi - Diaz
Untersander - Fora
Frick -Weber

With the 7th and 8th D to be decided by who between Marti, Loeffel, Genazzi, Kreis and Rathgeb performs well against France and Latvia.

Damn, those stupid AHL playoffs, I always forget about.:laugh:

Of course, we never know exactly about the AHL guys, but it's not like they went over to NA as 17 years old juniors and we haven't seen them play in years on swiss ice.
Rathgeb was an offensive force in Switzerland before, was the last cut I think 2 years ago before the WHC, a lot of his game has the potential for the first pairing (unlike Weber's, I agree absolutely), and thanks to his disappointing 1st year overseas he has full tanks and should be absolutely motivated. Questionmarks certainly remain about game rhythm and confidence. I think Josi would be the perfect match to lead him through the first games.

Siegenthaler wasn't ready last year but clearly made a step forward this year. With Mueller, Kukan and Geering unavailable, what natural LD beside Frick and Siegenthaler could play 2nd and 3rd pairing?

It's mostly a bit of an inconvenience when Ds have to switch to the wrong side. Especially on international level, where the defensive board control is crucial. There are guys like Kukan who have proven to be capable, but as a leftie, it's more common to switch sides. So who would you let play the off-position on your 2nd pairing, Untersander or Fora?

I hope Im wrong, but I'm not so sure Diaz can still handle first line duties.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Siegenthaler would be ready, no question. He probably would push Geisser out of the lineup so they better send him to Bratislava. :sarcasm:

Diaz is getting older, indeed, but paired with Josi he's still very good and can show his strengths. He always played on his best beside Josi, they fit very well and I wouldn't give up this strenght.

Rathgeb was very good in the NLA last year but missed the WC due to an injury. If he did work on his defensive play he is an option and I wouldn't rule him out. But with Josi/Weber coming and hopefully Diaz and Untersander available it gets really difficult to crack that lineup on Defense. We'll know more after the two games tomorrow and on Saturday and after we get the roster for the last week of preparation.

I also really looking forward to see Kurashev. He has a good shot to make the roster as 3rd C in my opinion.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
It's mostly a bit of an inconvenience when Ds have to switch to the wrong side. Especially on international level, where the defensive board control is crucial. There are guys like Kukan who have proven to be capable, but as a leftie, it's more common to switch sides. So who would you let play the off-position on your 2nd pairing, Untersander or Fora?

Untersander.

I hope Im wrong, but I'm not so sure Diaz can still handle first line duties.

Well, Diaz could, one year ago together with Mueller and Josi. I thought he played well. ;)

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Don't get me wrong guys. I very much like Diaz. Of course he still is a lock for the team, even if everybody's available.

I don't question the quality he still offers at all, Im just not sure he's capable of delivering it constantly, when he has to match Josi's volume in 5-vs-5 minutes on international intensity. Something he was cabable of last year I agree. But it was just this feeling growing during the POs, that he can't handle big minutes as effortlessly as he used to. Hope Im wrong though.

And he could be a nice match, to the more physical Siegenthaler (if available), mentoring him through the tournament.

Forgot about Geisser, still would probably be a plus over Genazzi/Marti/Kreis.

The problem with Untersander is, that even on his proper side his decisionmaking in the d-zone with and without the puck isn't all the time on top on highest international level, when it gets really quick. His biggest weakness IMO. Of course his overall influence does compensate for that. Putting him on the wrong side could make this worse. Especially if he still is a bit cautious regarding his injury history this year.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Fischer with the reaction on Malgins instagramm comment on Blick.ch online. According to Fischer the NT demanded 100% commitment and continuity for the home WC in 2020. Apparently the Coach didn't like Malgins compete level and wanted to reward players who accepted any invitation from the NT.

This seems strange to me. Has Malgin acctualy declined any NT nomination? I thought last year the Panthers didn't want him to report to the WC. Fischer then wishes Malgin "the best for the future". This doesn't look like he will play for us in tournaments anytime soon, definitley not next year at the very least. I don't think this is fair as Malgin has probably done more for swiss junior hockey than any other player in recent memory, except maybe Hischier. I still remember that great U18 tournament in Zug when we blasted away Russia 5 nothing in the quarter finals and went to OT against Laines Finland in the semis.

And for such a young player living alone abroad and struggeling to make to the NHL is definitley not easy, so losing focus once or twice should be forgiven. Definitley not liking this move from Fischer...

PS. Here is the whole article if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Fischer with the reaction on Malgins instagramm comment on Blick.ch online. According to Fischer the NT demanded 100% commitment and continuity for the home WC in 2020. Apparently the Coach didn't like Malgins compete level and wanted to reward players who accepted any invitation from the NT.

This seems strange to me. Has Malgin acctualy declined any NT nomination? I thought last year the Panthers didn't want him to report to the WC. Fischer then wishes Malgin "the best for the future". This doesn't look like he will play for us in tournaments anytime soon, definitley not next year at the very least. I don't think this is fair as Malgin has probably done more for swiss junior hockey than any other player in recent memory, except maybe Hischier. I still remember that great U18 tournament in Zug when we blasted away Russia 5 nothing in the quarter finals and went to OT against Laines Finland in the semis.

And for such a young player living alone abroad and struggeling to make to the NHL is definitley not easy, so losing focus once or twice should be forgiven. Definitley not liking this move from Fischer...

PS. Here is the whole article if anyone is interested.

Thx for clarification.

This obviously is only the offical version, and doesn't make it any better at all.

You kick him out of the team for this and probably next year for a missed kick-off-day? A player, who unlike Rochette withstood the temptation to change to the bigger hockey program and stays with the small country, with a lot of merit for our hockey internationally, who never gave a hint of an impression, that he wouldn't care?? I mean, really???

That's hard to believe.

It looks like an obvious background clash hadn't happend, as Malgin probably would have reacted differently. He genuinely seems surprised.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Thx for clarification.

This obviously is only the offical version, and doesn't make it any better at all.

You kick him out of the team for this and probably next year for a missed kick-off-day? A player, who unlike Rochette withstood the temptation to change to the bigger hockey program and stays with the small country, with a lot of merit for our hockey internationally, who never gave a hint of an impression, that he wouldn't care?? I mean, really???

That's hard to believe.

It looks like an obvious background clash hadn't happend, as Malgin probably would have reacted differently. He genuinely seems surprised.

The whole situation seems very weird to me. You mentioned Rochette who initiated the nation change by contacting the Canadian Federation himself and giving them a longtime commitment. Even though he did that (wich I consider sort of a dick move if you factor in how he and his dad profited from swiss hockey for years on multiple levels.) the Swiss federation clearly left the door open for a possible return to the Swiss senior team. Compared to that everything Malgin could have done seems like peanuts.

Im also not sure if Fischer realises that commiting to the NT is so much easier if you play in the NLA, a paradise for any hockey player where you play 44 regular season games and everybody can sleep in their bed every night. A North American based player has a much much harder scheudule and can see his family and friends for about 4 months every year. So I just feel like Fischer should factor that and Malgins young age in when he goes on making statements like that in the press.

Last edited:
Reactions: pukovnik

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
The whole situation seems very weird to me. You mentioned Rochette who initiated the nation change by contacting the Canadian Federation himself and giving them a longtime commitment. Even though he did that (wich I consider sort of a dick move if you factor in how he and his dad profited from swiss hockey for years on multiple levels.) the Swiss federation clearly left the door open for a possible return to the Swiss senior team. Compared to that everything Malgin could have done seems like peanuts.

Im also not sure if Fischer realises that commiting to the NT is so much easier if you play in the NLA, a paradise for any hockey player where you play 44 regular season games and everybody can sleep in their bed every night. A North American based player has a much much harder scheudule and can see his family and friends for about 4 months every year. So I just feel like Fischer should factor that and Malgins young age in when he goes on making statements like that in the press.

Yeah, the whole Rochette situation, I think we both have discussed it before in here. I still wonder if he acctually had an invitation a year ago for the U-18 and already declined there. Or if the SIHF just wasn't aware of the danger.
It's what it is. It's the right thing to keep the gates open for him.

One really has to hope that Wohlwends way of treating players doesn't influence Fischer in a bad manner.

Malgin is a player, who mostly relies on skills and smarts and proper positioning, more than on sheer physical devotion, jumping into every possible block, but is never lazy. And he likes to slow the game down from time to time, and is good in it.

Maybe Fischer thinks that style of play doesn't suit his system and doesn't want him on the team? And then it gets tricky, as it's politicaly risky to call an NHL-player and cut him again from the team. He might planef to avoid a nomination of Malgin from the begining, but struggled to find good reasoning, cirumventing the truth, in front of the press?

Or maybe they want to bring out the beast in Malgin, rising his anger and physical determination, by giving him the Fiala treatment? And give him a ticket nonetheless next year if available. If true this would be highly risky as players tend to react very differently. And it can cause a stir within the team as well, when a punishment and its reasoning seem kind of random and over the top harsh. With Fiala, everyone knew that he had a long list of disciplinary issues, unlike Malgin, and was due to a certain treatment. He probably knew himself, he had it coming to him. And he reacted with a strong WHC. Would be very bold, to think you could just repeat that pattern successfully.

It's all speculativ, I know, but I have a hard time thinking about any scenario, that make Fischer's comments look well-put.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to watson he declined the invitation to the prospect camp last summer, which is a little bit more than just a kickoff day.

According to the same article:
Fiala - Hischier - Praplan tonight.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
According to watson he declined the invitation to the prospect camp last summer, which is a little bit more than just a kickoff day.

According to the same article:
Fiala - Hischier - Praplan tonight.

Also according to that article, Untersander and Suri were invited (plus the players already confirmed) but not Martschini.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
Josi and Weber confirmed that they want to travel to the World Championship. They just need to be cleared by the Predators, which shouldn't be a problem, especially if they want to have good contract-talks.

I ran his Instagram remarks through Google Translate and the first part was readable, but it ends with "Anyone who knows me knows that I am not 100% in with Switzerland, percentage not mine." That makes no sense, can someone offer a better translation?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It says:

"The phrase not being 100% dedicated to play for Switzerland is not correct. Everyone who knows me knows that. The decision that I won't play for Switzerland at this years WC is 100% not mine. I wish the Swiss team all the best at this WC"

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah, the whole Rochette situation, I think we both have discussed it before in here. I still wonder if he acctually had an invitation a year ago for the U-18 and already declined there. Or if the SIHF just wasn't aware of the danger.
It's what it is. It's the right thing to keep the gates open for him..

I don't think he declined a nomination for the U-18's. I mean he still played for the U18 team at the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August. I also think he said in an Interview that he will likely play for Switzerland that summer, but don't hold me on that one as I am not 100% sure. I also don't think the federation saw the nation change comming, if they did, they would probably have locked him up at the U18's.

Maybe Fischer thinks that style of play doesn't suit his system and doesn't want him on the team? And then it gets tricky, as it's politicaly risky to call an NHL-player and cut him again from the team. He might planef to avoid a nomination of Malgin from the begining, but struggled to find good reasoning, cirumventing the truth, in front of the press?

I don't think that is the case. Maybe I am overanalysing here but from all the media quotes from Fischer it comes accross like something happened between the two and Fischer seems to harbor some sort of discontent against Malgin. Even if he just disliked him as a player in 2017 it would be unreasonable to not let him come at least to camp. Its also not like Malgin didn't improve at all the last two years. I mean just look at what Andrighetto is able to do at a WC and Malgin is arguably a slightly better NHL player. Even if he doesn't fit the coaches system or philosophy 100% I just don't think you can just pass on a player with that kind of skillset if hes available.

Or maybe they want to bring out the beast in Malgin, rising his anger and physical determination, by giving him the Fiala treatment? And give him a ticket nonetheless next year if available. If true this would be highly risky as players tend to react very differently. And it can cause a stir within the team as well, when a punishment and its reasoning seem kind of random and over the top harsh. With Fiala, everyone knew that he had a long list of disciplinary issues, unlike Malgin, and was due to a certain treatment. He probably knew himself, he had it coming to him. And he reacted with a strong WHC. Would be very bold, to think you could just repeat that pattern successfully.

It's all speculativ, I know, but I have a hard time thinking about any scenario, that make Fischer's comments look well-put.

I really hope you are right with this theory but it wouldn't shine the best light on our Coaches Social skills. Its extremely easy for a player to take a situation like this the wrong way and a major rift could be created.

Overall i think the hole Situation was mostly Fischer trying to set an example that he is not giving NHL players any special treatment. From some more articles I gatherd that Malgin apparently did not come tho the National Teams prospects camp last summer. Maybe he felt disrespected that Malgin did not deem the camp important enough. So Fischer probably thinks he can't maintain some sort of authority towards the younger NHL guys with decisions like this. Lets not forget that some of those players (not Malgin though, not yet at least) already accomplished more in their early twenties than Fischer in his whole career. Im not sure if he could pull something like that with Hischier or Meier though, not without a major backlash at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00