WC: 2019 - Team Switzerland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't understand the logic behind letting players recover for the WC next year. They have something like 70 games to play until then, they might get injured, be tired or unable to attend for any other reason. Plus you weaken the squad for this year's WC in the hope that you can perform better at the WC next year? Might as well try your best right away.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, me neither, but on the other side we don't know how they exactly feel and how good their physical shape is. If you want to help a team at a World Championship you have to be at 100%. Or your name is Roman Josi and you can play a final with a broken finger ... :)

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I definitely wasn't expecting questionmarks about the centerposition a few weeks ago. Goalkeeping? Maybe. Defense and Wings, could be, depending on the reinforcements from NA. But Center? No way! Not with the historical depth they can offer. Things change quickly.

N.Hischier will be crucial. And if Corvi stays healthy and finds the rhythm again, things might not look too shabby. Hischier-Corvi-Bertschy/Ambühl-Walser/Rod/or even Heim/Senteler/Prassl. Not perfect, but I could live with that. (Though if 2 of Bertschy/Ambühl/Rod play C, depth on wing could get more of a problem.)

Actually came here to share a few thoughts, but as oftenly, you have already discussed most if it. :laugh: and as always I mostly agree. Even all my darkhorses Berni/Heim/Leuenberger are already mentioned.

Suri and Martschini deserve a nomination. But while I think, Martschini could be a difference maker in the PP and against "weaker competition", and if the games get too tough, switch him to 13th F, I have a hard time to slot Suri in. He hasn't 1st/2nd line quality and there are better options for a checking line. Maybe a 3rd line winger?

As much as I've always liked Simion, he just hasn't developed over the last 2 seasons as one could've hoped. Still too soft, weak and nice for his size. Doesn't score enough for the first 2 lines, loses too many boardbattles for the 3rd/4th line. And even his skills in the crease could be redundant when Baltisberger and Moser are there or/and if one of Timo/Nino joins. If he could just up his overall compete level a bit, he'd be a very useful complementary forward to any type of line. It's a pity, skills are definitely there. I'd be happy to eat crow Dario!

From a Z perspective: I'd expected Hollenstein would get a call. Bachofner isn't NT material IMO. Miranda will be in the future. Prassl has much improved and very good compete level, he deserves the call. Geering had better seasons before, but still offers very solid work. Marti is there, because of a lack of alternatives.
Berni would have been interesting, but overall his season wasn't just as good as his U20 performances might indicated. Not bad at all, just not as good as possible.

I haven't seen much of him through the reg. season in Lausanne, but the 5 or 6 PO-games I've seen, Frick looked very good. You could exactly see, what made him so surprisingly solid at last years WHC. The way he pivots and skates away from opposition under pressure in the d-zone and then calmy plays a smart first pass, it reminds me a bit of Müller and Kukan. I thought he was clearly the best Lausanne defender, better then Junland/Lindbohm and miles ahead of Genazzi and Grossman. Even if depending only on limited viewings, I wouldn't be surprised if he cracks a Top4 spot this year. He's come a long way since his Kloten days, equipped with a hard shot, but handling the puck like a hot potato under pressure and no plan of what to do in the d-zone.
So I might disagree here with stv11.

It's interesting that we have a lot of defensemen who are very good with handling the puck and skating with it in the d-zone once they control it, but sometimes struggle to sustain the first physical forechecking impact. Sometimes I think, 1 or 2 guys with a bit more of a physical presence and built and a good enough skillset would round out this team perfectly. Rathgeb has somewhat of a mean streak, but isn't a physical beast. There's really nobody around right now.

One darkhorse I want to mention, even if it's already clear, he won't be there, is Luca Hischier. He had a tough season regarding health, consistency and overall performance of his club. But when he plays good, there's a lot to like about his game. As a junior he always had a fine impact on international level. I think, he has the potential, that his game works on senior level too.
Maybe next year.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
It's interesting that we have a lot of defensemen who are very good with handling the puck and skating with it in the d-zone once they control it, but sometimes struggle to sustain the first physical forechecking impact. Sometimes I think, 1 or 2 guys with a bit more of a physical presence and built and a good enough skillset would round out this team perfectly. Rathgeb has somewhat of a mean streak, but isn't a physical beast. There's really nobody around right now..
Alessandro Chiesa from HC Lugano could be a valuable candidate.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Joel Vermin => Also injured, sounds a little bit minor to me.
I fear he's out, he is getting surgery and expected to need 3 months recovery.
The centers situation really is quite bad this year..if Malgin stays out for the contract, i'd probably give a call to Sannitz, despite his age. Has experience, great penalty killer, goes to the net and comes from one of his best seasons. It won't happen, but he would be a great emergency call up I think.

Could Brunner get a call? He's had a good and injury free season finally.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I always liked Sannitz and I thought his game works very good at international tournaments. But as you said, won't happen.

I would be surprised if Brunner didn't get a call. Especially with some many NA-wingers probably missing out.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Sannitz has been surprisingly good over the last two seasons, but he's a checking line player at best in international hockey and there are many better options for the role.

Brunner should be called, when healthy he's one of our best offensive player and he finally had an injury free season for the first time since he returned from North America.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to watson:

Fiala wants to play, they try to sort it out if it's possible. Great attitude!
Fischer didn't invite Malgin because he didn't seem too motivated in the past. For Sbisa it's probably the same
Meier is RFA und wouldn't come, Müller will only come if he's able to sign a new contract before the WC. Same applies for Andrighetto who (in my opinion) will not stay with the Avalanche.

Josi, Weber, Nino, Kukan and Siegenthaler would travel to Bratislave if they get thrown out of the playoffs.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Strange that Malgin wasn't invited, with the weak center depth. He showed up two years ago so I'm not sure where this motivation argument comes from.

I don't know how likely it is that Müller gets a new contract, but that's something I wouldn't count on. Andrighetto on the other hand could benefit from a strong WC given his relatively weak market value.

Siegenthaler would need to be out in both leagues and both his teams are top seeds so he's very unlikely. There's a better chance with Kukan, but would he be sent to the AHL if Columbus is out?

Reactions: Sverra

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Alessandro Chiesa from HC Lugano could be a valuable candidate.

Problem with Chiesa is, that his mobility, skating, puckhandling and decisionmaking isn't quick enough for international hockey.
And Fischer, as his former coach, probably knows, if he could suit into the system.

A bit similar to the Sannitz situation.
He had 2 very good seasons indeed, has an excellent on-ice presence as well. IIRC we were already discussing a potential call in here last year.
It's interesting that Sannitz looked rejuvenated after Fischer left Lugano. He probably hasn't the footspeed to match Fischer's system. And he has a long history of taking unnecessary penalties, something you can't afford on international level.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Problem with Chiesa is, that his mobility, skating, puckhandling and decisionmaking isn't quick enough for international hockey.
And Fischer, as his former coach, probably knows, if he could suit into the system.
I know Chiesa has the reputation to be too slow, but I saw him recently playing game 4 of the serie between Lugano and Zug and he did not looked overwhelmed to me in terms of speed. Chiesa was leading his team by example during all the season and finished with +27 in the plus/minus (best mark in the league). So personally I think it would have make sense to invite him to the training camp.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Well I guess Kukan was a little bit too optimistic. But how cool is that for him. Playing now Top-4 minutes in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Hard work pays off.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Well I guess Kukan was a little bit too optimistic. But how cool is that for him. Playing now Top-4 minutes in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Hard work pays off.

Great for him but the Swiss D corps will look rather thin unless Josi/Weber get thrown out of the Playoffs or Mueller gets a new contract soon. At least Untersander had some kind of resurection in the NLA playoffs. But with his concussion history I am not sure if he wants to risk his health for any team that isnt his employer.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think that's an option. Kurashev might be more one.

According to blickonline Fiala will join the team.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
That would be a big boost. Now if Washington beats Carolina we could have the same top line as last year plus Hischier (unless Fischer decides to mix things up, which he's never afraid to do).

On the other hand I agree with the feeling that the defense is a bit thin. Fora, Frick and Geering all had strong WC performances in the past but didn't have their best seasons, and there's Loeffel and Genazzi, although I'm not a big fan of either. In a best case scenario, the possible NLA additions are Diaz, Untersander, Schlumpf and Kreiss, so we're looking at a potential defense that could look something like:

Diaz - Fora
Untersander - Geering
Frick - Genazzi
Loeffel - Schlumpf

Which is probably ok if everyone plays at his best, but I guess it's inevitable that some players will be tired and have a disappointing training camp. But the good news in that the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs should be over before the start of the WC, so Kukan, Josi and Weber might still join at that point.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm still a little bit disappointed that Fischer didn't call up at least one young defender for the first camp. Like Berni, Karrer or even Gross. Just to see what they can do. Like he did it with Geisser last year who was not that far from making the team. Instead of Paschoud.
I'm not sure about Glauser tough, he could step up, I see some upside there. He made his progress this year.

But we see that it's very important that we develop our young defenders here. There is talent around, I named Berni, Karrer, Gross, also Le Coultre or Aebischer or Barandun. They need enough ice time at a high level to get better.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Berni or Karrer would have made sense, but the six players with WC experience had to be there, so there isn't much space left to experiment. And there aren't that many potential additions left, Untersander was injured, Diaz is not that young anymore, Schlumpf declined last year, so Fischer had to account for a worst case scenario and take as many WC ready players as possible, and Guerra and Glauser are clearly better than the young guns right now.

You can't really compare it to last year, when the defense of the first roster was as thin as it gets (IIRC, there were only six of them and Zryd made it). Plus the Euro Hockey Challenge was longer, that left more time for experimentation.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If I understood that correctly the Swiss federation made an insurance for Fiala in case he gets injured and he gets a lower figure in his contract the insurance will pay off for the difference.

Reactions: torero

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I don't see a good situation for the Sharks ... will Meier join the party if they are out ?
I see that he is RFA for next year and finally going to get his pay-check !! so ... doubtful i guess. sad!

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Meier already confirmed not coming if he doesn't sign a new contract before the WC.

Blick reports that Geering (and also Paschoud) is out for the tournament, not only for this week. They also say Untersander and Haas are questionable (health), also Moser and Rüfenacht for private reasons. Genoni and Scherwey will join. From Zug they report Diaz and Martschini, maybe Suri.

From the AHL Praplan and Rathgeb will join the team.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Haas was expected, Rüfenacht can replaced and Paschoud is not a big loss, but loosing two more defenders and Moser would be a tough blow. Not sure about Praplan and Rathgeb, but I guess they are worth a try.

Nothing about potential Biel players for next week?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->