WC: 2019 - Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to watson Gaetan Haas has recieved an offer from an NHL-organisation and will accept that offer. And if he plays like yesterday and last year there is no question for me that he can do it.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I think that, at this point, we can finally say that Fisher has been doing a great job. Still a lot of hate going on, but this team has now shown that has an effective game and that can win against pretty much every opponent.
Fix the pp and we can have fun

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
According to watson Gaetan Haas has recieved an offer from an NHL-organisation and will accept that offer. And if he plays like yesterday and last year there is no question for me that he can do it.

Do you have info who will replace him in Bern ? :surrender

Reactions: torero

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
A bit late to comment on the last games, but I was in Bratislava and didn't have much time to post. Now going through that depressing time when I realise how watching games on TV can't compare to the real thing :D

I think that the games against Sweden and the Czech Republic showed what we can expect from the quarterfinal. The team can play well, put strong opponents under pressure, create chances, and score goals, but in the end individual mistakes cost too much. First goal against the Czech was gifted by Scherwey with a penalty 60m away from the net and Bertschy failing to cover for Josi, 3rd goal was Loeffel chasing the puck carrier along the board and leaving a player alone behind him, 4th goal had Frick losing the puck under pressure, and Niederreiter with an unnessary give away for the 5th goal.

I expect something similar against Canada, resulting in a high scoring close loss. I'd be happy to be wrong but I think that the lack of depth of that roster will be too much to overcome.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I am so pissed of !!

We really played poorly the 3rd ... and the more time was going forward ... the more we were turteling around our goal.
20 shots to 6 !!

Ralph Kruger era resurfaced.

We could have done better this year.

whyyyy ! putin !

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I am so pissed of !!

We really played poorly the 3rd ... and the more time was going forward ... the more we were turteling around our goal.
20 shots to 6 !!

whyyyy ! putin !
Have you ever seen Canada unlucky?

Reactions: torero

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I am so pissed of !!

20 shots to 6 !!

whyyyy ! putin !
I said in GDT that you need 3rd goal considering pressure Canada had and I was right.

Maybe, I hope not, we will joke about this on Saturday if we lose against them with goal in last second too. :laugh:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I said in GDT that you need 3rd goal considering pressure Canada had and I was right.

Maybe, I hope not, we will joke about this on Saturday if we lose against them with goal in last second too. :laugh:

You are a good one Nexon !! Yes ... we played the trap ! it was so sad !! instead of going forward.

I don't understand why we fell again into these rails. (pressure of course ... but then again !! we played with fire since the betginning of the 3rd period)

OT was Canada's time. Although we could have said something ... but we played like crap and they were way smarter.

Czech should do well in the coming games. All good to you bro.

Reactions: Czechboy

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
While you can't give Fisher the main responsibility for the loss, I can't say that I liked his coaching approach at all. The team didn't even remotly try to take even minimal risks in the third peroid and got therefore pushed into their own zone for almost the whole period. Well it almost worked but Canada could easily have scored earlier with a bit more luck and then we probably would have lost in regulation.

What was even worse though was overtime. I don't think I have ever seen a more reluctant team effort at 3v3 since its implementation. The units were literally afraid to go too deep in the offensive zone with more than one player. This is not how you score in this format. You have to take risks for the big reward and yes you might get punished and we didn't do that at all. The team did not try to win in OT, it just wanted to avoid to loose wich makes our exit all the more frustrating to me.

Fisher might be a good motivater and has a nose for line chemistry, but it dont think he is a top coach at this tournament when it comes to tactics...

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
What are reactions in Switzerland after this loss ? Is this tournament seen as success or failure ?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
For the media and the experts it's a success. It's a further step on the way to WC on home-ice next year.

I also don't fully agree on coaching and the last period. I don't think that Fischer made them play that defensive, I think the situation was just like this. They lost pretty much all bullies in the last 10 minutes and this already makes it difficult to go forward. And then, this is probably the main difference to last year and the thing @stv11 noted a week ago, our defense lacked of good players who are able to win those battles and make a controlled move out of the period. Just having Josi&Diaz is not enough. Last year we had Mueller, Kukan, Untersander who are all capable of doing this. We missed those type of defenseman this year. Loeffel, Genazzi, Frick and Fora all played a solid or good tournament, but they honestly don't have the class of Mueller, etc. (yet). And this fact makes it quite tough to go forward if a good team like Canada is constantly pressuring and looking for a goal.

Edit: I agree with @Speyer regarding the overtime, that was too passive. But yeah, difficult situation, you don't want to be the guy who makes the mistake. If Nino is able to close the gap there on the boards it is maybe a goal for us and he's the hero. This is a thin line.

Reactions: pukovnik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->