Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

This one surprised me

It's been rumored for a few days now. Schöne is the longest serving foreign Ajacied in history. He's been with the team since 2012 and has been a perfect role model during his entire stay. I was hoping he'd stay, but also, like everyone else associated with Ajax, grant him this final opportunity. I'm sure he'll be back in a training role of sorts. Every PSV and Feyenoord fan can now watch and relax a little more when Ajax has a free kick opportunity. Best in the business.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
It's been rumored for a few days now. Schöne is the longest serving foreign Ajacied in history. He's been with the team since 2012 and has been a perfect role model during his entire stay. I was hoping he'd stay, but also, like everyone else associated with Ajax, grant him this final opportunity. I'm sure he'll be back in a training role of sorts. Every PSV and Feyenoord fan can now watch and relax a little more when Ajax has a free kick opportunity. Best in the business.

The surprising part is he left for Genoa of all teams. They are not in CL and they may fight for EL spot at best.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The surprising part is he left for Genoa of all teams. They are not in CL and they may fight for EL spot at best.

Well he's 33. Not many top teams would take a flyer on him as a starter. He also got offers from Qatar, but he didn't like that perspective for his kids. He could also stay in Amsterdam and (perhaps) play CL football again. He did it because he wants one final foreign adventure and life in Italy isn't exactly a punishment. I fully understand this decision on his part. Hope he does well and returns to Amsterdam as a trainer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Schone going is good for Ajax. He was a liability big time in midfield last season, and it was especially noticeable in the latter stages of the CL. Great guy though and served Ajax really well in his time there.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal play in Barcelona tomorrow and it seems that's where the two clubs will talk about Coutinho. Rumours are that it will be a 24 million Euro loan move with an option to buy. There is no way in hell I can see Arsenal go after a 24 million loan move, I still think they're trying to play the cheap game regardless of Pepe.

Arsenal will submit an improved offer for Tierney in the next couple of days.

Bordeaux reps are in London talking about Kos.
That seemed clear when watching Brewster this preseason.
He's a striker though and your lots weakness is in the midfield. Brewster is a Sturridge replacement.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Celtic loan andrew gutman to Cincinnati. Good for everyone involvdd. Cinci just acquired his mls rights so he can play in mls. I don't think gutman was able to get a work permit, but he should have a good chance if he plays well in mls and gets a call up to the nats. Left back is terrible right now for the usmnt. Reports on gutman in summer training and friendlies were that he played well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Weakness in midfield? Really? They have 7 (Hendo, Milner, Gini, Fabinho, Lallana, Keita, and Ox). I think they could justify adding an attacking piece, but I don’t think they’re light in midfield. That’s without some kids and others who can do a job.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Weakness in midfield? Really? They have 7 (Hendo, Milner, Gini, Fabinho, Lallana, Keita, and Ox). I think they could justify adding an attacking piece, but I don’t think they’re light in midfield. That’s without some kids and others who can do a job.

Liverpool have world class players in basically every position besides the midfield, where no one even comes close to being world class.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Fabinho is imo

Not even close. Fabinho isn't world class in any sense and not even a clear, guaranteed, week in week out, starter in my eyes. He is a good, solid player, but calling him world class really is stretching the definition of the term " world class"

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You can tell who does and doesn't watch games by calling our midfield a weakness. I'm sure Messi and Pep thought we had a weak midfield.

Those players are world class in tandem with each other, and this is a team sport. Would take maybe two or three other teams midfields over ours.

The cluelessness with which people talk about the European champions that lost one league game last season, it's getting absolutely hilarious. Some of you need a huge reality check.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Not even close. Fabinho isn't world class in any sense and not even a clear, guaranteed, week in week out, starter in my eyes. He is a good, solid player, but calling him world class really is stretching the definition of the term " world class"

There's not many holding midfielders better than Fabinho. I'd take him over any of Arsenal's midfielders right now.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
You can tell who does and doesn't watch games by calling our midfield a weakness. I'm sure Messi and Pep thought we had a weak midfield.

Those players are world class in tandem with each other, and this is a team sport. Would take maybe two or three other teams midfields over ours.

The cluelessness with which people talk about the European champions that lost one league game last season, it's getting absolutely hilarious.
McGregor, Christie, Brown is one of those midfields.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

The cluelessness with which people talk about the European champions that lost one league game last season, it's getting absolutely hilarious.

As I said above, Fabinho is world class for me. Keita could be, but he needs to prove a bit more this season after struggling to adjust a bit last year. The rest are pretty average players, but they fit Klopp's system like a glove. It's definitely a case of the sum being greater than its individual parts.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Arsenal play in Barcelona tomorrow and it seems that's where the two clubs will talk about Coutinho. Rumours are that it will be a 24 million Euro loan move with an option to buy. There is no way in hell I can see Arsenal go after a 24 million loan move, I still think they're trying to play the cheap game regardless of Pepe.

That figure is because it's the amount needed for amortization for the coming season for his transfer from Liverpool. I'm sure that would be factored into a loan with an obligation to buy type deal thus lowering the price next Summer.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

The cluelessness with which people talk about the European champions that lost one league game last season, it's getting absolutely hilarious. Some of you need a huge reality check.

I watch a lot of your games and I agree that they could be considered world class together. That has a lot to do with Klopp though, and putting a world class player in there would probably not disrupt that. None of the individual players are world class though and many of the games you dropped points in where due to a lack of creativity in midfield. The midfield is still your weakest area by far though which is in need of an upgrade the most.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Isn't it marvellous how it's never been easier to watch top-level football, and yet it feels like it's never been more necessary to labour this startlingly obvious point?

Mind, I think it's fair to say this season the unit might find itself under slightly more stress than is healthy if Fabinho and Keita don't take centre stage. Milner being 33, Henderson 29, and Wijnaldum 28, the question of how much more can be wrung from them to succeed at the absolute highest level of club football is moot.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
There's not many holding midfielders better than Fabinho. I'd take him over any of Arsenal's midfielders right now.

I would take him over all of our midfielders besides Torriera, but that does not say much. There are loads of better holding midfielders. Kante, Rodri, Fernandinho, Busquets, Pjanic, Casemiro, Brozovic, Declean Rice, Torriera, Ruben Neves and Jorginho are all better in my eyes, and there are ones that are further ahead but might not be universally considered to be holding midfielders. Although he is not a Holding midfielder, Wijnaldum is Liverpools best midfielder, not Fabinho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad