Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I would take him over all of our midfielders besides Torriera, but that does not say much. There are loads of better holding midfielders. Kante, Rodri, Fernandinho, Busquets, Pjanic, Casemiro, Brozovic, Declean Rice, Torriera, Ruben Neves and Jorginho are all better in my eyes, and there are ones that are further ahead but might not be universally considered to be holding midfielders. Wijnaldum is Liverpools best midfielder, not Fabinho.
There are two players on that list that are better. You clearly do not watch any football. You have proven it about 5 times very obviously now.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
There are two players on that list that are better. You clearly do not watch any football. You have proven it about 5 times very obviously now.

Proven that by disagreeing? Something is wrong if you genuinely believe that Fabinho is better than one of Busquets, Kante, Casemiro, Rodri or Fernandinho, especially after Fabinhos decent but not great first season at Liverpool.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Proven that by disagreeing? Something is wrong if you genuinely believe that Fabinho is better than one of Busquets, Kante, Casemiro, Rodri or Fernandinho, especially after Fabinhos average first season at Liverpool.
Proven that by saying Declan Rice is better than Fabinho. Yes Busquets and Kante are better. Everyone else, hell no. It doesn’t matter though cause this is a transfer thread and no point in letting you successfully pull it off course again. Back on the ignore list you go.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I don't think you understand player roles at all. He is a destroyer who is not supposed to ever hold onto the ball for any length of time.

Destroyers can still be holding midfielders though. Torriera is one, Kante was one under Conte, Makelele is another. Most destroyers are applied in a deep lying role, therefore they are holding midfielders. Holding means deep lying, not necessary holding on to the ball. Maybe I am arguing definitions of the word, but if I am not you seem like the one who doesn’t understand player roles here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Destroyers can still be holding midfielders though. Torriera is one, Kante was one under Conte, Makelele is another. Most destroyers are applied in a deep lying role, therefore they are holding midfielders. Holding means deep lying, not necessary holding on to the ball. Maybe I am arguing definitions of the word, but if I am not you seem like the one who doesn’t understand player roles here.

I think everyone can read this board over the last few weeks and decide who knows what. Watch any game and see that Fabinho is not a player who attempts to control tempo or slow the game down at any point. Your list is a joke, and I don't respond to jokes, so this will be the last time you get one from me.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Proven that by saying Declan Rice is better than Fabinho. Yes Busquets and Kante are better. Everyone else, hell no. It doesn’t matter though cause this is a transfer thread and no point in letting you successfully pull it off course again. Back on the ignore list you go.

I know it is a hot take and I am fully aware most people don’t agree. I do think Rice shields the backline better than basically anyone else in the league, and he is stronger and a lot more mobile than Fabinho while being just as comfortable in possession.

Just saying that I don’t want football because I have unusual opinions is strange and a completely irrelevant thing to say.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think everyone can read this board over the last few weeks and decide who knows what. Watch any game and see that Fabinho is not a player who attempts to control tempo or slow the game down at any point. Your list is a joke, and I don't respond to jokes, so this will be the last time you get one from me.

I never ever said that he was trying to control the tempo or slow the game down, but he is still a holding midfielder because of his positioning. If he was trying to control the tempo he would be a regista which I never called him.

Instead of using “ you know nothing” as basically your only argument besides saying “ he doesn’t control the tempo” which isn’t necessary to be a holding midfielder, actually say something useful.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Isn't it marvellous how it's never been easier to watch top-level football, and yet it feels like it's never been more necessary to labour this startlingly obvious point?

Mind, I think it's fair to say this season the unit might find itself under slightly more stress than is healthy if Fabinho and Keita don't take centre stage. Milner being 33, Henderson 29, and Wijnaldum 28, the question of how much more can be wrung from them to succeed at the absolute highest level of club football is moot.
Oh I agree some of those players might be getting a few too many miles on the tires, but collectively they have 6-7 international level players for 3 spots.

Sure, you could upgrade some; but collectively, they’re deepest in the midfield. As much as Klopp makes them run, they have to be.

For Liverpool to have a successful season Keita needs to play 30 matches, Fabinho needs to be fit and Gini needs to have another sparkling season. The rest will chunk and change and keep the engine running.

I would agree that at some point (probably next season mind you) a midfielder or two must be changed out. But they just won the CL and almost the league with this group. It would be bonkers to change them.

They’re the deepest position for Liverpool by far (unless you count Keeper where they have a guy who plays every match and probably a guy who as awful as he is for how Klopp wants, is still a top 11-12 guy in the EPL). No they’re not City. But anyone else in the EPL would be happy to have this group.

To spin it further back to transfers, I think Liverpool are looking in the market to get players who can play midfield. But I think they see 6-7 quality players and rather buy a kid or two or see what Curtis Jones can do rather than spend 60 on a player who doesn’t play much till January.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Kean to Everton is official.
Will be interesting to see how Everton go this year, if Kean can provide some consistent scoring and the drop off from Gueye to Gbamin isn't to bad it could be a good year.

Only grumble at this point is the lack of depth in central defence with Zouma, Williams & Jags all gone their isn't much behind Keane & Mina.

Hoping they might be able to get something done to add another CB before Thursday.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Eriksen to Utd? Discussed a lot on Spursboards at the moment.

$%%"# that would be sad. If that happens Lo Celso and Fernandes have to come to Spurs.

I don´t believe things are won or lost during the transfer window, but it would feel a bit sad getting N´Dombele, but not really haven strengthen overall - due to losing Eriksen. Hopefully Utd are desperate enough to pay a ridiculously high fee at least.

On the bright side Pochettino seems to be happy again - strangely enough considering the Eriksen situation.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Isn't it marvellous how it's never been easier to watch top-level football, and yet it feels like it's never been more necessary to labour this startlingly obvious point?

I think the access to top level football is a double edged sword. Yes, it’s dramatically easier for me as an American to watch the PL, BL, and La Liga as well as Champions and Europa (French and Italian games are a bit harder outside PSG and Juventus, but still accessible). But it’s also dramatically easier for me to watch a 4 minute YouTube highlight clip of various players and say “x is better than y” because I’m directly comparing flashy moves and ignoring that they’re 10 cherry picked plays out of hundreds of touches over a season.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Brighton looking at getting Drinkwater in on a season long loan.

Also looking at a 20 million pound move for Maupay. Would be a club record signing if it goes through.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
If they hold onto Pogba and with the additions / likely additions of the below - successful off season? I think so.

Out: Lukaku, Valencia, Herrera.

In: Mandzukic, James, Maguire, Dybala, Wan Bissaka.

So how does United line out now?

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
So how does United line out now?
Assuming those 2 reported deals get done.... my guess would be something like this.

------------------ De Gea --------------

Wan-Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw

---------- McTominay - Matić ------------

----------------- Pogba -----------------

----- Dybala ------------------- Martial

---------------- Rashford ----------------

Don't like having both McTominay & Matic in central midfield but at this point not sure who the better options would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad