Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Looks like Sheffield United should now be done with transfers, but I’d say overall it’s been a successful window and it’s nice to see them spending a decent amount of money. Now can they stay up?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Reece Oxford to Augsburg is official. The fee wasn't disclosed, but I think the figure floated was £4M a few weeks ago. Should have taken the £17M Red Bull Leipzig offered two years ago.

Still, you just hate to see talented kids go to crappy clubs...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Moving over to the new thread

Excluding the price, I'd say a back four of AWB-Lindelöf-Maguire-Shaw seems like a good base for the future. Backline's been more or less rebuilt this window.

But I see a new thread is already open so let's continue there.

I don't hate a CB pairing of Lindelof/Maguire, I think it can be good/solid, but it's not a world class pairing and neither player really has a lot of improvement potential, and yet they paid a combined ~120m pounds for them.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I think Arsenal have to figure out on how to improve their Defense before pointing out the price paid for Maguire by Manchester United.

I mean if they sign Tierney for ~25M, then I think our backlines are about even with Arsenal paying a fraction of the cost that United has spent. I still hope we sign another CB, but we'll see.

Tierney - Sokratis - Holding - Bellerin
vs.
Shaw - Lindelof - Maguire - AWB​

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes it’s a huge price and yes there were better players out there that we should have signed. I’m not going to argue against that. Maguire is better than what they had (except Lindelof) and him, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Smalling, and Bailly when he comes back will be a good core. Our back line is much much better this season than last and that’s all we can really ask for. Hopefully eventually United add a better CB but we need to get CL first and I think this move puts us much closer (especially if pairing with the Dybala move).

Reactions: kingsboy11

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Moving over to the new thread

I don't hate a CB pairing of Lindelof/Maguire, I think it can be good/solid, but it's not a world class pairing and neither player really has a lot of improvement potential, and yet they paid a combined ~120m pounds for them.

To be fair Lindelofs fee was and still is reasonable I’d say.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Liverpool needs to add someone over the age of 18 before discussing transfers
I don’t think any of the LFC fans on here are happy about their window, but come on. What trophy do you get for having a good transfer window on paper?

Arsenal trying to copy 13-14 Liverpool so I guess imitation is the best form of flattery.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t think any of the LFC fans on here are happy about their window, but come on. What trophy do you get for having a good transfer window on paper?

Arsenal trying to copy 13-14 Liverpool so I guess imitation is the best form of flattery.
Yeah, I don't think any of the other 4 in the top 6 have done a ton to close the gap with City and Liverpool.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Uhh we just signed the most expensive CB of all time. Clearly our back line is the best in the league. Yes I’m definitely being serious.
It's still an improvement though, and cost will be forgotten about soon enough if he works out. It's like Kepa when we got him, sure it was an absurd amount, but it's what we had to pay, and he's been a very good keeper so far, so it's not mocked anymore.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's still an improvement though, and cost will be forgotten about soon enough if he works out. It's like Kepa when we got him, sure it was an absurd amount, but it's what we had to pay, and he's been a very good keeper so far, so it's not mocked anymore.

It's not mocked any more because people got tired of mocking it, not because it's been more worth it.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah it all comes down to how well he plays. But no matter what he’s still an upgrade on what we have.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Gianluca Di Marzio claimed earlier in the week that United were close to three deals, namely Maguire, Dybala and Bruno. He's 1 for 3 so far...
All that comes true and it's a hell of a window. Wonder if they try Dybala on the right at some point to insulate James and keep Lingard out of the starting 11?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, I don't think any of the other 4 in the top 6 have done a ton to close the gap with City and Liverpool.
I think Tottenham is pretty clearly the 3rd best right now. I don’t think think they can close the gap to the top 2. I think that would be too many points to make up. They have added some nice players but I don’t think that they have significantly upgraded themselves in an area of the field that Liverpool did last year with Alisson last year.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
All that comes true and it's a hell of a window. Wonder if they try Dybala on the right at some point to insulate James and keep Lingard out of the starting 11?

Yea, as stupid as the Maguire price is, if they pull of a Dybala for Lukaku straight swap, I'm still thrilled with the window, even ignoring Bruno.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think Arsenal have to figure out on how to improve their Defense before pointing out the price paid for Maguire by Manchester United.
Why? United added an average defender for 85mil. We've made a similar mistake on a guy like Mustafi. I'd rather we not make the same mistake again by pressuring into buying an average CB like Rugani.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad