2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I have family on both sides of the Detroit River. Actually, I've had family on both sides of the Detroit River since before the US and Canada existed. Can we take a minute and recognize Nouvelle-France here?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I feel the need to translate here.

Hey @XeroKaos , our buddy Shaman here was joking. Saying, "Why are you gents so proud, you haven't invaded anyone?!" See, that's the tongue in cheek part. Because it's a commentary on American machismo that is actually poking fun at ourselves. We play the tough guy, but we'd prefer to be proud over being a peaceful nation that loves hockey, actual civil liberties, and Timbits. Oh those sweet, sweet Timbits.

The Stanley Cup is the Canadian Super Bowl. We kind of make a big deal about that stupid Bowl thing here, too. Some people tune in just for advertisements and shows between periods. We are a strange land, but you're stuck with us as neighbors.

It's hilarious that someone actually needed their hand held during that flurry of comments. I think the same person can't understand comedy on television unless there's a laugh track.

Reactions: NickH8

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
*Walks into playoffs thread and sees politics*

giphy.gif

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I'm surprised by how many people on HF seem to be rooting for the Caps. Am I the only one who never wants a team to repeat unless they are my favorite team?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm surprised by how many people on HF seem to be rooting for the Caps. Am I the only one who never wants a team to repeat unless they are my favorite team?
Well, it is my favorite team. (I lived in MD and MI for about 15 years each.)

I think people are rooting for the Caps because they sucked for so long most fans don't hate the team. Red Wings fans have a reason to hate on Tampa and Pittsburgh, but not so much with the Caps. The Wings swept them in their only playoff series, '98 Cup Finals.

I suppose Wilson and Orpik get some hate around the league, but most of their other players aren't hated.

Reactions: plymouthmi

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Rooting for the Sharks. Want to see Joe Thornton win one. He's been twice and lost so... he needs a bone thrown his way at this point.

Just always like the Sharks.

An the feel good for me would be the Islanders somehow winning this thing after everything their fans went through.(Might not be terrible overall for hockey if NY/LongIsland tuned into hockey games more.)

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I feel like I'm one of the few people that enjoys and respects seeing sustained success and doesn't grow to hate every team that is successful for long stretches. I obviously hate my rivals but I think the hate of teams like the Patriots and Blackhawks (if you aren't a fan of a rival, I of course hate them) comes from envy, which is a feeling I try to avoid.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I feel like I'm one of the few people that enjoys and respects seeing sustained success and doesn't grow to hate every team that is successful for long stretches. I obviously hate my rivals but I think the hate of teams like the Patriots and Blackhawks (if you aren't a fan of a rival, I of course hate them) comes from envy, which is a feeling I try to avoid.

I don't really hate any teams anymore, even rivals. As I've gotten older I think I've relaxed on the animosity (though there's still individual players I can't stand that can affect how I feel about a team). I just don't want repeats. If my team is out of it I'd rather see someone new or someone who hasn't won in awhile win.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Can you believe Columbus? I'm not sure what the odds were on them winning this series, but I would think they were the lowest.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Can you believe Columbus? I'm not sure what the odds were on them winning this series, but I would think they were the lowest.
Yeah, low for sure.

That said, they finally started to gel over the last couple weeks with all their deadline acquisitions. So they're definitely better than their positioning suggests. Especially if Bob plays well.

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Yeah, low for sure.

That said, they finally started to gel over the last couple weeks with all their deadline acquisitions. So they're definitely better than their positioning suggests. Especially if Bob plays well.
Yeah, I noticed they did, but I still didn't expect this. Tampa must be horrified.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don't really hate any teams anymore, even rivals. As I've gotten older I think I've relaxed on the animosity (though there's still individual players I can't stand that can affect how I feel about a team). I just don't want repeats. If my team is out of it I'd rather see someone new or someone who hasn't won in awhile win.
Well if course it's not true hate, that's reserved for Colorado tier rivalries.
But I view sports as a way to release irrationality. I think everyone needs that in some form. For some it's videogames, for some it's sports, etc. It's not rational to cheer for a bunch of millionaires playing to make money for a billionaire, most of whom aren't even from the states they represent, but it's fun dammit.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Well, Tampa is getting their ass kicked tonight. Down 3-0. Also, Pierre McGuire is by far the creepiest "person" on Earth (though I strongly believe he's an alien that halfassed his research on how to hoo-man).

Reactions: Gniwred

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Well, Tampa is getting their ass kicked tonight. Down 3-0. Also, Pierre McGuire is by far the creepiest "person" on Earth (though I strongly believe he's an alien that halfassed his research on how to hoo-man).
They said Columbus won the first two against the Caps last year too, and I guess they did now that I think about it. I bet not many people had the Jackets taking this series.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They said Columbus won the first two against the Caps last year too, and I guess they did now that I think about it. I bet not many people had the Jackets taking this series.

If Tampa wins this series I can see it being like the Vancouver series in 2002 for Detroit, it wakes them up and they go on to win it all.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Penguins racking up the unnecessary penalties. Delusional pens fans blaming the refs....

Get Pittsburgh and Colorado the f*** out of these playoffs asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad