2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Loved the Stars last night. My bracket was done by coin flip, and has them winning the cup, so I'm pulling for them. They could win my heart as my third team after Detroit and Boston

Insane that Heiskanen is 19 and playing the minutes he is...

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Canadian patriotism is so weird. They sing O Canada and have massive flags, but they haven't invaded anyone they became independent in the 80s.

Seriously though, the Avs-Flames match up looks fun.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canadian patriotism is so weird. They sing O Canada and have massive flags, but they haven't invaded anyone they became independent in the 80s.

Seriously though, the Avs-Flames match up looks fun.

Invading other countries is what inspires patriotism in Americans? I think that’s more weird than anything else.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It was a joke, tongue and cheek way to bring up that Canadians at hockey games get very patriotic.

Okay but personally I don’t see Canadian patriotism at NHL hockey games, we’re patriotic at international games with our flags and chanting but I’ve never heard a Canadian fan base chant “Canada!” during an NHL game for example whereas I have heard many US fanbases chanting “USA!” during NHL games when they happen to be beating a Canadian based team.

Reactions: newfy

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Okay but personally I don’t see Canadian patriotism at NHL hockey games, we’re patriotic at international games with our flags and chanting but I’ve never heard a Canadian fan base chant “Canada!” during an NHL game for example whereas I have heard many US fanbases chanting “USA!” during NHL games when they happen to be beating a Canadian based team.

Did you watch the opening of the Avs-Calgary game? They had a dramatic flag unfurling and a Canadian flag that was at least 30 meters (damn metric) long.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yes! Finally a chance to engage in a rousing discussion on imperialism and its overarching influences on the geographics and economics of hockey!
God damn, considering how many pages we have debating in circles on lesser topics we'll have to create a new board for this one!

Reactions: Bench and mantha39

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yes, well...

riot1.jpg

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Did you watch the opening of the Avs-Calgary game? They had a dramatic flag unfurling and a Canadian flag that was at least 30 meters (damn metric) long.

That’s a tradition in many Canadian cities now, has been for years. Are you anti-Canadian or something? I don’t understand your logic here, most of the players on this league are Canadians, it’s our national pastime. We’re a proud nation.

You just aren’t making sense sorry, why do Blackhawks fans cheer non stop during the singing of the US anthem?

Canadians comprise the majority of your Red Wings. Didn’t know a Canadian flag unveiling causes you so much grief..good to know.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That’s a tradition in many Canadian cities now, has been for years. Are you anti-Canadian or something? I don’t understand your logic here, most of the players on this league are Canadians, it’s our national pastime. We’re a proud nation.

You just aren’t making sense sorry, why do Blackhawks fans cheer non stop during the singing of the US anthem?

Canadians comprise the majority of your Red Wings. Didn’t know a Canadian flag unveiling causes you so much grief..good to know.

I for one, believe that we should build a wall around Canada and ban Mounties, affordable common sense healthcare, and beavers.

Also Hockey from now on will be known as Freedom Puck.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I for one, believe that we should build a wall around Canada and ban Mounties, affordable common sense healthcare, and beavers.

Also Hockey from now one will be known as Freedom Puck.

I feel the need to translate here.

Hey @XeroKaos , our buddy Shaman here was joking. Saying, "Why are you gents so proud, you haven't invaded anyone?!" See, that's the tongue in cheek part. Because it's a commentary on American machismo that is actually poking fun at ourselves. We play the tough guy, but we'd prefer to be proud over being a peaceful nation that loves hockey, actual civil liberties, and Timbits. Oh those sweet, sweet Timbits.

The Stanley Cup is the Canadian Super Bowl. We kind of make a big deal about that stupid Bowl thing here, too. Some people tune in just for advertisements and shows between periods. We are a strange land, but you're stuck with us as neighbors.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Also Hockey from now one will be known as Freedom Puck.

Deal, in return Canada demands all citizens returned so Red Wings shall release Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Green, Helm, Cholowski, Bowey, Daley, Fulcher, Hirose, Kuffner, Hicketts, Rasmussen and Puempel to Canadian authorities.

Canada also demands you cede at least one tropical territory to us because we have to much snow and ice.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Deal, in return Canada demands all citizens returned so Red Wings shall release Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Green, Helm, Cholowski, Bowey, Daley, Fulcher, Hirose, Kuffner, Hicketts, Rasmussen and Puempel to Canadian authorities.

Canada also demands you cede at least one tropical territory to us because we have to much snow and ice.

Okay, you get Tuscon Arizona and President Trump. No backsies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Invading other countries is what inspires patriotism in Americans? I think that’s more weird than anything else.
We spend $686 Billion on our military, we gotta give them something to do. What's the point of having a team if they don't play any games? Gotta give the fans something to cheer aboot.

Reactions: NickH8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad