2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Tyson Jost would likely cost a lot more than a guy like Sutter due to the pedigree of his D+1 and Draft position.

I feel he was rushed into the NHL, he should of stayed in UND for 2 years like Boeser did. It's not like Brad Berry was a bad coach and hurting his development. If anything Brad Berry is a coach who will be coaching in the NHL sooner rather than later.

This is absolutely why I would want to acquire him. I think he could be "not available, but available" if we were to send them pieces like Sutter and even Gudbranson that could be very useful them in a playoff run for the next couple of years. Avs could load up and crack their window wide open with assets like Jost and their own 1st (with sens 1st still in their pocket).

Jost could be our "3rd line center" in the sense that he'd be centering the line with the 5th and 6th best scoring wingers. Beagle centering a shutdown line, and Horvat centering a two-way line.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Haven't followed this year, but based on last season I imagine he'd be our 4th best defenseman on most given nights. Would absolutely love it if we claim him and turf Gudbranson as has been rumoured.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Haven't followed this year, but based on last season I imagine he'd be our 4th best defenseman on most given nights. Would absolutely love it if we claim him and turf Gudbranson as has been rumoured.

There's a rumour of us turfing Gudbranson?

But yeah Rutta was playing in Chicago's top 4 last year and would be well worth a dice roll at the expense of one of the bums in our D corps (Pouliot, MDZ, Gubranson etc.)

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Haven’t heard about turfing Gudbranson??

I think Benning is thinking about moving Stecher. Either for the rumoured Zaitsev or for Ceci.

He’s targeting RHD ‘upgrades’.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

I think Benning is thinking about moving Stecher. Either for the rumoured Zaitsev or for Ceci.

There aren't any rumours that the Canucks may acquire Zaitsev, nor are there any I'm aware of that would support the categorical statement that Benning is targeting RHD upgrades.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
There aren't any rumours that the Canucks may acquire Zaitsev, nor are there any I'm aware of that would support the categorical statement that Benning is targeting RHD upgrades.

Botchford was on Halford and Brough last week saying that the Canucks are looking to upgrade the D, and are OK trading a D for a D. [Paraphrasing] I suggest listening through the 1 hour segment they have on TSN1040.

Also, Botchford is the one that explicitly stated the Stecher/Zaitsev potential connection via the Athletic.

Both of these rumours are sourced.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think Stecher's size puts both Benning and Green off and they would both see a bigger body like Zaitsev or Ceci as an upgrade.

Very possible. I was thinking that they don't recognize how effective Stecher is compared to the alternatives. That too could be a product of their evaluation of his size.

Neither of those guys are upgrades to Stecher

Agreed.

Reactions: Hansen and geebaan

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Berglund plus a 2nd or 3rd for Gagne? Can take defensive zone face offs for EP40 and just scored 17 in 54 games last year.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

I haven't heard anything about our own interest in moving on from Gudbranson but Botchford or some other Athletic writer was talking about how there is a lot of league interest in Gudbranson

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I haven't heard anything about our own interest in moving on from Gudbranson but Botchford or some other Athletic writer was talking about how there is a lot of league interest in Gudbranson

How could anyone objectively watch this guy play and go "oh boy, I want that".

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I have heard the same. That there is interest around the league, but nothing about VAN's own interest in moving him. That said, we know they are willing to move him. The failed trade for Demers speaks to this.

Berglund plus a 2nd or 3rd for Gagne? Can take defensive zone face offs for EP40 and just scored 17 in 54 games last year.

Interesting trade idea for the Berglund. Essentially, the team takes on an extra 2 years of a 4m~ AAV salary for a 2nd or 3rd. I don't think it's enough, and I think Berglund is probably headed for a buyout if he keeps up his current pace, so I would rather let Gagner walk at the end of his contract.

Realistically, I would trade Gagner for someone like Rutta, just to get out from under his contract a year early.

EP40 has changed the landscape for this team. The drive should be to get rid of bad contracts now. The window for weaponizing cap space, I think, is over.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Interesting trade idea for the Berglund. Essentially, the team takes on an extra 2 years of a 4m~ AAV salary for a 2nd or 3rd. I don't think it's enough, and I think Berglund is probably headed for a buyout if he keeps up his current pace, so I would rather let Gagner walk at the end of his contract.

Realistically, I would trade Gagner for someone like Rutta, just to get out from under his contract a year early.

EP40 has changed the landscape for this team. The drive should be to get rid of bad contracts now. The window for weaponizing cap space, I think, is over.

Yeah, I was just spitballing and if Berglund was 28 I would have been more interested. Interesting as I write this the DailyHive is reporting our interest in Burakovsky.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah, I was just spitballing and if Berglund was 28 I would have been more interested. Interesting as I write this the DailyHive is reporting our interest in Burakovsky.

Haha, Benning is completely predictable. Burakovsky was on my list of targets, as was Heinen, Ceci and Zaitsev. Ceci, especially, because he's RFA after this year.

Basically, Benning is looking for young players that have fallen out of favour with other clubs. Further, these trades have to be hockey trades. This is a repetition of what the Leivo trade, but on a bigger scale. This may also signal that Baertschi is no longer being treated as a constant here.

So what is a hockey trade that works for Burakovsky?

- I have to believe that Goldobin is off the market right now.
- They aren't trading a centre.
- Granlund? Schaller?
- Off limits (what I think Benning would be reluctant to trade here):

RW: Boeser, Eriksson, Virtanen and Roussel
C: Pettersson, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle
LW: Leivo, Goldobin, Baertschi
D: Tanev, Edler, Hutton, Gudbranson

Available: Motte, Granlund, Schaller, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Stecher, Biega and Nilsson.

Just reading the Caps board, it seems like PK help is their big need. Has to be Granlund and/or Schaller.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Haha, Benning is completely predictable. Burakovsky was on my list of targets, as was Heinen, Ceci and Zaitsev. Ceci, especially, because he's RFA after this year.

Basically, Benning is looking for young players that have fallen out of favour with other clubs. Further, these trades have to be hockey trades. This is a repetition of what the Leivo trade, but on a bigger scale. This may also signal that Baertschi is no longer being treated as a constant here.

So what is a hockey trade that works for Burakovsky?

- I have to believe that Goldobin is off the market right now.
- They aren't trading a centre.
- Granlund? Schaller?
- Off limits (what I think Benning would be reluctant to trade here):

RW: Boeser, Eriksson, Virtanen and Roussel
C: Pettersson, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle
LW: Leivo, Goldobin, Baertschi
D: Tanev, Edler, Hutton, Gudbranson

Available: Motte, Granlund, Schaller, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Stecher, Biega and Nilsson.

Just reading the Caps board, it seems like PK help is their big need. Has to be Granlund and/or Schaller.

They do not have a lot of cap space so it cannot be a bigger contract and I am guessing lower than the 3 million Burakovsky makes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They do not have a lot of cap space so it cannot be a bigger contract and I am guessing lower than the 3 million Burakovsky makes.

Has to be Granlund, IMO. Currently costs half as much, has produced more than Burakovsky and is used as a PKer.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Has to be Granlund, IMO. Currently costs half as much, has produced more than Burakovsky and is used as a PKer.

Sold to the pretty ladie in the East.

I wonder if they actually are open to trading Sutter when he returns as well. They are plodding along in the exact same way with Gaudette instead of him.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
There's a rumour of us turfing Gudbranson?

But yeah Rutta was playing in Chicago's top 4 last year and would be well worth a dice roll at the expense of one of the bums in our D corps (Pouliot, MDZ, Gubranson etc.)

The Gudbranson rumors have added up slowly:

The rumor a playoff team offered a 2nd + 4th for him before his extension

The almost Gudbranson to Demers trade(Demers didn't waive for Vancouver)

Botchford recently saying teams are interested in him.

Canucks have reportedly called the Caps about Burakovsky. Wouldn't mind that.

I really can't see the Capitals being too interested in what we can offer in terms of players honestly.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I would rather Canucks go after Puljujarvi. I think he would perform next to Pettersson.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I could almost see Benning offering up someone like MacEwen for Burakovsky. That way he doesn't lose any of his precious cargo like Granlund. Someone on the Canucks is always injured so there is room for both of them.

He could also combine the 2 for Bur. Combined salaries don't add up to Bur's and I don't think Zack is on his white board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad