2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Our best bet is if Eriksson going to the world championships and playing for his home country inspires him. If he goes there and has a great tournament (kind of like Demitra RIP.)

Some team (come on Ottawa) might see him as someone who just needs a change of scenery and/or finds value in his contract.

But ultimately moving him out has to happen. For a team that preaches culture, effort, and compete etc and to keep Eriksson on your roster just kills any credibility to that mindset.
Pavel Demitra has more heart than most players in the world. The guy loved winning!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Pavel Demitra has more heart than most players in the world. The guy loved winning!

I'm not disputing that but I don't think it's a secret to anyone that he seemed to find an extra gear when wearing his countries colors. Hopefully Loui can do the same.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'm not disputing that but I don't think it's a secret to anyone that he seemed to find an extra gear when wearing his countries colors. Hopefully Loui can do the same.
Some of the best players in the world don’t bring the energy and emotion Pavel did for his country! The guy loved playing for his home. Loved Demitra! His unnecessary swearing super loudly after scoring goals was everything! Him and Mats are what brought out the best of Kesler.
Personally I’ve never seen that from Loui. Like ever.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Would try to do something around Virtanen and/or Hutton to bring in a scoring winger. Dunno if it would be enough for guys like Nylander or Ehlers, but don't throw in draft picks. Sign another reasonably priced top-six guy out of free agency. Trade Tanev at the draft for whatever you can get, retain Edler, and try to get Jake Gardiner if healthy (or cheaper, sub-30 alternative if he is unavailable).

Get rid of Granlund, Motte, one of Sutter/Beagle, Pouliot, Baertschi, Spooner, and Schaller. Sign Brandon Tanev. Trade Markstrom for picks at the draft, and sign basically any veteran netminder of reasonable age and ability to platoon with Demko.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Unless Toronto or Winnipeg are feeling extremely generous I don’t think Virtanen and Hutton are even a starting point for either of those two

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Would try to do something around Virtanen and/or Hutton to bring in a scoring winger. Dunno if it would be enough for guys like Nylander or Ehlers, but don't throw in draft picks. Sign another reasonably priced top-six guy out of free agency. Trade Tanev at the draft for whatever you can get, retain Edler, and try to get Jake Gardiner if healthy (or cheaper, sub-30 alternative if he is unavailable).

Get rid of Granlund, Motte, one of Sutter/Beagle, Pouliot, Baertschi, Spooner, and Schaller. Sign Brandon Tanev. Trade Markstrom for picks at the draft, and sign basically any veteran netminder of reasonable age and ability to platoon with Demko.
We need to get players that can play at a level with Pettersson and Horvat. Pearson and Boeser are wingers who can. Package whoever we can other than Hughes and our draft picks to get those players. Sign a good winger in free agency if you can like Lee, Nelson, Panarin, who is a sure bet to be a top 6 player because we can afford it after Eriksson, Sutter, Spooner come off the books. Maybe Tampa Bay trades somebody like Killorn or Miller along with Callahan for cap reasons. I would take that on.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Unless Toronto or Winnipeg are feeling extremely generous I don’t think Virtanen and Hutton are even a starting point for either of those two

Hutton has reportedly had value previously. Maybe there is a GM out there that will just look at his ATOI and not realize he can't play in the top four. He should be shopped this summer.

Adding to this topic, I just read what Buffalo's ask is for Ristolainen. If that's in anyway realistic ... good luck getting any young-ish defensemen in the trade market. Shouldn't have messed up that Juolevi pick.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Jason Botchford on the Patcast:
Canucks have called the Devils and new york Rangers. (if Hughes falls).
There is a "big" push to get Hughes in Vancouver.
Would cost multiple 1st rounders or a Top player to move up.
Or a significant package of Demko + Madden + to move up.

Reactions: cookiefest

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

We hear these every year when we get booted in the draft lottery. The organization now has the worst bargaining position possible since: a) The draft is in Vancouver; and, b) Ownership is rabid to unite the Hughes brothers. Every executive in the league knows it.

Any conversation starts with Horvat or Boeser plus our 1st rounder, and maybe more. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to ask for Pettersson, but probably.

Demko + Madden + 1st 2019 is not a "significant package". Certainly not enough to move up to the top three. It's become apparent Botch is totally out of touch on asset values.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
^^ will not happen. No team in their right mind trade a top pick for mediocre pieces. Someone of significance fie Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, EP) would have to be included to even get into that conversation. Hard pass! May as well just make select the best player available at 10 (or trade down to get a few assets/picks).

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
As a Canucks fan, I'd be worried as f*** till Hughes is drafted by NJ that Benning and Co are going to do something asinine to move up and pair the Hughes brothers together.

I can easily see these donkeys giving up multiple 1sts (2019 and 2020) plus prospects to do so.

Then they will spin how this pushes the Canucks into "contender" status when it really wouldn't move the needle much at all.

Expect the worst, hope Benning forgets how to use the phone.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I would be OK trading some assets to move up, but I have no interest in trying to trade up to get Hughes. Byram and Turcotte would be my targets at 3 or 4. It's ridiculous that this org feels compelled to unite brothers that have never really played together.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

I've learned to take Botchford's claims as 1-2 levels below what he is trying to sell. Basically Benning is doing his due diligence to see how he can add a top end player.

Botchford continues to get more and more sensationalistic with how he sells his rumours.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This is the dream boys.

Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Caufield
Roussell - Gaudette - Virtanen
Baertschi - Madden - _____ (Lockwood?)

Hughes - Karlsson
Hutton - Woo
Juolevi -Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

Even without Panarin and Karlsson. We look pretty good. Just need to fill those two holes (#2D and #1LW) over the next few years which is entirely possible.

There's good unrestricted free agents becoming available next year like Hall, M. Granlund, Barrie, B. Schenn, Toffoli, Kreider, Coyle, Vatanen, maybe even Josi. I would throw the bloody check book at Josi if Nashville can't get him signed.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
IIRC botch said the Canucks had already or were going to reach out to the Rangers/Devils. Any trade pieces were just suggestions of what the deal COULD be and not passed off as actual rumors.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I mean, if the package is:

10th OA, Madden, Demko+ 2020 1st I do it. Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson are untouchable though.

I’d rather just take Caufield at 10. Guy is going to be a 30-40 goal scorer easily

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Pettersson + for Hughes is the only deal they might consider. May as well milk the Nucks for all it is worth. Hope they do it.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I think most people will hate this idea but I've started to think about the Canucks going after both Panarin and Bobrovsky (I know they are almost for sure headed to Florida but just for discussion sake).

Use assets from a Markstrom trade and some prospects to clean out the bad contracts without retention (Eriksson, Sutter, Spooner, Schaller -- that's over 15 million next year...)
Groom Demko like we did with Schneider and turn him into a high pick (or ELC roster player).
Use the Russian connection to lure Tryamkin back, and maybe light the fire in Goldobin. He has the skill to play like Panarin, just not the drive (well not as good but he is highly skilled).

I think it would look something like 8x7 for Bob, and 10x7 for Panarin. Those contracts will hurt at the end but a move like that (plus some changes on D) could potentially have us as contenders in a year or two, with a window for a few years.

Just spitballing ideas, I recognize it's not going to happen but I don't hate the idea.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Should be a fascinating off season! Leaving aside the state of the defence and salary cap manipulations, I agree that the Canucks should be seeking to add at least one Top 6 winger, preferably two (one UFA, one trade). Fortunately, there are many offensively gifted UFAs who could help Vancouver:

Duchesne
Dzingel
Panarin
Skinner
Pavelski
Anders Lee
Eberle
Zuccarello
Nelson
Kevin Hayes (can he play wing?)
Nyquist
Fillpula

I have left out declining, heavier players like Simmonds, Ferland, Connelly. Bottom line is that there are A LOT of available players who can help this team. Jim would be absolutely foolish to overpay (term and money) for a winger when there is so much availability (Panarin excepted because he is so damn good). Add a good scoring winger like Skinner by UFA and trading for JT Miller (likely for peanuts to help with Tampa's cap) would still leave enough to perhaps sign Gardiner and leave money for future extensions if we jettison some of the other crap. I am not necessarily arguing for those particular players but that's the approach I would like Jim to take. Of course, he will probably overpay (i.e. offer a contract to) Simmons and Tyler Myers and do more harm than good. Hope I'm wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad