2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Does anyone know the status of Marian Gaborik? He's been on LTIR with Ottawa the whole season after back surgery.

The Canucks should trade Loui Eriksson for Gaborik's contract after July 1, where the real dollars drop to $3m per season.

Ottawa gains a player for nothing, and pays him less than Gaborik's $4.875M which probably won't be insurable every year.

Canucks gain essentially $6M in cap space.

Eriksson gets a fresh start, and maybe tapping in saucer passes from Chabot and Brannstrom will jumpstart him again.

Gaborik is finally traded for Ballard Raymond and a 2nd and gets to live in his house in Vancouver.

A Win-Win-Win-Win Trade

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Rumors are swirling in Toronto that Gardiner is done for the year due to back spasms that may require surgery.

Buyer beware on July 1

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Does anyone know the status of Marian Gaborik? He's been on LTIR with Ottawa the whole season after back surgery.

The Canucks should trade Loui Eriksson for Gaborik's contract after July 1, where the real dollars drop to $3m per season.

Ottawa gains a player for nothing, and pays him less than Gaborik's $4.875M which probably won't be insurable every year.

Canucks gain essentially $6M in cap space.

Eriksson gets a fresh start, and maybe tapping in saucer passes from Chabot and Brannstrom will jumpstart him again.

Gaborik is finally traded for Ballard Raymond and a 2nd and gets to live in his house in Vancouver.

A Win-Win-Win-Win Trade

This is a good idea if Gaborik's contract isn't insurable.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'm not throwing money at any free agent defenseman except for Karlsson.
I really hope Karlsson’s groin isn’t toast! He’s looked really poor at time this season for the Sharks. Though when he was healthy he was doing his classic 2 zone stretch tape to tape passes and all that stuff.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Aquilini and Green have both disavowed having any voice in personnel moves recently. I greatly fear Aquilini will hire Chiarelli. :dunce:

Canucks have to see how Hughes fits before they add new guys. A replacement for Benning won't come before then but it might come soon after? Linden fell out of step before fading away.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I just want the Canucks to acquire Mckeown and Foote. That would pretty much sort out our defence. If we get Byram as well, we are good for the next 7-10 years.

Next year:

Edler Stecher
Hutton Foote
Hughes McKeown
Juolevi Biega

Future:

Byram Stecher
Hughes Foote
Juolevi Woo
Hutton McKeown

Offer Tryamkin and Tanev for Foote and Callahan (dump)
Offer Gaunce and a mid round pick for McKeown (waiver eligible 2019-2020)
Draft Byram

Done.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Ok, I didn’t really wanna start a new thread for this because it might have already been posted.
But did anyone on the roster get papered down to utica for the stretch drive? Wasn’t the whole Spooner acquisition about papering him down for Utica depth on this stretch drive?
Are any of Gaudette, Sautner, Brisebois eligible?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
So they didn't paper Gaudette and Demko so they will not be able to play for Utica these playoffs.

Now is there a reason Benning didn't paper them or is it Benning being Benning?
Seriously!? Thats just ****ing idiotic if true. I thought Benning wants those guys playing "meaningful games", why wouldn't you want them to play in the playoff, even if it is in the AHL!?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gaudette and Demko have both faced Injury this year. Especially Demko.

I'm fine with them getting the rest and getting ready for what will be a very important off season training for both.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Tyson Barrie is apparently someone that will be available from Colorado as they make roster room for Cale Makar.

He Is definitely someone the Canucks could use but the problem is its very to picture a Dcore that has Barrie Hughes Stecher on it

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I think the most likely situation is if the Canucks sign Tyler Myers to a reasonable contract for slightly too long, say 6 years at $6.5M. He played junior hockey in Kelowna and I believe his wife is from BC as well. It would be a similar sort of home coming to Dan Hamhuis.

So in this scenario, and one where the Canucks re-sign Edler but don't add any other premier free agents (Panarin, Karlsson, Bobrovsky), what is the likely roster looking like?

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Leivo
Spooner Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Motte
Baertschi Granlund

[Edler] [Myers]
Hutton Stetcher
[Hughes] Tanev
Biega
[Schenn]

Markstrom
Demko

AHL:
MacEwan, Gaunce, Boucher, Lockwood
Juolevi Sautner Brisebois
Mazanec Bachman

This team has too many forwards and is still going to find it hard to score goals. If you're counting on the first line to score 20-30-35 goals, and the second line to score 20-30-15 goals, and the defense to score 30-40 goals, you're still counting on an average of 10 goals per other forward of the roster.

I would trade or otherwise walk away from Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller, Pouliot. An additional winger has to get traded as well. I think Granlund is a good 13th forward. I would bring back Schenn on a similar deal. You're kind of locked in on LW because the guys you have there are worthless in a trade for and you might be able to squeeze some future value out of them if you keep them on the roster to start the year. You're also kind of locked in on the RW other than shuffling all of them up and down the lineups.

If you look at the style of play Green likes to play, it is dependable two way hockey then transition quickly to offense. If you look on the roster, and while Goldy gets the brunt of it, it's really Boeser that's the piece that sticks out as non-conforming. He's an average skater and below average defender and an average passer.

He's also the Canucks 3rd or 4th highest value player. At the draft, I would quietly shop Boeser to gauge interest around the league. A guy like Zack Werenski is someone I would flip him for without hesitation, then flip Hutton and/or Tanev for a winger and a prospect. Kapanen (TOR) or Alex Nylander (BUF) perhaps?

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Oh ****, I'm confused. Yeah, if Ottawa is paying Gaborik's salary that's definitely a guy we should look into.

Not sure it saves the Sens a whole lot of money if they did a Gaborik/Eriksson swap. Would depend on whether or not Loui intends to fulfill the remainder of his contract or not. I think the Canucks' best ploy will be to approach Loui and his agent after July 1st and let him know he isn't in the teams' plans going forward and he'll be riding the bus in Utica next year for $1M if he decides to continue playing. He may just decide to pack his bags and head back for Europe in that case.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Not sure it saves the Sens a whole lot of money if they did a Gaborik/Eriksson swap. Would depend on whether or not Loui intends to fulfill the remainder of his contract or not. I think the Canucks' best ploy will be to approach Loui and his agent after July 1st and let him know he isn't in the teams' plans going forward and he'll be riding the bus in Utica next year for $1M if he decides to continue playing. He may just decide to pack his bags and head back for Europe in that case.

Yeah the guy I would try to move to Ottawa for Gaborik is Beagle. Free up a roster spot and try to bully Eriksson into retirement.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd be interested in taking a flyer on Kovalchuk if we could move out salary to get him.
Eriksson with $1 million retained for Kovalchuk would be ideal.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Yeah I don't think Jimbo has the coconuts to even do this..he has to grow some first..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad