2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
So according to the main boards, all these assets combined don’t get a pick in the 11-20 range. Please tell me again people don’t overrate draft picks on here?

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Should be a fascinating off season! Leaving aside the state of the defence and salary cap manipulations, I agree that the Canucks should be seeking to add at least one Top 6 winger, preferably two (one UFA, one trade). Fortunately, there are many offensively gifted UFAs who could help Vancouver:

Duchesne
Dzingel
Panarin
Skinner
Pavelski
Anders Lee
Eberle
Zuccarello
Nelson
Kevin Hayes (can he play wing?)
Nyquist
Fillpula

I have left out declining, heavier players like Simmonds, Ferland, Connelly. Bottom line is that there are A LOT of available players who can help this team. Jim would be absolutely foolish to overpay (term and money) for a winger when there is so much availability (Panarin excepted because he is so damn good). Add a good scoring winger like Skinner by UFA and trading for JT Miller (likely for peanuts to help with Tampa's cap) would still leave enough to perhaps sign Gardiner and leave money for future extensions if we jettison some of the other crap. I am not necessarily arguing for those particular players but that's the approach I would like Jim to take. Of course, he will probably overpay (i.e. offer a contract to) Simmons and Tyler Myers and do more harm than good. Hope I'm wrong!

For LW I want Lee or Nelson. We can’t afford to overpay for anyone though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So according to the main boards, all these assets combined don’t get a pick in the 11-20 range. Please tell me again people don’t overrate draft picks on here?

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

Well, if you could pull a 2nd each from Tanev, Hutton, JV and OJ, then package all those 2nds together, sure you might get a 11th to 15h selection.

No one can or is able to take on all those contracts/salaries in return for a first though.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Well, if you could pull a 2nd each from Tanev, Hutton, JV and OJ, then package all those 2nds together, sure you might get a 11th to 15h selection.

No one can or is able to take on all those contracts/salaries in return for a first though.
Virtanen, Gaudette and Juolevi? All worth more than 2nd imo

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
For whatever reason most people would rather roll the dice and hope for a gem with a higher ceiling than those players above. At the end of the day I am sure a trade could be a wash (or maybe a win). It’s the “what if’s” people bank on.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
For whatever reason most people would rather roll the dice and hope for a gem with a higher ceiling than those players above. At the end of the day I am sure a trade could be a wash (or maybe a win). It’s the “what if’s” people bank on.

Picks cost the absolute most in the days/weeks leading up to the draft, and cost the absolute least at the deadline.

We typically do the opposite.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Net in the Kesler trade. Would you do it again?

OutIn
KeslerSutter
ForslingPearson
Lockwood
Sbisa
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Net in the Kesler trade. Would you do it again?

Of course (rhetorical) you'd do it again. There was no choice. Kesler was super pissed at the Canucks. He didn't want to waste his career on a doomed team. Canucks cemented their reputation and Kesler was vindicated.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi
They're probably right. That's an awkward combination of assets and none make much of an impact.

member 290103

Now is the time to get the Leafs 1st rounder for Markstrom.

Benning is only interested in hockey trades. Botchford proposing they acquire James Neal from Calgary with a 1st round pick as compensation for taking his contract.....I could see Benning moving an actual asset for Neal thinking he can play on "Petey's" wing and score goals.

FML.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
#1 Target has to be a top flight RHD. Karlsson, Subban etc... Everything falls from there. If they miss out on the big names, then the secondary market that includes names like C. Miller should be there.
I am not staying we should throw big $ in free agency... but if you can get someone of the karlsson or panarin caliber for “free” (not trading away an asset to create another hole), you do it. We still need 1-2 top 4 D-man and 1-2 top 6 forwards.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

Baertschi has absolutely 0 value. He's a mediocre player when healthy, which he hasn't even been in years. He's getting paid 3.4M for another 2 years and has never topped 35p. He's soft as butter and provides nothing to the team aside from his mediocre offence.

Tanev is great, but he has 1 year left and has missed 114 out of 264 games in the last 3 years. His only value is as a playoff rental, but he's not even that likely to be healthy by the time the playoffs are here. Maybe a high 2nd low 1st if there's a bidding war.

Juolevi has done a grand total of nothing in 3 years since being drafted, and is coming off missing almost an entire season. He might still somehow become a top-4 defenseman but the odds are looking rough at this point. He's maybe worth a late 2nd or early 3rd if another team wants to gamble on him.

Virtanen is a pretty mediocre top-9 player. Entirely replaceable. Might still have some room for growth but we're entering into his D+6 year and his career high in points is 25.

Hutton and Gaudette are the only players you listed who other teams might actually be interested in, and who the Canucks should be keeping long term.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Baertschi has absolutely 0 value. He's a mediocre player when healthy, which he hasn't even been in years. He's getting paid 3.4M for another 2 years and has never topped 35p. He's soft as butter and provides nothing to the team aside from his mediocre offence.

Tanev is great, but he has 1 year left and has missed 114 out of 264 games in the last 3 years. His only value is as a playoff rental, but he's not even that likely to be healthy by the time the playoffs are here. Maybe a high 2nd low 1st if there's a bidding war.

Juolevi has done a grand total of nothing in 3 years since being drafted, and is coming off missing almost an entire season. He might still somehow become a top-4 defenseman but the odds are looking rough at this point. He's maybe worth a late 2nd or early 3rd if another team wants to gamble on him.

Virtanen is a pretty mediocre top-9 player. Entirely replaceable. Might still have some room for growth but we're entering into his D+6 year and his career high in points is 25.

Hutton and Gaudette are the only players you listed who other teams might actually be interested in, and who the Canucks should be keeping long term.

Some people may think it's crazy, but I believe Hutton has the most value on that list, unfortunately. Tanev is on the way down and the rest are adequate organizational depth at best.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Some people may think it's crazy, but I believe Hutton has the most value on that list, unfortunately. Tanev is on the way down and the rest are adequate organizational depth at best.

Hutton is an interesting player, he has a lot of good qualities but I don't think he fits the Travis Green style well enough. I'd much rather try to move him on a high, and look to fill his spot with someone who can play the game at the quicker pace that Green wants to play at. Hutton should have good value too.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Of course (rhetorical) you'd do it again. There was no choice. Kesler was super pissed at the Canucks. He didn't want to waste his career on a doomed team. Canucks cemented their reputation and Kesler was vindicated.
And what doesn't get discussed much is that Kesler had one year left on his deal and was a UFA afterwards. If they didn't trade him, he would have walked after a year with zero return. If they can flip Sutter for picks in the summer then it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

To be fair most of those pieces aren’t worth much at all. Virtanen is probably the most valuable piece there and it would be fair to pass on him. Quantity does not equal quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad