2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I wonder if Pittsburgh would have any interest in re-acquiring Sutter, both are their bottom six centers are pending free agents and apparently Brassard might be on the move sometime in the next month, they always seem to up against the cap so that might pose a problem.

Sutter hasn't looked great this season but I have a feeling his perceived value has tanked to the point where it's impossible to recoup any sort of assets

Seems unlikely that the GM that has already traded Sutter away twice would look to acquire him. He does fit that need, but I'm not sure GM JR would be looking at Sutter as the ideal candidate given their history.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
This won't be taken well here, but I'd sell "high" on Virtanen right now for sure. He'd be a terrific McDavid linemate, so would ask high for Evan Bouchard but that's unlikely to happen.

If you can market him as Tom Wilson-lite to the right team, I bet his trade value is higher than we'd think. If the Islanders keep it up, would love to ask for Dobson, and adding something else (Goldobin + a pick from us and add Ho-Sang coming back??) to get there. Or maybe Myers from Philly if you can sell JV as a Simmonds "replacement".

I don't hate that but yeah you'd have to ask high and nothing less.

I like Virtanen as a player but there's a right deal to be made for quite a bit of this current Canucks roster.

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Seems unlikely that the GM that has already traded Sutter away twice would look to acquire him. He does fit that need, but I'm not sure GM JR would be looking at Sutter as the ideal candidate given their history.

That's a good point, he probably knows what he's dealing with and Sutter's subpar play this season likely won't help.

The problem is pretty much any team you could think of as someone who might be interested in Sutter is squished up against the cap.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Trading Virtanen and Goldy for two defensemen to replace Pouliot and Gudbranson would make us a much better team.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don’t believe the Zadorov rumour in the slightest unless there is some weird background thing like him thinking of going back to Russia. He played juniors in London and seems committed to the NHL so I think that’s pretty far fetched too. Seems made up and most Avs fans love him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Virtanen for Zadorov.

Zadorov-Tryamkin pairing would be fun.

I've never been a fan of Zadarov's game. The Canucks need a thinker on D. Someone that can handle top4 minutes without needing a baby sitter. Perhaps Fabbro makes sense?

It's really a difficult trade to make because you wonder where Virtanen will end up settling long-term? I think VancityLuongo has the right idea in targeting Bouchard and Dobson, but I suspect that these are non-starters from EDM and NYI. No interest in Myers.

Keep Virtanen... for now.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yikes Zadorov's advanced stats are absolutely garbage, visually I thought he was a solid player, especially last season but after I did my due diligence there's no chance in hell I make the deal.

I like Andreas Johnsson from Toronto, what's the asking price for him?

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
No interest in Myers.

Keep Virtanen... for now.

Really? Can't say I've tracked him all that closely, but his AHL stats look pretty good for a second year pro who is more of a shutdown guy than anything else. Good skater, seems to be stuck in the AHL behind a really good group of young defense (Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, and Morin in the AHL) so might actually be available.

I think he'd be a terrific long term Tanev replacement.

And actually, I'm glad to see the JV rumour because I think the time to trade him is now. There's still a lot of buzz behind his hot start to the year and especially amongst GM's yearning for the potential of a breakout from a 22 year old power forward. I just don't think he'll ever get to that level. Even if he does, if you're getting a (younger), potential top pairing defenseman back, that's a terrific bet to make. I don't even know if he'll actually consistently ever really play at the level he was at to start the year.

Execute the reverse age gap strategy with Virtanen.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yikes Zadorov's advanced stats are absolutely garbage, visually I thought he was a solid player, especially last season but after I did my due diligence there's no chance in hell I make the deal.

I like Andrea Johnsson from Toronto, what's the asking price for him?
Isn't he a winger?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

I like Andrea Johnsson from Toronto, what's the asking price for him?
They’re competing so probably a similar more experienced forward (Granlund?) or they’d look to move him in a package for a dman.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Really? Can't say I've tracked him all that closely, but his AHL stats look pretty good for a second year pro who is more of a shutdown guy than anything else. Good skater, seems to be stuck in the AHL behind a really good group of young defense (Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, and Morin in the AHL) so might actually be available.

I think he'd be a terrific long term Tanev replacement.

And actually, I'm glad to see the JV rumour because I think the time to trade him is now. There's still a lot of buzz behind his hot start to the year and especially amongst GM's yearning for the potential of a breakout from a 22 year old power forward. I just don't think he'll ever get to that level. Even if he does, if you're getting a (younger), potential top pairing defenseman back, that's a terrific bet to make. I don't even know if he'll actually consistently ever really play at the level he was at to start the year.

Execute the reverse age gap strategy with Virtanen.

Whoops, I thought you meant Tyler Myers there. I should have realized that when you suggested Bouchard and Dobson that you were not referring to the veteran Myers.

Yes, Philip Myers makes a lot of sense.

Basically, if they get a good potential RHD, consider trading Virtanen. Until such time, forget about it.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
For those that haven't heard it yet, Botchford said that he heard that there is interest in re-signing both Edler and Tanev.

Basically, the organization is concerned over Juolevi's development and they want to hedge their bets. And so, with at least 6m+ AAV going to each player, what does that do to the cap space? Further, what does this mean for a Markstrom re-signing given that Demko doesn't have an NHL track record?

I knew that they would head into this direction. It was predictable. When your pro scouting is this bad and you have to compete while changing your defense, the logical move is to re-sign your best defenders.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
For those that haven't heard it yet, Botchford said that he heard that there is interest in re-signing both Edler and Tanev.

Basically, the organization is concerned over Juolevi's development and they want to hedge their bets. And so, with at least 6m+ AAV going to each player, what does that do to the cap space? Further, what does this mean for a Markstrom re-signing given that Demko doesn't have an NHL track record?

I knew that they would head into this direction. It was predictable. When your pro scouting is this bad and you have to compete while changing your defense, the logical move is to re-sign your best defenders.

I think they're both in the $5.5 range max. But if you're committing $12m to Edler and Tanev, which is only $2.55m more than they are currently making, you make that up by not re-signing Gagner. A further cut would be to trade Hutton or Stetcher. Not that hard to make up the money.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think they're both in the $5.5 range max. But if you're committing $12m to Edler and Tanev, which is only $2.55m more than they are currently making, you make that up by not re-signing Gagner. A further cut would be to trade Hutton or Stetcher. Not that hard to make up the money.

...So in order to re-sign your top2 Dmen you trade one of your top4 Dmen? How is this making the team better again in terms of net gain?

Edler signed for 7.78% of the cap in 2013-14. At the very basic level of understanding, that same contract would be $6.5m AAV now. This is without negotiation regarding ice time, role on the team, PPG among the defense and the scarcity of assets in FA. Age will be a factor against, but there's far more in favour of Edler making 6m and more rather than him taking a 500k pay increase for his retirement contract. 5.5 max seems like a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad