2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I'd easily take Nylander over Kapanen on who to target, but Kapanen is the more logical piece to push for. Weren't Canucks fans mostly disgusted with all the Kapanen for Tanev proposals?

Many were yes. But Kapanen has broken out this year and Tanev hasn't quite looked as good as he used to. Will be cheaper than Nylander in terms of contract and acquisition cost

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Many were yes. But Kapanen has broken out this year and Tanev hasn't quite looked as good as he used to. Will be cheaper than Nylander in terms of contract and acquisition cost

Yeah, I thought I remembered that correctly. How times have changed. Expecting a kings ransom for Chris Tanev was always highly doubtful to me. I wouldn't pay top assets for Tanev, as good as he is.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Also, looks like Datsyuk is coming back to North America possibly.

Datsyuk - Pettersson - Boeser
Panarin - Horvat - Ferland
Wood - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussel - Sutter - Beagle

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Karlsson
Hutton - Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Sign four top UFA's. Seems realistic.

Why wouldn't superstars want to come to a Mickey Mouse club that's been a laughing stock for the last five years that none of them have a connection to and has the most travel of any team in the league?

Reactions: clunk

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It would be awesome if Canucks could offer Datysuk a Sundin-like contract, how cool would it be to watch him play alongside Pettersson.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I'm not the one who derailed anything, nor am I wrong about this.

He'll get above $5M because some team will overpay for him. He's not worth it. Nor is he worth $5M for 5 years. Nor is he a 50 point player. You seem to prefer making things up to support your side and think that calling someone else wrong because they don't agree with your fabrication is valid. It's not.

Now you lower it to 45 point forward. He hasn't even gotten there in his career. :laugh:

He has 5 fights since the start of last season. You also act like fighting is bringing value to the team. Laughable.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if you’re saying he’s worth that contract so that when Benning does sign a stupid contract like that you will try to pass it off as being not bad. And then one year from now, when it’s known how bad of a contract that is, you’ll pull out the hindsight card.
It's just the way contracts are now..some one will over pay to get what they want...IE:Benning for example....he has givin out gross contracts to not so great players..

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's just the way contracts are now..some one will over pay to get what they want...IE:Benning for example....he has givin out gross contracts to not so great players..

And if those are the numbers being thrown out for Michael Ferland I would stay far far away. There is no reason to fall into the trap of overpaying for free agents, but Jim Benning has shown a tendency to do that every year.

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Ferland is about the last thing I would want to add right now considering we have Roussel and Virtanen both here for the next few years.

This defense desperately needs help. There's quite a few kids in the AHL right now I think could potentially break out in our organization with a change of scenery. I really liked the Leivo trade. Hopefully we can pull off another decent trade like that for a defenseman. I'm going to keep saying it, Kyle Wood would be awesome on this team.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
10 million for Pavel Datsyuk

My lord this place sometimes

For one year, it's not a big deal. I'm not a proponent on blowing all of our cap space in one off-season, so signing Datsyuk to a one-year contract gives us flexibility moving forward.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I'm cool with taking a run at Datsyuk and overpaying for one year. I think that year will do wonders for EP considering they play such a similar style with the puck. A bonus heavy one year deal, maybe for $7-8m. It always concerns me when star players never get the opportunity to play with equally talented players. No disrespect to Boeser and Horvat, but they aren't on the level of Datsyuk when it comes to creativity.

Arizona holds his rights until July 1. Maybe we announce a deal at the draft using one of our 3x 6ths to get his rights. Canucks would fill a major hole in their lineup at 1LW or even 3C if they choose to go that way. I would try to trade Granlund and Sutter and Goldy between now and next season. By then Dahlen and MacEwan should be ready.

Datsyuk-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo
Eriksson-Sutter/Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-MacEwan
Dahlen

Not the best lineup in the world, but one I think could be competitive. The D is the one that needs the overhaul though.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Also, looks like Datsyuk is coming back to North America possibly.

Datsyuk - Pettersson - Boeser
Panarin - Horvat - Ferland
Wood - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussel - Sutter - Beagle

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Karlsson
Hutton - Stecher

Markstrom
Demko
There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that we get even 2 of those guys as long as Benning is GM.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that we get even 2 of those guys as long as Benning is GM.

I know the fun thing to do on the board is to pile on GMJB, but if he's been "good" at one thing according to the hivemind, it's been overpaying for free agents. How can Benning be good at overpaying for free agents and also bad at acquiring high priced free agents when his strategy to date has been to offer them too much money for too much term? Do you have any proof of this? By my count, he has only targeted a few high-priced free agents (Eriksson, Lucic, Tavares...Miller if you count him) and (un)fortunately was successful in luring 50% of them to Vancouver.

This isn't reddit. You don't get upvotes for contributing to the echo-chamber.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I know the fun thing to do on the board is to pile on GMJB, but if he's been "good" at one thing according to the hivemind, it's been overpaying for free agents. How can Benning be good at overpaying for free agents and also bad at acquiring high priced free agents when his strategy to date has been to offer them too much money for too much term? Do you have any proof of this? By my count, he has only targeted a few high-priced free agents (Eriksson, Lucic, Tavares...Miller if you count him) and (un)fortunately was successful in luring 50% of them to Vancouver.

This isn't reddit. You don't get upvotes for contributing to the echo-chamber.
Lol Benning has went after more free agents than just those guys. You’re not going to be able to find proof of all the guys he made offers to but had the door slammed shut on his face.

Erik Karlsson and Artemi Panarin are not going to sign with the Canucks. They’re not idiots like most of our fan base that drinks the koolaid. They have seen what the morons in charge have done here and are under no delusions that we will win anything under these morons.

Not only that, but I don’t believe Benning even has the capacity to fit all those guys under the cap and/or acquire through trade.

If we use the premise that these free agents sign here only because of money, and Benning massively overpays for them, then how in the f*** will we be under the cap? With Karlsson, Panarin, even Ferland who wants Evander Kane money... that is not remotely plausible unless they all took discounts. And last time I checked, marquee free agents don’t take discounts to sign with bottom feeders that have a bad GM.
So basically it isn’t happening.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Hey man agree with your points, that he won't be able to sign 4 top UFAs (and snuck in a Miles Wood trade somehow). I just want to shift the discussion away from easy jabs like "Benning is literally bad at everything" to more meaningful discussion like the one you had posted, even if the tone was kind of childish.

Canucks have something like $32M in cap space next year, with only Boeser, Hutton, and Demko as "musts" to re-sign, and Goldobin, Granlund, Leivo, Motte, and Edler as "probably re-sign" if there's no major acquisitions. So giving Boeser and Hutton and Demko $12M that leaves $20m to fill out the roster, and that's without subtracting Sutter, Gudbranson, Schaller, Gagner, or Beagle. They could absolutely fit it in if they were so short-sighted to do so. But it is not out of the question that the Canucks are positioned well to take one or two top free agents.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i dont think the leafs have all that much cap space considering who they need to sign this summer?
I'm not going to do a deep dive on it, but they can fit their key players in this summer no problem and once those pieces are in place the job gets easier. Tinker around the core.

They've got $35m to spend and a lot of young talent in the AHL that would be making minimal NHL salaries. This is how good teams do it. Look at Tampa, they've paid their core and then they just cycle in prospects like Erne, Martel, Cirelli, etc every year. That's the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad