2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Rangers fan here
What would you guys think of Jake Virtanen for Neal Pionk?

Your proposal is a logical one and I see where you’re coming, but my answer would be hell no.

I absolutely love Virtanen and still think the kid will break out one day in some shape form. If he ever gets it together between the ears, the sky could be the limit.

I like Pionk and he’d definitely fill a need here,but I’d pass on this one.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Something not garbage I gleaned from today's Athletties from Botchford: Maybe Nashville could use Tanev. Their Big 4 is going nowhere, but their 3rd pairing is Hamhuis and Weber. Hamhuis and Tanev as a 3rd pairing for would be a luxury any team would love to have.

My Proposal:

To NAS:
Tanev

To VAN:
Fabbro
Emil Pettersson (AHL)
3rd Rounder (FLA)

Nashville still has premier assets like Tolvin and their own first to improve their club further up front. Really locks their entire D corps up for this year and next year. Nashville has no major UFAs to re-sign and 11m in cap space next year, so no salary would need to be retained or come back.

Nepotism aside, Pettersson is the top scorer for Milwaukee and would rank 4th on the Comets. He plays Center and would probably help out Utica on offence, especially if we end up recalling Gaudette and MacEwan down the stretch. He's also one of Nashville's top prospects, but that says more about Nashville's system than EP1.0

For the Canucks, they onboard Fabbro and Hughes as soon as humanly possible, get a couple games in the NHL then hopefully go on a long AHL playoff run. Maybe you pair them together to start 2019-20.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Something not garbage I gleaned from today's Athletties from Botchford: Maybe Nashville could use Tanev. Their Big 4 is going nowhere, but their 3rd pairing is Hamhuis and Weber. Hamhuis and Tanev as a 3rd pairing for would be a luxury any team would love to have.

My Proposal:

To NAS:
Tanev

To VAN:
Fabbro
Emil Pettersson (AHL)
3rd Rounder (FLA)

Nashville still has premier assets like Tolvin and their own first to improve their club further up front. Really locks their entire D corps up for this year and next year. Nashville has no major UFAs to re-sign and 11m in cap space next year, so no salary would need to be retained or come back.

Nepotism aside, Pettersson is the top scorer for Milwaukee and would rank 4th on the Comets. He plays Center and would probably help out Utica on offence, especially if we end up recalling Gaudette and MacEwan down the stretch. He's also one of Nashville's top prospects, but that says more about Nashville's system than EP1.0

For the Canucks, they onboard Fabbro and Hughes as soon as humanly possible, get a couple games in the NHL then hopefully go on a long AHL playoff run. Maybe you pair them together to start 2019-20.
Well that wont work.Emil Pettersson just went to Arizona.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Stecher will be gone before you know it. Linden was his main supporter.

If I were him I’d want out. Coaching staff won’t play him enough. Career is stagnating here.

Big error by Dim imo...but that’s Dims MO: make big errors.

Stecher is playing big minutes in the top 4 and on pace for 27 points and a +27 season. He got to those numbers after being tethered to Pouliot for a big portion of the year.

He's taken as big a step forward as anyone on the team, which is the complete opposite of stagnating.

He's not going anywhere. Trevor Linden had no idea who Troy Stecher was when Benning signed him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Stecher is playing big minutes in the top 4 and on pace for 27 points and a +27 season. He got to those numbers after being tethered to Pouliot for a big portion of the year.

He's taken as big a step forward as anyone on the team, which is the complete opposite of stagnating.

He's not going anywhere. Trevor Linden had no idea who Troy Stecher was when Benning signed him.
He hasn't been playing big minutes in the top 4 until very recently, but he's definitely showing he can handle the minutes lately.

They've got the framework for a decent d corps now, they need to turf the rest. Problem is there is nothing on the RS on the free agent market other than some big tickets.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Rangers fan here
What would you guys think of Jake Virtanen for Neal Pionk?

Sorry not familiar with this board lol
And would you consider moving Virtanen? If you were hypothetically trading him to NYR what would you want in return?

I appreciate that you've offered your team's highest scoring defenceman (so far this season) and tried to consider approximate value, but imo this proposal doesn't work for the Canucks for 3 reasons:

1. The Canucks are carrying 4 RHD in Tanev, Stecher, Gudbranson and Biega. All are under contract through the end of the 2019-20 season and none are likely be considering for buyouts.

Imo Pionk, were he with the Canucks, would play behind Tanev and Stecher, so would be on the 3rd pair if he actually played. I think he'd be an upgrade on the 3rd pair but he'd leave the Canucks with an extra depth defenceman, one of them making $4 million per season.

While RHD is a position where the Canucks aren't strong, it isn't a place they're lacking depth. Pionk appears to me to add depth and to be a 3rd pairing upgrade..

2. What the Canucks would be giving up is one of their 3 natural top-6 right wingers. They have Boeser, Virtanen and Josh Leivo. For a 4th right winger they play a left winger out of position, typically on the 4th line. It doesn't work terribly to play somebody like Loui Eriksson or Markus Granlund as 4th line RW, but if they are the 3rd and 4th line right wingers it is a downgrade from Virtanen.

Unless the Canucks are getting the much better player, I don't think it helps the Canucks to add a 3rd pair RHD in exchange for a middle-line RW.

3. As for upside potential, between Virtanen and Pionk I'd guess Virtanen has the more potential for improvement.

On a quick look at the Rangers' roster I don't easily see a simple move that includes Virtanen going to the Rangers that at this time would make sense for both teams. Sorry. (Had to add that-I'm Canadian, eh?)

Last edited:

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Laurence Pilut is a LHD who the Canucks should target. He's been sitting regularly in Buffalo this year, but based on what he did in the AHL I think there is a lot of potential there.
Laurence Pilut is one-time Canuck Lawrence Nycholat reincarnated.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Toronto will give someone picks and prospects to take Zaitsev off their hands at some point.
That’s basically a 1st+ type of cap dump! It’s 5 more years of 4.5m cap hit for a guy that’s barely a #5

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
They've got the framework for a decent d corps now, they need to turf the rest. Problem is there is nothing on the RS on the free agent market other than some big tickets.

There are 3 right side guys they should put offers out to this summer. Karlsson is the pipedream, but more realistically Stralman or Myers would be big upgrades on Gudbranson. Nick Jensen another fall back option.

Edler Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Hughes XXX
Juolevi Biega

The left side looks all but set for 2-3 more years. The right side looks 1 piece short. There is a lot of talk that the whole defense needs to be re-built, but as of today, it's looking like a much more manageable job than earlier thought. Can't help but wonder if they circle back on Subban too. He could shake loose due to the expansion draft and is has the skillset we're after.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

There are 3 right side guys they should put offers out to this summer. Karlsson is the pipedream, but more realistically Stralman or Myers would be big upgrades on Gudbranson. Nick Jensen another fall back option.

Edler Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Hughes XXX
Juolevi Biega

The left side looks all but set for 2-3 more years. The right side looks 1 piece short. There is a lot of talk that the whole defense needs to be re-built, but as of today, it's looking like a much more manageable job than earlier thought. Can't help but wonder if they circle back on Subban too. He could shake loose due to the expansion draft and is has the skillset we're after.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Oh, absolutely. It’ll suck for them. But they’ll do that before they trade away core players.
Imho they’ll lose as much quality depth as much as they are forced to trade away cap hits that are hurting them. That’s Marleau deal is killing them as much as Zaitsev’s.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Edler Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Hughes XXX
Juolevi Biega

This could very well be the case but it assumes that Hughes' transition will be relatively short and that Juolevi will be able to step in next year after losing a lot of his development time. The 7th defenseman generally gets a lot of games. That said, they need to ensure they leave space on the left side for Hughes and Juolevi to step into - it may take a year or two for that group to be competitive.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Imho they’ll lose as much quality depth as much as they are forced to trade away cap hits that are hurting them. That’s Marleau deal is killing them as much as Zaitsev’s.

Toronto’s 1st has little value considering where they should be finishing in the playoffs, Zaitsev would have to include a prospect and the 1sr for me to take on that albatross contract, even if he replaced Gudbranson at an equal value but maybe higher upside you are still blocking the up and comers over the next 5 years

Reactions: mstad101

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
One year of Marleau isn't an issue.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Toronto’s 1st has little value considering where they should be finishing in the playoffs, Zaitsev would have to include a prospect and the 1sr for me to take on that albatross contract, even if he replaced Gudbranson at an equal value but maybe higher upside you are still blocking the up and comers over the next 5 years
In my original response to Zaitsev cap dump I mentioned 1st+

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
It will very likely make them lose Johnsson or Kapanen, so yes, it's an issue.
Both! If you have interest in Kapanen, the first thing you do is ready a Marner offer sheet! If Marner signs I sign Kapanen to an offersheet. Isn’t the 2nd round compensation around 4 million these days? That’s an easy win! Johnson screams traded with Marleau or the 1st and Zaitsev in a cap dumping deal

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
not if he has a Salo like injury for the start of next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad