2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Leafs should absolutely re-sign marner and trade kadri. 4.5 million is a lot to be paying their 3rd line centre.

Kadri is a really good player and should net them a solid return. Should be able to get at least a young 3rd line centre with upside and a young defenseman with top-4 upside.

Yep, literally exactly what Pittsburgh did with Jordan Staal when he become a luxury they could no longer afford.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yep, literally exactly what Pittsburgh did with Jordan Staal when he become a luxury they could no longer afford.
I don't see Kadri as a problem at all. I'd rather have the middle of the ice locked up and go cheap on scoring wingers.

Marleau's contract is only an issue for next year.

Kapanen has no arb rights and this is the only season of 3 that have been near middle six level. They'll tighten the screws on him. Johnsson has arb rights....that will be interesting, but moving forward they have quite a number of good prospects and minor leaguers who could fill roles/holes cheap and just like the good teams in the past, good players will now want to be part of that group and take lesser contracts on the short term to see if they can leverage a season next to a Marner/Tavares/Matthews into something bigger or maybe win a cup.

They have Sandin/Liljegren coming on the blueline on ELC's, as well as Borgstrom (played half the season in the NHL last season) as well as Rosen.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Anyone predicting the demise of the Leafs is out to lunch. Having lots of really good players is a good problem to have. They could trade a 22 year old Kapanen coming off a likely 20 goal season, or they could trade Kadri, or they could trade Nylander and get a really good return, . The good players on their books are still assets that are valued around the league. Since they're in a jam, they don't have the flexibility to take back salary and their negotiating position is weaker, but its not like they would have to give up some of these players for free.

Can a team like the Canucks take advantage? We would have some short term cap flexibility, and perhaps if Marleau is willing we can take his contract to help us acquire a player like Kapanen.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I don't know if you saw it, but I had posted about a Heponiemi/Gudbranson trade a few pages back.

After having posted it, I asked myself: What does Benning want and how does he operate? Benning trades for targets, not for value. A Heponiemi+Pysyk return is a value based trade. A pragmatic move. It supposes that Heponiemi will be good enough in the future that the prized Gudbranson can be dealt for a lesser Pysyk now. However, Benning doesn't work that way. The only time I've seen him trade for the future is when he sold off players at the 2017 TDL.

Benning wants either a top6 LW and/or top4 RHD. He has spent 5 seasons looking for the latter and has failed to acquire one. I don't see Gudbranson helping here. That said, a top6 LW may be possible. It will take the right team, with the right asset and at the right time. This is where my Hoffman idea comes from:

- FLA is the perfect trade team for Gudbranson. Tallon values EG and they have a desire to acquire a RHD.

- Hoffman is a LW shooter. Exactly what Benning is looking for. The criticism of Goldobin is goals, it's not actually his 2 way play. The criticism has become his 2way play because he's not absolving all concerns about his offense. If he were a better shooter, Benning wouldn't be trying to look for a better shooting top6 LW now.

- Hoffman's spot is in jeopardy if FLA acquires Panarin. This satisfies the timing aspect to the deal being in the offseason.

- Hoffman was just traded this past offseason and the best asset he received was a 2nd rounder 1 year removed. So it's not like Tallon is married to this player. Nor did he spend an exorbitant amount to acquire him.

- Hoffman is UFA after next season. His contract will be a factor.

Benning is after targets with certain traits. Shooting is definitely a trait he values. Hoffman and Gudbranson are about 1.5 years apart in age, and Gudbranson has 1 more year on his contract than does Hoffman. There's a deal here IMO. The quirk is that Hoffman is now scoring at a career high rate this year. That's the challenge (valuation).

I did see that, it is where I got it from. For me that would near ideal if it wasn't a draft pick coming back.

I don't think too many would be upset for Gudbranson/Hoffman swap. Hoffman would be a good add to either the Petterson or Horavt line. If Florida is targeting Panarin, that swap may not happen until closer to free agency.

Edit: Read your post from the previous page. Could happen sooner then.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Bless up. Where are you getting this information, Melvin?

Gudbranson is good for two things: 1) making Hutton's next contract hopefully cheaper if his agent isnt wise enough to present the above data. 2) the tank.

That is absolutely atrocious.

I parse it directly from the NHL.com TOI reports from each game, for example last night's game.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Since we are all hating on Guddy so much. Do you guys think a trade of Zaitsev for Guddy might work out? (I'm tired of seeing Pouliot with Guddy all the time). I feel like Toronto should add a bit, but the premise would be there. Any thoughts?

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Since we are all hating on Guddy so much. Do you guys think a trade of Zaitsev for Guddy might work out? (I'm tired of seeing Pouliot with Guddy all the time). I feel like Toronto should add a bit, but the premise would be there. Any thoughts?
Hell no. Zaitsev is better but he's still not good. Signed to a long term deal with a higher cap hit. If Gudbrandon gets traded it should be for picks in the upcoming draft.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Toronto will give someone picks and prospects to take Zaitsev off their hands at some point.
It would have to be a pretty nice offer to take him back. Not a 4th tier prospect and mid round pick. And/or they would have to eat a little of his salary. That was a real dumb signing. It should’ve either been a bit less $ (and/or) shorter term. Don’t even feel bad for them this offseason.

IMO he’s only a slight improvement our bottom pairing D. But at least we can get rid of ours much sooner.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Sorry not familiar with this board lol
And would you consider moving Virtanen? If you were hypothetically trading him to NYR what would you want in return?

I would not consider moving Virtanen at this time.

NYR and VAN seem to be in the same position where the objective is to collect young talent like Virtanen. I'm not sure they are a trade fit for that reason.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Rangers fan here
What would you guys think of Jake Virtanen for Neal Pionk?
How about Derrik Pouliot for Chris Kreider?

How you feel reading that proposal is how i feel about yours.

Before you say Pionk is on pace for X pts blah blah blah tell me why he would be an upgrade on Tanev and Stecher, how he is defensively and why we trade a cost controlled 22yr old PF who's trending positively for a small defenseman who is being healthy scratched?

Not a chance i do that deal

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
How about Derrik Pouliot for Chris Kreider?

How you feel reading that proposal is how i feel about yours.

Before you say Pionk is on pace for X pts blah blah blah tell me why he would be an upgrade on Tanev and Stecher, how he is defensively and why we trade a cost controlled 22yr old PF who's trending positively for a small defenseman who is being healthy scratched?

Not a chance i do that deal
C'mon you know the trade value between Virtanen & Pionk is a lot closer than Pouliot & Kreider lol. Many seem to think Pionk is worth more than Virtanen. Him being scratched is because we have too many RHD and we rotate them in and out of the lineup, Pionk has played the most games out of any of our RHD, just right now DeAngelo has got the nod over him. He is way more productive than either of those defensemen, and people are speculating Tanev isn't re-signing with Vancouver.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
C'mon you know the trade value between Virtanen & Pionk is a lot closer than Pouliot & Kreider lol. Many seem to think Pionk is worth more than Virtanen. Him being scratched is because we have too many RHD and we rotate them in and out of the lineup, Pionk has played the most games out of any of our RHD, just right now DeAngelo has got the nod over him. He is way more productive than either of those defensemen, and people are speculating Tanev isn't re-signing with Vancouver.
yes im sure thats why you want to trade him right?
I've seen him a few times...he's got decent wheels and offensive skills.....but he also was trash defensively had poor gap control and looks very much like the undrafted NCAA prospects that teams get for free every few years. He's trending the wrong way and that is exactly why you are offering him up because if he was "way more productive" and actually really good you wouldnt be shopping him on our boards

I dont care to argue your teams player values vs mine and get into a pissing match but IMO Pionk is a guy i would offer someone like Goldobin who is the same age can score a bit but also has some of the same issues......Virtanen would require a decent overpayment because he is a unique skillset for our teams composition is firmly established in our top9 forwards and quite frankly i dont even know where Pionk would fit in on ours. I think you can probably understand putting a hole in our lineup for a guy who creates an issue on our RD depth would be a dumb move a year and a half ahead of Tanev needing to be replaced IF he goes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Pionk is a valid target for VAN. He fits a need. That said, that need does not require moving Virtanen to resolve.

Virtanen is in that weird zone where he’s not good enough to be declared a core player moving forward and not bad enough to jettison. That’s a hard player to move.

The other part of this is his wildly disparate skill set on this team. No one on this team is like JV. Removing him is removing a unique skill set. It has to be worth the stretch. I don’t think Pionk is the player that gets it there.

Reactions: Cquant

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
When Markstrom took a puck to the neck in Chicago I had to think about Canucks goalies. They'd be in serious trouble if Markstrom went out. I think this is undertood elsewhere. A veteran back up seems like a good idea?

member 290103

I am concerned our management undervalues Stetcher and will trade him for some strange reclamation project

Stecher will be gone before you know it. Linden was his main supporter.

If I were him I’d want out. Coaching staff won’t play him enough. Career is stagnating here.

Big error by Dim imo...but that’s Dims MO: make big errors.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
hell no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad